Start by marking “Hello, Friends!: Stories from My Life and Blue Jays Baseball” as Want to Read:
Hello, Friends!: Stories from My Life and Blue Jays Baseball

Hello, Friends!: Stories from My Life and Blue Jays Baseball

An honest memoir about life, family, and baseball from the longtime, legendary Toronto Blue Jays radio broadcaster.

Published February 12th 2019 by ECW Press

To ask other readers questions about Hello, Friends!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello, Friends!

Start your review of Hello, Friends!: Stories from My Life and Blue Jays Baseball
N.N. Light
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book for baseball fans to enjoy, Blue Jays fans in particular. If you were lucky enough you got to wile away the hours listening to 'Tom and Jerry' call the Jays on the radio through the heydays of the 80's and the 90's. Jerry Howarth has been one of the voices of the Blue Jays since the early days. This book tells you the fascinating story of Jerry's life from his beginnings through his entire career. You get incredible memories and stories that just amaze a reader.

As an avid f
Lance
When a broadcaster does the games for one team for a long time, that person will have a vast collection of stories to share. That is the case for Jerry Howarth, who was a radio broadcaster for the Toronto Blue Jays from 1982 to 2017. He shares many of those stories and some about himself as well in this memoir.

As one might imagine, a person who has had the same job for 36 years will have a wide variety of stories to tell. Of course, he shares his recollections on famous moments in Blue Jays hist
A Reader's Heaven

For 36 years, Jerry Howarth ushered in eternal hope each spring and thrived in the drive of each fall as the voice of the Toronto Blue Jays. In 1982, the lifelong avid sports fan joined Tom Cheek as full-time play-by-play radio announcer for the Blue Jays, and for the next 23 years, “Tom and Jerry” were the voices of the franchise. Jerry became part of the fabric of a nation and a team, covering historic momen
Andrew
A well-known comedian/actor whose love of baseball is legendary included his impressions of some Yankees legends in one of his books. The guy loved Mickey Mantle, despite his flaws. He did not like Joe Dimaggio, because of his. Perhaps this was because he knew the former well enough to see past the negatives and could focus on his good points. The latter, his only encounters were negative ones.

Jerry Howarth's new book, “Hello, Friends!” takes the approach that the aforementioned author took wit
Chris
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Blue Jays baseball on the radio and Tom And Jerry are the fabric of my early days as a baseball fan. Tom and Jerry taught me the game that I really knew nothing about when I started watching around 1989.

My hope for this book was a warm, heart warming story of the the man behind the mic since the 80s. One of a handful that has seen the good, bad and ugly of the Toronto Blue Jays. What the book was, was a chronicle of Jerry Howarth’s time with the Blue Jays and small, intimate snippets of the pla
Prcs Rambharose
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks for the ARC copy of this book from ECW Press.... This book is an In depth look on and off the field at the game of Baseball through the commentators and players points of view.....Jerry worked hard in the early stages of his Career by recording games, and then playing back commentary's on the tapes..
A good daily routine is essential for Jerry in Order to be a fine broadcastor, he broadcasts approx 162 games per season and before each game does a lot of preparation and research from his pl
Girl Well Read
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, reviewed
A special thank you to Edelweiss and ECW Press for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Jerry Howarth has been the voice of the Toronto Blue Jays for 36 years. He has covered historic moments, like the rise of the Blue Jays through the 1980s that resulted in back-to-back World Series Championships in 1992 and 1993, and worked with the best in sports. His remarkable broadcasting career is legendary, evident in the tributes that poured in when he retired this past February.

In this book, Howarth
Blue Jays Baseball
Jerry Howarth
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
ECW Press

Though now retired (2017), the long-time play-by-play voice for the Toronto Blue Jays still has much to say. Hello, Friends is a rambling collection of anecdotal shorts in which Jerry Howarth recollects many of the memorable people, places, and events that shaped his life and career.

