Start by marking “Ever Told” as Want to Read:
Ever Told

Ever Told

Published August 29th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Ever Told, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ever Told

Start your review of Ever Told
Linda Strong
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Detective Jill Jennson and her partner Detective Caiden Mathews are charged with investigating the murder of a husband and wife, staying in a vacation home for one week. The only unusual thing about this case ... the bodies are in the bedroom, locked from the inside.

The family staying here consist of 4 brothers, 2 spouses, 3 children and a family friend. The list of suspects is endless. So many secrets ... and lies.

One of the victims was having an affair with another of the family. One brother
Deb
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5. This was a pretty decent mystery. It flowed okay. The skipping back and forth from the present to the past was a bit confusing. I found several typos as well. Thanks to the author and editors for a free copy to review.
Kim
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: booksirens
The overall premise for the story is intriguing and the book jacket is compelling . The story is told by alternating before and after the crime. At times making the flow of the book choppy.

I found several spelling and grammatical errors which unfortunately disrupts the reading.

Dialogue became unrealistic,sometimes overly dramatic when the storyline was attempting to add suspenseful or frightening scenarios.

Having read many many detective, crime, mystery and psychological thrillers in my lifetime
Thelifeofamaka
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Tracy Wood
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, booksiren
A family holiday isn't supposed to result in violent murder, instant orphans or a locked room mystery but for the Harryngton family it's exactly what they find themselves embroiled in as their annual vacation turns to horror, destruction and despair in equal measure.

This is a difficult book to review because while some of it is very good, other parts just aren't. As a first book there are excellent sections which deserve high praise. The two main detectives, Jill Jennson and her partner, Caiden
Susan Angela Wallace
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ever told by Benjamin Bremasi.
When New Hampshire detective Jill Jennson is called to the scene of a double homicide that took place during a wealthy family’s annual vacation, she immediately realizes that this case will be unlike any other. The victims were brutally killed in their locked bedroom with seemingly no way for the killer to enter or leave undetected. The list of suspects is endless. And the possible motives are even more disturbing.
As the case evolves, the investigation becomes
janine
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I honestly dont think I have read a more gripping, thrilling, absorbing, suspenseful, spine tingling and slightly confusing book all year.

From the prologue I was literally on the edge of my seat, inked by chapter 3 that it was time to sit back and get comfy!

The portrayal of each and every character was magnificent, every emotion felt raw and sucked you right in.

The scene setting was perfect for this genre and was so easy to actually picturebeithin my imagination which is a big hit with me.

I
Tam
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book is a gripping psychological thriller which reveals a new twist page after page and layer by layer. So many things seem impossible and just don't add up, and this is what takes the book to an entirely new level of thrill.

If you like dark, twisted suspense as much as I do, you can't go wrong with this book!

*I received a complimentary copy of this book in order to read and provide a voluntary, unbiased and honest review, should I choose to do so.
Precious Sagbodje
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: meh, book-sirens
I can't say I enjoyed reading this story but I'd recommend it for lovers of locked room murder mysteries.

For me the characters felt too flat and I feel that the author distanced himself too much from the story.... irregardless the writing as as readable so that's a plus.

Amy Ingalls
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, book-sirens
Linda Kromer
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it

I love thrillers and mysteries, so I may be prone to enjoy them. My first piece of advice to readers is to skip the Table of Contents with the exception of the Prologue; it is very confusing and you may not think the book is worth your time.
Thrillers and mysteries that give me hints to the culprit or the solution are enjoyable. I want to try and figure it out, but don't want it to be too easy. I was fairly certain I figured it all out, but I was still questioning myself-which is great. The story
Margaret Yelton
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Thrillers are one of my favorite genre's, and overall I found this to be a good read. At times it didnt flow as smoothly as it could, but the characters were realistic and believeable. I enjoy a book that can keep me guessing for at least most of the book. I would recommend this book to others.
Garrett Lee
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
A very interesting and twisted story of murder and its unusual out come

The story when in mulitipal directions, there were several different bad guys but best part was the ending that I never saw until it was explained
Rachel
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
The writing at times was sticky and definitely needed more finesse. The plot was fine but I guessed the "baddie" pretty early on. Characters were well developed and realistic. The premise behind the "locked room murder" for me was solved pretty early on. But,to be honest I would read more by the author because this was a quick read which did not require much thinking. A light "who-done-it" for summer reading.

JIllian Ayers
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great murder mystery!

This was a great read. I couldn’t put it down, and finished the book in one day. I can’t wait to read more from this author.
Jessica Smith
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
You can find this review and all of my others over at www.readbookrepeat.wordpress.com

I received a copy of this book from the author via Book Sirens in exchange for an honest review.

Actual rating 3.5

Detective Jill Jennson is called to a murder, one that doesn't quite make sense. While on a family vacation, a husband and wife were slain in their beds, in a locked room. Tension runs high and the remaining family are suspects, especially when Detective Jennson begins to be stalked and harassed.
Kate
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, book-sirens
Ever Told is a debut novel that tried to do a lot of things in fewer than 200 pages. Many aspects of this book fell short of ideal for me, but twist at the end and the promising story-telling made me more of a fan than not.

A locked door mystery set in one of my favorite locations. Locked door mysteries seem to be less popular at the moment, but they are classic for a reason. Limiting the number of characters allows the author and the reader to get to know the characters and their secrets better.
Samantha
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: booksirens
New Hampshire detectives Jill Jennson and her partner Detective Caiden Mathews are sent to investigate the murder of a husband and wife, whilst they had been staying in a vacation home with their extended family. However the bodies are in the bedroom, locked from the inside.

