Start by marking “Stories We Never Told” as Want to Read:
Stories We Never Told

Stories We Never Told

From the Amazon Charts and Washington Post bestselling author of True Places comes a suspenseful novel of love, secrets, and obsession.

Psychology professor Jackie Strelitz thought she was over her ex-lover and colleague, Harlan Crispin. Why should she care if Harlan springs a new “friend” on her? After all, Jackie has everything she ever wanted: a loving husband and a
Expected publication: May 1st 2020 by Lake Union

To ask other readers questions about Stories We Never Told, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stories We Never Told

Start your review of Stories We Never Told
Christine
Sonja Yoerg is one of my very favorite authors. I dive into her books now without even glancing at the blurb, as I know I will be entertained no matter what the subject. One of the more fun things for me is that I never know what Sonja is going to come up with next as all of her books are so different. I do know some things will be constant though. I can always count on wonderfully developed compelling characters, strong plot, and outstanding prose. Her books never languish on my TBR.

Stories We
Susan's Reviews
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Expect the unexpected: Stories We Never Told makes you question: who are we, really? The person we show the world, or the secret side of us that we keep hidden from the world, and sometimes even from ourselves. This is the ultimate theme of this novel.

Jackie, Miles, Harlan and Nasira display only a portion of their true selves to the world. The novel is told from all four characters' POV, which makes for interesting plot twists, although this novel is more focused on character growth and
Kimberly Belle
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stories We Never Told is a beautifully told story of love and obsession, a gradual unearthing of long-held secrets that can unravel even the happiest of marriages. Yoerg has a real talent for creating compelling and complex characters who wrestle with real-life situations, leaving the reader wondering who to root for until the very end. The perfect combination of gorgeous prose and slow-burn suspense. Yoerg should be on every reader’s radar.
Jessica Strawser
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s a rare psychological thriller that shows both the dark depths our obsessions can lead to and the unlikely breakthroughs that can let the light in. Sonja Yoerg’s STORIES WE NEVER TOLD does just that, deftly introducing a brilliant cast of characters for whom detachment and intimacy can be equally terrifying. A taut, clever, and satisfying read.
Donna Hines
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Obsession, Jealousy, Murder! All is fair in love and war or is it?
Here we have a young professor Jackie who seemingly has it all. A perfect marriage, a great career, and an obsession with her former lover Harlan.
Wait! Hold up! What?
Harlan is quite the catch and he just procured a new target with Nasira Amari who perhaps is running from her own internal wounds.
Of course the past is never left in the past and curiosity leads to obsession and darn it stalking in my viewpoint.
A woman has needs and
Sandy
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A clever look at how people are not always who they seem. What secrets are they hiding; could those secrets hurt us. Who can we really trust and do we really know those closest to us. Thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for the good psychological thriller.
Holly Robinson
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an advance review of Stories We Never Told. Initially I thought, oh, this can never be as good as Yoerg's last novel, because I adored True Places so much, and domestic thrillers are so often the same--fun candy, but not always memorable. But Yoerg had delivered yet another book that is nearly impossible to put down--I read it until my eyes felt like somebody had tossed sand in them because I couldn't stop reading the night I started it. The thing that sets this ...more
Jill Anderson
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this great, suspense thriller!
Jackie is a smart, spunky, determined woman who can't help herself from semi-stalking her ex-long-term boyfriend and his new girlfriend.
Harlan, her educated, regimented, in-control ex becomes an obsession for Jackie - who is married to Miles, a man who puts far more time and effort into his work than he does his marriage.
What plays out is a layered story of secrets and what drives people to act the way they do. Jackie is
Carla Suto
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
STORIES WE NEVER TOLD by Sonja Yoerg is a riveting novel of domestic suspense that kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. It is a story of love, obsession and manipulation with lots of twists and turns that had me guessing who to believe. Jackie Strelitz is a sharp and successful Psychology professor with a promising future. She is certain she has put her five-year relationship with her colleague, Harlan Crispin behind her and is now married to Miles, a man who is loving even ...more
Heather Webb
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yoerg continues to be one of my favorite authors and this book is the perfect example of why. She manages to take a "normal" scenario that's relatable in some capacity, and go deeper, find what's hidden below the surface and amplify it in a meaningful--and gripping--way. In STORIES WE NEVER TOLD, Jackie, Harlan, and Miles are a complex cast of characters, each with a secret, each with a bit of naughty behavior I found not only intriguing but great fun to read. In true Yoerg style, the story ...more
Jaymi Couch
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-authors
I think this is my favorite yet from the extremely talented Sonja Yoerg! She writes with precision and intelligence and her words build the drama beautifully. The pacing is steady and the story had me completely engrossed.