Born in York, Pennsylvania, Howarth recounts his circuitous route through childhood, teenage, and young adult year
Cathy Austin
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well done Jerry Howarth! Not just Blue Jays fans, but all fans of baseball will enjoy reading about the birth of the Jays from 1977 to current day.
Jerry is a nice guy, a 'gentleman' described by many who know him and oh boy, a heck of a lot of people do from players to management to fans' moms and dads to players families. He is likable, personable, easy to get on with, easy to chat with and tell your story to.
Brought up on the west coast, from an early age Jerry was into all sports and so want
Teena in Toronto
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian
Jerry Howarth is a former sportscaster. He was born in the U.S. and became a Canadian citizen in 1994. He is best known as the radio play-by-play voice of the Toronto Blue Jays from 1981 through the 2017 season.

Howarth started his career in Toronto where he worked part of the 1981 Blue Jays season as a commentator. In 1982, he joined Tom Cheek as his full-time play-by-play partner. For the next 23 years, "Tom and Jerry" would be the radio voices of the Blue Jays (Cheek passed away in 2005).

Howar
Rebecca Maria
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is great for people who love baseball and the Blue Jays. There were many stories from Howarth's early childhood through his retirement. His stories from his days as a major league broadcaster are not only about Blue Jays players, but players from other teams as well so don’t think this book is only about the Jays. Howarth's unique stories really showcase what the league is really like, how the players are behind the scenes, and interesting statistics about the players and the league it ...more
Daniel Stern
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Edward Fenner
A decent memoir by a decent man. Lots of fun and heart-felt anecdotes and interesting stories for baseball fans - and Blue Jays fans in particular. Two things bothered me about this book. It needed a solid edit. Structurally, Jerry told his story episodically about people and events. Most got a paragraph or two, some less, others more. However, Jerry would suddenly change the person discussed in the next paragraph under a different person's heading. That was a bit jarring because it did not foll ...more
Slappy
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This will appeal to diehard Blue Jays fans who have been there from the beginning. Casual fans not so much.

There was a little jumping around that seemed disjointed.

Jerry obviously does not lack confidence. I found it interesting that he couldnt come up with a single bad thing to say about practically anyone. He did gloss over his comments about Jose Reyes. He presented it as if he just was a little too harsh with his criticism of Reyes' play, whereas in reality the controversy at the time was
Tom Gase
Jul 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Kind of a chronological history of the Toronto Blue Jays from the early 80's to the present as told by longtime announcer Jerry Howarth. I loved how he talked about a bunch of players such as Tony Fernandez, Jesse Barfield, George Bell, Lloyd Moseby, Damaso Garcia, Dave Stieb, Jimmy Key, Joe Carter, Roberto Alomar, Paul Molitor, Rickey Henderson, John Olerued, Dave Winfield, Jack Morris, Juan Guzman, Tom Henke, Carlos Delgado, Shawn Green, Roy Halliday, Roger Clemens, Pat Hentegen, Jose Bautista ...more
Annie
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir-bio, baseball, dwg
Hello Friends! is a great book for baseball fans, especially fans of the Blue Jays. It is also an inspirational story for people thinking of a career in sports broadcasting.

Jerry included interesting facts about his life and how he got his start in sports broadcasting and found his own style. I was surprised to find out that he attended law school and was in the military.

He also has many behind-the-scenes stories of players, managers, coaches and baseball executives. I enjoyed the personal sto
Jason
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ellen Dark
Oct 10, 2020 rated it liked it
The reader learns more about Jerry Howarth and his life leading up to when he became one of the radio broadcasters for the Toronto Blue Jays. The majority of the book is a chronological history of the Toronto Blue Jays and the people who played for the team. This is not a "tell all" by any means, but the book reflects its author. I could picture Jerry at the microphone talking about each of the (mainly) men who worked in various capacities for the team. It was an enjoyable read for this fan of t ...more
The Master
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
A breezy collection of memories that span almost the entirety of Toronto Blue Jays history.

