Start by marking “The Bookshop on the Shore” as Want to Read:
The Bookshop on the Shore

The Bookshop on the Shore

(Scottish Bookshop #2)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  7,632 ratings  ·  1,133 reviews
A grand baronial house on Loch Ness, a quirky small-town bookseller, and a single mom looking for a fresh start all come together in this witty and warm-hearted novel by New York Times bestselling author Jenny Colgan.

Desperate to escape from London, single mother Zoe wants to build a new life for herself and her son Hari.She can barely afford the crammed studio apartment
Published June 25th 2019 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published June 13th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Bookshop on the Shore, please sign up.
Kristin Yes, I was so confused! It should be Jaz and Hari not Jaz and Shanti.…moreYes, I was so confused! It should be Jaz and Hari not Jaz and Shanti. (less)
Meg They were Jaz's parents. It was a way to show that Jaz had finally owned up to the fact that he has a child and wanted his parents to meet him.…moreThey were Jaz's parents. It was a way to show that Jaz had finally owned up to the fact that he has a child and wanted his parents to meet him. (less)

·  7,632 ratings  ·  1,133 reviews

Start your review of The Bookshop on the Shore
Karen Whittard
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenny colgan books are always like a massive hug in book form. The kind of hug that you desperately need and when you get that hug everything is made that little bit better and that little bit more brighter. I absolutely loved this amazing book.
Erin
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Goodreads giveaway win!

This book just wasn't for me. Jenny Colgan is a very popular author so if you love her books I'm sure you'll love this one too.
The Bookshop on the Shore did nothing for me. This book is over 400 pages and I could have gotten the same story in 130 pages. Nothing happens in this book, I'm sure if I really searched I could find the plot but I just don't care enough to look for it. All the characters were either boring or annoying. I didn't care about anything that happened
Lisa
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-bookstores
The title with the word bookshop drew me to this novel, but it is not about a bookshop. (A bookmobile plays a fairly minor role here) It turned out to be a decent comfort read.
Maureen
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
There was apparently a serious lack of proofreading before this book went to press. Starting in chapter 2 and continuing on steadily throughout there were extra words in sentences and other errors (even use of the wrong character’s name) that disrupted the flow of this lovely book. A book so heavily advertised should have at least had a read through! I have never seen so many errors in published writing.

That being said, I really enjoyed the characters and storyline of this book even more than
Linden
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Zoe’s a single mom with no money living in London. Her son’s father never seems to have money to help, so when she gets a job offer in Scotland as a nanny and a bookseller, she takes 4 year old Hari, who has never spoken, to the remote Scottish village. Much to her chagrin, she learns that the children have gone through at least 6 nannies in the recent past, and are determined to be rid of the 7th as soon as they can. Jenny Colgan is a great storyteller, and I enjoyed reading about Zoe’s ...more
Jessaka
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I am a sucker for a book that says “The Bookshop... " After all, bookshops are were us readers love to spen our time, and I have been in quite a few in my life, loving the old used bookstores best. Forget Barnes & Noble and other modern stores; I like quaint.

Well, this book was supposed to be about a bookshop on the shore. Very little time is spent in the bookshop, and I have no idea what the shore has to do with this book.

The audio book was narrated by a British woman, which made me think
Alayne Emmett
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always look forward to reading a Jenny Colgan book as it’s always a lovely read. This one was no exception it had all the elements that I love and they are always I her books. Although this was a large book I flew through the pages and read it very quickly. It was full of the usual highs and lows but it always finishes on a high. Every book I’ve read of hers is a joy to read and I always look forward to reading her next one when it is out.
Darinda
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: womens-fiction
Zoe is a single mother living in London. She is struggling to make ends meet, and wants a better life for her and her son, Hari. With some help from Surinder, Hari's father's sister, Zoe gets an opportunity in the Scottish Highlands. Zoe will work as a nanny for a single father of three and will run Nina's bookmobile while Nina is on bedrest during her pregnancy.

Some familiar faces from The Bookshop on the Corner - Nina, Surinder, and Lennox - are in this book, but this is very much Zoe's story.
Amy
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Do you ever just completely forget to post a review? Because SAME. I read this over my vacation back in early July and thought it was adorable and I just now realized I never shared my thoughts This was charming, sweet and cozy with a fantastic setting and a cast of quirky supporting characters. My first Jenny Colgan book but definitely not my last, I can see myself turning to one of her books when I want something comforting and light. ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
4.5 Stars. This book totally surprised me. I went into this one thinking it was a cute summer romance with a ditsy woman who loved books, boy was I wrong. Jenny Colgan has introduced us to a family in chaos. Zoe packs up and heads to Scotland with her four year old son Hari, from busy London to become a nanny for a family with three children. What she did not expect were the issues this family has and still is dealing with. She also works part-time driving the local bookmobile when the owner is ...more
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For my full review, visit me here at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...

