Start by marking “Schmuck the Buck: Santa's Jewish Reindeer” as Want to Read:
Schmuck the Buck: Santa's Jewish Reindeer

Schmuck the Buck: Santa's Jewish Reindeer

Larry was just your regular caribou, who was cruelly excluded from his crew. He and his kin happened to be the sole Jewish reindeer in the North Pole. Larry was bullied and treated the worst way, until his plan saved one Christmas Day.

A contemporary satirical take on Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Schmuck the Buck introduces Larry, a young Jewish reindeer. He overcomes hi
Published September 1st 2018 by Exo Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Schmuck the Buck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Schmuck the Buck

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Schmuck the Buck is a beautifully and colorfully illustrated satire of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

Larry is this special reindeer’s real name, and Schmuck is a nickname. He is a Jewish reindeer and bullied for being different (and rare- his family comprises the only Jewish reindeer at the North Pole).

Like Rudolph, Larry earns acceptance when he saves Christmas. This is a fun, quick read about fitting in, geared towards adults because it’s a satire.

Thanks to the author for the complimentary
Tori (InToriLex)
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-request

Content Warning: Delicious Grass Entrees and Overworked Elves

Larry is a memorable caribou who celebrates his beliefs while appreciating others. I was pleasantly surprised how relate-able this tale is for adults and children. He try's hard to fit in while in school and as an adult seeks out ways to discover what he has a passion for. Since Larry is Jewish part of the book details his families Hanukkah celebration at home. The artwork was vivid and included wonderful details to enjoy on your se
Shalini
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
It has been so long since I read an illustrated book. So when I got the opportunity to read one, I grabbed it at once. And I have to admit it was a fun read!

Larry was a nerdy caribou in school who got bullied and teased and was given the name Schmuck. He realized studies is the only way to get ahead in life, and he excelled in his courses. Then he got the best job in the world. He worked for SANTA!! Woohoo!! A snafu at work and there is a major crisis on Christmas Eve... Till... Ah you've got to
Briar's Reviews
Schmuck the Buck is yet another hit by EXO Books!

Recently, I've been on a picture books/children's books binge so of course I would be interested in another goofy, picture book full of Christmas mischief!

This book felt like my inner sarcastic child's dream of a Christmas story. Forget the main reindeer team! Those losers aren't as school as Santa's Jewish reindeer, Schmuck the Buck! His real name is Larry, but we call him Schmuck. Because, let's be honest, those nasty reindeer who called Rudolph
Brandon
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Schmuck The Buck tells the story of a Jewish reindeer who lives at the North Pole. Larry, or Schmuck The Buck as he’s nicknamed, is bullied and shamed because he doesn’t fit the mold. Sound familiar? Like his red-nosed predecessor, Larry struggles to find his own way in a world where he feels like he doesn’t belong.

I received a free copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I’m not one to normally read this type of book, but when the author reached out to me, it sounded interesting e
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book from the author. This has not influenced my review.*

Ok, here are all the reasons I loved this strange, little comic/picture book (and all the reasons you should read it):

- The art was colorful, detailed, and full of life. It was perfect for this whimsical comic about reindeer.

- Sometimes there were these great, and hilarious, details in the background, like the "grass pyramid" poster in the cafeteria.

- The reindeer wore ornaments hanging from their
Sherry Fundin
You've heard of Rudolph,well here comes Schumck, in a cute illustrated story written in poetry and if you do love rooting for the underdog, like I do, Exo Books has done a great job creating a twist on an oft told tale.

See more at fundinmental
Brittany
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Stunningly illustrated with gorgeous holiday overtones. I was blown away by how beautiful this Christmas graphic novel is. The humor is highly appreciated and distributed throughout.

