Start by marking “Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)” as Want to Read:
Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)

Vixen 03

(Dirk Pitt #5)

1954. Vixen 03 is down. The plane, bound for the Pacific carrying thirty-six Doomsday bombs — canisters armed with quick-death germs of unbelievable potency — vanishes. Vixen has in fact crashed into an ice-covered lake in Colorado.

1988. Dirk Pitt, who heroically raised the Titanic, discovers the wreckage of Vixen 03. But two deadly canisters are missing. They're in the h
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published July 25th 2006 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Vixen 03, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vixen 03

John Shumway
Nov 06, 2009 rated it liked it
This is the same comment for all the Dirk Pitt books:
Great set of books, I had to stagger these books into my reading rotation since they are so similar.
Dirk Series Book in less then 50 words.
(introduction to bad guy, introduction to hot chick, introduction to Dirk, Dirk gets in impossible dangerous situations to stop the bad guy, Dirk wins, Dirk gets the hot chick.)
Lee
Dec 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I feel like a quick, action-packed read, with a big screen cinematic ending - can't go wrong with Dirk Pitt. #5 came out thirty-five years ago, but, they're still a kick-in-the-butt fun time of a read.
Roopkumar Balachandran
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
In early part of 1950's Dr.John Vetterly, a microbiologist, chemically created an artificial form of life that in turn was capable of producing a disease strain that was non detectable, unidentifiable bacteriological agent able to incapacitate a living thing within seconds of exposure and disrupt the vital body functions, causing death within three to five minutes it was named quick death shortly QD. Admiral Bass was given the task to dump the remaining 36 stainless steel canisters of QD in Rong ...more
Brooke
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller, 2008
Vixen 03 flips back and forth between Dirk Pitt's discovery of a plane wreck in a Colorado lake and a civil war brewing in South Africa. The connection between the two is pretty clever, but unfortunately, the portions of the book that focus on the South African plot just drag. For a while, I forgot I was even reading a Dirk Pitt novel. Dirk's sections flew by in excitement, but the rest just did not mesh. After enjoying Raise the Titanic so much, I was surprised by how much of a step backwards ...more
Matt
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, 2019-reads
A deadly biological weapon thought long-lost is suddenly out in the world and a South African-planned black-op terrorist attack on the United States meant to discredit an insurgency to white rule intertwine with only one man finding himself at the crux to stop them. The fifth book of the Dirk Pitt series, Vixen 03, by Clive Cussler finds the intrepid NUMA Special Projects Director racing to first solve a mystery and then racing to save the nation.

An Air Force transport plane takes off in a Janua
Debra Johnson
Vixen 03 by Clive Cussler

Genres; Action/Adventure, Crime, Mystery, Suspense

4 Stars

It took awhile for me to find the copy of the one I read. I think I got it right.
I wish I still had my copies! But, alas, I have lost them through the many times I have moved. Through my own adventures, while worth it, caused me to lose those copies decades ago.
Al Giordino is still my favorite character in the Dirk Pitt series.
Ken
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun adventure in the Dirk Pitt series.
Following the events of the previous book, Pitt and he’s team are tasked with finding a military aircraft that disappeared 30 years ago.

The other half of the book features a civil war brewing in South Africa.

Compared to others in the series, this instalment is weaker. The fact that it referenced the previous story highlighted this.
The South Africa sections were interesting, but I was keen to get back to Pitt’s section of the book.

One for this that en
Christian D.  Orr
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Cussler fans, thriller fans in general
Vintage Cussler at his best, that grabs your attention and holds it no matter how many times you read it, and in spite of how old and dated (especially the South Africa segments) the material is. When I say "vintage Cussler," I mean Clive (and Dirk Pitt) at his old-school violent, bloody, profane, sexually-explicit best, not the toned-down PG-rated material (though still highly enjoyable) material he's been writing since the early 1990s (starting with "Dragon").
Kevin Findley
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, fiction
One word review: FUN!

