Start by marking “The Way I Was Made: Words and Music for an Unusual Life” as Want to Read:
The Way I Was Made: Words and Music for an Unusual Life

The Way I Was Made: Words and Music for an Unusual Life

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Dance like there's no one watching The Bible clearly shows that we have been uniquely created for a purposeful life, but it's not meant to be about us, or our career, or our fame. It's all about God, and His glory. That's the purpose of Chris Tomlin's first book - to get you to think of yourself as one of God's fame builders. You and I are formed from the dust of His creat ...more
Published December 16th 2004 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about The Way I Was Made, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way I Was Made

Sarah Grace
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this YEAAARS ago, but I remember liking it, and finding it very inspiring, especially for aspiring musicians.
Tammy Dorrycott
I enjoyed this as an audio book narrated by Chris Tomlin himself. It was great! He told stories about his childhood and how he found his calling as a Christian musician. There is good music on it as well. The story is very uplifting and encouraging especially for someone who is on that journey to find their calling. I heartily recommend it
Eben
Jul 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
all of the "passion" songwriters are committed to this theme of God's purpose, and their place in His plan. I love it! Tomlin is a hymn writer for my generation.
Lynnette
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 1
This is a small, simple book of Tomlin’s reflections about how God has shaped Tomlin's view of worshiping with his whole life. It’s written as a conversation between Tomlin and the readers and resembles a devotional book with questions in the back included. Although the book just scratches the surface of Biblical worship, this is a great intro for any Christian or worship leader who is looking to start defining his or her philosophy of church music. It is also a fresh reminder for more mature be ...more
Kimberly
I needed a shorter read, but this was a pretty powerful little nugget. Written to a college-age and young adult audience, it is certainly applicable for all ages.

Chris Tomlin does such a good job and presenting his own testimony--he's not perfect (nor are any of us) and he doesn't have it all figured out, but he has learned about worship. He is a worship leader, which may lead a potential reader to believe the book is only about musical worship, in the pews, etc. But worship is every part of ou
Jane Fournier
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have many CD's of Chris Tomlin given to me during a time of grieving the lose of my husband.
I went to see his America concert in LA and it was amazing. Normally I would not care for all the loud music and bright lights plus thousands of people, but I was enthralled. The words, the love, the faith that Chris puts into his music is heartwarming and I wish the whole USA could hear his music.
The book is kind of a diary of his life where and when he was introduced to our God and how he has found h
Kelli
Its a sweet and nice book. Much of how I thought of such a great person as Chris Tomlin would be. It makes his songs resonate more, to know where he has come and where God has raised him up, specifically.
Nick Randle
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
great book
Matt
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
Good story. Showed Tomlin is real. It just wasn't that moving.
Stephanie McGarrity
Love his music and I know everyone has a story to tell. Still, Chris isn't the best writer. It was short and sweet and I'm glad for that.
Brooke
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiring-books
I actually read this in 8th grade. But I remembered reading it and I remember that it was very good. Chris Tomlin is an excellent writer and I think I would read this book again.
Jenna
Apr 23, 2009 rated it liked it
The book wasn't really what I was expecting. I thought it would be more about his life and music, but instead I felt very preached at. It was a quick read and some parts were really interesting.
Karen
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book. I highly recommend it...easy read!
Danielle
Tgpaulsen
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
meh. didn't hate it.
Chong Yu En
rated it did not like it
Apr 14, 2017
Briana Ingles
Jun 02, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Air I Breathe: Worship as a Way of Life
  • Back to Jerusalem: Three Chinese House Church Leaders Share Their Vision to Complete the Great Commission
  • Mission Possible: The Story of a Wycliffe Missionary
  • Things as They Are: Mission Work in Southern India
  • Dorie: The Girl Nobody Loved
  • God's Guidance: A Slow and Certain Light
  • Worship Matters: Leading Others to Encounter the Greatness of God
  • When God Intervenes: An Extraordinary Story of Faith, Hope, and the Power of Prayer
  • One Perfect Life: The Complete Story of the Lord Jesus