Start by marking “Dove finisce l'arcobaleno” as Want to Read:
Dove finisce l'arcobaleno

Dove finisce l'arcobaleno

Milano, Longanesi, 1984, 8vo legatura editoriale cartonato telato con fregi e titoli dorati al dorso e sovraccopertina illustrata a colori, pp. 386 (La gaja scienza, 106) .
Hardcover
Published by Longanesi & C. (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Dove finisce l'arcobaleno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dove finisce l'arcobaleno

Start your review of Dove finisce l'arcobaleno
Patrick
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. Lots of action. Great story. I don't know if the story depicted actual events preceding WWII, but it may have. In any case it is a great adventure, well worth the read.
Luís C.
Cry Wolf tackles the Italian army's invasion of Ethiopia in 1935. Under Mussolini, Italy sent a division incorporating infantry, tanks, armoured vehicles, artillery and aircraft support, up against a tribal army armed with spears and ancient rifles. What eventually happens is something of a foregone conclusion, but the fight the Ethiopians put up is as thrilling as anything else the author's ever written.

That's the general back story of this novel, and a lot of the writing is taken up with
L.M. Mountford
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've seen this book a lot over the years. It always seems to be in one charity shop or another, and to be honest, that put me off a little. Sure you can always find a Wilber Smith book in the charity shops, he's an old-school author with a lot of books, you could say the same about Stephen King or Jack Higgins, but why always this book?
Well, I decided to give it a try a few weeks ago, and I have absolutely no idea why it's given up so often because I loved it.
True I would have enjoyed more
Graham
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa, historical, war
My latest Wilbur Smith read. I'm tackling his books in a chronological order as they were written at present, and I've now reached the mid '70s. CRY WOLF isn't as entertaining as some of his earlier works - particularly those Courtney novels - purely because of the dark, almost depressing subject matter of the story.

CRY WOLF tackles the Italian army's invasion of Ethiopia in 1935. Under Mussolini, Italy sent a division incorporating infantry, tanks, armoured vehicles, artillery and aircraft
Gordon
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is fairly early Wilbur Smith. It is easy to see that he has not fully developed his style or skill. The first part of the book moves quite slowly as the characters and situation are introduced. Later on the booked moved at closer to the breakneck speed he became famous for.

The book deals with the Italian fascist invasion of Ethiopia, a pretty unusual topic. Smith is well known for careful research so I assume the events and culture are fairly close to reality. The campaign described is
Eric Wright
Smith takes us through the history of the Italian attack on Ethiopia with a powerful, fast-paced narrative that never slows. We see events through an American, Jake Barton, whose skill makes derelict vehicles run and through the eyes of Gareth Swales, a stylish Englishman given to conning those around him. Both vie for the attention of Vicki an award winning journalist there to cover the raping of Ethiopia.

Other supporting characters include a trio or so of Ethiopian royalty. The story reads
Bruna
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
This was a great novel, and i really liked it! Something different for me, but i really enjoyed it. The story is breathtaking and the characters so full of life that it's stunning! Maybe i will read one more novel of this author in the future, we'll see.
Koit
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ethiopia… The name itself brings up certain thoughts, certain ideas. Perhaps for some, the association is with the Nile while for others it could be Haile Selassie whose name might have a far wider recognition than the country he served. This book, however, did not overly describe it’s affiliations and as such I picked it up without knowing it had to do with the country. I did not even know which period it would end up describing. All I knew was the Wilbur Smith likes writing about Africa…

So,
Joan
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arne
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abhyudaya Shrivastava
Cry Wolf was hugely unsatisfying right up to the last 50 pages. And then the book drew its lines quickly, stuff started making sense and the heroes were defined. Gareth Swales is the character that saves the book. The book actually is not much in terms of narration. It is redeemed by the larger than life characters and the war background. It is essentially a war novel with a fair bit of spice thrown in. Read it quick, in small bursts of energy. If you sit with it, it tends to go stale. I would ...more
Asha Stark
I really dig Wilbur Smith's books for the most part, but the one thing I cannot stand is that in all of his African novels, he feels the need for pages-long descriptions of animals being shot. I openly admit to feeling nauseated at the mere mention of animal abuse, so to read all about a pride of lions being wiped out was awful.