I haven't read a Dirk Pitt book in quite a while. Back when he was at his most popular, it was Tom Clancy that sat on my shelves, Cussler was almost a side note. I enjoyed the book quite a bit, but realized that I couldn't remember too many of the characters other than Dirk within a few hours after finishing it. I guess that means it's not literature, but that's fine. I liked it, and you will too.

Find it! Buy it! Read it!
Amy
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
The earlier Dirk Pitt stories are not as polished as the later ones, for obvious reasons. Grittier, more graphic, more heavy with the do-gooder speeches. I'm enjoying revisiting the old Pitt, to better appreciate the new one.
Shane Phillips
Chock full of 1970's race and sexist language. One of my favorites is when Dirk finds his lover waiting for him at his car. "Are you crazy? A luscious creature all alone in a Washington parking lot. It's a miracle you weren't assaulted and gang banged." Dirk is such a romantic.
Mark Harrison
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty decent story as a long lost plane laden with a deadly poison nerve agent leads Dirk Pitt into numerous potentially life threatening situations. Less of the awful sexism that spoilt the earlier books and quite a good, gripping plot. Definitely an upturn for this series.
Neil
I love the cover of the “original” copy of the paperback. It is mysterious and has a supernatural aura about it, which is ‘sadly’ misleading, as there is nothing supernatural that occurs in this book. I still remember being haunted by the cover when I saw it as a young child; it sat on my uncle’s bookshelf and always drew my attention (this book and the paperback cover for Raise the Titanic!). Here you have this sunken aircraft with its windshield missing and yet there is an eerie orange glow fr ...more
Neil
This was [and still is] an interesting, if dated book, in my opinion. My first acquaintance with this book was my uncle's bookshelf when I would spend the night at my grandparent's house - I was always fascinated by the covers of many of his paperbacks. This one was always eerie - the glowing cabin in an airplane at the bottom of a body of water. Always stood out to me. It still moves at fast pace and has all of the essential elements necessary for a Dirk Pitt novel to take place. It does have d ...more
Feliks
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-thrillers
My second-favorite favorite 'Dirk Pitt' adventure after 'Raise the Titanic'. For some reason which eludes me, this chapter in the Pitt series is somehow not as talked-up as a few of the others; when in every category it ranks superior to all but his first. Of any Cussler title this one is surely the one you can go back to over and over.

Hey, I might not even re-read 'Raise the Titanic!' ever again, because that was truly such a singular, exalted, one-off experience. But in Vixen 03, what you hav
Paul
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
The storyline is not plausible in many ways, although the book starts with a good story. Many details in the book are technically implausible as well, as some of the actions were simply not possible (such as piloting a ship with a 22' draft up the Potomac).
Many or most of the weapons and aircraft mentioned were figments of Cussler's imagination, which also sucked some of the credibility from the book. The art on the front of the Bantam paperback is of a B-29 bomber, not a C-97 cargo plane as de
Greg Strandberg
I think this is my favorite Dirk Pitt novel.

It's one of the first we see his Congressional love interest, and we also get some good back story and glimpses of his hangar. But it's the gripping opening scenes and the tension with the lake that really sets it going.

