Start by marking “The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)

The Beholder

(The Beholder #1)

Selah has waited her whole life for a happily ever after. As the only daughter of the leader of Potomac, she knows her duty is to find the perfect match, a partner who will help secure the future of her people. Now that day has finally come.

But after an excruciatingly public rejection from her closest childhood friend, Selah’s stepmother suggests an unthinkable solution: S
Published June 4th 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Beholder, please sign up.

Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
DNF @ pg. 217
Video review - https://youtu.be/zoBNGM4nViQ?t=408

I’m sorry I’ve been DNFing so much recently but I’m also not sorry because I also have way too many books I really want to read to waste my time. To sum up why I DNFed: nothing happened.
Chaima ✨ شيماء
THE ODYSSEY MEETS CINDERELLA. (or, Once Upon a Time meets the Bachelorette)

Hello 911, I'd like to report a premise that's specifically targeting my money
Emily May
Nov 16, 2018 marked it as lost-interest
I will not...

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀
*Adds to TBR*

Seriously, though. Odyssey retelling.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I really enjoyed this!

The Beholder is an enchanting read, full of myths and folklore. The premise drew me in quickly. Basically, we have Selah, who is the Seneshal-elect of Potomac (meaning she'll be placed in charge one day). Potomac (from what I gather) is an island somewhere between the coast of England and New York. In order to rule, Selah must marry, but when she proposes to the boy she loves, well ... let's just say it doesn't go as she suspects. So, scrambling to fix things, her stepmoth
Angelica
Ok, but first of all, can we appreciate this book's cover? Take a moment to scroll back up to it, I'll wait here. Did you see it? Were you impressed? Yes? Good, because I was, and still am, hella impressed by that beautiful cover.

Now let's move on to this review.

Last year, I had the pleasure of meeting Anna Bright at a Stephanie Garber book signing in Washington D.C. She seemed nice and was super excited about her upcoming novel and it made me super excited about it as well. So, you can only ima
Candace Robinson
Me: Never judge a book by its cover!
Me: I totally just did and want it now!

Seriously when I saw this cover, I knew I had to have it! Then I read the blurb and was like, ohhhh I have to have it even more! I mean, The Odyssey meets Cinderella? Heck to the freaking yeah!

Enjoyed the story here! The writing sucked me right in and I couldn't let go. Selah was a great character when it came to speaking up and being strong, doing what she believed in. Loved that! Now, when it came to boys she was a litt
Umairah | Sereadipity
It's important for people to know exactly what they're getting into, so to avoid confusion: this book is not a retelling of a specific story. Rather, it incorporates many myths and fairy tales into the storyline. Also, it is most certainly not a retelling of The Odyssey- the characters travel on a ship to far away lands and there's a person called Homer but the similarities end there.

Plot: 3/5
Characters: 3/5
Writing: 4/5

The Beholder was an alternate history novel, set in a world slightly similar
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

Buckle up, folks. This isn’t going to be a review.

This is going to be a rant.

Let me start with my biggest issue. They seem to have taken it off the blurb now, but this book was marketed as an Odyssey retelling. It is NOT an Odyssey retelling. It has as much in common with The Odyssey as Harry Potter does.

And, here is the key, frustrating thing: HAVING A CHARACTER CALLED HOMER WHO APPEARS FOR TWO SECONDS 🔴DOES NOT🔴 MAKE YOUR BOOK AN OD
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
1. "fjords" is one of my #1 synopsis buzzwords

2. HAVE YOU SEEN THIS FREAKING COVER, MY GODS
Anna Bright
Nov 18, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
i loved writing this book, and i love its characters. i hope you have as much fun reading as i had writing. <3
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)

"I tried not to wobble, thankful that a thick layer of wool lay between my unshaved knees and his palms."

Yeah I know right? Wool leggings are perfect to hide hairy legs and we're not always in the mood to shave.
Okay, back to the review.

The Beholder is NOT a retelling of the Odyssey , so just because there was a guy named Homer and a ship, this was clearly a mistake in marketing. There are references to doz
Jodi Meadows
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love falling in love with fictional characters, you're going to love this book.
Sara
Apr 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
I’m almost 100% that this is the (view spoiler). And I’m super excited for it.
Samidha Kalia
*Notes: An advanced copy of the book was provided in exchange of an honest review. This is an ARC, so quotes are subject to change. I would like to thank @HaperCollinsCa for the copy.*

🌟🌟

Sigh, this is going to be tough.

Just to start, do not be deceived by the blurb and think this is an Odyssey retelling. It is not. Let it be known that this book has nothing in common with the legendary Odyssey, unless a ship, a royal heir, and the sea are your words to describe it.

The novel starts wi

Scrill
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2019
ARC received from Edelweiss for a fair review.

F me, I freaking loved it. FRTC.
Lea (drumsofautumn)

The Beholder promises a romantic sea adventure à la The Selection, which it sadly only delivers when it comes to the negatives like bad world building.

“I have seen how we look side by side and it has changed how I imagine my life. With you, I see a wider world.”

This was the most confusing world building I have ever read in my entire life. It was some alternate universe of the world or rather Europe.. I guess? But I didn't really understand what the point of it was. There's England, apparentl
Sarah Glenn Marsh
A stunning, sweeping tale that combines elements of beloved classics and yet is somehow entirely original. A unique and unforgettable fairytale.
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
Review also found at:

Out now! Gorgeous cover alert!

