Start by marking “The Silent Patient” as Want to Read:
The Silent Patient

The Silent Patient

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  171,808 ratings  ·  21,083 reviews
Only she knows what happened.
Only I can make her speak.

I love him so totally, completely, sometimes it threatens to overwhelm me.
Sometimes I think-
No. I won't write about that.

ALICIA
Alicia Berenson writes a diary as a release, an outlet - and to prove to her beloved husband that everything is fine. She can't bear the thought of worrying Gabriel, or causing him

Published February 7th 2019 by Orion (first published February 5th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Patient, please sign up.
denise kay jacobs
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  171,808 ratings  ·  21,083 reviews

Start your review of The Silent Patient
Chelsea Humphrey
I feel like I should preface my review by stating that I have read A LOT of psychological thrillers, and coupling that with the fact that this was my most anticipated read of 2019 gave The Silent Patient a great deal of pressure. This will still be an overall positive review, but I felt I had to include some honest thoughts here as well for those readers who may need their expectations in line like I clearly did.

The premise here is simply incredible; we have a woman named Alicia Berenson who is
Emily May
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As you will see, it’s an incredible story—of that there is no doubt.
Whether you believe it or not is up to you.

Ohhhh, I see why this book is getting so much buzz: it is virtually unputdownable.

I didn't actually have any plans to read The Silent Patient. I just happened to see it hanging around in the new releases, took a quick peek, and thought-- why not? Well, I'll tell you why not. You absolutely definitely should NOT read this book if you want to go to sleep and get up for real life stuff
Holly  B
Wow, I'm still reeling from that ending! A mindblowing, to-die for twist!

A fast read that kept me intrigued from beginning to end, although the shocker came at the end. Wait......wait......what just happened? This was how I felt as a read the last few chapters!

Alicia Berenson is such a mysterious, intriguing character and I was trying to figure her out the entire novel. I kept asking myself, "What is up with Alicia?"She is a famous, talented painter and happily married to her husband, Gabriel.
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(2.5) This was a solid.... meh for me.

I was excited to pick up this psychological thriller because it has been getting some hype but it was a disappointment. Didn't care much for the characters, the twist was so obvious, the writing just okay. The only redeeming quality was the audiobook which made it possible for me to finish this book.

Unless you never read thrillers I don't think it's worth it.
Meredith
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
Another Over-hyped “it’s all about the twist read” that fell short for me.

The Silent Patient is a dark and twist-filled psychological thriller about a woman who stopped speaking the night her husband was murdered and the psychotherapist who treats her 6 years later.

The plot: A psychotherapist’s interest with a patient borders on obsession. The patient does not speak. The psychotherapist believes he is the one who can get the silent patient to speak. Will he succeed?

My frustrations stem from the
Lala BooksandLala
I'm annoyed.
Maureen
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
My thanks to Ben Willis at Orion Publishing Group for sending me a paperback copy of ‘The Silent Patient’ I have given an honest unbiased review in exchange*

Alicia Berenson was discovered standing over her husband - he’d been tied to a chair and shot in the face five times. Alicia gives no explanation and refuses to speak. She’s admitted to a psychiatric unit, ‘The Grove’ in North London, and six years later she still hasn’t spoken - not one single word!

Theo Faber is a criminal psychotherapist
Felicia
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Alex Michaelides,
Brav-the-fuck-o dude

"Her silence was like a mirror - reflecting yourself back at you.
And it was often an ugly sight."

And that, my friends, sums up this book perfectly.

Dark psychological suspense is my favorite genre and books like this one are exactly the reason why.

This book is the very definition of a page-turner. From the very first page I was seduced by the magnetic writing style of Alex Michaelides.

Nothing is as it seems in this novel. This story is complex and
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

Well looks like I’m the outlier on this book as I have been reading many glowing 5 star reviews. Maybe I’ve been reading too many thrillers lately. For me to love a thriller all of the characters have to be well developed and intricate to the story, the plot has to be a good one and have more to offer than just the “thrill”, or wow factor at the end of the book. I found the characters to be shallow and the plot seemed to run off in several directions throughout the course of
j e w e l s
FIVE STARS

THE SILENT PATIENT is a deep, dark tale of murder, love and revenge. This is a contemporary story steeped in a deliciously gothic tone. At the beginning of the book, we have a vicious murder, a frightening asylum setting for the criminally insane, and a suspect who refuses to speak. When Theo steps in to save the day as psychotherapist to the silent Alice, well….you are in for a twisted treat, so I can’t divulge anymore!

I went into this book with expectations it would be similar to
Julie
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides is a 2019 Celadon Books publication.

