Start by marking “An Armful of Animals” as Want to Read:
An Armful of Animals

An Armful of Animals

Malcolm D. Welshman has had a lifetime filled with exciting encounters with animals. As a lad in Nigeria, he is attacked by soldier ants and terrified by a snake in his treehouse. His treasured companion, Poucher, an African bush dog, prevents him and his mother from being savaged by baboons.
Once qualified as a vet Malcolm has to attempt life-saving surgery on his beloved
Published August 31st 2018 by Midas Touch Books

To ask other readers questions about An Armful of Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Armful of Animals

Start your review of An Armful of Animals
Beth Haslam
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As an animal lover, I was looking forward to reading this book and was captivated from page one. An Armful of Animals opens with remarkable tales about the author’s adventuresome childhood in Africa and his relationships with a variety of animals. Some are scary, others downright eccentric and then there is the special bond he develops with his faithful dog, Poucher.

A change in his father’s military posting results in the family’s return to England. Malcolm trains as a vet, and it is his career
Andy Hewitt
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Malcolm is a very good story teller. His tales from his youth when he discovered his love for animals and from his later life when he practiced as a vet kept me amused from start to finish. I will be reading more from Malcolm.
Valerie Poore
What a delightful memoir this is. Anyone who loves Gerald Durrell and James Herriott is bound to enjoy Malcolm Welshman’s collection of stories. I won the book in a draw and started reading it straight away. I absolutely loved the first two chapters, but then I am obsessed with anything to do with Africa. As Malcolm spent several years as a child in Nigeria, the very first pages had me riveted as they describe his early life there. From the parrot he acquired from a man in the market to his wond ...more
Lozzi Counsell
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was honestly such a joy for me to read. I am a big animal lover and reading all Malcolm's stories about how animals have played such a big part in his life was very heart-warming.

It is a book with many ups and downs, but the good definitely outweighs the bad. I shed many tears during the reading of this, including tears of happiness and sadness. The animals weren't just 'dogs' 'cats' etc. they were ALL individuals with their own personalities and I loved learning about each and every one of
Brigid Gallagher
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, travel, animals
Malcolm Welshman writes with a gentle humour of his lifelong love of animals. I particularly enjoyed the chapter on his boyhood jaunts to watch wildlife, and keeping a Nature diary.
The author shares stories of his beloved dog Poucher, and his early adventures in Nigeria, emergency surgery on his pet parrot Polly, an escaped Anaconda...
Life as a vet holds challenges in human form too, with a varied cast of characters adding to this memoir's charm.
Julie Haiselden
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘An Armful of Animals’ is the latest book from retired vet turned best-selling author, Malcolm Welshman. This time he opens his casebook and intertwines tales from his surgery and travels with reminiscences from childhood. We meet his parents, an assortment of colleagues and neighbours along with the marvellous Maxeen, his loving wife who has been at his side throughout many an adventure.

The structure of the book is straightforward with each chapter devoted to a different time and place, usuall
Hal Len
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I started An Armful of Animals by Malcolm D. Welshman months ago – around New Year 2019. Then I read other books and this one was left with no attention at all. Becoming and Anne of Green Gables took my attention first, and The Testaments and Christmas Shopaholic lately! Why on earth did I get back onto An Armful of Animals then? It was a combination of a sore wrist, memory of a walk with a keen big puppy, painkillers clouding my brain and having to sit for a while. I needed something light and ...more
Louise
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful memoir written by a retired vet who first recalls his encounter with Nigel the Newt as a young boy. He goes on to tell us about his lifelong affinity with animals, stretched across several continents, and from both a personal and professional perspective.
There is Polly the African Grey parrot, acquired in Nigeria where Malcolm’s father was based in the army. She was bought to England and loved to torment the poor little Maltese dog called Yambo by imitating the doorbell. She
Linda Hawkswell
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
A heartwarming book
This book about the daily life of a vet and it really made me laugh but at the same time very informative, I loved it. It reminded me a lot of All Creatures Great and Small but in modern times.
Malcolm has always been fascinated with animals of all shapes and sizes and his early experiences in Africa as a child gave him the inspiration to become a vet. When his own Poucher the dog was seriously injured he helped nurse it back to health and that was the day he knew for certain b
Robin Moody
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I Laughed, I Cried

