Start by marking “Milady” as Want to Read:
Milady

Milady

She was the greatest nemesis of d'Artagnan and the Three Musketeers--but Milady de Winter was so much more than just a villain in their swashbuckling adventures.

I've gone by many names though you know me as Milady de Winter: Villainess, seductress, a secondary player in The Three Musketeers story.

But we all know history was written by men, and they so often get things wron
Published July 2nd 2019 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Milady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Milady

Start your review of Milady
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
”We all know history was written by men, and they so often get things wrong.”

I always love a good reversal of classic stories, where the villain becomes the central character, and the hero's faults are exposed. A story that makes you think about why the villain acted the way they did. Maybe not forgiving them, but sympathizing.

In Laura L Sullivan’s Milady, we see the story of Clarice (aka Milady de Winter), a spy, villainess, and antagonist of the classic book, The Three Musketeers. I have
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Have you ever heard of Milady de Winter? She was the arch nemesis of the fictional Three Musketeers. She was a villain in their eyes and the eyes of many at the time. This is her story as she tells it.

Milady’s story starts simply, a child born and raised in the countryside. Then, it becomes a story of love and betrayal, loss and retribution, with a phenom of a strong female main character.

Milady reads as an adventure story. The culture and time period fly off the pages. Having read The Three M
Amanda
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas is one of my favorite books of all time. In fact, my next tattoo is going to be inspired by it. So when I saw Milady by Laura L. Sullivan I just knew I had to add it to my shelf. If you are a fan of The Three Musketeers then you know the villainess Milady de Winter. This book follows two timelines. The first is Clarice as a young woman before she became Milady. Her mother raises her on a farm. She teaches her about plants and their medicinal properties and ...more
Amy Bruno
"In the tide of great affairs, it is not the many who make the crucial choices, but the individual. Mobs do not decide the fate of the world, or even armies. It is always one man - or woman - often unknown to history, working in secret, dedicated to a greater good, who shifts the tides."

How amazing is that sentence? I swear I could have highlighted about 3/4 of this book, it is filled with so many great lines!

I've got one word for this book and for Milady....badass!

I was immediately charmed by
Erin
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Find this and other reviews at: https://historicalfictionreader.blogs...

I wanted to love Laura L. Sullivan’s Milady, but despite its promising premise, the novel proved a poor fit for my tastes. I’m thoroughly convinced there are many who will genuinely love this narrative, but the book struck an awkward chord with me and I found it difficult to lose myself in its pages.

Milady de Winter is one of my favorite literary antagonists and I feel her story is long overdue a standalone adaptation of its
Tori
4.5

Heather Webb
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There’s nothing more satisfying than a riveting tale with a swash-buckling, cunning female spy at its center. MILADY is a worthy addition to the canon of THE THREE MUSKETEERS, told with well-paced, elegant prose and a keen eye for historical detail. I couldn’t put the book down!
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
If you're familiar with The Three Musketeers then you'll know who Milady De Winter is. This book tells her untold story-- and what a story it is! If you like strong heroines that overcome life's challenges against incredible odds then this is a must read. Even if you don't know The Three Musketeers story, you will still enjoy this book. And don't let the cover fool you into thinking it's just a sappy love story because it is way more then that. It is action packed with espionage and romance, mur ...more
Willow
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of my all-time favorite books is The Three Musketeers, and one of my all-time favorite characters is Milady De Winter. So of course, when I saw this book, I had to read it. I even ordered it before it came out.

Now there is a strange myth and lore surrounding The Three Musketeers. It truly is a masterpiece. However, like most great things it didn’t come entirely from Dumas. Large portions of the story come from The Memoirs of M. d'Artagnan by Charles de Batz de Castelmore. What’s even worse,
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
She's one of literature's most famous villains - Milady de Winter. But, who was she really? In MILADY we get her own story - from her childhood ordeals in life to the trials that will make her the ruthless woman d'Artagnan will meet. The woman who Athos married and who he thought was dead. Now she tells her story...

