Start by marking “De Niro: A Biography” as Want to Read:
De Niro: A Biography

De Niro: A Biography

3.1  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The life of Hollywood’s number one movie actor, the elusive Robert De Niro, who shuns the limelight and rarely gives interviews, written by the leading film critic and biographer of Spielberg, Kubrick, Woody Allen and George Lucas.

Robert De Niro is the pre-eminent Hollywood character performer of our time: film portraits like the young Don Vito Corleone in THE GODFATHER II
Published October 6th 2003 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about De Niro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De Niro

Rachel
Mar 21, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography, nonfiction
Well, I only kept at this one for as long as I did because it was Robert De Niro. But it was not well-written at all. I think that I'm going to have to wait until he dies (hopefully for a long long long long time) before a decent biography comes out. I liked reading about how all his films came together and how he worked his craft, but it did things like, say, he took a class with an African-American (was the guy his teacher, his class-mate? I don't know), and this is the reason he hung out with ...more
Danielroffle
May 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Starts out strong, but as it goes on it becomes less and less interested in DeNiro's creative work and more and more interested in tabloid-y scandal stories. DeNiro emerges from the book as a weak, uninteresting character who only really comes alive in his roles and, judging by his more recent career (which Baxter rightfully pans), this means there's little of interest to read about from about the late 80's onwards. The book ends with a very silly showbiz epilogue (something along the lines of " ...more
Matt Micucci
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Just because a book is easy to read it does not mean it's well written.
Chris
May 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Terribly written and seems to end mid sentence
Steve
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Biographies by their very nature contain a lot of personal opinion in them, but this author seems too snidey to me. Good early on when writing about De Niro's parents and early days, but not so good on De Niro the actor. To me he seems more intelligent than the author makes out, and Baxter concentrates on tittle tattle too much later on. Can't really recommend it.
Arian
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed it as it was very well researched and interesting. It did annoy me a bit the way John Baxter down played Deniro a bit...i.e. made him out to be far less billiant than what he really is and as a result also didn't rate his perfomance in various of the movies he was in appropriately...especially the more recent of his movies.
Liz Hernandez
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
If you don't know anything about the De Niro's movies this is a good start. It gives you a lot of details about his movies more than his personal life. This book was first published in 2002. I guess, 10 years later, an autobiography will be a lot better.
Tim Evans
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Decent biography though a bit over critical. I mean the guy doesn't even like King Of Comedy?!
Matthew
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5
Greg
Jan 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, films
Great actor to read about, he has been in so many good films. Just last night Midnight Run was on the tv, fantastic.
Terrance Gelenter
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Starts out with a bang just like DeNiro but he stopped making good movies before the book was finished so it sags at the end.
Graham
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Don't really know that much more about De Niro after reading this.
Neil
Apr 25, 2016
Tracey Richings
Apr 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • How to Avoid Being Killed in a War Zone: The Essential Survival Guide for Dangerous Places
  • Neuro-Linguistic Programming for Dummies
  • As Little Design as Possible
  • Against the Odds: An Autobiography
  • Do They Think You're Stupid?: 100 Ways Of Spotting Spin And Nonsense From The Media, Celebrities And Politicians
  • Poorly Made in China: An Insider's Account of the Tactics Behind China's Production Game
  • Operation Fortitude
  • Napoleon: A Biography
  • Ayahuasca in My Blood: 25 Years of Medicine Dreaming
  • Open Secret: The Autobiography of the Former Director-General of MI5
  • Rebel Code: Linux and the Open Source Revolution
John Baxter (born 1939 in Randwick, New South Wales) is an Australian-born writer, journalist, and film-maker.

Baxter has lived in Britain and the United States as well as in his native Sydney, but has made his home in Paris since 1989, where he is married to the film-maker Marie-Dominique Montel. They have one daughter, Louise.

He began writing science fiction in the early 1960s for New Worlds, Sci
More about John Baxter...