Start by marking “A Treason of Thorns” as Want to Read:
A Treason of Thorns

A Treason of Thorns

Violet Sterling has spent the last seven years in exile, longing to return to Burleigh House. One of the six great houses of England, Burleigh’s magic always kept the countryside well. And as a child, this magic kept Violet happy, draping her in flowers while she slept, fashioning secret hiding places for her, and lighting fires on the coldest nights to keep her warm.
Published September 10th 2019 by HarperTeen

jessica
i honestly cant remember how i heard about this new release, but i managed to find a free copy, so i may as well read it, right? and having gone into this story with really no expectations, im actually quite happy with it. was i blown away by it? no, not really. but there is much to appreciate about this.

its quick and light to read. the narrative does tend to be a bit repetitive at times - mainly due to the lack of in-depth world building, so there is only so far the plot can go - bu
megs_bookrack
Weymouth is SLAYING the cover game.
First, The Light Between Worlds, and now this!

I can't wait to add this beauty to my shelves.
You know, to add it to my collection of unread books...

Hollis
My issue with A TREASON OF THORNS is that I found the best parts of it to be in the synopsis.

The tightly framed concept sounds fantastic in short form but loses itself in drawn out translation. The characters are underdeveloped, the romance is.. a stretch, and the plot itself feels like it's just spinning its wheels until it reaches a certain word count. It's repetitive both in tone and vocabulary and, ultimately, just stuck in one gear.

This is such a fascinating idea, and the autho
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

My anticipation for A Treason of Thorns has been built to a feverish pitch ever since I first saw the cover reveal back in February!! I LOVED The Light Between Worlds, Laura Weymouth's debut novel and it became my #1 read for 2018. As A Treason of Thorns was also magical realism + historical + English setting I was so, so dying to read it. Then Laura contacted me to send me one of her ARCs (as her #1 fangirl!) and I was on 7th heaven. When the post officWriter...
The
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Magical, mystical, enchanting, and with a setting that will sweep you back to old England, A Treason of Thorns will keep you engaged from the beginning clear to the action packed ending.

Legends and lore, magical bindings, endearing stories of home, both those we are born to and those we create, and becoming who we want to be rather than what is expected of us, A Treason of Thorns was beautifully done with effortless writing that was every bit as wonderful and emotional and it is magical.

*ARC p
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

Laura always has the best book covers, hands down. This one is absolutely stunning, the colors, detailing, it draws your eyes and leaves you starstruck. A Treason of Thorns is hands down one of the most unique books that I have read in a long time, dark, mysterious and utterly unique A Treason of Thorns will have you entranced until the very last page.

When Violet was a child her father, the caretaker of Burleigh house was accused of high treason
Vicky Who Reads
Feb 04, 2019 is currently reading it
By the way, you can check out the cover reveal for A TREASON OF THORNS on my blog!

Plus there's an excerpt, giveaway, and interview with Laura on the book! Go go go! Sentient houses and sinister magic and ALL the aesthetic feels your way!

Find the link here or click on the teaser below!

link to cover reveal
Candace Robinson
ARC received via publisher!
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
3.5 Stars

I'm a bit torn when it came time to rate this book. Overall, I enjoyed the story and the characters but I did find that I started to get a bit bored and just wanted some action to happen. I also found myself confused at times with the magical elements of the house and between the binding and unbinding and what happened to this house or that house...I kind of just zoned out.

I especially enjoyed the side characters but would have liked them to be a bit more prevale
Hannah F. Whitten
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was perfect—from the swoons romance to the palpable atmosphere to the amazing characterization (of a HOUSE, which is quite a feat). The heroine is plucky and prickly and I love her.
Erica
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“What if we don’t have to be what we were told to become?”

I think this is the central question of A Treason of Thorns, a book about the roles we’re born to play and the ones we choose for ourselves. Just as in her debut The Light Between Worlds, Weymouth beautifully explores our longing for home, especially a home that has been lost or changed. But the novel is also a hopeful rumination on the homes we choose for ourselves and the love we pour into them.

In addition to its compelling th
Shalini
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sigh... I...don't know... What do I say about a sentinel House that is alive, lives and breathes, has a heart with memories, and is magical ? What do I say about a House whose caretaker was to be Violet, but where her father altered everything so she could be spared?

What do I say about the author Laura E. Waymouth whose imagination brought out a fantastical plot of a House working its magic via a caretaker who had the key? Just BRILLIANT!! House and mortar made their foray...

Violet
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
So when people say "I'd read this author's grocery list," Laura is that author for me. The writing in this (and The Light Between Worlds) is just so luxurious. It just pulls me in so I feel all of the world and connect with the characters with each step of their development. Her writing is PERFECT for Gothic fantasies and histories. Her and Lyndsay Faye have such iconic writing with that tone and I just cannot get enough of their stuff (literally. I've read basically all of their publications I can get my ...more
Amanda
You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

One of the main reasons that I requested this book was because I thought that the cover was absolutely gorgeous and the synopsis had me intrigued. I really loved the idea behind this book, a magical house was very cool to read about. While I think that this was a good idea and I enjoyed the writing, I felt like A Treason of Thorns kind of dragged and I was a bit disappointed in it.

I didn't really connect very well with the characters. I felt like
Mackenzie Dering
The story begins with a girl who is devoted to a magical house in England. After the father was accused of treason and sentenced to house arrest, Violet was sent away. She returns years later. When she arrives, she finds the house in disrepair. After being told she's to "cure" the house in a specific timeframe, Violet realizes the depth of her devotion to the sentient building and to those she loves. Violet begins to discover that her fate is not sealed and that she can be whatever she wants to ...more
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Such a beautiful cover...
Madison Mary
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it
"A good Caretaker puts her House first.
Before king.
Before country.
Before her own life."