There seem to be many motives as one by one, secrets come to light as Jill and Caiden investigate this case. One of the victims was having an affair with another of the party. One brother wants to sell the family business but
Honestly  Austen
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Firstly, I have to mention how much I love the name of this novel. One of my favourite parts of reading is finding the exact moment where we learn why the book is named what it is and I love how I had an idea of what it might be but it wasn’t until the last line of the book where the truth of it was actually revealed.

Secondly, I love a locked room mystery and this book gave the reader such a fantastic mystery to solve. I have to admit I didn’t see it coming and was pleasantly shocked by how it
Marie
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
A book of two halves

I am a little torn writing this review because I did enjoy the book, loved the plot and the twist and even enjoyed the jumps in time between chapters (which I really didn't think I would at the start of the book) BUT and this is a huge but, there are massive holes. For example I have never known any detectives who work 9-5 each day, who are called to a crime scene but then rather than investigating and interviewing witnesses they go home for dinner and a good nights sleep!
Teresa Collins
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a review copy of this book from BookSirens and this is my honest, voluntary opinion.
I am SO torn in how to review this book. The twists and turns were awesome and unexpected, which is great. Unfortunately, I can't mention the things I really didn't like because they would be major spoilers, but there are two things that bugged me that I can talk about. The back and forth timeline was both a pro and a con. It was good to see things as they happened instead of having a character relate
J.V. Llàcer
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Benjamin Bremasi has build an amazing and dynamic thriller that will captivate you along this 178-page book.

A wealthy family of four brothers with their wifes and children are sharing their holidays, like every year, but this time it was different. As an Agatha Christie thriller, the big brother and his wife get murdered and none could go inside the scene of the crime. Everyone is suspect.

Jill Jennson and her partner Detective Caiden Mathews will try to find out what happened the night of the
Kate Gnade
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, book-sirens
I received a complimentary copy of Ever Told via BookSirens, in return for my honest opinion.

Ever Told by Benjamin Bremasi is a mystery centered around murder on a family vacation. The families of four brothers (Jack, Tom, Mark, and Andrew) vacation together yearly. Since their parents untimely death many years ago, the four brothers have raised each other and taken over the family business. One morning, it’s discovered that two family members were killed in their sleep, in a locked bedroom.

Kim Anstine
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down. If you are a fan of thrillers and suspense this is a book that you should definitely read. It begins when police detectives Jill and Caiden are called to a vacation house to investigate the murder of a couple who where killed in their bed while they slept during their family vacation. One of the deceased man's brothers admits to killing his brother and wife, but will not say why or who helped him. He also will not tell how they got into ...more
Fawn
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Okay, this started out slow but gained speed and I couldn’t put it down.

However, I felt the book was far too crowded with characters. I never really managed to remember who was related/married/child of who. There were just too many.

The writing overall is good but some of it fell shy of being believable. As an ARC there was much proofreading that needed doing.

What ultimately took away those last two stars was the finale, epilogue, 9 years before chapter, and the 20 years after chapter. I knew The
Christina
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a classic who-done-it mystery. A prominent extended family reunion turns into horror when two family members are found murdered in their beds. But how? The bedroom door was locked from the inside. Its up to Jill and Caiden, the local police assigned to the case, to figure out who did it. But more odd things start happening to them and to others connected to the case, will they be able to solve the mystery before its too late?

I enjoyed this story and trying to piece together the clues
Edi McNinch
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The backward and forward in time was effective but for my tastes there were too many. I found it difficult to connect with the characters with so many flashbacks of the family,the detective with the inner thoughts of the killer intertwined. The storyline will keep you guessing right up to the end but there is foreshadowing of the secrets if you look closely. However, there is a twist you will never see coming that may leave an opening for a sequel. No book report from me, the jacket cover is ...more
Anne G. Kasaba
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book! The dynamic between the family members is intense. The storyline was tightly plotted with some intricate twists that keeps the suspense high throughout the book.

The story centers around a family of four brothers, their relationship to each other, their secrets, and ultimately the murder of the eldest brother and his wife. It is a locked room murder that takes place on a family vacation, causing the police to be suspicious of all the people staying at the house at the time. Adding to
Bev
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-read
In the book Ever Told by Benjamin Bremasi, the story starts with a double homicide. As the investigation gets going deeper and deeper into the victims' personal life, secrets are divulged and the suspect list doesn't seem to have an end. But that isn't the only thing going on in this story. Someone is out to stop the Detective from solving this case, and that someone could be on the inside. A very intense thriller by an author I have not read before. There are some editing problems, but that ...more
Hannah Kinsey
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!!! This book was binge read in one day. I could NOT put it down! The amount of detail that was put into this book is great. I appreciated the author explaining the setting and each character. I literally felt like I was inside this story. The ending was FAR from predictable!

There were several typos throughout the book, but not enough to take a star away. I cannot wait to read more books like this from this author!

I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review

• Second Chance (Bram Carver Thrillers Book 1)
  • The River Girls (Mercy Harbor Thriller, #1)
  • A Predator and A Psychopath
  • Taking the Plunge
  • The Loop
  • The Little Tragedy
  • Her Missing Child
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • The Last Girl (Detective Arla Baker #5)
  • Merciful Secrets (Whispering Pines Mystery #8)
  • The Holy City Murders (Duke Dempsey Mystery)
  • They Thought He was Safe (Zachary Goldman Mysteries, #5)
  • What He Did (Detective Rachel Hart Book 2)
  • Cabin 1 (Steele Shadows Security #1)