Start by marking “How She Likes It” as Want to Read:
How She Likes It

How She Likes It

CEO-in-training, heiress and cosmetics company marvel Isabel Alfonso needs to hire an assistant.

She needs to hire someone who is smart and competent to arrange a trip to Shanghai for her to meet with potential business partners. She needs to learn how to let go of her cosmetics company, in order to take on the CEO role she’s been groomed for her entire life. What she does
Published 2018 by Midnight Books

To ask other readers questions about How She Likes It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How She Likes It

Start your review of How She Likes It
K.J. Charles
This book had a ton of stuff I loved. Isabel is an unapologetic career woman who genuinely doesn't want to give it all up for love. She needs to find her own balance but that's quite a different thing. And she's plump (got a belly, gone up a size) and loves food and that's also fine, and where she dislikes her massive boobs it's a wound of other people's cruelty that can be partially salved by kindness. And her supposed (female) rival is her best friend, a proper complicated female friendship, a ...more
Geri Reads
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

How She Likes It by Carla de Guzman was witty, fun, and a delightful read from beginning to end. There are plenty of reasons why you should read this book. But for the sake of brevity, I will give three reasons why you should drop everything you’re doing and go get this book right now.

The subversion of the classic boss-assistant office romance trope was so well done. I’ve read a lot of books with a male boss and his female secretary. Isabel Alfonso is a career driven woman. She’s a bus
Sionna
I picked this one up because this is one of those rare books where the roles are switched. See, Isabel is the CEO and Adam is the single dad/ her new secretary.
This is a short read, but so, so cute. I enjoyed seeing a single dad absolutely killing it and not at all upset about not being the breadwinner in their relationship.

The chemistry is definitely there between these two. I loved it. They both work and improve for and with this relationship. And since they meet each other before Adam works
Kate
Honestly? “Female CEO” was a trope I didn’t know I needed in my life. And honestly, I don’t know why it took me until now to realize that fabulous, wealthy MCs make for great romance novels, considering how sick I am of alpha male billionaire love interests swooping in and making a hard done by heroine’s dreams come true.

Isabel Alfonso and Regina Benitez (from If the Dress Fits, which I reviewed here!) are the heiresses to Alfonso-Benitez South Holdings, a major conglomerate formed by their fath
Kris Mauna
How She Likes It was an enjoyable and surprisingly steamy read! I'm definitely a fan of Carla de Guzman's writing and this might by my favorite book from her yet.

"They were both standing in the same room, at completely different points of their lives, different ages, and social strata. If not for a random walk-in, they never would have known each other intimately, much less talked like this."

Carla de Guzman knows how to write fleshed out characters that feel incredibly human. And I really lo
Veronica ( moon & coffee. )
A | Loved it. It made me feel the feels but also made me laugh so hard at all the Star Wars references.
JM Cabral
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been an avid fan of Carla De Guzman ever since I read If The Dress Fits last year. I have all of her books, and I've read all of them except We Go Together and Cities. I love the way she writes her stories, and I certainly adore the voices that she gives all her characters, whether they be the main characters or the love interests, even the minor ones. She sure has a talent for writing, and I was elated to be given the chance to read her upcoming novella early and it happens to be my most f ...more
N.G. Peltier
Oh I adored this new book from Carla! Such a fun cute romance! We got a single dad who basically wears his heart on his sleeve and falls easily and an older business woman who is so the opposite of him.

I really liked Adam and Isabel together. I loved that we got a heroine who is the boss and oops accidentally had a one night stand with the guy who turns out to be the one who gets hired as her PA.

From the start there was so much good banter between our two MCs and Adam is a tol soft. Truly. And
Ellie
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved, loved everything about this romance!
Highly recommended read!

This a romanceclass title (a community of Filipino authors who write romance in English, and also the readers of these books) and my first by this author. It was absolutely lovely. I enjoyed everything about it - older successful CEO heroine, younger single dad hero, one night stand and then he ends up working as her assistant. Great fat rep in the heroine, awkward, a bit clumsy giant of a hero. It's practically my catnip and I l
nikki
Apr 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-books
2.5

I'm sad I didn't like this as much as I thought I would.
Lisa
I finished this ages ago but forgot to mark it as Read rip--

The only reason why I didn't rate this a 4 is because I wasn't that invested in the romance (which was also something I encountered in Carla's If The Dress Fits). I love Isabel and Adam as individual characters, and objectively they worked as a couple but I wish I was more into it???? I don't understand @ self???

Other than that, I enjoyed this book a lot. Isabel is a HBIC and I worship her. Also, we met Regina again! I like her better
Lena
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars!
I thoroughly enjoyed this new-to-me author. There are so many good elements in here: a slighter older heroine with the successful career and a younger single dad trying to find his way in life.
The "role reversal" in this book works perfectly, as the author finds a way to show this in an organic way, with an unapologetic heroine that loves her career and an unapologetic dad that loves being a dad and taking care of his daughter.
Things I thoroughly enjoyed in this book:
- both the heroine
Kristin
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an amazing read! Loved the dynamic between the characters and the fact that the main character Isabel was so amazing at her job that I was lightheaded at her strategy sessions & imagining montages of her working. I had visceral & vocal reactions at the assistant-boss dynamic. Absolutely loved it!