This is an eerie story filled with beautiful prose and rich in emotional turmoil.

*eARC provided from HarperTeen and edelweiss*

SUMMARY
Violet's family have been the caretakers of Burleigh House for generations. However, when her father commits high treason and is sentenced to death, Violet must flee her House and those she loves. After seven years she is finally able to return, but when she does sh
Joanna Meyer
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-tbr
This book is lovely and fierce and brimming with heart, and I love it with all of mine. 💗💗💗
Emma
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Treason of Thorns by Laura E. Weymouth
4.5 / 5 avocados Read full review and more here!
Thank you to the FFBC Team for allowing me to take part in this blog tour!
Hiya bookish people!
Okay, so, the concept of this novel? Amazing. The plot of this novel? Astounding. The execution of this novel? Excellent. Laura E. Weymouth has somehow created a plot I didn’t even know I wanted, and left me wishing more authors wrote about Great Houses and their connections to characters. With writing that is super e/>Thank
/>4.5
Celia McMahon
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to HarperTeen and Edelweiss who continue to trust me with their books.

Last summer I had the chance to read THE LIGHT BETWEEN WORLDS while on vacation in the UK. I was so enthralled by it that I rushed through touring the sights in London and Scotland just so I could go back to the Airbnb to read it. I couldn't wait to get back home to review it. After, I became a lifelong fan of Laura Weymouth. If you have a chance, add her on Twitter. She is the sweetest author I have ever
Jasmine
Apr 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
Sentient house? Sentient house!
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
Disclaimer: I received an Advance Reader Copy at no cost from the publisher/author. All opinions in my review are my own.

This book absolutely enchants you. I honestly haven't read anything like it before. I think that the premise for this book is completely original. A story about what home can mean to someone, loyalty, and sacrifice.

I really loved the tone of the story and the author's voice. The writing is lovely and I really appreciated the elaborate world-building. The entire world is atmo
Katie
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's a thing that happens to me sometimes, with the very best books--my eyes don't want to fully focus on the page. It's like I can't quite take it all in.

This was one of those books. Weymouth's first book was amazing for me as well. I will buy her books going forward.
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

A Treason of Thorns by Laura E. Weymouth is a fantasy YA standalone novel. Protagonist Violet Sterling once lived in Burleigh House, one of the 6 great houses in England. Due to the actions of William the Deedwinner, these houses have been bound to the throne and are tended to by hereditary Caretakers. 7 years ago, Violet was banished from her house due to her father's treasonous actions.

*Ful
Keely
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't want to give away any spoilers - so this is kind of vague, but I don't think I've read such a truly original book for a long time! Set in Cornwall in an alternative past - the events that revolve around the Great Houses and the power plays are so inventive! The writing is beautiful and the pace brisk - like a YA descendant from The Secret Garden, The Great House and Tom's Midnight Garden with all The Gothic intensity entwined!

Laura Weymouth has done something remarkable, and
rachelwrites007
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written and exquisite world building this one is perfect for fans of Jane Eyre and CS Lewis and The Hazel Wood. (Also Jewish secondary characters celebrating Shabbat in England yayy!!)
London Shah
Jan 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
I cannot waitttttt. The Light Between Worlds, the author's debut, is one of my favourite fantasy reads––so utterly beautiful, moving, and skilfully done––so I'm *really* looking forward to this!!!
Harker
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Content Warnings: Animal injury (not a pet), blood, violence, repeated use of the word "s*v*ge", gorey imagery

Rep: SCs central to the MC who are Jewish & holidays that are celebrated throughout

Violet Sterling has grown up knowing she would be Caretaker of Burleigh House. When that destiny is twisted from her grasp, when the King attempts to warp her future and Burleigh itself is in danger, she must find a way to save itself and the Western Country form the magic that is overflowing/>:
Caroline 💞🐉
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, arcs
Happy Book Birthday to this beauty!!!

This was a surprisingly good, quick read!

I received this ARC at Bookcon, and I immediately saw the cover and was absolutely in love!

This book isn’t anything wonderful, but it was still intriguing and I loved the writing style. It’s easy to follow and absorb.

Our story is about a girl (Violet) who lived in an enchanted and magical house. Literally - it reacts to things she says and when it senses danger, it will do things like make the wind pick
Mia
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I spent so many months waiting to read this book after its release was announced, and I’m so happy to say that I really enjoyed it! I think The Light Between Worlds is destined to hold a special place in my heart above almost all other books, but A Treason of Thorns is a gorgeously told atmospheric fantasy that reminded me a lot of romantic British literature like Pride & Prejudice and Wuthering Heights (which is my favorite classic, so that’s saying something)!! If you love stories about haunted manors ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Addicted to YA: Discussion Leader Sign Up: A Treason of Thorns 3 29 Oct 04, 2019 10:16AM

• The Bright and the Pale
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • The Half King (Untitled, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Rise of the Dragon Moon
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Skyhunter
Laura Weymouth is a Canadian living in exile in America, and the sixth consecutive generation of her family to immigrate from one country to another. Born and raised in the Niagara region of Ontario, she now lives at the edge of the woods in western New York, along with her husband, two wild-hearted daughters, a spoiled cat, an old soul of a dog, and an indeterminate number of chickens. She is rep ...more