Start by marking “Changing Ways” as Want to Read:

Changing Ways

Growing up sucks. Struggling to cope with the constant stress of school, her mother, and her confusing social life, sixteen-year-old Grace Edwards finds sanity in the most destructive of ways: dieting and self-harming. But just when Grace thinks she has everything under control, a classmate catches her cutting in the girls’ locker room, and Grace’s entire
life is flipped u
Published September 1st 2018 by Wicked Whale Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Changing Ways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changing Ways

Start your review of Changing Ways
Schizanthus Nerd
Grace is 16 and a junior at Chuck L. Everett High School (“Chuckles”) in western Connecticut. She lives with her mother and younger brother, Jamie, and misses her father. She’s trying out for Varsity soccer this year.
I’ve never been satisfied with how I look - even when I was younger, I was self-conscious of my appearance. Now that I’m older, those insecurities are more profound than ever.
Recently Grace has secretly been self harming and restricting her food intake. When another student catc
K.R. Conway
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A riveting portrait of teenhood shadowed by social pressure, self doubt, and the constant cost of
anorexia, yet the strength to power onward.
Liralen
Funny thing: there's a queer Lou in here who reminds me more than a little of another queer Lou. Actually, I'd quite like to see a story from this Lou's perspective.

Tannenbaum approaches Grace's story with more balance than these stories often get. Grace is not the Sickest Patient Doctors Have Ever Seen; she doesn't spend months and months and months and months in hospital; a few weeks (or a Miracle Therapist) isn't enough to solve her problems. There's a lot of two-steps-forward-one-step-back a
Bookclubct
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We highly recommend Changing Ways for teens and adults (especially parents).
Readers will immediately care about Grace, and the story is a page-turner as you'll want to know more about her journey.

We can't wait to see read Julia Tannenbaum's next book.
Miranda
This book obviously has its trigger warnings, may it be for self harm, depression, suicide, eating disorders, psyche ward treatmeants etc.

And with that comes my issues... I suffer from depression, I’ll have these days I literally want to throat punch everyone and can’t stand to be around people because the words they are saying in my eyes make no sense and don’t matter. More often than not I don’t get the lets go cry for an hr depression it’s that rage that no one listens to you and your not pay
Debbie
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Changing Ways is a beautifully written and insightful debut novel that takes us on a journey into the thoughts and experiences of a teenage girl struggling with mental illness, while also providing a glimpse into what it is like to be a parent, friend and sibling who do everything in their power to support her. I laughed and I cried as I read this remarkable story and felt the spirit of the author come through in every word written. I am incredibly grateful that the author so articulately expres ...more
Kaitlyn
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You definitely felt Grace’s frustration at what was happening to her but you also felt frustration towards Grace because she needed to get better.
I kinda want to see what happens with her and Isaac and her relationship to everyone within the school and how she goes with soccer, I guess that’s just something to conjure up.
I loved the included helpline at the end, it’s such a necessity with any book dealing with mental health.
Laura Griffons
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Changing Ways portrays mental illness very honestly and accurately. I also appreciate how it depicts teens. I've read so many YA books where I haven't been able to relate to the characters, but with this one I felt a strong connection to Grace. I also loved Lou. She's a fantastic friend, and it's good that the author wasn't hyper-focused on her sexuality.
West Hartford Public Library
Julia Tannenbaum writes with a fresh, authentic voice telling the story of a teen's struggle with an eating disorder. Life for 16-year old Grace often feels out of control - a situations she tries to manage through cutting and strict regulation of what she eats. Told with empathy, insight and understanding, Grace's story ends on a hopeful note. I'm looking forward to the sequel, Breaking Free.
Joana Barroca
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book should be read by so many more people!

I always feel like I learn more about mental illnesses by reading books on that topic and this was no different, I never read a book that portrayed anorexia. Grace didn’t want to admit she was anorexic because she didn’t think she was, she didn’t think she needed help, so while you understand her frustration you also want her to get better so badly
Holly
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted at ragdollreads.co.uk

Ragdoll Rating: 5/5 Buttons

Recommended For: Anybody who wants to take a gut-punch to the feels (in a good way).

About the Book...

TW: This book contains details of self harm, anorexia and other mental health issues, psychiatric wards and hospitals.

For Grace Edwards, life is a bit of an emotional storm. Her father left after her mother had an affair. That, combined with the usual high school horrors would make anyone miserable. But it's not all bad. Her dream
Caroline
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, what an eye opener! Usually I stray away from young adult genres but after reading 13 Reasons Why, I came across this book. More intriguing was the fact the book was written by a young author, always interesting to read through the perspective of a young writer.

This book accounts the story of a young girl, feeling lost and misunderstood and portrays her story in such a true to life way, it is hard for any reader not to become engrossed after the first chapter. Not only did the s
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Changing Ways" is a really emotional and intense novel and I liked that the author didn't portray recovery as easy. The protagonist's struggle felt realistic and her attempts at recovery were portrayed as a struggle and as difficult, which I feel is way more realistic than the portrayals in most YA novels that just gloss over the struggle. I was especially impressed when I saw how young the author is.