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION!
Mary
WOW! What a thrilling adventure! From beginning to end, I found this book so completely absorbing. Milady is a remarkable character and her story is one I plan to get to know better through Alexandre Dumas' THE THREE MUSKETEERS. Another book that lands at the top of my favorites this year.

**DRC copy courtesy of Penguin's First to Read program.
Kelley
ARC received courtesy of Berkley Publishing

This novel is so incredibly well researched! The characters, culture and intrigue from the era draw you in and make you a part of the scenes. "Milady" is Milady de Winters real story. She was a huge villain in "The Three Musketeers". Every character in every story could have their own story told. I think this is a terrific idea! Kudos to Laura Sullivan for the immense amount of research she must've done and for putting it on the page in such an enjoyabl
Darcia Helle
I have mixed feelings about this book. I'll start with the good stuff:

The writing has a beautiful literary quality. Sometimes I'd stop and linger over an elegantly worded sentence.

Sullivan clearly knows her history. The dialogue rings true for the times. Little details are sprinkled throughout that thoroughly immerse us in the historical period.

Now the stuff I didn't love: The Three Musketeers are vilified here. If you're a fan of the original Musketeers, you might not like where this story tak
Rachel Sample
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it

Milady by Laura L. Sullivan chronicles the origins of Milady de Winter, the infamous villainess from Alexandre Dumas's novel The Three Musketeers. The story follows Clarice (later known as Milady de Winter) as she embarks on a series of adventures, ranging from her childhood home in Yorkshire, to the court of King James I, to a convent in France and beyond. The bulk of the novel takes place from 1615 to 1616, 13 years prior to the events that took place in The Three Musketeers.

This nove
The Lit Bitch
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I was barely coming into my adolescents, I discovered the swashbuckling adventures of The Three Musketeers. Albeit on the big screen and not the Dumas novel, but swashbuckling adventure all the same!

I loved the 1993 film version, even if I did hate Charlie Sheen and Chris O’Donnell in it, it was still exciting and as a young girl who longed for grace adventures, it had everything I could hope for. Sword fights, friendship, and of course a bad ass femme fatale!

Oh how I loved Milady de Winter
Amber Dawn
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC from First to Read for an honest review. I really wanted to like this book. Milday is an intriguing villainess and to hear her own story sounded exciting. Except she seems to be a woman that things happen to instead of one who makes them happen. There are a few events where she is the one orchestrating the plan but almost everything that happens to her is through circumstance. Instead of a story of an intriguing villain, it's the story of a poor girl who had people make bad cho ...more
Monica
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this book on a Goodreads Giveaway. The author and publisher were nice enough to send me a copy. All opinions are my own.

Oh, how I wished this book hadn't ended. Of course, I know, all good things must come to an end, and so it is with Milady. A story of love, betrayal, spying, scheming, loss and redemption. Who could ask for more from a book?

Told from Milady's POV. If you have read 'The Three Musketeers', you know who she is. If not, she is the nemesis of the Three Musketeers.

Milady is bor
Tori
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laura Sulivan's Milady is a delightfully robust and thought-provoking addition to Duma's Three Musketeers canon.. Told from Milady de Winters' POV, Sullivan gives voice to the supposed villainess of the story, gifting her with a refreshing no-nonsense and firm unapologetic attitude as she weaves a compelling tale of love, loss, betrayal, and retribution as she forged her own path from the one that was forced upon her. Leaving little to the imagination, Milady verbally wipes the shine from Duma's ...more
Joanna Bennett
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
The premise seemed to be different than the book and its hard to enjoy it when they don't seem to coincide. It took longer for me to get through this book since there was no real connection for me to the plot or the characters. I wanted to enjoy this one but for reasons, I couldn't.

