Start by marking “Where Are You From?” as Want to Read:
Where Are You From?

Where Are You From?

This resonant picture book tells the story of one girl who constantly gets asked a simple question that doesn’t have a simple answer. A great conversation starter in the home or classroom—a book to share, in the spirit of  I Am Enough  by Grace Byers and Keturah A. Bobo.

When a girl is asked where she’s from—where she’s really from—none of her answers seems to be the right one.
<of
Published June 4th 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Where Are You From?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Are You From?

Start your review of Where Are You From?
Yamile Méndez
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: december-17
It's such a rush of emotion to see my book on goodreads! I can't wait to share it with the world!
Abigail
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories Exploring Identity & Heritage
When classmates and acquaintances persistently ask her where she is from, refusing to accept her answer that she is from here, a young girl turns to her Abuelo (grandfather) for answers in this lovely new picture-book from author Yamile Saied Méndez and illustrator Jaime Kim. His poetic answers allude to the young girl's Argentine and (possible) Puerto Rican heritage, but when she persists in her question, he replies that she is from his heart, and from the heart of all her ancestors...
Dna
Love-love, love-love, LOVE.

Update: 10/7/2019

I read this in storytime this morning and suffice it to say, some people glaze over when it comes to diversity. EXTREME SIDE EYE. I am not impressed with people at the moment.
David
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
So, so, so beautiful and uplifting.
Krissy Neddo
I really liked it. However, intended audience (ages 5-9) may not appreciate or understand it as well as adults. Possible purchase for ESL teachers.
Monique Fields
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where Are You From? is a beautiful and lyrical answer to such a simple question that multiracial hear every day. The book starts with the question and provides answer after answer for where the little girl is from. In the end, she decides she is from all of those places as well. I especially loved how Abuelo was involved. Grandpas really do know everything.
Lorie Barber
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful in words and illustrations. Back matter to explain a few of Abuelo’s references (“Señor Cielo,” the pampas, the gaucho) would be wonderful, although having my Latinx students share their knowledge around these words could be awesome, too!
Kelsey
Age: Preschool-3rd grade
Our Voices: Argentinian American author (1st gen), Korean American illustrator (1st gen)

In several scenarios, a little girl finds it difficult to answer the probing question "where are you from?" especially since it makes her feel like she doesn't belong. Asking the man that knows it all, Abuelo provides a multifaceted answer, drawing from various natural settings that spread across South America--especially Argentina--and the people that settled them. T
Michele Knott
Oh, what a beautiful book. A young girl of color gets asked by classmates and adults, "where are you from?" What a confusing question to ask a young child and full of insinuations. However, the young girl has an amazing grandfather that tells her of all the beautiful places her ancestors come from but ends with a beautiful idea that really captures the love for a child.
Jana
The question "Where are you from?" is often asked to newcomers as a way to be conversational. But it can also be a subtle, and maybe even unconscious, way of trying to place the newcomer in a box or separate them from us as "other" or "different". With friends and neighbors that come into our communities from places near and far, it's never been more important to realize that in order to build relationship we need to consider where we're from in ways that unite us, rather than paint us as differ ...more
Beth
So often when a white person asks a person of color where they are from, there is an assumption of not being from around here. It’s often a microaggression. In this story, a little girl is asked by kids and adults alike where she is from, so when she asks her abuelo where they are from, she gets a surprising answer.

Pair this text with George Ella Lyon’s poem “Where I’m From.”
David Jr.
Books and stories like these are going to play an important role in my son's life. Children need to see people who represent them in tv, books, and movies. I also feel that my son needs to know where he or his dad came from. He will be able to read my stories but others' will help too.
Connor Bowman
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet story with beautiful illustrations! Méndez used poetry so masterfully while Kim played with light in every spread! I'd be shocked if this didn't get some Caldecott buzz!
Jenna (Falling Letters)
Gorgeous book with a beautiful message. I hope it reaches many children who have been pressed to answer this question.
Julie Kirchner
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A beautiful message with lovely illustrations. This will definitely be one I will share with my students.
Chance Lee
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Sweet story with heartfelt text and rich, colorful illustrations.
Patricia
Read for Librarian Book Group

A long (and beautifully illustrated) answer to a question we* should probably be more aware of what we're saying when we ask it.

