Start by marking “Stories We Never Told” as Want to Read:
Stories We Never Told

Stories We Never Told

Psychology professor Jackie Strelitz thought she was over her ex-lover and colleague, Harlan Crispin. Why should she care if Harlan springs a new “friend” on her? After all, Jackie has everything she ever wanted: a loving husband and a thriving career. Still, she can’t help but be curious about Harlan’s latest.

Nasira Amari is graceful, smart, and young. Worse, she’s the n
Published May 1st 2020 by Lake Union

To ask other readers questions about Stories We Never Told, please sign up.

Start your review of Stories We Never Told
Christine
Sonja Yoerg is one of my very favorite authors. I dive into her books now without even glancing at the blurb, as I know I will be entertained no matter what the subject. One of the more fun things for me is that I never know what Sonja is going to come up with next as all of her books are so different. I do know some things will be constant though. I can always count on wonderfully developed compelling characters, strong plot, and outstanding prose. Her books never languish on my TBR.

Stories We
Kaceey
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
2.5*
Ooh, I’m not sure what to say here.

The premise was intriguing. Jackie is a psychology professor who isn’t quite over her ex-lover... he also happens to be her colleague. Awkward! When he invites a ‘friend’ to dinner, Jackie is far from prepared over this little surprise, questioning whether she’s ready to share her ex with anyone!

Again, provocative premise but never delivered. This was my first read by this author, but the writing seemed to lose direction. No surprises, and by the end it j
Bridgett
Apr 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, kindle-first

Stories We Never Told was my first Sonja Yoerg novel, and for the most part, I was pleased with my Amazon First selection. The writing was compelling (I read most of the book yesterday afternoon), the characters came to life and jumped right off the pages, and the story was quite unlike anything I've read before.

So, why the 3.5 star rating, Bridgett?

The answer is this...Amazon listed this as contemporary fiction, but what I actually read was more a thriller/suspense. I was not expectin
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Just dinner.

The innocence of the phrase is deceptive, as deceptive as the dinner itself would turn out to be, as Jackie would discover ninety eight days later. Dinner with friends, a table for four. Dinner with people she thought she knew and loved. As it turns out, no one is who she believed they were, least of all herself. So much secrecy, and in its service, so many lies.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: Psychology professor Jackie Strelitz thought she was over her ex-lover and colleague, Harlan Cr
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Stories We Never Told is also emotional and well-told with a mystery thriller at its heart. Jackie is a psychology professor trying to move past her former lover and co-worker, Harlan, who has a new love. This new love works closely with Jackie on her research team.

Jackie’s previous relationship with Harlan had been limited by him, but with his one, he’s truly opening up. This causes Jackie to become all the more obsessed, and that obsession drives this book!

Stories We Never Told is intense, riv
Jayme
3.5

Now I understand the mixed reviews!

The things said about this book from those who rated this 5 stars are true.
But, so are the things mentioned in the 3 star reviews!!

The book begins with a Psychology Professor who studies Autism-
Jackie Strelitz and her husband, Miles, joining her colleague, and former lover, Harlan Crispin, for dinner.

It should’ve been a pleasant evening out..filled with flowing cocktails, delicious food, and enjoyable conversation.

But, Harlan has brought a “friend”.

And,
Lisa
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An inventive, intriguing and intense domestic thriller full of obsession and jealously.

SUMMARY
Psychology professor Jackie Strelitz thinks she’s over Harlan Crispin, her ex-lover and colleague. Why should she care if Harlan brings a new “friend“ to dinner? After all Jackie has everything she ever wanted, a loving husband and a thriving career. But she can’t help but be curious about Harlen’s latest girlfriend.

Nasira Amari is graceful, smart, and young. Worse, she is the newest member of Jackie’s
Susanne  Strong
Jun 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
What happens when you Never get over your Ex? Obsession, that’s what!

“Stories We Never Told” is a wild tale of jealousy and obsession that runs amok for Psychology Professor Jackie Strelitz. Married to Miles for the last two years, she thought she was over her ex-boyfriend Harlan Crispin. That is until they meet him for dinner and he invites his new girlfriend, Nasira, who just happens to be Jackie’s PostDoc.

Jackie is raging with jealousy, which surprises and vexes her, yet she can’t stop hers
Linda
Life is very complicated. Don't try to find answers. Because when you find answers, Life changes the questions.

Sonja Yoerg always serves up storylines that circle around characters and situations with multiple layers and with multiple sharp edges. Stories We Never Told does just that. Yoerg knows full-out what lies beneath the surface of day-by-day living. It's not always what it appears to be. She can spin a mundane existence on its head in nano seconds. Let's crack the door on this one.