Rhyming/poetry was super crafty.
The dialogue in the illustrations was very hip and modern- like the way people talk today. The whole story was very modernized, that being said, this is NOT a book for children. This is a book for YA or adults. (I don't think you want to explain what the word 'pimp daddy' is to your ch
Lauren Stoolfire
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Schmuck the Buck: Santa's Jewish Reindeer is the newest release by EXO Books.  It's a 60 page holiday book that is illustrated by Karina Shor.  It's a modern and refreshing take on the classic R
❤ Anj | ★☆ Hiding Behind Books Blog ☆★
RATING: 5 STARS

So y’all better hold onto your seats because I am about to drop the coolest illustrated book I have ever read.. everyone meet Larry ‘Schmuck’ the Buck!!

All goofing aside, I’ll be honest when I say I have never reviewed an illustrated book before, especially one that’s dedicated to Christmas. And so I have to thank the wonderful author of this book, EXO for graciously sending me an e-ARC.

Now, I’ve never been the kind of person who liked illustrated books even as a kid. But I gott
Lana
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun comic-style Christmas satire about a young reindeer named Buck at the North Pole. He’s always picked on in school and gets the nickname Schmuck. When things go wrong for Santa, it’s Buck’s idea that saves the day and makes all the reindeer envious.
This comic has cute illustrations, it’s a very quick read and suitable for adults due to the humor.
Thank you to EXO Books for this ARC, my opinions are my own.
Lisa
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Schmuck the Buck was bullied in Junior High, (his name is Larry, but the nickname stuck). Living at the North Pole he is employed by Santa’s Workshop. One year Santa's deliveries don't include any batteries, and Schmuck knows just what to do!

Too irreverent for children, the illustrations are bawdy and the text is designed for an adult reader, this isn’t a children’s book. Perhaps a Hanukkah gift for someone?
Cynthia Varady
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Fun Frolicking Adult Holiday Picture Book

Schmuck the Buck, written by Exo Books and illustrated by Karina Shor (both pen names) is a satirical adult holiday story about a Jewish reindeer, Larry, who saves Christmas with his tech-savvy thinking.

At first, as I read through Schmuck, I wondered who would read this and how many times could them be expected to crack its cover? With kids books, the re-read value is a gold mine. All kids latch onto a favorite book for a time, forcing parents and careg
David Baird
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
EXO Books is the pen name and publishing company of a writer who is known to me to offer brilliant work that is something a little different from the norm.

Schmuck the Buck (or Larry, his given name) is a illustrated satirical take on Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and looks at issues like bullying.

Schmuck isn't made to feel welcome by the other reindeer, it's been that way all his life. When he save Christmas things change. The humour really comes through when you read about disaster that could
Kathy Davie
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, satire
A satirical adult picture book about a Jewish reindeer who is picked on just as Rudolph was back in the day.

This eARC was sent to me by EXO Books LLC for an honest review.

My Take
I love it! Sure the older kids will probably enjoy it too, but I suspect the adults will get more of a kick out of the more adult-oriented humor. EXO certainly does put some spin on this tale, for not only is the hero reindeer Jewish, but Santa and Mrs Claus, the very hot looking Mrs Claus, are Black.

The rhyming pattern
Elizabeth McLennan
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy
I really enjoyed this book!!! Check out my blog for more!

allieereads
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Schmuck the Buck is a story of the trials and tribulations of Santa's only Jewish reindeer, Schmuck. Larry the Buck was down on his luck (see what I did there) and he was bullied by older reindeers in high school, who kept calling him Schmuck the Buck. I adore Larry, his character is hardworking with a heart of gold. He realised how cruel his world was, and did his best to find his place amongst the bedlam. What occurs is Schmuck saving the Christmas and earning the respect of his peers, and of ...more
lostinabookbrb
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Was given this book by the author for an honest review!

Okay. Let’s be real here. Who doesn’t like funny picture books with rhymes? I mean, really?

Larry is a Jewish reindeer who works at the North Pole. That sentence alone just caused me to sit back and rub my eyes to make sure it was correct. It’s an odd premise, at least, it was odd to me because I’m not used to thinking about it. However, while reading this book, it worked. I liked that there’s this reindeer that works for Santa who is Jewish
Colin Garrow
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A new take on the Rudolph-the-red-nosed-reindeer story, featuring Larry the Jewish caribou, who gets bullied at school. Treated badly by pretty much everyone, he nevertheless saves the day in time for Christmas with a shrewdly sent message.