Unfortunately, the dialogue felt rather stilted at times. Overall, the relationships
Michelle Kidwell
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing

by Julia Tannenbaum
Wicked Whale Publishing

Teens & YA
Pub Date 02 Sep 2018

I am reviewing a copy of Changing Ways through Wicked Whale Publishing and Netgalley:

Grace Edward tries to deal with the constant stress of school, her Mother and her confusing Social Life through dieting and self harming a classmate catches her self harming when she believes she has everything under control and her life is turned upside down. She's faced with the unthinkable a stint in the psych ward where the
Kim Pita
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
While reading Changing Ways, you will undoubtedly find yourself evaporating into the well-written and meaningful dialogue that flows so flawlessly. Julia Tannenbaum gives her readers a real-life glimpse into what it is like to endure the trauma behind teenage eating disorders and mental health conditions. You will find yourself rooting for the main character throughout the book hoping she finds the courage, strength and strategies to overcome her deepest challenges. Julia is a talented, young wr ...more
Ann
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Julia's story of Grace and others with eating disorders is so well told. It is fiction, but Julia knows first-hand about anorexia and depression. I attended her presentation recently where one of her mothers and her psychotherapist- dietitian also presented.

Grace's feelings and actions are real. Eating disorders affect girls and boys as the story tells. The book ends, not with resolution, but with expectation.

Julia, I hope you will keep writing. Your knowledge of this subject is undoubtedly the
Michelle Miranda
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I kept this book in my purse and read it every chance I got!

I loved that this story was not a complete happy ending, that the main character Grace had challenges as well as triumphs. The character development of Grace made me love her and want to know what would happen next in her world.

I loved this book and I celebrated with Grace when she flourished and I cried with her when she failed. Loved it!
chrisa
Jun 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
This was an interesting read. There are some typos that the editors should have caught which interrupted the flow of the narrative, but overall the book was well written. The author delves into what it is like to have anxiety, self-harming behaviors, and an eating disorder with sensitivity. I didn't always like the narrator, but I was engrossed in the story.
Marisa
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fictional Young Adult story by a local CT author; she based many aspects of CHANGING WAYS on her own experiences, which provides an authentic teen voice and POV. At times you love and you hate Grace, she is your average high school girl dealing with stress from sports, school, her family, and just life...but what happens when the pressure gets too much and the small voices in her head succeed in convincing her to self harm. When she's discovered harming herself, she quickly finds herse ...more
Carole Lloyd
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I met Julia at an event and bought both of her books. Lovely young woman. I'm not one to read YA, but I loved her novels. I look forward to reading more of her work in the future. Would highly recommend.
Jazzmine Hollings
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I won this book in a giveaway contest. It was a good and engaging read, and I liked the casual writing. Very teen-friendly. But I think adults should also read this book, too, because it's a good insight into how kids my age think.
Moriah Conant
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Trigger warnings: self-harm, restrictive eating, psychiatric hospital stays
Zoe Victoria
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very relatable and engaging. I couldn't put it down!
Traceylee
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why

This is a book about a teenager who started cutting them along with that developed an eating disorder and had to go into treatment for it.
Simon Libra
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I think a lot of people could benefit from reading it. The subject matter is intense at times but its very important to learn about mental illness in my opinion.
Ashleigh Armstrong
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
An excellent narrative, which will engage all readers. A wonderful voice which communicates a clear message. A great read.
Maddie
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. I got it at a small town farmers/craft market and got to meet her! I was so thankful when she signed my book. This book was so attaching I couldn’t put it down!
Terri O'Donnell
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great read to understand what it is like for the challenges in many young people’s lives.
Dani Gz Vega
TW: self-harm, eating disorders, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, suicide, mental illness.

This book was real, it took me back at the time in high school when I dealt with some of the things the protagonist goes through, it was a really good portrait of how not only bullying gives depression, how some words that could feel like nothing to some of us are like blades.
I loved the way it's written, it felt so light and fast paced I couldn't put it down, I really liked the secondary characters, a
Michelle
Dec 27, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 22% really not in the right place to read a book like this

• A Danger to Herself and Others
  • Those Who Wish Me Dead
  • Redhead by the Side of the Road
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts)
  • The Night Watchman
  • Undertow (Undertow, #1)
  • All The Promises We Break
  • All the Lonely People
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • Frank Sinatra
  • Forget My Name
  • XX
  • The Night Country (The Hazel Wood, #2)
  • Long Bright River
  • Hell-Bent: Obsession, Pain, and the Search for Something Like Transcendence in Competitive Yoga
  • The Book Charmer (Dove Pond, #1)
Julia Tannenbaum published her debut novel Changing Ways when she was eighteen, and released the sequel Breaking Free one year later. She has since been featured in newspapers and magazines, interviewed on television and radio stations, and actively works with mental health organizations to spread awareness and eliminate stigma. She is open about her personal journey to overcome mental illness and ...more