Start by marking “Penguins” as Want to Read:
Penguins

Penguins

If you love penguins you will love Penguins!

Penguins do the same thing every day. They swim, eat fish, sleep standing up, look at people, and look at more people. It's an ordinary day at the zoo until a little girl drops something into the penguin pen...

see extended summary
Published October 1st 2008 by Orchard Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Penguins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penguins

FWS
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
The penguins of London Zoo have found a camera.
Inquisitive, they poke and bite until they find the flash button.

The book interacts and engages the reader: 1) on a tactile level by including an actual photo-size illustration of the penguins' photo, 2) on a perceptual level as the reader is made to assimilate their perspective via a black page with a small squared opening that simulates the camera lens.

Great to read on its own (KS1). It also reminded me of Penguins from Madagascar [excellent an
Brooke
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
i love this book so much because penguins are one of my favorite animals.
Anna
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prek-books
This is a short easy book, perfect for a quick read about penguins finding a camera and having some fun with it. My favorite part of this book is how they included the photos the penguins took at the end of the book! I loved that part so much!
Hannah
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A simple story but a nice read. A nice introduction into the habits of penguins which will make some children curious to find out more. I loved the creative features of the book too.
Jill
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simple story but my son absolutely loves this book and always asks to read it. He especially loves to pull out the pictures on the last page.
Steph
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first time I read this, the pull-out photos on the last page had been torn out so I didn’t understand it at all. Now it’s cute. :-)
Morgan
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Picked this one up for a penguin themed storytime and loved it!! Very cute, especially the fold out photographs at the end.
K Brown
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school
A fun book about penguins who take pictures with a camera that was left in the zoo!
The Bougie Twins
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is cute, but since very few people use cameras anymore, let alone film cameras, it's hard for little kids to understand what the big deal is. Cute, but there are lots of other great penguin books out there that are easier to read aloud to my story time kids.
Jennifer Heise
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
We read this last night, and my six year old wanted to take it on the school bus this morning to re-read. Definitely a success. Also, he giggled during the reading. :)

These adorable rounded penguins (who inexplicably have teeth when asked to say "Fish!" for a picture), have a relatively boring life at the zoo, especially on quiet days when there are no people around for them to watch. However, a girl accidentally drops her camera into the penguin enclosure; when a baby penguin finds it, hijinks
Mia
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I like it anyway regardless some snobby coworker who is not a big part in the Library and I have a good job today I think the best cat in you can do to the best cat is not easy to the best cat and the weekly newsletter for your inputs and I think the world and goats every time I was so the editor and they are just a good job of gumball the best way for your inputs to make sure w's and they should appreciate the world is not as i was so happy that maybe kid who is not easy but I think the Rabbit ...more
Emerald Girl
Michele Knott
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Come meet the penguins in the zoo and find out what happens when a camera drops down into their area. The penguins have fun with the camera and take some fun pictures. When the camera is returned to the rightful owner, you can imagine the surprise when the owner looks at the pictures! I had to explain to my 6 year old what cameras were like before they were digital - "You mean you couldn't see the pictures right away?" :) There is a fun surprise to find at the end of the story!
babyhippoface
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
When a little girl at the zoo drops her camera in the penguin exhibit, the penguins have fun taking photos of themselves. The zookeeper finds her camera and returns it. Imagine the girl's surprise when she finds several images of penguins smiling at each other on her roll of film!

I expected images of the photos the penguins took at the end, but there were none, just one of a monkey and one of an elephant on top of a pile of others. What?! We should've seen those photos!
Whitney Strickland
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! This is a wonderful book to read to ignite a variety of different language arts lessons. this book is about some penguins that stumble across what to them is a foreign object. The object is a camera and they just do not know what to do with it. In the end the owner of the camera has the film developed and to his surprise he has several funny photos. The characters in this story are adorable and are very entertaining to children. Very cool book.
Matthew
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was short and funny. All about a group of zoo penguins that discover a camera that must have fallen into their enclosure over the course of the day. The penguins soon discover how to use the camera and get a little crazy with it. I love the illustrations in this story. They are really amusing.
Natalie Schmitt
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Penguins at a zoo find an odd object that is left behind. One brave penguin sneaks up to the object and figures out what it is. See what happens when the penguins play with this foreign object! This book can introduce penguins and then the teacher can discuss life cycles. This book can also teach sequencing.
Lindsay
At first I was a little sad about the description of daily life of a zoo-dwelling penguin, but the plot quickly moved on and those fun-loving penguins made the most of a camera dropped into their enclosure. Fun for a preschool story time or tour, though you might have to explain about cameras and film. Great [limited] use of a cut out.
Becky B
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
A little girl loses her camera in the penguins' enclosure at the zoo. The penguins figure out how to use it and go a little picture crazy. When the keeper finds it the next day, he puts the camera in the lost and found. Eventually the little girl recovers the camera and finds some curious pictures of penguins along with her other zoo pictures.

Cute and fun picture book.
Jo-Ann
THEME: Zany zoo animals!

Fiction:
Psst!
Animal strike at the zoo
Hippo, No Rhino
Never ever shout at the Zoo!
Wild about Books
Dear Zoo by Ron Campbell

Non-fiction:

Activities/Games:

Craft:

Ubalstecha
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute story about a group of penguins at the zoo who find a camera and then figure out how to use it. Just cute, not hilarious as the publishers would have you believe. Nice flip out set of pictures at the end of the book.
Kirsten
Apr 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
What happens when a group of penguins at a zoo attraction find a tourist's lost camera? Hilarity and messy photography shall ensue! A great book for story times, I recommend this to anyone who loves penguins and/or just a great story!
Gwen the Librarian
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This is the charming story of what happens when a camera is left behind at the zoo near the penguins. Adorable and expressive illustrations and simple text make this a winner at preschool story time.
Whitney
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love penguins and I so want to believe that stories like this really happen. I adore the pictures (especially when you see the penguins holding little green fish in their little flipper hands). The best part is definitely the little fold out of the pictures the penguins took of each other.
Loren
Feb 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love the ending of this book (what a nice touch) hopefully it will in place for all the library copies. The cut out of the camera flash is a nice touch. It are a fan of penguins and zoos this is a MUST read.
Alice
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-25-stars
4.25 Stars So So so fun!! What happens when a tourist leaves a camera and the penguins go nuts!! When the girls gets her camera back... click...family penguin pictures!! Cute pictures fun story!! YIPEEE!!
Allison
Jul 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Since Jordan has been talking non-stop about all of the penguins she saw at SeaWorld, I thought this would be a fun read for us. Very cute!
Melissa
find camera. Take pictures. freezing game?
Sue
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Penguins find a camera left behind at the zoo and have fun taking pictures. Bright colors, good for the zoo preschool storytime.

• Turtle's Penguin Day
  • Sergio Makes a Splash
  • Penguin
  • If You Were a Penguin
  • The Perfect Thanksgiving
  • Hungry Hen
  • Penguins, Penguins, Everywhere!
  • What Pet To Get?
  • Ten in the Bed
  • Mouse Was Mad
  • Oh No, Little Dragon!
  • Three Cheers for Tacky
L. Pichon says that when she was little, she loved to draw, and her mom said she was very good at making a mess (this is still true today). She kept drawing, went to art school, became a designer and art director at Jive Records, and began to publish children’s books. After its publication in the U.K., The Brilliant World of Tom Gates won several prestigious awards, including the Roald Dahl Funny ...more