Start by marking “Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)” as Want to Read:
Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)

Dragon

(Dirk Pitt #10)

Clive Cussler, author of over twenty consecutive New York Times bestsellers, brings back beloved hero Dirk Pitt in this electrifying, edge-of-your-seat thriller.

Japan, 1945: Two US bombers take off with atomic bombs. Only one gets through.

The Pacific, 1993: A Japanese cargo ship bound for the United States is instantly, thunderously vaporized, taking with it a Norwegian
Published October 31st 2006 by Pocket Books (first published June 15th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon

Start your review of Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)
John Shumway
Nov 06, 2009 rated it liked it
This is the same comment for all the Dirk Pitt books:
Great set of books, I had to stagger these books into my reading rotation since they are so similar.
Dirk Series Book in less then 50 words.
(introduction to bad guy, introduction to hot chick, introduction to Dirk, Dirk gets in impossible dangerous situations to stop the bad guy, Dirk wins, Dirk gets the hot chick.)
Glen
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ahhh, the good old days when Japan, Inc. was going to take over the world.

In 1945, not just two, but more like five atomic bombs were sent to Japan, but only two actually made it to their ultimate goal. In more modern times, a Japanese billionaire megalomaniac has located one of these bombs and has plans to use it on the USA. Dirk Pitt and company starts poking around, and eventually find themselves trapped on an island with a madman who hunts humans with robots.

One of the better books inthe
Jaemi
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pacific Ocean, 1993. A Norwegian vessel heading out to sea comes upon a seemingly abandoned Japanese Cargo ship. Before searching for the crew, they send a party aboard to check for anyone remaining on board, thinking to lay claim to the cargo. Slightly further along, a British vessel floats, the launch-point for an underwater exploration.

Aboard the Japanese ship, the Norwegians find one man on the bridge, who looks as if he was boiled. In the engine room, doors have been propped open in order
George
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
In typical Clive Cussler / Dirk Pitt fashion the book opens with action and it doesn't slow down until the book is over. As usual, Dirk is the ideal hero. He can do no wrong, escapes every incredible situation, and saves the day. He's an action hero in typical Indiana Jones/John McClane/Jack Ryan/Jack Bauer fashion. Though the story moves fast, is engaging, and action packed, Cussler's frequent macho catchphrases, near deification of Pitt, and penchant for inserting himself into the story does ...more
Neil
This was a fun book to revisit. I still remember the shock I felt at the end of the book the first time I read it; had the author done things differently, it would have made a great cliff-hanger of an ending and ‘forced’ readers and fans of the series to buy the next book post-haste. As it was, I still remember rereading the ending several times because I could not believe it. It moves at a good pace; it held my attention; it was a fun, escapist read. The characters are entertaining; each book ...more
Matt
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, 2019-reads
The Cold War seems to be winding down, but a new economic war appears to be on the horizon with the added element of nuclear blackmail. Dragon is the tenth book of Clive Cussler’s Dirk Pitt series as the titular hero finds himself sucked into a espionage war between the U.S. and fanatical ultranationalist Japanese businessmen and criminals looking to create a new empire.

On 6 August 1945, a B-29 Bomber “Dennings Demons” takes off from the Aleutians with an atomic bomb headed for Osaka without
Kristen
Jan 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: action-adventure
This was my first Clive Cussler book, My husband is a huge fan and has read most of them. I finally agreed that I'd read one and snagged this out of the pile.