That being said, this still wasn't one of his best. Nothing on The Leopard Hunts in Darkness etc.
Lucinda Clarke
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book many years ago but only remembered part of the story. I found it refreshing, a little long perhaps for the modern reader but an excellent story with great overtones of Africa. I particularly enjoyed his use of adverbs which in the modern formats are strictly frowned on. I now realize how much I have missed them.
Harry Burnside
This was an average boy's own adventure where suspending belief was required. Having said that it was readable with good strong lead characters but the story dipped when it focused on the antagonists. I started it as a holiday read and had to finish it when I got back. Not as good as earlier Smith novels.
Mr Albert Crabtree
Not what I expected from him but not a bad read.

The story was not what I expected from him but it was not a bad book but not easy to follow the plot as it jumped from one place to another.
John
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Italians invade Ethiopia in the pre WWII period. Three westerners caught up in aiding the defenders against the invaders go from one adventure to another with four old armored cars. A fascinating love triangle develops in the midst of the crisis.
Peter Learn
This was better than later books where he develops fascination with 'breast buds'.
Andrew Harris
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the usual Wilbur Smith ingredients to make this an easy read. Thoroughly enjoyable as ever. Now read all bar 3 of his books & there’s only been one I didn’t enjoy. The Quest before you ask!
Rita Chapman
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great writing, as you expect from Wilbur Smith. Good story, plenty of action, humour from The Ras and sexual tension between Vicky, Gareth and Jake.
Julian Spenceley
'gripping', but a rough map showing where the action took place would have been a bonus.
Armaan Cheema
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been the best novel I have ever touched. The ending left me refrain shattered and this has been an experience I'll never forget. This story is so close to my heart.
Tom Waters
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exciting

Simply put this in a brilliant book written by one of the world s best a good adventure. Story excellent
Rastislav Fedor
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny and exciting! Great book.
Penny Taylor
A good yarn, but a bit dated now.
Mike Glaser
Another solid read by Wilbur Smith. My main complaints would be that the ending felt rushed and that his descriptions of military equipment are usually way off from the reality.
François Carrière
Like this author. Good story well written.
Andy
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, adventure
Thrilling adventure from a master of the adventure novel.
Brian Wing
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full on action

Action and intrigue by the modern master of suspense rival to Alfred Htchcock they should all be made into films
Amcam
This was a difficult book for me to get into. It is set in Africa in the 1930s, and focuses on the conflict between Ethiopians and the Italians. The protagonists are Jake Barton, a former American soldier, now mechanic who loves machines and dreams of inventing his own engine; Vicky Camberwell, a journalist for the Associated Press; and Gareth Swales, a former English soldier who fancies himself a dandy but is truly a user of people. It was very informative about a conflict I never even knew ...more
Kate Millin
I skim read this towards the end as I didn't really want to read about the warfare. The subject of this book is the Italian invasion of Ethiopia in 1936. The main characters are a wheeler dealer Gareth who is very British and the American Jake who are both trying to raise money by selling old weapons and armoured cars to the Ethiopians. Add in a woman they both desire and it makes for some interesting interactions. They are tricked by the Ethiopians into delivering the vehicles and then end up ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sons of Africa
  • Java Spider
  • Silencer (Nick Stone, #15)
  • Scoundrel
  • Empire of Dragons
  • The Last Legion
  • Blood Eagle (Jan Fabel, #1)
  • Dark Angel
  • The Business of Dying (Dennis Milne, #1)
  • Spartan
  • Masters of War (Danny Black, #1)
  • The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker #1)
  • The Fist of God
  • The Serpent's Mark (Nicholas Shelby, #2)
  • Penalties
  • The Cobra
  • Fire Hawk (Sam Packer, #1)
  • The Negro of Peter the Great
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have ...more