At first it's a story of a woman who becomes obsessed with her ex and his new relationship with a much younger woman. She's happily married and why should she care who he dates?

To be continued....
Laurie Gauthier fulwood
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another page turner from Sonja! The story is carefully laid out and I thought I knew how it would end, but should have known better! An amazing read!

Sonja’s characters become my friends, my enemies, and my heroes. Cannot wait for the next one!
Bonnie Franks
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant. Just brilliant. I met the characters, thought I knew them. Had them all figured out. I liked some, couldn't quite get a handle on some, worried about some. In other words, from the beginning, I was all in.

The story line is awesome; flowing, building. The culmination will knock your socks off.

That is all. Read it, read it, read it!

Thank you to NetGalley.com and the publisher for my copy.
Nita
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sonja Yoerg has out done herself with this creepy twisty thriller! This story is well paced with a character who manipulates and tried to control all around him. I love the character development of each character and there is enough edginess to keep me on the edge of my seat not putting the book down until the last page! Absolutely a must read!
Amy Impellizzeri
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sinister page-turner!
In Jackie, Harlan & Miles, Sonja Yoerg has created a triangle of characters that are surprising and compelling. A cautionary tale about trusting - and mistrusting - the wrong people altogether.
Neerja
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I received a copy of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review. It is an adult psychological thriller which revolves around the story of our protagonist, Jackie. She is a professor of psychology, has a husband named Miles who adores her and an ex boyfriend who is a friend now with her as well as her husband. Her life is great and wonderful but then Harlan, her ex boyfriend brings Nasira, her post doc to their dinner. That's when the real problem starts because now ...more
Claire Herbaux
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If anyone still thinks of “women’s literature” as beach reads and romance novels, show them this.
Sonja Yoerg’s latest psychological thriller “Stories we never told” will challenge that perception from the very start.
Within a few pages, you are pulled into what seems like a narrative of a married woman being jealous of her ex… and turns out to be a story of obsession and buried secrets.
“If you could get back at someone who wronged you—and get away with it—wouldn’t you jump at the chance?”