P.S. Now I want to know more about her best friend and her marriage.
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~

- Review to come

Review originally posted on my blog with added content Mikku-chan / A world full of words
zaheerah
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, review-copy
RTC BUT THIS WAS CUTE AS SHIT
Raye
I need more settings like this.
This book gave me a powerful, independent Filipino woman owning her own company and bossing life whilst competing for a CEO position against her best friend, who she maintains a great relationship with throughout the competition. Insert a male assistant who loves prioritizing his daughter over career moves and isn't threatened by dominant female success?
Yes yes yes.

Reading that description might make it seem like this book toots its own horn, but it truly doesn't
Ailla Magcamit
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
“He had the most beautiful views in the world on either side of them, but he chose to look at her."

I LOVE reading about Boss Babes; the women who take charge, who knows what they want, and unapologetically grabs it with perfectly manicured fingers.⠀

✨ Big Isabel Alfonso energy, amirite ✨⠀

What made it better is that while she's a force to be reckoned with, we are reminded that she's still a woman who appreciates being appreciated once in a while - and that doesn't make her any less powerful.⠀
Gabbie De Guzman
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
W E R Q

This book made me feel empowered 😭 The MC is so unapologetic about what she wants and I wish I could exude the same energy 😻
aarya
This book really, really worked for me. There were some flaws, but my enjoyment of the book negated them/made me forget them.

Premise:

Our heroine, Isabel, is 30 and one of the heiresses to a large corporation. Her father and his close friend founded the company. Now the reins of succession is in question as only one of their daughters, Isabel and her bff Regina, can be the next CEO. The next CEO will be decided by a board vote and this issue looms throughout the novel. Isabel is not in a happy po
Ezrah (I Heart Romance)

How She Likes by Carla de Guzman was a fun and refreshing read! In fact, it’s my first Romance Class book ever! Obviously, it will not be the last!

First, I just want to say that I have been wanting to read a Romance Class book for a few years now, but there have been multiple things preventing me from reading them. One of it is the fact that I didn’t really read a lot of contemporary romances until this year when I finally dived in and fell in love with the genre!

Now, let’s talk about How She Li
kb
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A headstrong powerhouse of an older woman and an adorable single dad amidst family drama and corporate affairs... whew, where do I start?! Loved the details about running a makeup company and the pains of having a child a little earlier in life. Adam and Isabel are lovable characters, on their own and together as a pair—they're patient, giving and understanding of each other. (AND THE STEAM TOO. WOW. The author took us there~) A lot of introspection and life reflections AND pop culture reference ...more
Ronald Lim
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on my blog!

What I love the most about "How She Likes It" is how it proves that a simple change can immediately revitalize what some may consider a tired trope. How many books have you seen that feature a CEO with an edge and a softer assistant? There's a lot of them, but Carla simply changing the genders gives the book an energy that compels you to turn the pages.

And the gender choice isn't just cosmetic. Isabel isn't a woman who acts like a man. She's simply a woman who
Amanda
Let’s start off by saying Isabel is a fantastic character. She’s unapologetically career-driven. She owns a cosmetics company and is in line to possibly become the new CEO of her family’s company as well. Isabel may want marriage and kids in the future but it’s not a priority for her. She’s fine with casual sex, which his how she first meets Adam. They have a one-night stand and she does her best to learn as little as possible about him.

Adam is sexy (and tall) and kind. He’s a hopeless romantic
Kathy
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kelig!

At first I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but this is a terrific book. A great role-reversal story--there are several scenes that were such takeoffs of old boss/secretary scenes from Harlequin that I almost laughed out loud. But what it really ends up being is a story about compromise, and how easy and how hard a relationship can be--often at the same time. And, mostly, about how HEA is just a bunch of Happy for Nows strung together. If this sounds preachy, I'm telling it wrong. It wa
Lynne
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Joanna
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all, this cover is gorgeous! Second, I loved this romance so much. This one subverts a lot of typical tropes in romance specifically the boss and the assistant trope. Isabel is the boss and Adam is the assistant (hot). I also absolutely loved that Adam just wanted to be a dad and was only working because he had to. I can’t wait to see what Carla de Guzman writes in 2019!
Jm
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love this book’s take on the classic boss-assistant trope. I also like the fact that the characters all have layers - they’re not just good or bad, they have quirks. Even the situations aren’t all black or white. This is my first book from this homegrown (to me) author and I look forward to reading more 😊
Agay Llanera
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading this! I feel like the author enjoyed writing this, too. Banter felt natural and I LOLed at a lot of witty lines. My favorite, of course, is the MC. I feel like she can take over the whole world.
Clarisse David
Oct 18, 2018
Mel González
Sep 14, 2018

• Where Cooking Begins: Uncomplicated Recipes to Make You a Great Cook
  • Mating the Huntress (Monsters and Mates, #1)
  • Making Chocolate: From Bean to Bar to S'more
  • What She Ate: Six Remarkable Women and the Food That Tells Their Stories
  • 40-Love (There's Something About Marysburg, #2)
  • Mango Summer
  • Rafe: A Buff Male Nanny (Loose Ends #1)
  • The Boyfriend Project (The Boyfriend Project, #1)
  • The Roommate
  • A Notorious Vow (The Four Hundred, #3)
  • 鬼滅の刃 1 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 1]
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • The Worst Best Man
  • You Had Me at Hola
  • Project Saving Noah (Flair #2)
  • Love Lettering
  • The Princess Trap
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle, #1)
Author, occasional illustrator, full-time traveler.