Written by someone called Exo Books, this is both a curious and charming little tome with a decidedly festive mood. Using language that’ll entertain adults it should appeal to children too, although smaller kids won’t get the humour. This did make me wonder e
Thingsinherhead
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the story and the rhyme!! I love the rhymes!! I love how witty the story was delivered and it is really funny. The graphic is also great, not too cartoony and not too rough just in the middle of both. Indeed, it is a story that can make you laugh and learn at the same time.

Read my full review here -> https://ayammazing.wordpress.com/2018...
Mike
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read with great illustrations. I read this book with my 8 and 5 year olds and there was as much for them as their was for me. A hilarious take on an old story. Will look for more from this author
Carmen
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the wonderful illustrations in this short book; and by the end of it, I was really wanting to get to know Larry more - so I hope that there will be more stories of him in the future. Those who enjoy humor with a holiday spirit will like this one. I got a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Karen Cole
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't usually read illustrated books but how could I resist a seasonal story about a Jewish reindeer who works for Santa at the North Pole?! Like Rudolph before him, young Larry is bullied by his reindeer peers who nickname him Schmuck but he isn't in possession of a glowing red nose to help guide Santa's sleigh so will he be able to save Christmas?
The suggestion that Santa's workshop is more like a sweatshop than the jolly, magical place we think we know should indicate that although this is
Beth Roper
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of Schmuck the Buck: Santa’s Jewish Reindeer in return for an honest review, with the promise that it would be an easy read of 60 beautifully illustrated pages of satire. After a significant period of procrastination (lets blame that on the weather!), I sat down on a cold morning – in my slippers, in front of the fire, with my cat and a hot coffee – and dug in. However, within minutes, my coffee was all over the floor and I was laughing my head off!

I can’t remember the last tim
emmabbooks
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated Christmas satire

Larry (the reindeer) had a bad time at school being bullied, and gaining the nickname Schmuck. Jobs are scarce in the North Pole, so he ends up working for Santa, and things are not going great, until ...

This is an adult satire illustrated book. Rhymes, telling Schmuck's story, are set into full page illustrations. These illustrations are absolutely wonderful - look out for Grandpa! This is a book that gets better and better with each reading, as each time
Sharone
Nov 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Schmuck. The Buck. The dorky Jewish reindeer named after a foreskin. Seriously?
Carol Evans

I'm not quite sure who the audience is for Schmuck the Buck. It seems like a children's Christmas book. We have a cute rhyming text and bright colorful illustrations. We have the underdog (or under-reindeer) who saves the day. There's even a lesson:

Schmuck said, "We have our differences, that's for sure,
But we're all the same at the core.
Christmas isn't just about gifts, but the love underneath,
So it really doesn't matter your religious belief.
We give because we care, we love, and want to please
Christine,
3.5 Stars: Schmuck grew up like any normal geeky teenager. Shy and non-athletic tweens don’t fare well in the locker room. The jocks are douche bags with mean nicknames. Not to mention that you have to start preparing for the future in a world with limited positions. Hunger Games-style, the odds aren’t ever really in your favor being Jewish at the North Pole. Instead of beating down other teenagers, though, your managerial job will take care of that for you.

Working in Santa’s toy factory, couSWE
Kaleena ★ Reader Voracious
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-arc
"Christmas isn't just about gifts, but the love underneath,
So it really doesn't matter your religious belief.
We give because we care, we love, and we want to please,
So there's room for every one of us under our Christmas trees."
Schmuck the Buck: Santa's Jewish Reindeer is a beautifully illustrated book and a more inclusive take at the traditional story of Rudolph. I don't read many illustrated books these days which honestly is a shame! I was instantly blown away by the artwork and really en
Bookbugworld
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it

A Christmas illustration for adults.

Check out the review of the book in my blog : https://bookbugworld.com/review/schmu...
EXO Books is the pen name and publishing company of a science fiction writer. He is a man from NYC, USA, Earth. Find out more at https://www.exobooks.com/