Start by marking “Growing Your Own Tea Garden: The Guide to Growing and Harvesting Flavorful Teas in Your Backyard” as Want to Read:

You Love To Drink Tea. Why Not Grow Your Own?

If you’ve ever considered raising your own tea, this comprehensive guide is the place to start. Growing Your Own Tea Garden is packed with inspiration and practical instructions for cultivating and enjoying delicious teas. Author Jodi Helmer helps you plan and plant a productive backyard tea garden, with sample garden designs an
Kindle Edition
Published May 14th 2019 by CompanionHouse Books

To ask other readers questions about Growing Your Own Tea Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Your Own Tea Garden

Deanne Patterson
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like me I'm sure a lot of you drink tea, iced or hot it's delicious.
Have you ever thought of growing the herbs,berries,etc to make your own tea?
I'll have to admit I have made my own tea before but only one kind. I used the lemon mint in my yard. It's makes a lovely and refreshing tea.
If you're just starting out as a tea enthusiast or are already there but want a little more detailed instructions this book has everything you could possibly need to brew that delicious cup of tea.
It's amazing how m
Bonnye Reed
Jodi Helmer brings us very precise information on what herbs and plants make good tea or tisanes, excellent pictures of those plants and recipes and suggestions for making beverages hot or cold. We have excellent instructions on the planting and growing of these herbs and spices and weeds, how to harvest and dry or prepare them green and what to beware of in our yards and fields.

I already have an extensive herb garden and many of those plants are tea producers - how neat! I had no idea the fenn
Dora  (Swift Coffee Book Blog)
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
What's better than reading a book about different teas while slowly sipping a huge mug of hot tea yourself?

Well, a lot of things - it was a pretty nice experience for me nonetheless. This is a basic guide to different plants that are possible to transform into tea/infusion, and there are also a couple of tips for tea brewing and recipes so you have some ground you can star off. There was a time while reading about the leaves and fruits and roots and plants when I felt more and more bored with th
Laurie Garrison
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, gardening
I love growing herbs, flowers and drinking tea, so when I noticed this book I just had to try it. This book will help you learn what herbs are great for making teas and the vitamins and nutrients each one has along with how to brew them.

I really enjoyed the history of tea section so informative as a matter of fact, this whole book is full of useful information, heck I never know you could use blackberry leaves in for tea, you learn something new every day. LOL.

Are you wanting to kick the habit
Janet

You Love To Drink Tea. Why Not Grow Your Own? If you’ve ever considered raising your own tea, this comprehensive guide is the place to start. Growing Your Own Tea Garden is packed with inspiration and practical instructions for cultivating and enjoying delicious teas. Author Jodi Helmer help
Carrie Templeton
I was underwhelmed by this. I was hoping for something highly geared toward gardening, and this was mostly details about brewing and preparation of products from your tea garden. There was a small bit of information about gardening for each item, but less than I expected from the book’s title.
Beth
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic resource! Specific information on a range of plants to grow for using in tea, along with instructions on how to harvest and prepare the plants and many different recipes. Really excited to try some of these.
Sg
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing Your Own Tea Garden makes for not only a wonderful cup of tea, but would make a gorgeous table book; it serves as an herbal tea and tisane primer as well as garden set up.
The photos as well as the information provided really opened up the world of tea drinking more for me than just my boiling water and steeping a cuppa.
After a introduction to tea types, we are treated to the ideas of of all kinds of tea - using herbs, berries, and flowers you can grow yourself. She is mindful of the gro
Alicia Bayer
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fun and informative book filled with information on growing your own herbs and other plants for homemade teas of all sorts. The book starts with very thorough information on the history of tea and the kinds of tea (black, green, white, etc.) and then features many plants you can grow in your garden to make your own teas. It also includes some tea recipes.