What we have is an action adventure novel with an aloof superhero type guy by the name of Dirk Pitt and his comedic sidekick Al Giordino. The book involves some nukes, some evil Japanese businessmen, an explosion or two, a madman with a samuri sword, lots of underwater mining equipment, a kidnapping and quite a few chase scenes... oh and
Karin Costa
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok, first of all, I read this book in German, as this book is not available in English anymore for Kindle.
As for the book itself, if you love the Dirk Pitt series, it will not disappoint. I got into the Pitt Series a long time ago but started on the later books and once I decided to read the series from the beginning I started seeing the character development, which is very well done.
Here Pitt is more given the role of one of many players, but as always saves the day with the help of his friend
Chris Haak
Feb 16, 2020 rated it liked it
The story was exciting, and the last half of the book was pretty entertaining (I read it very quickly), but the excessive nationalism, offensive references to “Japs” throughout the book, and the extremely dated references to Japan’s economic might were a turn-off. It just didn’t age very well 30 years later.
Emily Jackson
Apr 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Great beginning but lost interest later on. I liked how it talked about Japanese Americans and Americans but felt like the plot was not good enough
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
A consortium of rich Japanese industrialists and Japanese criminal organizations are out to remove the United States as a world power through economic blackmail and the threat of using nuclear bombs. They want total control of Hawaii and California as well as for the United States to become an economic colony of Japan. NUMA and Dirk Pitt are the only thing standing in their way.
Joshua
Sep 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Let’s face it – given the fact that the adventure genre is filled with clichés and not typically given to introspection, a one star book in this genre must be very, very bad. And indeed Dragon is the most atrocious thing I’ve ever read, and I’ve read quite a few atrocious things. This book is racist to an almost astounding level. Even if Dragon was not offensive on every level conceivable and quite a few that aren’t, it would still be a contemptible, disgusting piece of literature. The very fact ...more
Bogdan
Feb 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: new-world
First of all, I want to confess that I did not had high expectations before reading this novel. I knew it is an adventure book and I wanted it to read only for a break from my regular reading list.

But when the dialogue is so artificial and forced plus the plot is insulting reader's intelligence, I simply could not rate it higher. It actually ruined my planned "light reading" with these faults. No offense for the fans of the genre, fans of Cussler or of this particular novel. If you enjoy it,
Corey
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
I haven't read Clive Cussler in a long time, I still know most of the primary characters by heart. Dragon is a fast paced action adventure, a fun read.
JP
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
[Dirk Pitt] had always believed that insurmountable odds were surmountable.

These books are so ridiculous.

In 1945, a nuclear bomb is lost on it's way to Japan (apparently there were two sent in this world). In 1993, a Japanese cargo ship is found adrift with obvious--to the reader--signs of radiation poisoning. You'd think the two things are related, but ... we'll you'll just to read and find out.

And along the way? Japanese criminals/businessmen hoping to take over the world economically, by
Joe
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I read several Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels when I was in junior high and high school. Along with the works of Michael Crichton, they were probably one of the main reasons I fell in love with reading while my classmates began pouring themselves into video games.

Dirk Pitt is hybrid James Bond/Indiana Jones characters who works for the National Underwater and Marine Agency (NUMA), a fictional government agency devoted to ocean exploration and investigation. The novels are pretty bombastic,
Phil Leader
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
At the end of the Second World War, America sends more than two atomic bombs to be dropped on Japan, but the other planes crashed. Fast forward fifty years and against a backdrop of US paranoia about the rise of Japanese industry, it seems that at least one of those missing bombs has been found.

Dirk Pitt must race against the clock to uncover the fate of the weapons and what use they may be put to. And not all of his foes are human.

It has to be said you generally know what you are going to get
Michael
Feb 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
I read the blub for this in a book shop and thought I sounded amazing.... I had never read anything by clive cussler before and I couldn't wait to read it.

My god how I was disappointed. This is utter trash I'm sorry to say.

I hardly ever stop reading books half way through but this one I gave up on.

Dirk Pitt as a character is like a superman. He can do no wrong, and why does he need his advisors and specialists when he knows more than them about their subjects?

The storyline was utterly
Jen
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
It’s so true that if you’ve read one Dirk Pitt novel you’ve read them all. However, I can’t stop picking these books up when I find them at the thrift store. Good fun. This one seemed longer than most. It’s at least three different adventures crammed in one book. I don’t really mind the blatant chauvinism. It’s so over the top that I find it funny even though I think the author is serious. I only gave this 3 stars mostly because of the blatant, kind of hard to swallow (doesn’t age well) racism. ...more
Kevin Findley
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, adventure
Easily one of the most fun adventure novels I have read in a long time. Somehow I missed Cussler's sea hero back in the 90s, but I was a hardcore Clancy fan back then.