When this book first started to garner a little buzz, I initially shied away from it. I am still avoiding psychological thrillers for the most part. However, the reviews were so overwhelmingly positive I relented, adding it to my TBR list. After a lengthy wait at the library, I finally obtained a copy, and dived in with no small amount of cautious optimism. Was it worth the wait? Did it live up to the hype?

The set- up is
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christina - Traveling Sister
5, the debut of the century stars!!!

Full review along with a Curry Chicken recipe featured on my blog Recipe & a Read!

So first off, can I get a “hell yeah” for Alex Michaelides for this stunning debut of a novel! I ordered this on a whim on Amazon because I didn’t want to wait through the 86 holds at my library and when it came in the mail I decided just to take one little peak. However, what actually happened, was me zooming through this thrill ride at break-neck speed and finishing it in
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
5 “this lived up to the hype” stars!!!

Brilliant! Shocking! Addictive! Mesmerizing!

I’m stunned that this is a debut novel. The skillfully scripted storyline, the truly unforgettable characters, the pulse-pounding suspense, the consistently enthralling pace, the enticing narration – all exceptionally fantastic! This was dazzling perfection! The author, Alex Michaelides, has set the bar extremely high for any follow up novels. Wow!

I’m going to keep this short and sweet and avoid getting into any
Debra
Teetering between a 4 and a 4.5

Alicia Berenson is a famous painter who has been admitted to the Grove, a forensic unit in North London. She has been charged with murdering her husband, Graham, who is a fashion photographer, after he returns home late one evening. After shooting Graham, Alicia has never spoken again.

Theo Faber is a criminal psychotherapist who accepted a job at the Grove in the hopes of working with Alicia. He is obsessed with learning her motive. He knows he can get her to talk.
megs_bookrack
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She tied her husband to a chair.
She shot him multiple times.
She slit her own wrists.
She waited for the police to arrive.

That's what THEY say she did.

Alicia Berenson isn't SAYING anything .

When Theo Faber, criminal psychotherapist, takes a new job at The Grove, he is well aware of their most famous patient, Alicia Berenson. In fact, Theo's goal is to work with her, to see if he can get her to reveal what really happened on the night her husband was killed.

Through Theo's perspective, his
Jennifer Masterson
I’m giving this novel all the stars! What a freaking ending!!! I absolutely loved it!

I listened to the audio. Both narrators were brilliant! The audio might have actually enhanced this novel! The narration was that good! Would make a good first listen. Both narrators made it very easy to follow.

Highly recommended!
Charlotte May
“There’s so much pain everywhere, and we just close our eyes to it. The truth is we’re all scared. We’re terrified of each other. I’m terrified of myself.”

This was a wild ride!
I’d been looking forward to this thriller for absolutely ages – and it was definitely worth the wait in my opinion.

Theo is a psychotherapist, recently moved to a new institution as he is fascinated by the woman referred to as The Silent Patient.

Alicia shot her husband in the face five times, then proceeded to try and
jessica
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
recently, ive realised that i feel quite jaded when it comes to mysteries/thrillers. they have started to lose their ability to truly shock and surprise me; and im not sure if thats because the more you read them, the more aware and better you are at picking up subtle hints as a reader. but its starting to require a really unexpected twist to make a thriller/mystery memorable for me. and thankfully i found that in ‘the silent patient.’

i really enjoy how this story weaves together theo fabers
Norma * Traveling Sister ~ Semi-hiatus for now until I fully get my reading/reviewing hat on! 😂 I’m almost there! 💕
Astonishing, unputdownable and spellbinding stuff here!

Holy shooty balls!!! Loved....loved....loved! This book is exactly what I needed…...a fast-paced and fully absorbing thriller that I literally could not put down or stop thinking about. This was some fantastic storytelling!

THE SILENT PATIENT by ALEX MICHAELIDES is a dazzling, fascinating, compelling, and an absolutely fabulous psychological thriller novel that was quite the immersive and thrilling book to read. Right from the very beginning
JanB
Once I picked this book up, I couldn’t stop and finished it in two sittings. I was intrigued right from the start and found it to be quite the page-turner.

Theo is a psychotherapist who has issues of his own (don’t they all?) but he finagles his way into a job at a psychiatric facility so he can work with Alicia, a patient who was found guilty some years earlier of killing her husband, Gabriel, byshooting him in the face 5 times.She has not spoken a word in the years since the murder and Theo is
Nicola
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘We often mistake love for fireworks- for drama and dysfunction.
But real love is very quiet, very still.
It’s boring, if seen from the perspective of high drama.
Love is deep and calm - and constant.’

