Start by marking “My Side of the Mountain Trilogy (Mountain #1-3)” as Want to Read:
My Side of the Mountain Trilogy (Mountain #1-3)

My Side of the Mountain Trilogy

(Mountain #1-3)

In 1959, Jean Craighead George published My Side of the Mountain. This coming-of-age story about a boy and his falcon went on to win a Newbery Honor, and for the past forty years has enthralled and entertained generations of would-be Sam Gribleys. The two books that followed--On the Far Side of the Mountain and Frightful's Mountain--were equally extraordinary. Now all thre ...more
Published October 23rd 2000 by Dutton Books for Young Readers (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about My Side of the Mountain Trilogy, please sign up.
Morgan I would highly reconmend this book. This book is about a boy who lives in the city with his family. He had a grandpa that owned a mountain back in the…moreI would highly reconmend this book. This book is about a boy who lives in the city with his family. He had a grandpa that owned a mountain back in the day. The boys dad had always talked about it. The boy never liked the city he wanted to run away to the mountain. The dad and him had always joked about the boy running away there. He really wated to. so one day he did. The dad thought that he wouldn run away then come back in a little bit, but the boy didnt. He actually went and found the mountain. He found a hollow tree and lived there. He made a few friends there... Animal friends. He lived there for a few years. One day his family decided to go look for him. They found him and had a bunch of reporters there to. The family wasnt worried at all they new he was safe. The family ended up making a wooden house there. (less)

Rachel
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I first read this book as a teenager and dreamt about going and living in a hollowed out tree myself in the mountains. As a youth it seemed so romantic. Now my teenage kids read it and it is a favorite of theirs.
Axel_8D1
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it tells you how to survive in a forest, and It tells you a story about a boy who I think was lost in a forest, so then he made a house in a tree, and made clothes out of leather. For my opinion when I read this book I felt cozy for no reason.
James
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing

My Side of the Mountain was an excellent book. I felt like I could relate to it so much. It’s about a boy who runs away from home and goes to live in the Catskill Mountains. He has heard stories of an old family member who used to live in these mountains. My favorite character is Sam Gribley, the boy who has run away. I feel like I am him in real life, I want to run away and live in the mountains somewhere. I don’t have a least favorite character, but I do have another favorite, Frightful. Frig
Isaac Moss
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was amazing, I love how a boy learns how to survive in the woods, he shows great courage, and it even teaches you a few things about the woods, I must say if I was him I would not do it.
Jonah
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
Great story! Could not put it down.
Ethan Mason
Imagine- Leaving your home for an entire year, to live off the land. In the realistic fiction book, My Side of The Mountain, by Jean Craighead George, that's exactly what the main character Sam Gribley does.

Sam is a 12 year old teenage boy from New York City. His father had always told him about his grandfathers land, and Sam knew it was time to go find it, and leave the loud, packed, and stressful city. Over his year long journey, Sam encounters many different struggles, and other things in th
Andy
Sep 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
I read the book “My Side of the Mountain” by Jean Craighead George. I did not like this book at all. I thought that it was really boring and that not much happened in the whole 177 pages of this book. I felt like the author just got bored with this book half way through and just wanted to finish this book.

“My Side of the Mountain” starts off as him just surviving in the wilderness with his pet falcon named Fightfull. Then one day he notices that he is running out of food. This gives him the ide
Alex R
Jan 31, 2013 marked it as to-read
This book was great. There I said it. This book really just kept me busy over the past couple of weeks. It is a great Survival book and gets the reader quikly. From Blizzards to Storms, this is one of the best books I have ever read.

Sam Gribley lives in New York, a shy boy but adventurous. He hates the city, it's just not him, so he escapes to the Catskill Mountains, the start to his adventure. He soon learns how to find shelter, make fire, and catch fish to cook them over the fire. Soon he find
claudia
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A childhood Fav. Totally wanted to be Sam. Wanted to live in a tree.... not now though—-I like my little house, bed, oven and running water!
As an adult.... kept wondering where in the heck are his parents?! In spite of absent parents, I still loved this book.
Camilla Sanders
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT! NO SWEARS AND ITS AWESOME! A MUST READ! Makes me wanna run away but i wont cause i love my dog to much lol
Annika
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
"My Side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George, is an extraordinary book about a young man, Sam Gribley, who leaves his cramped family home in New York City, to survive off of the family land in the Catskill Mountains. The book itself is written as if it is Sam's journal and is in first person point of view,and is a record of all of the things that Sam goes through as a result of surviving off of the land.

This story if one of my personal favorites due to the fact that it is about survival a
TJ  Beaver
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My Side of the Mountain is a great historical fiction book. This book is about a young boy named Sam who hates his life in New York City and decides to come out to the Catskill Mountains and lives there. He chooses a big tree to live in and finds a little bird and trains her to hunt for him. Sam has to live off the gird, fend for himself, and survive. My favorite part of this book is when Sam gets his bird Frightful who was living in a nest as a little baby. Sam finds her as a baby and takes her ...more
Lisa
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite books as a kid was My Side of the Mountain and I just recently became aware of the fact that it had been turned into a trilogy. So I reread My Side of the Mountain and read Far Side of the Mountain and Frightful's Mountain.