Malcolm's love and respect for animals is evident on each page of this book. His writing flows from one scene to the next in a way that makes it seem effortless. Descriptions come alive. I'm there on adventures, there as he assists in his first operation, which happens to be on his own pet Poucher, a bush dog. I have a squeamish stomach and most times skin over these scenes, but I was right there with him and he operated on his beloved African grey parrot, Polly.

Some pet owners
Malcolm Martland
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Malcolm Welshman – An Armful of Animals

Most vets acquire a vast collection of memories from their patients and owners, humorous, sad or just everyday, but sadly these never usually appear in print. Malcolm Welshman has more than made up for that with An Armful of Animals, his 4th novel.

Malcolm draws on his memories of growing up and holidaying in Africa and includes stories of his own pets as well as from veterinary Practice. From a hamster with a magnetic personality to elephants, handfuls of s
Ronald Mackay
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When, many years ago, I first read James Herriot, I was well and truly hooked by a capable vet’s experiences with small and large animals – and with a wide array of local characters – in a familiar and homely Yorkshire. Now, with An Armful of Animals, Malcolm D. Welshman has revived my enthusiasm with a fascinating collection of tales told equally well by a more widely-travelled veterinarian with experience of an even broader array of birds, animals, reptiles and their eccentric owners.
The autho
Julie Watson
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Malcolm, a retired vet writes this humorous and entertaining memoir about the animals he has loved, operated on and cared for. All who give him a love for animals and in time a career as a vet. The animals and stories are drawn from his childhood in Africa through to when he is married to Maxine and working as a vet. Keeping the reader's interest Malcolm writes of the many exotic animals he encounters including Polly the African grey parrot, a camel and a gored ostrich while holidaying in Africa ...more
Laurie
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: we-love-memoirs
This book had me from page one!
In this witty and heartwarming first memoir for retired Vet, Malcolm Welshman, we are treated with humours tales from animals to insects. From his childhood parrot to his devoted dog, Poucher, all the animals he encounters in Nigeria and back in the South of England lead him to becoming a veterinarian.
While combining many stories of his veterinarian years in the clinic and the house calls he made, traversing around the downs in all types of weather to many a pat
Jan
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A heart-warming collection of stories by a retired British veterinarian. Dr. Welshman spent part of childhood growing up in Nigeria, so there are stories about animals and pets there, as well as his vet practice. If you are sensitive to animals like I am (I can't watch Bambi, Old Yeller, etc.), some of the stories have difficult parts - but I got through. There are funny stories, stories about the relationships between people and their animals, and some about difficult animals. Some did bring a ...more
Ruth Dresher-Brown
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr Welshman's memoir of his childhood love of animals, revisited throughout the book, and his experiences and adventures as a vet was very engrossing, frequently hilarious. How fortunate he was raised by parents so amenable to his passion allowing him Polly, Poacher and blessed Nigel. The experiences he gained in Nigeria were vital to him becoming the Doctor he became. His inadvertently becoming the "go to" bird and snake man clearly led to some of the funnier episodes. The cast of characters th ...more
Alyson Sheldrake
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A most enjoyable read
From the first chapter with Polly the parrot, Malcolm had me hooked. This was a charming and enthralling book, full of beautifully-described characters, both human and animal. The animals were the real stars of this book, from Poucher the loyal dog, to the cow that was stuck in a tree, the talking parrot and the magnetic hamster, each tale was told with affection. This book stands out, not only because of the wonderful stories, but because of the skilful way it is written. H
Helen Hollick
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
For animal lovers who enjoy light-hearted but heart-warming stories of what animals - and the vet who looks after them - get up to. Malcolm Welshman writes in an easy, comfortable style that will have you alternatively laughing, shedding a tear or holding you spellbound wondering how the next hilarious or lip-biting, heart-wrenching situation will be resolved.
An ideal suggestion for a stocking filler for Christmas or a birthday gift.
Patti Wilson
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read for pet lovers