I super liked this muchly. It was just a lot of romantic fun and fast-paced reading. It’s a bit of a fairy tale re-telling. Selah is “seneschal-elect” of her country and will inherit the title after her father. She is eighteen, a bookworm, naive, a loner, and knows nothing about the world around her.

Well, something huge happens and her world is shattered, destroyed, eyes opened, etc. etc. She is forced to
Amanda
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can also read my review here:https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

This book was so much better than I had expected it to be. The cover made me think that the entire book took place on a ship, but in reality very little of it did. The Beholder is about Selah traveling to find a suitor among several princes deemed suitable. The book moves fast and was compulsively readable, I hardly set it down and finished it in less than 24 hours. I see how it could be compared to The Selection with the s
Tucker
Jul 09, 2018 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Has anyone else been here since last spring? I loved going along with Anna on her journey. I remember when this book had two reviews and no title or cover. I feel like a proud mother! Happy Book Birthday to The Beholder and Anna Bright!
Ashlee » Library In The Country
THE COVER IS BEAUTIFUL.
This book looks amazing.
Alexandra
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I received an e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

Don't let my three stars discourage you. Anna Bright creates and delivers a lush world filled with tiny hidden gems of retellings, intrigue, and romance! Also, Once upon a Time meets Odyssey and the Bachelorette.

Selah lives in Potomac a country independent from England in a parallel world where fairytales and history are woven together. After a public rejection, which really was very
Mel Anie (finals - 2months)
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes books with multiple love-interests
This ARC was provided via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest opinion. Thank you HarperTeen!

Actual rating: 3,75

Retelling:
Let's begin with retelling thingy. It wasn't really a Cinderella or Odyssey retelling. Ok, we have a bad, selfish, greedy, and manipulative stepmother. We have Homer, and Penelope is making an appearance once or twice. We have Baba Yaga too. A tale of Saint George. Well, there is a lot of tales in this book. I wouldn't call this book an exact retelling since those storie
Lily Meade
Dec 06, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: agent-sister
MY AGENT SISTER! ANNA!!!!!!!!

@HarperTeen, you should totally put rose gold foil on the cover. Just saying... that would be a thing that is cool. This is a completely unbiased opinion and totally not influenced by the author AT ALL.
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“It’s not what you look like, it’s how you see,’ she used to always say, and she believed someone who didn’t read only ever saw through their own eyes.”

I like this sentence, too bad every man Selah is interested in is described as the most handsome man who ever lived.

3 Stars— Thank you to Edelweiss for providing me with an arc in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger warnings: Physical assault

First, I didn’t find this to be anything like the Odyssey or Cinderella. Don’t let this factor sway y
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
Retellings are my favourite kind of reads. The fact that this book is a mash-up of The Odyssey and Cinderella has me jumping with excitement. How cool does that sound? The cover is also all sorts of amazing as well.
Justine
DNFed at 264 pages.

I'll write a proper review at some point, but here are some of my thoughts:

-This book had so much potential, and I think that missed potential is ultimately the most disappointing this about The Beholder. A story about a girl who must marry in order to lead her people? Who must go on a journey to meet pre-approved princes and win someone's hand? Great! Give me political intrigue, give me a clever heroine who outthinks her foes, give me difficult choices and high risks! We got
Alexandra
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fairyloot
I overall thought this book was alright, but i had some issues with it.

I didn't mind the writing style, the scenes just flowed as i read it. But sometimes i was a bit confused on imagining the world built in the book. They don't have photos, but they have basketball? Radios are a rare thing in this world, but no telephones. Other than these points, imagining how scenery, clothing or the characters looked was easygoing.

The story itself wasn't bad, but it did lack some things that would have mad
Jackie ϟ Bookseller
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

4/5 stars ★★★★☆

Expected release date- June 4th, 2019

"Time to begin writing my own story. To begin doing something worth writing about at all."

The Beholder is a mixture of The Bachelorette and the Grishaverse (world, not magic) complete with pirates, historical-fiction, political intrigue, and a parade of gorgeous men. Selah is the only heir to her father's seat as Seneschal of Potomac, a distant, fictional version of 18th-century A
Hannah F. Whitten
This book is a gem. YA is rife with heroines who are assassins, warrior queens, etc—in all of that, Selah is a breath of fresh air. A teenage protagonist who actually feels like a teenager, with all the sweetness and heartbreak and stormy emotions that comes with it, who is allowed to be soft and feminine in ways that the story always treats like strengths rather than weaknesses. Deftly written alternate history, steadily mounting stakes, and SO MUCH ROMANCE make this super fun to read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Literally Leander: First Impressions - August 2 8 May 22, 2019 04:24PM

• Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • Dreaming Darkly
  • Incendiary
  • We Rule the Night
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl
I believe in woods, mountains, highways, cobblestones, roller coasters, dancing, concerts, cherry Pop Tarts, books, and magic.
When I'm not reading or writing on my couch, I'm dragging my husband off on an adventure, communing with Salem (my kitten/spiritual familiar), or causing trouble at One More Page Books, where I work.

**note: i don't accept GR friends anymore, because of amazon review policy

The Beholder (2 books)
  • Untitled (The Beholder, #2)