Color photos are used throughout, though they are stock photos and not provided by the author. Stock photos seem to be used for the
Alexis
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This books starts by giving a brief and easy to follow history of tea, and what you can expect to find with each sub category of tea. The growing sections are helpfully divided into what part of the plant you use to make the tea, and I found some new ideas listed, along with some old favourites. More focus is placed on making the tea than growing the plants, and I feel some of the difficulty is understated with some plants. I would love to use Yaupon holly to make tea, but that usually requires ...more
Jane
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an informative book full of ideas for growing your tea garden. The intro covers the history of tea, including the history of the tea bag. The next chapter covers the types of plants for the garden including a brief history of each plant and tips for optimum brewing. The subsequent chapters cover garden designs and present the best practices for growing a tea garden; you will also find combinations of plants to brew tea for specific purposes.

The book is filled with gorgeous photos and il
Sascha
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 stars

I have been fascinated by herbs since I was a tween, perhaps because of folklore or their ubiquity in literature or the mere fact that the old farmers I knew in West Virginia used fresh ones in such a commonplace manner, which I never saw in the city where I lived. And, even before that I was a tea drinker and still am. So it was only natural that I would be drawn to a book like Growing Your Own Tea Garden by Jodi Helmer.

Growing Your Own Tea Garden suggests possible herbs, flowers, an
Debbie
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
"Growing Your Own Tea Garden" is a very basic, short gardening book about growing herbs to make into tea. The author started with a brief history of tea, then she included entries for numerous plants that can be used for tea. She covered true tea and herbal teas made from the leaves, flowers, fruits, and roots of various plants. In each entry, she provided very basic planting information, the plant's uses and health benefits, and how to brew it into tea. She suggested some combinations of plants ...more
Tesha Ham
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a great book for tea lovers looking to start their own garden or wanting to know more about the ingredients in their teas. This title includes a brief history of tea, which is a nice touch as many books don't include that. You can find how to grow, harvest, and dry tea ingredients; as well as how to best brew each kind of tea. It also includes details as to what ingredients will grow in different parts of the world, based on the climate and soil that best suits them. The book als ...more
Camille
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
What an interesting read. Before I came across this book, it never crossed my mind I could grow my own plants to make my own tea.
It starts with a brief history of tea drinking, which I found fascinating. Then, there is a list of plants you can grow with a bit of information on each one. It's written for an American readership, so it might be a bit frustrating for readers of other countries, but that's fine with me, you can hardly write a book that will suit everyone as the plants will vary wild
Leyla Johnson
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very informative book on both tea and growing and making your own tisane. There is a very interesting history of Camellia sinensis tea which includes what and how white, black, green and oorlong tea come about.
The rest of the book explains about herbal teas or tisanes, there is an extensive catalogue of flowers, leaves, roots and fruit that can be brewed into teas, each with a photo, growing information, herbal benefits, and parts to use. The book also has a wonderful information of on
Susan Bewley
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As someone who can’t live without her tea, I couldn’t wait to open this book when it arrived. I was truly blown away by all the wonderful knowledge and how many fruits, and parts of fruit plants could be used to create various kinds of tea. This is one of the first times I have ever seen a book approach making tea in a fun, information, and easy to follow way. Probably the most challenging section is learning about the most common teas – black, white, green, and oolong – and what you need to kno ...more
Crystal
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I drink lots of tea and also love to garden so this book is right up my alley! I loved the simplicity of this book and that the author gives a wide variety of herbs and such that you can easily grow in most gardens. I also love the brewing tips (I would hate to go through the whole process of growing tea to only ruin it by seeping it too long!). I was also really surprised that parsley can be made into a tea! I would have never thought to try that, but now I can't wait to try a cup!
Cat
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was worried that this book was going to be all about tisanes, not a fan, and was pleasantly surprised to find actual tea included! Sadly, I can't grow it in my yard, but the brewing and info on teas was appreciated! Nice to learn what the varies tisanes and teas can be used for medicinally, too. I only knew the folk uses of two from my own family. May need to add a few more to my medicine cabinet! Good read- resourceful!

I received a Kindle ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Jeanette
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I drink several cups of tea a day and would love to grow some of my own tea. I only drink black tea with milk, but some of my family enjoy green tea. Plenty of useful and interesting information in this book. My daughter has a huge garden and loves to grow plants/veg that is different from the norm. I am sure she will be interested in this book. Recommended.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers. This is my honest review.
Jill