Start by marking “The A List (Ali Reynolds, #14)” as Want to Read:
The A List (Ali Reynolds, #14)

The A List

(Ali Reynolds #14)

In the next “devilish page-turner” (People) from New York Times bestselling author J.A. Jance, Ali Reynolds learns that no good deed goes unpunished.

Published April 2nd 2019 by Gallery Books

Start your review of The A List (Ali Reynolds, #14)
Julie
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The A- List by J.A. Jance is a 2019 Gallery Books publication.

A top -notch chapter in the Ali Reynolds series!!

Dr. Edward Gilchrist suffered a spectacular fall from grace when it came to light that he was the main sperm donor at his fertility clinic. Not only that, he may have passed down a genetic illness to his progeny.

Ali, in one of her last assignments as an L.A. News anchor, broke the story, which had a domino effect, resulting in the doctor serving a life sentence without parole.

Despit
Liz
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library

It’s been a while since I’ve read a J. A. Jance book, although she’s been a long time favorite author of mine. Still I got a real sense of deja vu when I started this one. It took me a while to realize that Jance was just reiterating a lot of Ali Reynold’s backstory at the beginning of the book.

The story takes us back to 2003, when a group of women realize they’ve been bamboozled by a fertility doctor and that he is the father of their children, not the supposed sperm donors cataloged. He kills
Jean
I started reading the Ali Reynolds’ series with book one. After the first two books I was not sure I wanted to continue, but I am glad I did as this has turned out to be an interesting series. I am a big fan of J. A. Jance’s other two series.

The book is well written and the plot twists and turns. The characters are interesting. There are a lot of flashbacks in this story. It is a story that Ali covered when she was a T.V. newsperson in Los Angeles and that has put her life in danger. Jance is su
Kathleen
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Jance borrowed from current events to write her latest offering featuring former newswoman Ali Reynolds—e.g., the scandal regarding fertility doctors substituting their own sperm in place of sperm provided and screened by a donor bank.

Jance offers up an unscrupulous villain in the form of Dr. Edward Gilchrist. And he does his job well! However, in order to develop the plot, the author brings in multiple subplots regarding the ‘children’ of the doctor. These require multiple characters—which requ
Sheila Beaumont
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is another excellent entry in my favorite of J.A. Jance's series. It was good to see Stuart's AI, Frigg, play a crucial role in solving another of Ali's mysteries.
Donna Davis
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers and feminists.
Best-selling author J.A. Jance is something of a legend here in Seattle, and I came to her work as a huge fan of the J.P. Beaumont series. It took me awhile to bond to the Ali Reynolds series—which is set in Not-Seattle-- but I am all in it now. Big thanks go to Net Galley and Gallery Books for the review copy.

Our story commences inside a prison where a killer is spending what’s left of his life and plotting vengeance. On his arm are tattooed 5 initials which comprise his “A list” for the five
Skip
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
This book follows a human interest story that Ali broadcast back when she was a TV reporter in L.A. A distraught mother comes to her to seek a kidney donor for her dying son, who was artificially inseminated, but the fertility doctor won't help her find the semen donor. Turns out for good reason as he (Dr. Edward Gilchrist) donated sperm regularly as did his nurse, then wife Dawn, who donated eggs. Anyway, Ali's story turned up a half-brother who was ecstatic to find a soulmate and donated. When ...more
Kaijsa
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm a longtime reader of J.A. Jance's books, but I've never really gotten into the Ali Reynolds series like I did the J.P. Beaumont books or, to a lesser extent, the Joanna Brady series. But her mysteries are usually enjoyable, so I picked this up, I didn't love it, unfortunately.
The central story is interesting. In the 1980s, a fertility doctor/sociopath uses his own sperm and his wife's eggs instead of legitimate donor material and is found out and imprisoned. So he creates a kill list and sta
Kelsie Maxwell
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-read
The A List by J. A Jance is book fourteen in her Ali Reynolds series, featuring a former newscaster turned cybersecurity specialist. I haven’t read any of the previous books in this series but had no problem following the story. The story is told from a present-day perspective with past references to round out the details.