Carol Boyer
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sonja Yoerg is one of those authors who makes me yearn for her next book. I recently read True Places and although Stories We Never Told is quite different, this book evokes the same deep emotions. I love the way Sonja develops her characters. In this book she shares her brilliant insight into the way they really are; they evolve slowly but something new is revealed at each turn of the chapters. This is a psychological thriller about deep secrets, love, losses, and real fears. Jackie is a ...more
Susan Gromis
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sonja Yoerg has penned a gripping suspense novel of how our perceptions and experiences affect our expectations, and how our rationalization can lead us in unexpected or dangerous ways.
Jackie is an autism researcher, married to Miles, a sports recruiter. Each of them has secret back stories which are revealed during the course of the novel. Past relationships play a large part in the storyline, through the introduction of new acquaintances. When Jackie’s research results are tampered with, the
Barbara
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this was a real page turner, an excellent domestic thriller in the vein of Behind Closed Doors by BA Paris. I completed it in one weekend! Professor Jackie Strelitz and her ex-boyfriend, Harlan Crispin both work at the same university in the same department. Jackie has moved on, so she thinks, and married a loving man and they are enjoying their new domestic life. Little by little Jackie finds things in her life off kilter. She starts to doubt herself and those around her. With each new ...more
Anne Clermont
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sonja Yoerg's STORIES WE NEVER TOLD is a wonderfully written, page-turning, character-driven book that I had a hard time putting down. The author immerses us in the world of behavioral and psychological research, where it is obvious Ms. Yoerg has spent quite a bit of time researching psychology herself, to get her characters spot on. Superbly written with plenty of twists to keep you guessing as to what's going to happen, you are bound to love this one. Pick up your copy and then thank me later!
Christine Moore
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jackie has been over her ex-boyfriend Harlan and has even married. But when Harlan has a new girlfriend Jackie can't help but be curious and starts to be a stalker with everything to do with the couple. When Jackie starts having issues in her life, she has to figure out who she can trust. This was a great thriller that takes the reader on a wild ride. I received an advanced readers copy and all opinions are my own.
Samantha Bailey
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
STORIES WE NEVER TOLD is a superb, slow-burn suspense that brilliantly ratchets up the tension and character development notch by notch, layer by layer, culminating in a chilling, emotional ending. Sonja Yoerg is a master at creating characters you fall into, and her writing is stunning. A must read!
Amy
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Stories We Never Told, Sonja Yoerg deftly weaves an extraordinary tale replete with psychological tension, carefully constructed details, familiar situations, and relatable characters. With her signature eloquence, Yoerg leads us on an intimate journey with some of our most rational fears. I read the book in one day, not because I had the time, but because I had no choice.
Alesia
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every time I read a book of Sonja Yoerg’s, it quickly becomes my favorite Sonja Yoerg book! This one threw me off (in the best way possible). It was different from her other books I’ve read and it was such a great surprise. Stories We Never Told is a suspenseful, sexy, never-wanna-put-it-down type of read. I’m so excited to see what Yoerg has in store for us readers next!
Tarrah Marie (Wayward Readers)
Sonja Yoerg astutely sets the stage for this novel from the very first page with a cast of characters that the reader will love to hate. Everyone has a secret and each is more surprising than the next. The narrative proclaims a dark, seedy feel that leads the reader through a tension filled story line. Yoerg's character development is brilliant and the plot twist is wonderfully devious. A must read.

Thank you to #NetGalley and @LakeUnionPublishing for this ARC. #StoriesWeNeverTold was read and
Betty Hutchinson
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend The Stories We Never Told to everyone looking for an engaging suspense book that is filled with strong, memorable characters. Sonja's clever look at how people are not always who they seem creates a story that keeps you turning the pages. What secrets are they hiding and could those secrets hurt us? Who can we really trust and do we really know those people closest to us that we love? This is a psychological thriller about deep secrets, real fear, love, and losses. Jackie is a ...more
Julie Porter
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers: Of the psychological manipulation tricks a person can play, one of the most frightening is probably gaslighting. The abuser does various things with the intent to drive the other person insane.

The term comes from the 1944 film Gaslight in which a wealthy man (Charles Boyer) manipulates his young wife (Ingrid Bergman) to the point of insanity.

The abuser will steal a small item and make the other person think they misplaced it or someone else stole it. They may deny a certain event,
Marleen
E-ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is just one of those books that is either your cup of tea or it isn't.

I really liked the concept of the story - the prompt is what drew me to this book - but (in my humble opinion) it wasn't executed well enough. It did very much touch subjects in the field of psychology, but I felt it barely scratched the surface, which is a shame.

At the very beginning, the writing style seemed very messy to me. But later I noticed that had to
Maryann
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the first half of the book, this is a slow-moving tale of obsession, love, secrets, and the lies we tell ourselves as the author sets up the characters. They are all keenly developed and slowly became more likable for me as the story progressed. I did find the friendship between Harlan, the ex, and Miles, the husband a bit odd, but later it became clear why that story element needed to be there.

The reader gets glimpses into the inner workings of academia, which is a culture unto itself, as

• Big Lies in a Small Town
  • The Better Liar
  • The Patient
  • The Other People
  • Stay
  • Wildflower Christmas (The Wildflower House #3)
  • He Started It
  • Problem Child (Jane Doe, #2)
I grew up in Stowe, Vermont, the daughter of a ski instructor. In my first incarnation, I was a animal behaviorist who studied learning in blue jays, hyenas and kangaroo rats. I wrote a book about that. Now I make stuff up.

I've published four novels; the most recent is TRUE PLACES, a Washington Post and Amazon Charts bestseller. Yeah, typing that makes me smile because reaching readers is the