When I saw this book approaching my hands, ready to be devoured, I was so excited. I have had many positive experiences reading a Jenny Colgan novel, and this was no exception. I loved this book on many levels and I could not put it down. In fact, I am a little sad that it is now finished!

For my full review, visit me here at https://mrsbrownsbooks.wordpress.com/...
mindful.librarian ☀️
(free review copy) Dare I say.....my new favorite Jenny Colgan? I have yet to meet a world of hers that hasn’t utterly enchanted me and this return to Loch Ness and the traveling book shop utterly enchanted me.
Kathryn
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG I loved this book, I just was so annoyed when it ended, the best kind of annoyed though. I have read this every spare minute I had, I love this kind of book magic that draws me into a story. It often surprised a laugh out of me. It often had me worrying over the outcome for characters. There are some serious issues that are explored.

Zoe brings her own brand of book beliefs to the blue van while Nina is busy holed up in a hospital bed. She brings her own brand of being a nanny to three "lost"
My_Strange_Reading
DNF. 50% I'm so bummed after I absolutely LOVED Bookshop on the Corner, but this story feels very threadbare and doesn't really flow. All the characters feel two dimensional and don't really seem to have much depth. Such a disappointment. ...more
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Her books can be a bit predictable, but when I'm looking for a damsel in distress rescued by a handsome prince, and a fun book to listen to that won't require a lot of concentration while I'm doing something else, these books are perfect. And the Scottish setting on the shore of Loch Ness was a nice bonus! This would make a great beach read too. Audiobook by Fiona Hardingham, also nicely done.
Abi
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Single mother Zoe is desperately struggling to make ends meet in London. Her 4-year-old son Hari is perfect, except for the fact he doesn’t speak – at all. When Zoe’s landlord raises the rent on her dismal studio flat, she realises she has nowhere to turn.

When an opportunity for not one but two jobs arises in Scotland, Zoe decides this could be the change she desperately needs.

Faced with her new boss Ramsay, and his 3 unruly children, Zoe begins to wonder if she’s made a terrible mistake. But
Leona
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was an enjoyable read up until the ending. I felt like I was dropped off the side of a building.

There were many serious issues the author chose to handle which added tremendous depth to the story. However, they were dropped for a sweet pat finish that unfortunately ended up trivializing the plot and making the characters unlikable. From the father who basically ignored his children, to the single mother who let everyone walk all over her, I kept hoping these two would grow into characters
Sally906
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Zoe’s story. This story takes up just after The Bookshop on the Corner finished. The MC of that one, Nina, is pregnant and on an enforced bed rest. Circumstances lead to Londoner, and single mum, Zoe travelling to Scotland to take over the travelling Bookshop and become an au pair for 3 very unruly and problematic children whose mother has left them and father is not coping.

I didn’t like Nina as much in this book, she was a minor character this time - Zoe had a different book
Sasha
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anglophile, 2019
3.5 — I jumped into this new Jenny Colgan expecting my usual comfortable J.C. formula: quirky girl meets boy, quirkiness ensues, love prevails and wins, and all is happy in the end. But NO. Jenny surprised me a bit here. Because while, yes, the precious J.C. formula does shine through eventually, it's not quite as prevalent as usual. Instead of the usual hippy-happy rom-com, this one has a little more depth to it. A desperately poor, lonely single mum with a toddler who won't speak and a ...more
Kim
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, 2019
I loved everything about this book. Zoe is in desperate need of somewhere to stay and a way of earning some money. Her friend finds her somewhere to stay where the children need an aupair and she gets to work on the fabulous touring book bus, whilst Nina has bed rest whilst expecting her new baby.

The children she looks after are a real handful- but it was fascinating to see how Zoe dealt with each problem and how quickly she drew them into her world. The small boy also helps her son who has
Peebee
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jenny Colgan’s books always make me want to take over the characters’ lives, so now I’m going to move to Scotland and manage a mobile bookstore and be an au pair. Nice escapist reading: even if the plot is predictable and it’s a little too treacly sweet, it’s like comfort food in book form.
Cassidy (Cassidys.Bookshelf)
**3.5/5**
A sweet book with a gorgeous setting as always, but I don't think I'll remember a ton about it in the months to come.
Sue
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: british-authors
Readers can always depend on Jenny Colgan to give them a story with a personal dilemma, a little mystery, a few laughs and a happily ever after ending. This book is Jenny at her best. She says in her introduction that this book isn't really a sequel to The Bookshop on the Corner but has a few of the same characters. After reading both, I think you need to read them in order to understand some of the nuances of the second book.

