Start by marking “Sad Laughter” as Want to Read:
Sad Laughter

Sad Laughter

Writing is like trying to make sense of an inside joke you have with yourself but haha joke’s on you ’cause the joke is more sad than funny.

Are poetry readings like really weird AA meetings? How can you be upset that your short stories get rejected when you’re constantly rejecting love? Would it have been easier for Luke Skywalker to become a certified Jedi had he first go
Published October 4th 2018 by Civil Coping Mechanisms

To ask other readers questions about Sad Laughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sad Laughter

Benoit Lelièvre
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book will elicit primarily two kinds of reaction: either irrational, witless anger or irrational, witless head nods like those made by extras in rap videos.

It is what it is, a deconstruction of that strange thing called online publishing culture in the form of short aphorism that were probably Facebook status or Tweets in another life. It's funny, cynical without being necessarily mean and unrelentingly honest: we spend a lot of time online talking ourselves up, sharing meaningless motivati
Bud Smith
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I used to call Brian on the phone when I would walk around Target in Linden, NJ. He lived in Florida and I lived in New York City, and sometimes I would wind up in the Target store in Linden, NJ. So I'd call him on the telephone. Back then he had a flip phone and it felt like time traveling to call him down in Florida and talk to him on that flip phone. Most of the time he would be eating a bowl of cereal or something and would answer like this, "Wuuuuuuzzzzzz up, Bud!"

Another thing Brian would
Lori
Both sad-making and laughter-wrenching in its satirical wittiness. Brian Alan Ellis is the literary BFF you've always wanted to kidnap and keep hidden away in your bedroom closet.
India
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book made me laugh more than I have in a long time.
Ryan Werner
(EXCERPT FROM) RANDOM-AND-OFTENTIMES-FABRICATED STATISTICS ABOUT SAD LAUGHTER BY BRIAN ALAN ELLIS

(329) The number of times I thought “These were tweets, right?”

(0) The number of times I actually went to Brian’s Twitter to check if these were tweets because, much like the aura and culture of literature are constantly pointed out to be in Sad Laughter, that would have been a complete waste of time and I wouldn’t have gotten any blowjobs.

(555) What you are if I’m 666

FULL REVIEW RIGHT HERE AT BENDI
Morgan Johnson
Wow this book looks so good☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺
David
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not since Springsteen has there been lines like these. Ellis is always refreshing after wading through all the typical stuff out there. Anti-pretentious while still anti-overly serious and also creative and engaging. Excellent.
Zac Smith
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a new twist on "writers writing about writing." angry, bitter, hilarious shit-talking about indie/contemporary/alt lit and publishing with a fresh, stuck-in-1994 pop-culture twist also hail satan 666
Kurt Baumeister
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's rare to come across poetry this effective in synthesizing cynicism and pathos. The medium for that is comic, sometimes derived from Twitter; but make no mistake, the thoughts and emotions reflected in Ellis's poetry are complex. This is a book that will cause you to think and feel, have you turning over how the lines between comedy and tragedy, life and death, happiness and sadness can be so thin. If you have a taste for the dark, funny side of poetry, and work that embraces what it means t ...more
Ola Elnaggar
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Did not want this book to end.
What I enjoyed as much as I enjoyed this book is the fact that it's likely to grind the gears of so many "writers" who take themselves too seriously.
Justin Grimbol
Zachary Kocanda
Apr 07, 2019
Kris V Bernard
Oct 13, 2018
BRIAN ALAN ELLIS runs House of Vlad Productions, and is the author of several books, including Sad Laughter (Civil Coping Mechanisms, 2018) and Something to Do with Self-Hate (House of Vlad Productions/Talking Book, 2017). His writing has appeared at Juked, Hobart, Monkeybicycle, Fanzine, Electric Literature, Vol. 1 Brooklyn, Funhouse, Heavy Feather Review, and Queen Mob’s Tea House, among other p ...more