I do enjoy a good memoir from veterinarians. This one did not disappoint. Each chapter was devoted to a particular event in Mr Welchman's life as either a pet owner of as a pet doctor. I fell in love with several of the pets including Polly the Parrot.
Robert Fear
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful animal stories

I thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful collection of twenty animal stories, written by ex-vet Malcolm Welshman. They are all superbly written and contain fascinating descriptions of experiences with various animals, from his times as a young boy through to those as a vet in practice. Highly recommended for all animal lovers.
Nick Albert
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Delightful and moving.

As a lover of animals and nature, I found An Armful of Animals to be a delight to read. Malcolm Welshman writes with passion and humour, bringing to life a selection of tales, some funny and sometimes sad. He is a talented writer. I hope to read more.
Pat Ellis
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this memoir by Malcolm Welshman. Lovely ‘tales’ about various pets and patients - from boyhood to ‘vet-hood’ - a gentle read with lough out loud moments. I have no problem recommending this book and I will certainly read more by this author.
Donna Maguire

This is an absolutely delightful memoir and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I loved reading the different stories, the author's descriptive nature and writing style made the book additive for me and I know quite a few people that will love this and I have recommended it to them already.

The author's ability to tell the tales really made this a stand out book for me - five stars from me, very enjoyable and I loved every page!
Ann Patras
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book!
If you - love animals; love Africa; have a sense of humour; any or all of the above, then you’ll love this book.
The tales and tails running through Malcolm Welshman’s life will have you shedding tears of laughter and sorrow. A most enjoyable read, highly recommended.
MRS D J NOBLE
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book fun of animals

Reading about the animals this vet has encountered during his childhood and working life makes this an enjoyable read. Some sad bits too but humour does make life interesting
J
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely easy holiday laugh out loud read . Good insight into the life of a vet seen from both sides.
Throughly loved this light hearted book.
Marie Shirley Griffin
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Dr. Welshman has had a fascinating life, which led him to be a vet.

It's a smart read. Interesting on so many levels.
Melanie Rowley
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Best book ever!

What a talented author nd what a lovely book. Not one chapter that disappoints and saddest thing to turn the last page.
Katrina Hart
My Review of An Armful of Animals by Malcolm D, Welshman.

An Armful of Animals is an interesting read that is written from a vet’s perspective. I liked how each chapter read like a memory recall shared either through pets such as snakes, dogs, and hamsters that came through the practice doors, or through the pets that belonged to the vet himself and how they impacted his life. I think in some way everyone who has owned a pet can relate to the love and some time mishap that the author describes in
Rebecca
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
What a delight this book is. In it the author recounts stories from his childhood in Africa and one experience in particular which made him determined to become a vet.This was when his beloved dog Poucher was horribly injured and he was allowed to assist with his treatment.
He has a wonderfully lively and descriptive writing style which at times had me laughing out loud. Be warned - he is a lover of the occasional pun which may make you groan ! However he can also describe a scene so beautifully

• Love at First Bite: Tales from a Veterinary Life
  • Designer Dogs, Awkward Hugs & a Pigeon
  • Horses, Heifers and Hairy Pigs: The Life of a Yorkshire Vet
  • Tending Critters in the Ridges
  • Patients I Will Never Forget
  • Once Bitten
  • Doc, I Needed You Last Night: The Country Vet
  • South to Barcelona: A New Life in Spain (Barcelona Series Book 1)
  • Blue Ridge Veterinarian - Vettin' in Appalachia