*we=white people
Sara
When I saw this book I connected with the title. If I could get a dollar for every time someone said that to me I would be a millionaire! This book is about a girl who has been asked where she is from and she turns to her Abuelo to find out where she is really from. Her Abuelo takes her through different sceneries to explain where she is from.
Kim Chaffee
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This lyrical picture book about self identity and home will touch your heart. The illustrations pop off the page. The color palette is exquisite. Take the journey with this little girl and her Abuelo as they explore the answer to the question, where are you from?
Ann Williams
Love, love, love! The message AND the illustrations. Mrs. Richards will have to get this one for the book room.
Debrarian
Where are you from? I'm from here, like the rest of you! Yeah, but where are you *really* from?, this brown-skinned little girl keeps being asked. So she brings the question to her grandfather, who answers poetically about the lands of her ancestors, and about all the people and the love that she comes from and belongs to.

Gorgeous, earthy palette of greens, oranges, umbers. Expressive faces and postures of characters, from the girl's jaunty confidence at the beginning, to her feeling indignant/
Cande
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been meaning to read Yamile from last year and when I found her picture book in the library I knew I have to read it asap. So here we are, me a crying mess after this beautiful book. The colors are bright and the story feels so personal that it’s breathtaking. I adore it, so much. There’s so much magic between these pages, so much love. Reading this book it feels like being wrap in a very needed and nice hug.
Kate Hastings
Grades 1-5. Where are you from? Such a simple question, but it’s complicated. I’m from here. But what about your family? They are from here, too. But what about before that? Where did your people originate? There’s an easy answer because in the end we all come from the same place.
Jolyn Danielson
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The content of this book is so relevant at this moment in time.

The illustrations were marvelous and I could really "feel" the colors.

I will definitely be getting this for my Library and reading it to my students as well.
Maura
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hugh-read
My 6 year old son and I both enjoyed this lyrical, loving picture book by Yamile Saied Méndez, beautifully illustrated by Jaime Kim. I love Abuelo's message that we are from the places of our ancestors, but that at the core of it, we are of the geography of our ancestors' hearts - their dreams, their memories, their hopes, their courage, and their love.

Abuelo's response did leave me wishing the book (and adults) could provide a better answer for children who are persistently asked where they ar
Tasha
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl is always asked where she is from. She tries to answer by saying “I’m from here, from today, same as everyone else,” but they simply insist that she tell them where she is really from. So the girl asks her Abuelo where she is from. He closes his eyes and gives her an unusual but important answer. He tells her of the varied places that her people come from. They come from wide open land in the Pampas, from brown rivers that give food, from high mountains where condors fly. She also ...more
Olivia
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yabc-reviews
See my full review here: http://www.yabookscentral.com/kidsfic...

WHERE ARE YOU FROM? is a stunning celebration of heritage/ancestry as well as an acknowledgment of the unnecessary question. A young girl is asked where she is from- really. She believes she is from the same place as everyone else- here. She decides to ask her Abuelo, because he also looks different, like her. Abuelo’s answer is gorgeous and celebrates who we are and the many possibilities of such a question.

Importantly, this book can spark discussio
Jared White
I'm proud to say that I've gotten to the point where I only ask the "Where are you from?" question to those who have a strong accent and, even then, only sometimes. I admit that I am sometimes still tempted to ask it to those who don't look like me, even though one of the things that I love about America is that so many of us are a mix of so many places.

The illustrations in this book help to illustrate why it's often a silly question because it is asked by a group of kids who all look different
Margie
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As an educator, as a teacher librarian, all the children in any given school in any given year enter your classroom, the school library. They arrive from an assortment of families, economic conditions, ethnic and racial backgrounds with a range of personalities and potential. They are all beautiful, important and of immeasurable value.

Depending on the community in which they live, some of them for reasons of physical characteristics, language, clothing, cultural or religious practice
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Normal Pig
  • ¡Vamos! Let's Go to the Market
  • Max Attacks
  • Hum and Swish
Yamile (sha-MEE-lay) is a fútbol obsessed Argentine-American. She’s the mother of 5 kids and 2 adorable dogs. Yamile’s an inaugural Walter Dean Meyers Grant recipient, a graduate of Voices of our Nation (VONA) and the Vermont College of Fine Arts MFA Writing for Children program.
She’s represented by Linda Camacho, from the Gallt and Zacker Literary Agency.