Cussler really began to come into his own around this point, and it shows. I'll have to pick this one up again, and if you want to just sample one book by this guy, I'd say go with Vixen 03!
Barbara ★
Because of my love of the later Pitt novels, I grabbed this one without reading the premise. Boy what a mistake! This book was terrible. Heck I think Pitt appeared in only about 30% of it. Other than his time in bed with the congresswoman, Pitt actually plays a very small part of this book until the last 50 pages or so. I'm so disappointed as I usually love these books. I'll have to be more careful in choosing my books.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone.
James
Apr 10, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another adventure series with wondrous escapes. Always a good non-thinking read. Interesting histories in Prefaces. Saw him at Murder by the Book party in Denver years ago. He was too busy to meet. Certainly has lots of silver hair.
Ryan Burt
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
I listened to this on Audio tape. Usually a big fan of Dirk Pitt. But he isn't even in this book for what seems like more then half of it. At one point I wasn't even sure it was the same book. The ending was good.
Paulo Goulart
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aventura
Liked the structure, the parallel "stories" joining towards the end... And, as always, good action!
Isaac Langley
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very exciting. Dirk has to find a sunken plane that contains nucular warheads that terrorists want. When he raises the plane he realizes that 3 warheads are missing.
Eden Thompson
From my book blog www.JetBlackDragonfly.blogspot.com
Vixen 03 is a Dirk Pitt adventure novel by Clive Cussler. His action hero Pitt stars in over twenty of his fifty-plus novels and was introduced to many people in the fourth Pitt novel Raise The Titanic! in 1976. Cussler has several other character series on the go, written with other co-authors (meaning they are pumping at least one new novel every few months). The Pitt adventures always seem to follow the same blueprint, but always deliver as
Kirsten Simkiss
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I am eternally baffled at how bad the science in these books can be. It really left me with a bad taste in my mouth when I realized that the biological weapons the story surrounds would have been non-functional for years when Bass indicated they needed an oxygen-rich environment - which a metal canister sitting at the bottom of a pond for a couple of decades would not be capable of.

Additionally, Cussler still seems to see women as being as loose as his imagination would like them to be. There wa
Mick
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
For the first time as I read this series in the order Cussler wrote them, I feel he wrote a deep and interesting plot. The different parts, the tie-ins to South Africa and the AAR, the politics all seemed to fit into a good intriguing plot. His chauvinism showing through, the fact he believes that real men will need a chauvinistic lead to carry a story is still very apparent. But at least this time it is only in small phrases, bit parts, and barracks jokes.

Was it a good read? Yes. Was it a great
Geoff Battle
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cussler is on form with Vixen 03. It's definitely one of his better early novels. Dirk Pitt, a recurring character, features in this stand-alone tale of terrorism, with plenty of mystery and action. The second quarter of the book is tough going, for it doesn't feature Pitt at all. At this point there are quite a few characters introduced in a short space of time and it is quite taxing to keep up. However, Cussler is canny with his prose and utilises a few summarising techniques to keep the reade ...more
Tim Seabrook
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A plane veers of course, crashes and is lost for many years. Found in an unexpected place, the discoverer isn't the first to find it, an extra body not part of the original flight crew adds to the mystery along with its unusual cargo.

A bitter battle is raging in Africa, one group aiming to take power from the White's who have dominated the power for too long. Internal power struggles, intrigue from many different directions as each group tries to grab the reins.

The two courses intertwine increas
Bob
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
The story was a little too convoluted for my liking - the AAR seemed to flip flop regularly, which may have been because of the book being too short for the political games that were supposed to be happening. It was all feeling pretty rushed, which was weird because of how many weeks-long gaps were written into the story.

Still, not bad, especially when compared to books 1-3. Simple, quick reading.
Nick
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I've really been enjoying Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt series and Vixen 03 was no different. Pitt finds the wreck of Vixen 03, a WWII cargo plane with mysterious canisters aboard and an extra body that's not a crew member. Turns out two canisters are missing and they contain a bio-weapon. The chase is on!! I was slightly disappointed at the ending as I felt Cussler rushed it a little. Still an enjoyable read!
Onur
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I've been following Dirk Pitt series that was the most complicated story so far but it has no bad effect on readability. Two stories going through differently meet at the end of the story. Pitt is classical Pitt and being always at the correct place in the correct time, always dodging bullets and making friends. I can feel Clive was gaining much experience while writing these by the adventures become more and more interesting in each book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • The Cult of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)
  • Bahama Crisis
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton #6)
  • The White House Connection (Sean Dillon, #7)
  • Cold War (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #5)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)
  • Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11)