Howarth opens with some autobiographical chapters before rolling out a who's who of the Blue Jays organization from the early 80s to 2018. He calls out dozens of players and gives a quick story about each one before moving right on to the next one in an almost stream-of-consciousness manner. A great stroll down memory lane for Jays fans.
Neil Gaudet
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a good book any Blue Jays fan will enjoy. It has some nice memories for us nostalgic people. It suffers from a routine where Jerry mentions a person, says how much he liked them and gives a quick personal story. This repeats over and over and becomes somewhat predictable and tedious. However you’ll find yourself smiling at memories you’ve shared with Jerry as a Jays fan so it’s worth it just for that alone.
Julie Guindon
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: print-copies
I LOVED IT! If you are a Jays fan, if you are a baseball fan, you need to read this. I was so fortunate to meet Jerry at his book signing when I got this for my dad (and read it before I gifted it to him). The words in the pages match the voice on the radio match the man himself. He’s truly a beautiful soul and one of the kindest people I have met. I had a very serendipitous encounter with Jerry that day, and it will stand out as one of my favourite memories. Thank you Jerry.
Kevin
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
. I grew up watching the Jays through the losing seasons of the late 70's right in to the 2017 season. Jerry does a great job of highlighting all the important events that I remember as a fan. It's a book that focuses on mainly the positives of his memories and interactions over the years. This is a great read for any baseball fan.
Dave McGowan
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book! It brought back so many memories of when I used to listen to Jays games with my dad. The inside stories and personal tidbits on the players and their families was exceptional. Jerry paints a wonderful picture whether he’s on the air or writing a book.
Peggy
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian, memoir
I have been a Blue Jays fan since the beginning so I was keen to read this book, which is part memoir, part history. It brought back a lot of memories, but I was a bit overwhelmed with all the names and details. But Jerry Howarth is a good, kind, human being and it was great to reminisce.
Gilda
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, easy-to-read book, written by a beloved baseball commentator for the Toronto Blue Jays. Nothing deep or thoughtful here, just interesting anecdotes and cherished memories of the heydays.
Martha
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Some good stories and tidbits. It pains to me say, though -- this book needed a good edit. There were so many clunky and awkward sentences, along with some basic errors (there's no such place as St. John, N.B.). It was also a bit repetitive and disorganized. I enjoyed it, but tripping over the writing itself was distracting.

Update: Having since heard Jerry speak and tell a few stories from Hello, Friends!, it definitely works better out loud.
Gary
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
#19 - 25. Hard cover. For any baseball fan, and especially a fan of the Blue Jays, this is a good book to read. Chock full of stories and insight of a host of baseball’s luminaries.
Curious
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
As a jays fan, I thought it would contain more insight. Too much recounting of names, draft dates, statistics. Little cerebral thought from the author, especially the last 2/3 of the book.
Richard John
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pree coo!!
Christopher
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
While it doesn't qualify as great writing, this memoir was warm and heartfelt, and a great trip down memory lane with my favorite baseball team.

• Scotty: A Hockey Life Like No Other
  • Cujo: The Untold Story of My Life On and Off the Ice
  • Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big
  • Change Up: How to Make the Great Game of Baseball Even Better
  • The Back Roads to March: The Unsung, Unheralded, and Unknown Heroes of a College Basketball Season
  • Football for a Buck: The Crazy Rise and Crazier Demise of the USFL
  • The Sound and the Glory: How the Seattle Sounders Showed Major League Soccer How to Win Over America
  • Eight Men Out: The Black Sox and the 1919 World Series
  • The Wax Pack: On the Open Road in Search of Baseball’s Afterlife
  • Ballpark: Baseball in the American City
  • The Battle of Alberta: The Historic Rivalry Between the Edmonton Oilers and the Calgary Flames
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11
  • Love Me Do!: The Beatles' Progress
  • Bad Ideas
  • The Cactus League
  • Up, Up, and Away: The Kid, the Hawk, Rock, Vladi, Pedro, le Grand Orange, Youppi!, the Crazy Business of Baseball, and the Ill-fated but Unforgettable Montreal Expos
  • The Only Rule Is It Has to Work: Our Wild Experiment Building a New Kind of Baseball Team
  • Stealing Home: Los Angeles, the Dodgers, and the Lives Caught in Between