Start by marking “The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)

The Beholder

(The Beholder #1)

Selah has waited her whole life for a happily ever after. As the only daughter of the leader of Potomac, she knows her duty is to find the perfect match, a partner who will help secure the future of her people. Now that day has finally come.

But after an excruciatingly public rejection from her closest childhood friend, Selah’s stepmother suggests an unthinkable solution: S
Expected publication: June 4th 2019 by HarperTeen

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Beholder by Anna Bright
    The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
    Release date: Jun 04, 2019

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 2586 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 01 - Apr 29, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Beholder, please sign up.

Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
    DNF @ pg. 217
    Video review - https://youtu.be/zoBNGM4nViQ?t=408

I’m sorry I’ve been DNFing so much recently but I’m also not sorry because I also have way too many books I really want to read to waste my time. To sum up why I DNFed: nothing happened.
    شيماء ✨
    THE ODYSSEY MEETS CINDERELLA. (or, Once Upon a Time meets the Bachelorette)

Hello 911, I'd like to report a premise that's specifically targeting my money
    Emily May
    Nov 16, 2018 marked it as arc-2019
    I will not...

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀
    *Adds to TBR*

Seriously, though. Odyssey retelling.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
    Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
    I really enjoyed this!

The Beholder is an enchanting read, full of myths and folklore. The premise drew me in quickly. Basically, we have Selah, who is the Seneshal-elect of Potomac (meaning she'll be placed in charge one day). Potomac (from what I gather) is an island somewhere between the coast of England and New York. In order to rule, Selah must marry, but when she proposes to the boy she loves, well ... let's just say it doesn't go as she suspects. So, scrambling to fix things, her stepmoth
    Candace Robinson
    Me: Never judge a book by its cover!
    Me: I totally just did and want it now!

Seriously when I saw this cover, I knew I had to have it! Then I read the blurb and was like, ohhhh I have to have it even more! I mean, The Odyssey meets Cinderella? Heck to the freaking yeah!

Enjoyed the story here! The writing sucked me right in and I couldn't let go. Selah was a great character when it came to speaking up and being strong, doing what she believed in. Loved that! Now, when it came to boys she was a litt
    destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
    1. "fjords" is one of my #1 synopsis buzzwords

2. HAVE YOU SEEN THIS FREAKING COVER, MY GODS
    Angelica
    Mar 11, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    but like, can we talk about this cover though?

seriously though, this looks like something that should be hanging in some sort of estate or something. I can't wait to read it! thank you so much for the ARC!

**ARC was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own**

Follow Me Here Too: My Blog || Twitter || Bloglovin' || Instagram || Tumblr
    Anna Bright
    Nov 18, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
    i loved writing this book, and i love its characters. i hope you have as much fun reading as i had writing. <3
    Elise (TheBookishActress)
    releases: 4 June 2019
    I didn’t know I needed an Odyssey and Cinderella mashup until now and also DEFINITELY didn't know i needed this cover
    Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
    ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

Buckle up, folks. This isn’t going to be a review.

This is going to be a rant.

Let me start with my biggest issue. They seem to have taken it off the blurb now, but this book was marketed as an Odyssey retelling. It is NOT an Odyssey retelling. It has as much in common with The Odyssey as Harry Potter does.

And, here is the key, frustrating thing: HAVING A CHARACTER CALLED HOMER WHO APPEARS FOR TWO SECONDS 🔴DOES NOT🔴 MAKE YOUR BOOK AN OD
    Jodi Meadows
    Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    If you love falling in love with fictional characters, you're going to love this book.
    Sara
    Apr 02, 2019 marked it as wishlist
    I’m almost 100% that this is the (view spoiler). And I’m super excited for it.
    Melanie
    ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

You all know I'm living in my Odyssey retelling trashcan for life. Hype!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
    ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
    ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)
    Sarah Glenn Marsh
    A stunning, sweeping tale that combines elements of beloved classics and yet is somehow entirely original. A unique and unforgettable fairytale.
    Ashlee » Library In The Country
    THE COVER IS BEAUTIFUL.
    This book looks amazing.
    Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
    Jul 09, 2018 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
    I was here first! I found out about this book in June! And I staked me claim with the first review! Just kidding. But in all seriousness, I really need this book
    Mel Anie (finals - 2months)
    Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: anyone who likes books with multiple love-interests
    This ARC was provided via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest opinion. Thank you HarperTeen!