Jackie
Denise
May 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I would have liked this book more, but I have to admit, it was a struggle for me to get through. Many of my GR friends really enjoyed it though, so this may totally be a case of "it's not you, it's me," but there was just something missing for me.

This was my first introduction to Sonja Yoerg, and I did very much enjoy her writing style, as she crafts a detailed story, with copious facts; however, as rich as the book is in details and facts, it is lacking in storyline and characters. The b
Katie B

I thought this book had a good premise but ended up being a bit of a disappointing read. If the story lost most of the thriller elements, I maybe would have liked it more. It also didn't help that the main character just didn't do much for me. There are quite a few good reviews for this book though, so as always take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Jackie Strelitz has been married for a few years now to a man named Miles. Harlan Crispin is her ex-lover and colleague. It might sound unu
Susan's Reviews
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Expect the unexpected: Stories We Never Told makes you question: who are we, really? The person we show the world, or the secret side of us that we keep hidden from the world, and sometimes even from ourselves. This is the ultimate theme of this novel.

Jackie, Miles, Harlan and Nasira display only a portion of their true selves to the world. The novel is told from all four characters' POV, which makes for interesting plot twists, although this novel is more focused on character growth and develop
Kimberly Belle
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stories We Never Told is a beautifully told story of love and obsession, a gradual unearthing of long-held secrets that can unravel even the happiest of marriages. Yoerg has a real talent for creating compelling and complex characters who wrestle with real-life situations, leaving the reader wondering who to root for until the very end. The perfect combination of gorgeous prose and slow-burn suspense. Yoerg should be on every reader’s radar.
Zoe
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Multilayered, tense, and guileful!

Stories We Never Told is a meticulous, chilling, domestic thriller that takes us into the life of Jackie Strelitz, an accomplished, intelligent woman who finds her life turned upside down when her ex-lover returns from a sabbatical with a new, younger girlfriend, her husband becomes more distant and her desire for a baby appears entirely one-sided, and someone suddenly seems extremely intent and determined to undermine and interfere with her research project at
Meg Lelvis
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
I'm afraid I could not finish this book. The summary sounded interesting, but the protagonist, Jackie, displayed the maturity of a high school girl who can't let her ex-boyfriend find a new girlfriend. I am interested and very familiar with the field of psychology, and the idea that this obsessive, adolescent woman was a psychologist doing post doctoral work was totally off the rails. The writing style was smooth, but I just couldn't buy nor tolerate the Jackie character. Her behavior read like ...more
San
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's one of the best domestic thrillers I have read lately. I just couldn't put it down and stayed up late so I could finish it.
Jackie is a successful psychologist. She is married to Miles, a sports recruiter but she is still obsessed and jealous about her ex boyfriend Harlan and his new relationship with Nasira, her post doc.
But soon while being their stalker Jackie finds out some secrets and she starts to doubt herself and everyone around her.
I enjoyed the story during whole book. Each charac
Jessica Strawser
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s a rare psychological thriller that shows both the dark depths our obsessions can lead to and the unlikely breakthroughs that can let the light in. Sonja Yoerg’s STORIES WE NEVER TOLD does just that, deftly introducing a brilliant cast of characters for whom detachment and intimacy can be equally terrifying. A taut, clever, and satisfying read.
Judy D Collins
Master storyteller, Sonja Yoerg returns following (2019) True Places with her latest STORIES WE NEVER TOLD. Perfectly paced and brilliantly crafted a compulsively readable and deeply satisfying psychological suspense thriller! I LOVED THIS BOOK!

Be prepared to be “wowed” and blindsided. Unpredictable, chilling, EXPLOSIVE! I read this one in one sitting. Nothing could distract me from this book! Top Books of 2020.

Trust me, you will be enthralled. You will not be able to stop turning the pa
Courtney
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Maybe 2.5?
I speed read thru the first 25%. Then at 60% I was intrigued. Jackie, main character, was really stupid to be supposedly such a smart doctor of psychology. Just not believable.
Way too much going on in this book. No real reason why Nasira’s Syrian refugee story was told - did not add anything. Her husband seems like an after thought. Perfect sister. The writing was not graceful.
I started the book expecting a secret and a plot twist.
I got predictable and lame.
It may be a good book to
Mary Ann
May 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
Another disappointing Kindle First Read. The synopsis sounded promising; I anticipated a credible plot with unexpected twists, and the first third of the book wasn't too bad in terms of its character exposition. It went downhill from there. Protagonist Jackie is almost unbelievably immature for a thirty-eight year old professor of psychology researching childhood autism. Her understanding of and insight into the relationships in her personal life and work environment is hopelessly adolescent. Th ...more
Kelly Harms
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This one was so involving, smart, well plotted, but also, a gentle comeuppance to anyone who might succumb to the notion that we can ever know others better than they even know themselves. I kept pushing myself to read faster, faster, because it’s so psychologically suspenseful, and you get VERY involved. But speed reading never works when you’re also loving the book on a sentence level, so basically imagine me staying up late and cursing the author for making the book impossible to put down but ...more
Brianas_best_reads
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
✨Review✨

Thank you so much Amazon Publishing and Lake Union for the free ARC of “Stories We Never Told” to review. This book released at the start of the month so you can grab a copy now!