Zoe is living a dismal life in London with her young son, Hari. She is
Alison
Single mum Zoe is struggling to bring up her son Hari in a tiny bedsit in Wembley so when an opportunity arises to relocate to Loch Ness, Scotland and act as au-pair to three children whilst also running a mobile bookshop she jumps at the opportunity, envisaging herself as a modern Mary Poppins reading books to rosy cheeked cherubs. The reality is somewhat different, the bookshop's customers rely heavily on the bookshop's owner Nina to know the books they want/need and Zoe is floundering. The ...more
Tiffany PSquared
A perfectly crafted story about a life reinvented and finding new joys in the midst of upheaval.

See my full review on That New Book Smell
Marina
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a surprize!! I thought it would a very typical romance novel, it turned out not to be. I wanted to read it because.... well, the obvious, it’s about books. It is so good and to be honest, after the introduction from the author, it was clear, this was going to be a joy. Which it was! :)
♥Rachel♥
Would've liked this more if it wasn't a downer for Zoe for so long. It must have been at least at the 40-50% mark (not sure because audio book) until things started looking up for Zoe. I wanted more romance too; (view spoiler).

Also, the book description says that Nina, the bookstore owner helped Zoe put down roots? I didn't really find Nina helpful or particularly nice to Zoe. Yes, she hired Zoe but that was because she basically had no other
Sheri
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new book by Jenny Colgan is always a treat - there’s just something so engaging about her characters and plots, despite the formulaic titles (as Jenny herself points out in an introduction, authors don’t necessarily get to pick the titles...) So although it may sound like yet another version of Cream Buns at the Little Teashop on the Corner Next to the Bookshop of Happy Dreams, The Bookshop on the Shore was a lovely read.

A sequel, of sorts, to The Little Shop of Happy Ever After (*sigh*) it
Frenchorchidea
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best book i read in 2019 and more! It's a very well written book with a very unique storyline. If you are looking for a good chicklit book where the focus is not on romance, this book by Jenny Colgan is a very good choice! There is romance but very very very little one. This book is more about the life of Zoe going to live in a remote village in Scotland with her young son that is not speaking yet (but should be considering his age) and how she will cope as an au-pair in a ...more
Jasmine
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one surprised me a bit. I thought it would be a quick little summer romance novel with no real plotline, but i was pleasenty surprised. This book will speak to anyone who loves books! I love how often they quote lines from other great books and Authors. The way Jenny is able to make you fall in love with Scotland, with all it's scenery , characters and local quirks shows how lovely a storyteller she is. Although it's a romance, I love how she touched on mental health issues in such a ...more

• The Book Charmer (Dove Pond, #1)
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • The Giver of Stars
  • Let It Snow
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • Window on the Bay
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • Things You Save in a Fire
  • The Summer Guests
  • The Flatshare
  • Surfside Sisters
  • The Summer of Sunshine and Margot
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
Jenny Colgan is the author of numerous bestselling novels, including 'The Little Shop of Happy Ever After' and 'Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery', which are also published by Sphere.' Meet Me at the Cupcake Café' won the 2012 Melissa Nathan Award for Comedy Romance and was a Sunday Times Top Ten bestseller, as was 'Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams', which won the RNA Romantic ...more

Scottish Bookshop (3 books)
  • The Bookshop on the Corner
  • 500 Miles from You
“once when this woman was going on and on about how she would never read on download, that there was nothing like a real book and – I promise I normally am never rude to people but she was being truly insufferable – I said, ‘Well, they’re really only for people who read a lot’ which was mean of me but quite satisfying also.” 5 likes
“In short, she self-medicated with books.

(By the way, as the author of this novel, and one who has herself always self-medicated with books, I cannot rightfully attest or deny whether this is a better way of dealing with 'real life' than any other. In fact, as a reader (all writers are just readers one step to the side), I'm not actually sure I believe in this 'real life'. I know it is a terrible betrayal to say this, but come on, aren't books - whisper it - quite a lot better in real life? In books, baddies get blown up or chopped up or sent to prison. In real life, they're your boss or your ex. In books, you get to know what happened. In real life, sometimes you don't get to know what happened ever. They're not even sure they've found Amelia Earhart. So. Books are absolutely the thing in my opinion, or as the old saying goes: whatever gets you through the night (which I should say is also books. Books get you through the night).)”
4 likes