When it came to Milady, she did a lot of vile things but at the same time she also blamed it on others and love. She also seemed to have multiple personalities and I am not sure if one was for show or not. I had a har
Jackie
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-winner
Wow. I cannot remember the last time I read a book this good. This book has it all, and I won't say a word about the content because it is so masterfully presented and weaved together that I could not reveal one thing without revealing all. Just do yourself a favor and pick up this book and read it ASAP. If you love spies, English court life, historical fiction in general, strong women, and the ties that bind, this book is for you.

I write this without having read The Three Musketeers, but rest a
TXGAL1
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
MILADY, by Laura L Sullivan, is a work of Historical Fiction and the author’s first attempt to reach an adult audience.

Milady is born a fictional character to Alexandre Dumas in THE THREE MUSKETEERS. Sullivan’s book imagines a retelling of the life of Milady from her perspective as a French spy and assassin in the employ of Cardinal Richelieu’s network.

I have never read THE THREE MUSKETEERS, but I did see a version of it in a 1952 movie called “At Sword’s Point” (not very inspiring). Happily, I
Sheila Samuelson (BookAddict29) on youtube
Rating: 5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟's

Review:
This book is everything that Historical Fiction is about. The time era it is set in is my absolute favorite time era.

It's mainly about a girl with MULTIPLE Character POVS who marries more than 1 man at once because she doesn't know who she wants to be.

It got confusing at times BUT All in all it was an amazing read and an amazing retelling of The Three Muskateers retelling!!

If you love a retelling than this book is for you!!!
Andrea
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful story which has taken a well know character and told her story. History is always different from a women’s perspective and this was a fantastic book that kept me guessing the whole way!
Liz
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf, own
So the beginning of the story was great, and then it just got boring as the book progressed. So I DNFed it until I find the courage to read it again.
Sarah Perchikoff
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Charlotte Lynn
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had no idea who Milady was. I have not read The Three Musketeers and I am not at all familiar with who Milady de Winter was or what her story was. That being said I picked up this story excited to learn all that I could about this girl who was young and naive living with her mother until her father comes for her and has other plans for the path her life will be taking.

Milady is an interesting story. It takes a young girl and turns her into a feared and dangerous woman. The paths she takes, the
Danielle Zimmerman
Let me preface this by saying that I am one of the only people on the planet who isn’t familiar with the Three Musketeers. I knew OF them, but had never heard, read, or watched their story. In fact, until recently, I had no idea the story was about four men and not three. Needless to say, I’d never heard of Milady. I picked up this book (after winning a Goodreads giveaway for it) because I thought the premise itself was fascinating.

And it is. This is a fascinating story of the choices one woman
Nancy
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Three Musketeers from Milady’s Perspective

In this novel, the arch-villainess of the Three Musketeers, Milady de Winter, tells her own story. She began as a simple country girl, Clarice, and rose to the highest courts in Europe. Much of the novel is devoted to her early life giving the background that made her the woman she became. Once she meets the Musketeers, the story takes some liberties with the original Dumas book. It’s good to be familiar with the story before reading this novel.

The s
Linda Zagon
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Linda’s Book Obsession Review “Milady” by Laura L. Sullivan, Berkley, Penguin Random House, July 2, 2019

Laura L. Sullivan, Author of “MILADY” has written a unique, intense, captivating, bewitching, and exciting adventure. The Genres for this novel are Fiction and Historical Fiction. The timeline for this story is the seventeenth century. The author describes her characters as good and evil, loyal and betraying, complex and complicated. Laura L. Sullivan has provided what could be the truth of Mi
Melissa
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this book directly from Berkley Publishing/Penguin Random House. This story is told from Milady de Winter's view point. It starts when she is sixteen years old in the year 1615 to the year 1628. It chronicles her life from a naive, young girl to being involved with The Three Musketeers as a villainess to her retirement as a spy. This book was very well written and was very engaging. I thoroughly enjoyed this book because it gave substance to Milady de Winter's life before, during, and afte ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Borgia Confessions
  • Ribbons of Scarlet: A Novel of the French Revolution's Women
  • The Vanished Bride (Brontë Sisters Mystery #1)
  • The First Lady and the Rebel