I really enjoyed this book! The story follows a psychology professor named Jackie who thinks she is over her ex-lover Harlan. She’s married now, but seeing Harlan with another woman sparks a curiosity that quickly turns into an obsession. However as we come to find out, Jackie may not be the only one obsessed.

I
Donna Hines
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Obsession, Jealousy, Murder! All is fair in love and war or is it?
Here we have a young professor Jackie who seemingly has it all. A perfect marriage, a great career, and an obsession with her former lover Harlan.
Wait! Hold up! What?
Harlan is quite the catch and he just procured a new target with Nasira Amari who perhaps is running from her own internal wounds.
Of course the past is never left in the past and curiosity leads to obsession and darn it stalking in my viewpoint.
A woman has needs and
Kate Moretti
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sonja Yoerg is the most astute, underrated author on the market. Her observations about life, love, and family hit home and have literally stopped me in my tracks. With STORIES WE NEVER TOLD, Sonja ventures into the suspense realm and boy does she deliver. With her exacting prose, she gives us a story about first and last loves, obsession, jealousy and being truthful about who you are, not only to those you hold dear, but to yourself. All the while she includes the inner-workings of academia and ...more
Booksandchinooks (Laurie)
This is my third book by this author and I keep liking each one more than the last. Her books are all very different from each other so you are never sure what sort of story will be told. This book revolves around four main characters, Jackie, Miles, Nasira, amd Harlan. Jackie and Harlan are esteemed university professors and have a romantic past with each other. Jackie is now happily married to Miles. Nasira comes to work under Jackie and also starts a relationship with Harlan. Jackie becomes a ...more
Annie
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love when I find a new author that I really like. Although the blurb sounded interesting, there is a lot more to this than I thought there would be. Jackie, a seemingly happily married psychology professor, starts obsessing about her ex-lover and colleague, Harlan, and his new girlfriend, who also happens to work under Jackie. That is just the tip of the iceberg. There are secrets that are revealed involving Jackie and her husband, her ex Harlan and his new girlfriend. The things that are reve ...more
Emily
Apr 04, 2020 marked it as dnf
I'm setting this one aside for now. I've read a little over 100 pages, and am having a hard time getting into it. I think it's going to be perfect for a reader who enjoys slow burn suspense stories, but I'm not there right now. The writing is good, and the plot was interesting overall, but I need something that can hold my focus right now. ...more
B.A. Wilson
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was intense and captivating. Every time I picked it up, I was sucked back into the world and the complex psychology of these characters. If I had any nails left, in the midst of this pandemic, I would have bitten them all off while reading this one. It’s both absolutely relatable, and also occasionally horrifying.

A lot of time when I’m reading a thriller, I just think, “Really? Come on, now!” But that never happened with this story, because despite some of the unsettling events and moments
Nicola Ray
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a thriller which really lacks suspense. I found the story engaging but could guess the denouement early in the novel. I also found it difficult to invest in any of the characters and didn't care what happened to them. However it is an interesting and pacy read so I was happy to read this as my Amazon First. ...more
Carla Suto
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
STORIES WE NEVER TOLD by Sonja Yoerg is a riveting novel of domestic suspense that kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. It is a story of love, obsession and manipulation with lots of twists and turns that had me guessing who to believe. Jackie Strelitz is a sharp and successful Psychology professor with a promising future. She is certain she has put her five-year relationship with her colleague, Harlan Crispin behind her and is now married to Miles, a man who is loving even thou ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page count ASIN B07ZWKGTWL 2 13 May 29, 2020 06:30AM

• All About Evie
  • Behind Every Lie
  • The Man She Married
  • Finding Tomorrow (Bluebird Bay #1)
  • Recipe for a Perfect Wife
  • Things in Jars
  • Hurry Home
  • The Other People
  • Oona Out of Order
  • The Wicked Redhead (Wicked City, #2)
  • The Family Upstairs
I grew up in Stowe, Vermont, the daughter of a ski instructor and a history teacher. In my first incarnation, I was a animal behaviorist who studied learning in blue jays, hyenas and kangaroo rats. I wrote a book about that. Now I make stuff up.

I've published several novels, including TRUE PLACES, a Washington Post and Amazon Charts bestseller. Yeah, typing that makes me smile because reaching rea