ALICIA
Alicia Berenson writes in her diary as a release, an outlet - and to prove to her beloved husband that everything is fine.She cannot bear the thought of worrying Gabriel,
or causing him pain.

Until late one evening,Alicia shoots Gabriel five times and then never speaks another word.

THEO
Forensic
Andreia ♡The Butterfly Lover♡
What???!!! Is this serious??!! I am shocked by how good this book is!! Gripping from start to finish! It blew my mind! I would never have guessed the ending!! WOW!! Loved the idea of alternating the patients life with the therapists life to converge on a major twist! I will be looking forward to reading more books by the author in the future! Highly recommended!

so, Alicia Berenson’s life is seemingly perfect. A famous painter married to an in-demand fashion photographer, she lives in a grand
Larry H
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

I read a lot of thrillers, so I tend to be pretty hard on them. Because, as I've mentioned, I have this tendency to suspect every single character that appears in a thriller, I'm often not as surprised as many others are when authors throw in twists and turns, or when the perpetrator is finally revealed.

While I had some suspicions about the way things in Alex Michaelides' terrific debut, The Silent Patient , might go, I will admit he pulled one over on me at one point. I really
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
For shits sake! This is me by the end of the book!!

I will give the book kudos for making me not be able to put it damn down!! But I wanted to smack everyone six ways until Sunday!! I don’t even know how I truly feel so I’m staying in the middle at 3

So I loved the little twist at the end; but I didn’t! I don’t freaking know!! I can say, I’m glad I read it, but I will never buy it!

The End!! Goodbye! Tootleloo!

Mel
leslie hamod
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best thriller I have ever read! Congratulations Alex Michealides!
A woman, successful in every way, returns home one night and shoots her husband five times in the face.
Or did she? We begin her road to recovery. She will not or cannot speak. I do want several hours guessing whom was responsible. I never put this book down. Yes. Best thriller of 2019. A constant game of guessing. When, why and what.
The take told by her therapist. An amazing doctor who has only her good in mind and sets out to
Michelle
Whoa! This was brilliant!

This book right here is the reason that I love psychological thrillers. This has become an overly saturated genre with every one taking a stab at writing these twisty little mind fucks but more often than not they fall flat. It takes a talented mind and writer to pull off a really shocking twist successfully. Alex Michaelides has done just that because I did not see that coming at all and for that I thank you! *claps hands*

Alicia Berenson appears to have it all. She's
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
As a psychotherapist, Theo Faber thought it was obvious that Alicia Berenson had suffered a severe trauma surrounding her husband, Gabriel’s death.

“Alicia joined the ranks of other briefly famous murders; faces we remember, but whose names we forget”.
NOT Theo Faber!! He ‘never’ forgot - even though nearly six years have gone by.
Alicia was admitted to a mental institution- rather than prison - even though all evidence pointed to her killing her husband.

Characters were under-developed and flat.
chan ☆
fuck

(this is up there with gone girl for me ok bye)

read for reading gabbyreads fave's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7upgQ...
KAS
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A Compelling Whodunnit!!

Alicia is found in a state of frozen terror surrounded by a gun on the floor along with a knife and blood everywhere. Her husband, Gabriel, is sitting bound to a chair and his handsome face pelted with numerous gunshot wounds.

BUT ... did she commit the murder?!? Trouble is Alicia hasn’t spoken a word since the police arrived at the gruesome scene.

Recently hired by the psychiatric hospital, Theo finds himself assigned as Alicia’s psychotherapist. He is faced with the

• The Turn of the Key
  • Love Lies: A True Story of Marriage and Murder in the Suburbs
  • The Whisper Man
  • Miracle Creek
  • City of Girls
  • Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
  • No Exit
  • The Last House Guest
Born in Cyprus to a Greek-Cypriot father and English mother, I studied English literature at Cambridge University and got my MA in screenwriting at the American Film Institute in Los Angeles. I wrote the film The Devil You Know (2013) starring Rosamund Pike and co-wrote The Con is On (2018), starring Uma Thurman, Tim Roth, Parker Posey and Sofia Vergara. THE SILENT PATIENT is my first novel.
“...we often mistake love for fireworks - for drama and dysfunction. But real love is very quiet, very still. It's boring, if seen from the perspective of high drama. Love is deep and calm - and constant.” 124 likes
“Choosing a lover is a lot like choosing a therapist. We need to ask ourselves, is this someone who will be honest with me, listen to criticism, admit making mistakes, and not promise the impossible?” 65 likes