I'm happy that a reread My Side because there were big chunks of the plot that I had forgotten about and would have been lost if I had just jumped into Far Side. I still loved My Side, really enjoyed Far Side, but didn't like Frightful's Mountain at all. Th
Christians
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it tells you on how to survive in the wild and it tell you how to make tools and I like how he lives in a hemlock tree that he dug out to live in. But i like how he tried and looked so long for his family lost long farm/land and on that way he find a baby eagle and raises it to become his pet and his bird named frightful helps him hunt and his bird catches rats and other types of animals. But that's all I'll tell you because you will need to read it for yourself. But I w ...more
Boozy
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, fiction
seriously one the greatest books I've ever read. When I look back at events in my life that shaped who I am today, reading this as a child was a defining moment. As I'm rereading this, Sam has been dusting himself off, reawakening from the recesses of my memory, intermixed with those memories are parts of my childhood, back when the world was a new exciting place, my parents were my heroes and they would right any wrong. Once I finish this, I know I will be reading it to my nephews and nieces, I ...more
Suzka
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, read-with-g
I want to live in a hollow hemlock tree! Would I want to wear rabbit fur underwear, though?

This was fun. G loved it. He loved Frightful, the hawk, and the whole notion of living in the wild.

The one piece I can't buy into is that Sam figures out you need 32 cups of maple sap to boil down to one cup of syrup. He doesn't have the capacity to reduce that much of any liquid in one of his leaf-saucepans. I AM A BUZZKILL, I REALIZE.
Shayne
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a great young boy/adventure book. I gave it four stars because at the end it was very abrupt. The last sentence was " And then it was the end." What.. you can't do that! But other than that is was very interesting to see the dynamics of the family and how they supported the boy in his adventure.
Alex Fargis
My favorite character in this book is the boy because of how well he thinks about things and lives on his own. I loved this book with all of the adventure incorporated with it. I think this book is kind of similar to the book "Hatchet" about a boy who lived in a forest in Alaska after a plane crash. I would recommend this book to adventurous and outdoorsy people.
Morgan Robinson
A littel boy is tired of his parent;s. So he goes to the wood's to live in a tree, He studies how to keep warm in the winter, and how to say cool in the summer, then he finds a falcon it get shot, he is sad, but it live's yay.
Scott
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-loved
Recently read these three books again for the first time since I was first introduced to them back in 3rd grade!!!!

Loved them just as much as I did when I first got hooked way back when I was a young boy! :)
Lydia
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book for those who are coming of age. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone but it gives great direction to anyone who is lost.
Gisselle Alfaro
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked the first one I want to see if the others are as good
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read this as a teenager and was fascinated with the idea of living alone in a hollow tree eating flat "bread" made from crushed nuts. I wanted to try it myself, but never did.
Christine Preece
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My Side of the Mountain is a story about a boy named Sam and his pet falcon, Frightful. Sam grows tired of city life and decides to venture out into the wild to live off of the land. This is a realistic fiction book that tells a story about danger, fear, and courage, all of which Sam documents in his journal. Only a few pages include illustrations that are sketches of Sam and Frightful.
Ruth Robare
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
My kids and I enjoyed this book. There was so much great information about surviving in the woods that we found very interesting.
Daniel Holsclaw
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
It is a good book
Linda M
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun story but I cannot imagine a child ever eating what this kid ate.
Julia
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best most detailed book I have ever read. This book is currently my favorite book
Patricia Kamm
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Scott
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Still a favorite!
  • Three Tales Of My Father's Dragon
  • Problems in Plymouth (Imagination Station, #6)
  • The Best of Nancy Drew Classic Collection
  • Black Beauty Storybook Edition
  • The Haymeadow
  • The Tripods Boxed Set of 4 (The Tripods, #1-4)
  • Death Trap (Robot Wars, #1)
  • Carlota
  • The Trolley Car Family
  • Diary of a Parent Trainer
  • The Key to the Indian
  • Welcome to Addy's World · 1864: Growing Up During America's Civil War (American Girls Collection)
  • Iron Thunder: The Battle Between the Monitor & the Merrimac
  • Pagoo
  • Outlaw Red
  • Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
  • Forlorn River
  • Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest, #1)
Jean Craighead George wrote over eighty popular books for young adults, including the Newbery Medal-winning Julie of the Wolves and the Newbery Honor book My Side of the Mountain. Most of her books deal with topics related to the environment and the natural world. While she mostly wrote children's fiction, she also wrote at least two guides to cooking with wild foods, and an autobiography, Journey ...more

Mountain (3 books)
  • My Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #1)
  • On the Far Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #2)
  • Frightful's Mountain (Mountain, #3)