Dirk Pitt is right up there with Bond in his ability to have the exact skill at the right moment to save the day. I was intrigued by the NUMA organization enough to want to read more of the novels.

The anti-Japan feeling many people had back then is on full display, but so is the "we didn't do anything wrong" attitude so many
Kaitlyn Dunnett
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
This is a re-read for me, an action-adventure techno-thriller. I still think the premise of the "evil plot" is one of the scariest I've ever come across. My biggest complaint is that there was more detail than was necessary when it came to Cussler's interests--cars, planes, undersea exploration. A little goes a long way for those of us who aren't buffs. All Cussler's books are lengthy, which is fine, but I have to say that as I get older it's harder to hold a heavy hardcover than it used to be. ...more
Geoff Battle
Dirk Pitt, Cussler's hero who is always in the wrong place, finds himself in the centre of a nuclear maelstrom. Japan fronts the diabolical mastermind this time, with killer robots, uber-secret hideouts and katana wielding maniacs. Leave your disbelief at the front cover, for Dragon is a non-stop wild ride of espionage and action. Not as engaging as some of Cussler's other works, Dragon still entertains from cover to cover.
Curt Chaffin
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: vacation
It was the usual page-turning, excitement-filled Dirk Pitt story. It was not my favorite of the Cussler books, but it was still a fun read. There were a couple awkward passages that show the book's age--especially concerning the Japanese antagonists. I don't think it was malicious or in too bad of taste, but it was still a little uncomfortable at times (even for a book written 30 years ago). Apart from that, it was a pretty good book for vacation or to intersperse with more high-brow reading.
Stephanie
My husband and I read books together on occasion and as we were going on a long road trip I grabbed this for us to read. My husband loves Clive Cussler books and we have read several together; I believe this was our 4th or 5th Clive Cussler book. It always has action and adventure, with a fair mix of the hero getting the girl. I enjoyed the story and the suspense in it.
Shannon Babb
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not the best of the Clive Cussler novels, but also far from the worst. This is a James Bond-like tale with a nautical twist. A comfortable beach read filled with a quick moving plot and requires pretty much no thought to follow. I have read this novel years ago and was pleasantly surprised that I still enjoyed it as an adult.
Max Winkler
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like Cussler's Dirk Pitt series. The books are mainly geared for men to read as Dirk is a James Bond type of character. Dragon is well-written. My only negative about the book is that it might be about 150 pages too long. Cussler tends to be almost too descriptive at times. If you like the other "NUMA" books, you'll most likely like this one.
Martial Trevett
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nuclear threat from the Japanese businessman. People who assume absolute power always run into trouble when they run into Dirk Pitt. Pitt and Giordino save the world again from Japanese dominance. In the 1990's everyone was afraid that Japan would own the U.S. Well, that didn't happen in this book or in real life. I love the ending!
Jay Gabler
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dirk Pitt goes to Japan and battles robots on a fortress island, dramatizing American anxieties about technological dominance in the ‘90s.

“We owe Pitt our butts.”
- the President of the United States of America
Pugs are Awesome!
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Suresh Vijendran
I was hooked to Clive Cussler, as this was the first book that I read some 20+ years back. From then on, I have searched and read all his books.

Lots of interconnecting plots and interesting.

This is a worth read, almost every 2-3 years.

• Cold Harbour (Dougal Munro and Jack Carter, #2)
  • Hothouse Orchid (Holly Barker, #6)
  • Wild Justice
  • Santorini
  • Airframe
  • Map of the Dead (Alex MacLure #1)
  • Beverly Hills Dead (Rick Barron, #2)
  • The War After Armageddon
  • The Night of the Long Knives: Forty-Eight Hours That Changed the History of the World
  • Glazed America: A History of the Doughnut
  • The Hillside Stranglers
  • Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • Spiritual Multiplication in the Real World
  • Scorched Earth (Tom Clancy's Op-Center #15)
  • He Loves Me!: Learning to Live in the Father's Affection
  • Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3)
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • The Mountain Master of Sha Tin (Ava Lee #12)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11)