Dr. Edward Gilchrist is serving a life without parole prison sentence for murder. He has decided to take revenge on the individuals he feels had a hand in landing him in priso
ReneE
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I know I am definitely in the minority here, but I did not care for this book. I found it to be convoluted and boring. In looking back to my prior reviews, this particular series has been rather hit and miss for me. I just could not get into this one for a long time. I didn't find the premise to be as engaging as some of her other books and not very interesting (except for the mother!). Maybe I will try her Beaumont series.
Connie D
Another satisfying mystery from J.A. Jance, better than a few of her more recent ones in my opinion, a 4+.

I found the initial crime, a doctor using his own sperm on many inseminated eggs, an intriguing issue I hadn't considered much. Further crimes and criminals follow, which I won't divulge.

Barbara LeMere
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-drama
I received this as a Goodreads giveaway and I was thrilled to get it because I am an avid fan of J.A. Jance's work. I was not as familiar with her main character Ali Reynolds, Journalist as I was with the Beaumont character and her other character Sheriff Joanna Brady, but I dug into with anticipation and I was not disappointed.

This plot involves our heroine Ali Reynolds being approached by a woman, Alexandra Munsey, who is trying to enlist her aid in finding a kidney donor for her son. Her son
Suzi
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The is the best Ali Reynolds yet and I love them all. Flashbacks and back story are handled very well.
I love the character development, of good guys and bad. Great ending as well. Easy to see Frig taking a major role -- she's growing on us all. DNA and AI, yea!
Cheryl
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just realized that I haven't read any books in this series. I thought I had read at least a couple books. Well after having a great time reading this book, I do plan to go back and check out the prior novels.

Ali is great. I like that she did not get scared easily, even when her life was being threatened. She related and connected to everyone she met. Thus the reason she had made a good reporter. When it came to Edward; I could hear his voice loud and clear in my head. In fact, I could hear al
Rick Molitor
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great story teller. Once again an Ali Reynolds adventure has you racing to find out exactly what is happening. A real treat as are most of J. A. Jance's books.
Nancy
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
3.5 stars.
This story is good overall, but it contains a huge amount of back story. Too much back story. It also has rather too much repetition and, in places, editing errors. Details were changed in some places but not in others.

Again, I liked the overall story but the best section was the final third of the book. It was tough going getting to it.
Robin Loves Reading
Ali Reynolds had a successful broadcasting career. But she had good reason to retire ten years ago. Life has been good to Ali. Not only does she have a new husband, but they have a growing cybersecurity business. Saddened by the news of the death of an old friend brings Ali's old career front and center. Not only is Ali traumatized due to the death of her friend, Ali herself may be in danger.

The story that started it all was due to an Dr. Edward Gilchrist, an uncouth fertility expert who was us
Book Him Danno
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
J. A. Jance is able to start off the book with characters who bring a chill down the readers spin wondering what they are capable of doing while they are behind bars.

The story is well crafted from the characters who have passion to find the truth. The Villains are dark and ripped from the headlines of news.

J.A. Jance is able to blend fact ad fiction weaving between characters who become more and more real as the story progresses. The author the ability to bring the world she created in technico
Rebecca
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This was definitely one of her 'light' books. The back story took up more of the book than I found necessary. Since I really like Ali and her crew I was disappointed that they figured so little in the story. Also the backstory was told by repeatedly every time a new character was brought into the loop. Yada, yada, yada. The story was an interesting take on the fertility industry. I just wished it had not been so repetitive.
Janet Duncan
Disappointed

I have read all of J. A. Janice’s books and this one was very disappointing. The first part of the book dragged. I knew it was to set up the Progeny Project for the last part of the book but the book dragged, and I almost gave up but then the second part got “a little” bit better. Hopefully the next book will be better!
January Gray
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book in a series, but if you pick this one up first, you will not feel like you are missing anything! Perfectly written, and will hold your attention from cover to cover!
Elizabeth
Title:The A List
Author:J.A.Jance
Series:Ali Reynolds #14
Genre: General Fiction ( Adult)
Pages:352
Publishers:Gallery Books
Netgalley

