Start by marking “The Case of the Tabloid Tattler (The Kitten Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Tabloid Tattler (The Kitten Files, #1)

The Case of the Tabloid Tattler

(The Kitten Files #1)

4.49  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
"I'm Mia.
I know how to write.
Why's that a big deal?
Because... I'm a cat."

Someone is telling the tabloids about Ms. Thornblood's every move. Is it the housekeeper? the cook? the maid? the handyman? The detective hired to solve the case isn't sure. Things are looking pretty hopeless until Mia, his talented cat, offers to spend a week at Ms. Thornblood's as a spy.

With ti
Published September 2018 (first published June 1st 2014)

Sarah Grace
This book was so adorable! It is from the perspective of Mia, cat turned detective's assistant. I am not an animal person, and I am not really fond of books written from an animal's perspective, but this was BEYOND adorable! I loved it so much! It is written for middle graders, but I still found it enjoyable. It was too short for me, and I finished it in a half hour. Still, it was worth the $.99 kindle purchase. Definitely check this out! Read it aloud to your kids!
Bethany
Wow! A story written by a cat...literally? As a general rule I don't like stories about animals, I especially don't like stories supposedly told from the animal's POV, and I definitely don't like stories where said animal can speak (or, in this case, write) like humans. But this book proved to be the exception I never expected to find! It was not only hilariously funny, but gave a deep and, I should think, accurate insight on what a cat would do and say and think if she was trying to solve a mys ...more
Angie Thompson
Oh, this was super cute!

Somehow even after reading the description, I somehow missed the fact that this book was about a cat who can actually write--as in, not just tell her story, but actually communicate with humans. That threw me a bit at first, but throw in a bit of generic lab-experiment-on-animal-intelligence backstory, and I sat back to enjoy the ride.

And what a fun ride! Mia's actions and reactions were so realistically cat-like, even when she was working her hardest at investigating, th
Allison Tebo
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, mysteries, own
As personal challenge, I have decided that the majority of the books I read in 2017 are either ones recommended to me by my friends, or books my friends have rate 5 stars.

‘The Case of the Tabloid Tattler’ was given a 5 star rating by my friends, Kate Willis, Paul Willis, Sarah Grace and Jason McIntire - so I decided to check it out.

There have been so many books written on this subject, but Elizabeth Perry stands out from the crowd with her fresh and humorous writing. This book was engaging, fu
Karis
Adored this! Review to come...
Penny Wood
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was AWESOME!!!! I loved how Mia was a different twist on a talking animal. She could write instead of talk. That was so awesome! The myserty was interesting, funny, and exciting! Mia was the perfect POV. I want to see more of her!! <3333
Jason McIntire
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just read this again on a night when I was too tired for anything supremely profound. It's pretty much what it says on the tin: A cute, short story about a cat that can write. You kind of have to know something about cats to really appreciate it, but even as a non-cat-owner, I felt like I had enough background to get the jokes. Kirkpatrick is a clever writer as well as a great editor and cover designer. Now if only The Case Of The Missing Hero would go on sale....
Paula Shreckhise
This was a clever mystery. Just an adorable cat that picks her owner who happens to be a private detective.They team up to solve the problem of someone leaking gossip to the tabloids. Very enjoyable. There are more to come. What fun!
Mikayla
I needed something cute and lite to read this evening so I re-read this. It's so cute, it never fails to make me laugh.
Rebekah Jones
Short and sweet mystery. Love the writer's voice - a cat who can write, retelling her first adventure, helping her detective owner, Keith, solve a mystery for one of his clients.
R.A.
I just knew I was going to like this when I marked it to-read! And I did! It was so good!!

The whole cat-writing-thing just cracked me up!!!! Ridiculous, but hilarious! ;)

I didn't figure out who the culprit was until the end, but I was suspicious of everyone ... just like Mia! (view spoiler)

Anyway, I loved it! Can't wait to be able to read the second book maybe soon! :)

Side note: This is the tenth book I've read this y
“A brilliant tale that can be enjoyed by young and old alike.”

I was asked if I could read a story by Perry to check for any errors missed in the editing process. I agreed and thought it would be a sweet little story. I was not expecting to love it so much.

True, this book may be written for a younger audience than me (I am 23) but it is such a clever, well told tale that I am sure both young and old will enjoy it. I laughed my way through the story at the humor and sheer brilliance of this story
Lindap
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
3 Stars

Mia was forced to become a lab rat. (okay, a lab cat) The scientist were experimenting on how to create smarter animals. After Mia's escape she watch's Keith's house to see if he could be trust worthy. After staying with him for awhile, and discovering he's a detective, Mia decides to let him know about her extraordinary ability.

This isn't an in-depth "who done it", but it's definitely a cute, sweet, snack of a story. No sex and no colorful language.
Donna
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this short read.
Jody Link
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read
very cute! I am over 40 and enjoyed it very much.
Faith
Keith was rambling again. And his theory was so boring a mere yawn couldn’t express my feelings well enough. I was getting up to go hide under the bed when he said, “I just don’t know, Kitten. What do you think, huh?”

It was that silly way he’d been talking to me ever since I’d shown up on his doorstep three weeks ago. He’d been telling me every detail of every case, every hunch he had, not actually expecting me to reply. “He’s lucky I’m not a spy,” I told myself, “or from the press!”

Spy. Now
Leah Good
Kitten has a startling secret and an important request. She knows how to write and would like a real name to replace 'Kitten.' Keith, the detective who took her in, takes an understandable several minutes to accept this dumbfounding fact about his adopted cat. After he recovers, he dubs her Mia. Soon, Mia has made herself a member of Keith's detective team, assigning herself the roll of undercover spy. Someone is leaking private information to tabloids. It's either the housekeeper, cook, maid, o ...more
Jolyn
So delightful and I don't like cats!

This was an absolutely delightful story and I can't wait to read more stories about Kitten/Mia. I don't care for cats in real life but Mia's dry wit was wonderful and she acted so totally cat-like that it was hilarious to read about cracking a case from her perspective.

Keith's response to Mia was funny and I look forward to watching their relationship develop in future stories. The same with Mia and Ms. Thornblood (no spoilers here).

Sex - none
Language - none
Vi
Denae Christine
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kitten detective with attitude!

Kitten (excuse me, Mia) is a fun pov. Her view of the world is different enough to be entertaining and not enough to be confusing. Her opinions of people center on how well they treat cats, of course, but she tries to be open-minded (except about vacuums!).
I'd love to hear more about Mia and her not-as-clever-as-Mia-is owner, Keith.
Katy
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, mg-keepers
This is a purrfect, original story about a detective named Keith and a very special cat who adopts him and becomes his assistant. A must-read for anyone (not just children) who loves a good mystery, cats, and writers. *wink*

I can't wait to read the next story!
Mikayla
This is an extremely funny book with adorable main character. I loved Mia, who could have been my cat, if my cat could write. =D I can't wait to buy my own copy of this!
Carolyn V
Addyson Huneke
Nov 30, 2017
Lauren Lotter
Jan 22, 2015
Hey there! I'm Perry, author of "The Heavens Declare: Five Children, Eight Planets, One God," "Light of the World," "Pearl's Practice," "The Kitten Files" mysteries, and multiple short stories. I'm also a freelance graphic / book designer and the creator of the WriteMind Planner for authors.
(www.perryelisabethdesign.com)

I live with my hubby and babies in the desert southwest.

The Kitten Files (4 books)
  • The Case of the Missing Hero (The Kitten Files, #2)
  • The Case of the Cereal Robber (The Kitten Files, #3)
  • The Case of the Very Bad Cat (The Kitten Files #4)