Start by marking “Attack and Defense (Elementary Go Series, #5)” as Want to Read:
Attack and Defense (Elementary Go Series, #5)

Attack and Defense

(Elementary Go Series #5)

The middle game of go often appears chaotic, but there is order in the chaos, as this book plainly reveals. The result of a joint effort by a tournament-winning Japanese professional player and an experienced American go writer, Attack and Defense lays down a few clear principles, then goes through a wealth of applications: examples, problems, and case studies from profess ...more
Published March 13th 2017 by Kiseido Publishing Company (first published January 1980)

Start your review of Attack and Defense (Elementary Go Series, #5)
Manny
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm continuing with my program of brushing up on my Go in preparation for the AlphaGo-Lee Sedol match next month. This book had been lying around on my games shelf for several years; it turned out to be pretty good.

The authors assume you know the basics, and do a nice job of introducing you to real strategy: not just thinking about the next few stones (can I kill this group? can I make a connection here?), but the global flow of the game. In chess terms, it's like levelling up from I take him, h
Tran
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: go-weiqi
From the first few pages, the book already teaches me a super important concept in playing Go: the balance of territory and the balance of influence (power). As the game develops I usually focus either locally or the whole board, trying to figure out the next move without knowing that calculating the balance of territory and influence can help to shape my strategy better.

The author gives a broader definition of attacking. “One must not let oneself become obsessed with killing and capturing”

I e
Andrew
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant book, a continuation from beginner-level Go texts.

The authors go through various small- and large-scale attack techniques, and run through basic invasion point on standard shapes and their sequences.

The writing is clear, and there several problems are included.

I recommend this text after you have a grasp of the basics; no doubt I will be returning to it.
Serge Pierro
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: go
This should be considered the definitive guide to attacking and defending in Go. There is a wide variety of material presented within - for both the beginner and the intermediate player. Clearly a book that should be read multiple times. I had taken this out from the library, but I will certainly be looking to obtain a copy for myself. Highly recommended!!
Le Zeng
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very practical book for a 10k - 15k player. As a player who's only played 1 month of Go in 9x9 and 13x13 board, this book gives me a good direction and guidance on what to consider on the larger board.

The attacking moves on Chapter2 and Chapter3 are especially exciting to learn. The 3-space extension moves of Chapter 8 are very practical too.

Gary Fields
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. It helped illuminate new ways of thinking when moving to attack. My only complaint with it would be that some diagrams contain too many moves. So it’s difficult for less experienced players to mentally follow the moves.
KJ
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read book for any english speak who wants to be 1 dan or more.
Ander P
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am not a good player, but you do not have to be good to realize how useful and deep this book is!
Jdl
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: go
"Attack and Defense" covers the middle game, where the potential territory that was sketched out in the opening starts to solidify. This book is about the struggle to hang onto what you have, while grabbing what your opponent has claimed.

The first four chapters are worth the price of the book for a beginning player.

Chapter 1 introduces the concept of territory versus power. A player who has never heard of this is going to be blown away. It's something that new players can understand, but it's un
Chloe Moon
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! There is so much to learn in here!

A 5d friend of mine gave me this, Tesuji, and Kageyama's Fundamentals. He said that I can basically keep re-reading each and they're all I'll ever need. While I've read numerous other books, I do think that these three have been the most enlightening and helpful books I've read.

I first worked through this cover to cover from 14-10k, and then again from 7-6k. Every time I read parts of this, I learn something and will continue to revisit it!
Steve
Jan 28, 2009 added it
GO
Philippe Fanaro
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very well written and complete.
Phedias Christodoulides

• The Second Book of Go: What You Need to Know After You've Learned the Rules
  • The Direction of Play
  • "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!": Adventures of a Curious Character
  • Opening Theory Made Easy
  • Life and Death (Elementary Go Series, #4)
  • The Master of Go
  • Prelude to Mathematics
  • The Dragon Style (Learn to Play Go, #3)
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
  • The Last Night of the Earth Poems
  • Reclaiming Conversation: The Power of Talk in a Digital Age
  • Invincible: Inside Arsenal's Unbeaten 2003-2004 Season
  • Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go (Beginner and Elementary Go Books)
  • The Attention Merchants: The Epic Scramble to Get Inside Our Heads
  • Chop Wood Carry Water: How to Fall In Love With the Process of Becoming Great
  • How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems
  • The Greek Myths: 1
Name (in native language): 石田 あきら ...more

Elementary Go Series (7 books)
  • In the Beginning  (Elementary Go Series, #1)
  • 38 Basic Joseki (Elementary Go Series, #2)
  • Tesuji (Elementary Go Series, #3)
  • Life and Death (Elementary Go Series, #4)
  • The Endgame (Elementary Go Series, #6)
  • Handicap Go (Elementary Go Series, #7)

News & Interviews