book synopsis
More than ten years after the abrupt end of her high-profile broadcasting career, Ali Reynolds has made a good life for herself in her hometown of Sedona, Arizona. She has a new house, a new husband, and a flourishing cybersecurity company called High Noon Enterprises, where her team of veritable technological wizards hunts down criminals one case at a time
Donna
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
When parents begin looking for medical records from a fertility clinic, Dr Edward Gilchrist's world starts to fall apart. His wife Dawn takes off and files for divorce because she knows all about the bogus donors as she participated in the scheme. Edward goes to prison and makes a list of all those he wants to take revenge upon. He tattoos the initials on himself-- A list -- Annihilation List and makes a big X on each as they are killed. D -- Dawn the bimbo ex-wife. L -- Leo, the gangbanger who ...more
Maxine
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ali Reynolds now runs a security firm with her husband but before this, she had been a broadcast news reporter. Her last report before she was pushed out due to her age concerned a woman whose son had kidney disease. He had been conceived by in vitro fertilization and his mother was trying to find a possible sibling who would be willing to help. She did find the help she needed but in the process, she uncovered some terrible secrets of the doctor who owned the clinic eventually leading to murder ...more
Linda Munro
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is from the Ali Reynolds series.

Long after Ali has left the west Coast moving back to her home town of Sedona, Arizona, her high profile life as a newscaster revisits her. This time, the last show of her career is making a deadly reappearance.

This time Ali is not helping to find a donor for a dying youth, this time she is watching her friends slowly die in strange circumstances. What Ali does not know about these deaths could kill her.
Ron
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very satisfying book to read.
3 no 7
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“The A List” by J A. Jance is book fourteen in the series featuring Ali Reynolds. Regular readers will appreciate the reconnection with Reynolds’ past, and new readers will easily follow along because all the needed information is included in the context of the narrative. The book opens with a chilling prologue; prisoner 74506, sentenced to life without parole, seeks payback. He has a prison tattoo of his “A list,” those he will kill, and Ali Reynolds’ name is the last on the list.

The narrative
Andrew Langert
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a galley if this book, due out in April of 2019, from NetGalley.
J.A. Jance has written dozens of mysteries/thrillers. Previous to this one, I had read just two of her works. This is a solid, fast-moving, albeit predictable story.
With the current interest in the use of DNA to determine ancestry, we are starting to see the funny things that can happen when artificial insemination is utilized. In The A List, a doctor whose practice is built upon artificial insemination engages in fraudul
Betty
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
J. A. Jance has been one of my favorite authors since the late 1980s. Ali Reynolds was a TV Anchorwoman for a major Los Angles network until unfairly dismissed. She returns to Sedona, Arizona to rebuilt her life. She now married to a cybersecurity expert B Sampson and co-owns a company called High Noon Enterprises.
In 2008 Dr. Edward Gilchrist is found guilty of murdering his wife and sent to prison for life. He created a list that includes all those he feels responsible for his sentence. He incl
Lizard
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok

I almost didn't finish this. When a character literally screamed "Nooooo!" at the sky in distress, it got very difficult to take things seriously. And everything felt incredibly slow and directly presented. It seems recently whenever I read something labelled a "suspenseful thriller" it ends up feeling to me anything but that.

This book spends a lot of time on what felt to me like trivial details about characters' lives. I assume the point was to flesh them out and make them feel more l
Play Book Tag: The A List by J.A. Jance - 3.5 stars 1 10 May 01, 2019 07:41PM

• Blood Oath (Alexandra Cooper, #20)
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #5)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • Skin Game (Teddy Fay, #3)
  • The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
  • The 18th Abduction (Women's Murder Club, #18)
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
  • Wild Card (Stone Barrington, #49)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Wolf Pack (Joe Pickett #19)
  • The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • The Never Game (Colter Shaw, #1)
  • The Wedding Guest (Alex Delaware, #34)
  • Dark Tribute (Eve Duncan, #24)
  • The Tale Teller
  • One Good Deed
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Perfect Alibi (Robin Lockwood #2)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann

Ali Reynolds (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Edge of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #1)
  • Web of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #2)
  • Hand of Evil (Ali Reynolds, #3)
  • Cruel Intent (Ali Reynolds, #4)
  • Trial by Fire (Ali Reynolds, #5)
  • Fatal Error (Ali Reynolds, #6)
  • Left for Dead (Ali Reynolds, #7)
  • Deadly Stakes (Ali Reynolds, #8)
  • Moving Target (Ali Reynolds, #9)
  • Cold Betrayal (Ali Reynolds, #10)

News & Interviews