Actual rating: 3,75

Retelling:
    Let's begin with retelling thingy. It wasn't really a Cinderella or Odyssey retelling. Ok, we have a bad, selfish, greedy, and manipulative stepmother. We have Homer, and Penelope is making an appearance once or twice. We have Baba Yaga too. A tale of Saint George. Well, there is a lot of tales in this book. I wouldn't call this book an exact retelling since those storie
    Amanda
    Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Wow, so much better than I ever expected. I need the sequel NOWW.

Full review to come!!
    Lily Meade
    Dec 06, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: agent-sister
    MY AGENT SISTER! ANNA!!!!!!!!

@HarperTeen, you should totally put rose gold foil on the cover. Just saying... that would be a thing that is cool. This is a completely unbiased opinion and totally not influenced by the author AT ALL.
    Samidha Kalia
    *Notes: An advanced copy of the book was provided in exchange of an honest review. This is an ARC, so quotes are subject to change. I would like to thank @HaperCollinsCa for the copy.*

🌟🌟

Sigh, this is going to be tough.

Just to start, do not be deceived by the blurb and think this is an Odyssey retelling. It is not. Let it be known that this book has nothing in common with the legendary Odyssey, unless a ship, a royal heir, and the sea are your words to describe it.

The novel starts wi

Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    “It’s not what you look like, it’s how you see,’ she used to always say, and she believed someone who didn’t read only ever saw through their own eyes.”

I like this sentence, too bad every man Selah is interested in is described as the most handsome man who ever lived.

3 Stars— Thank you to Edelweiss for providing me with an arc in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger warnings: Physical assault

First, I didn’t find this to be anything like the Odyssey or Cinderella. Don’t let this factor sway y
    Hannah F. Whitten
    This book is a gem. YA is rife with heroines who are assassins, warrior queens, etc—in all of that, Selah is a breath of fresh air. A teenage protagonist who actually feels like a teenager, with all the sweetness and heartbreak and stormy emotions that comes with it, who is allowed to be soft and feminine in ways that the story always treats like strengths rather than weaknesses. Deftly written alternate history, steadily mounting stakes, and SO MUCH ROMANCE make this super fun to read.
    rachel
    Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
    Lexi
    Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Once again it’s 3 am and I’m trying not to sob at work. Excuse me, but how am i supposed to go on with that ending?!?! TORDEN deserves happiness. God Selah’s growth was beautiful. I’m so broken, I’m so sad. 😭💔 yet so so proud of the character that Selah chose to be after living as a pawn for so long.

I NEED BOOK TWO NOW!!!
    Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
    Retellings are my favourite kind of reads. The fact that this book is a mash-up of The Odyssey and Cinderella has me jumping with excitement. How cool does that sound? The cover is also all sorts of amazing as well.
    Frank
    pre-review Nov 2018
    The Selection? Cinderella? Odyssey? mixed?

sayeth wat?
    Alyson Kent
    Thank you Edelweiss and HarperTeen for the ARC.

I really struggled rating this one.

Pros:

Fast, easy read.

Selah’s growth and continued gained confidence.

I’m very intrigued and invested in the larger story that’s being told around the whole “Selah’s visiting suitors” plot.

I’m wondering if several characters will make a reappearance, because I’m super curious about what’s happening to them next.

Cons:

Personal preference, but I don’t like polygon romances, especially when there’s insta-lust/love/attr
    Britt
    Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Thank all the gods that there will be a book 2!! The only question now is how to wait until then…

”It’s not what you look like, its how you see,” she used to say, and she believed that someone who didn’t read only ever saw through their own eyes.”

This book had a bit of a slow start for me but once it got rolling I devoured the rest in one sitting. The Beholder takes you on a world-wide adventure with schemes and politics, lots of romance, history and other cultures, and so many emotions. I loved
    « previous 1 3 4 next »
    Literally Leander: First Impressions - August 1 6 Apr 02, 2019 01:28PM
    • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
    • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
    • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
    • The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
    • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
    • Nameless Queen
    • Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon
    • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
    • All the Stars and Teeth
    • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow #1)
    • Dreaming Darkly
    • Incendiary
    • We Rule the Night
    • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
    • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
    • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
    • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
    • Crown of Coral and Pearl
    I believe in woods, mountains, highways, cobblestones, roller coasters, dancing, concerts, cherry Pop Tarts, books, and magic.
    When I'm not reading or writing on my couch, I'm dragging my husband off on an adventure, communing with Salem (my kitten/spiritual familiar), or causing trouble at One More Page Books, where I work.

**note: i don't accept GR friends anymore, because of amazon review policy

The Beholder (2 books)
    • Untitled (The Beholder, #2)