Start by marking “Next Girl to Die (The Calderwood Cases, #1)” as Want to Read:
Next Girl to Die (The Calderwood Cases, #1)

Next Girl to Die

(The Calderwood Cases #1)

Solving the case will avenge her sister—unless the killer finds her first.

It’s been fifteen years since Claire Calderwood’s sister, Rachel, was brutally murdered in their small hometown in Maine. Claire has finally carved out a life for herself as a homicide detective in Detroit, but the past comes calling when the local police back home ask for her help with a murder ee

Expected publication: May 1st 2019 by Thomas & Mercer

Win a Copy of This Book

• Next Girl to Die by Dea Poirier
    Next Girl to Die (The Calderwood Cases, #1)
    Release date: May 01, 2019
    Solving the case will avenge her sister—unless the killer finds her first.

It’s been fifteen years since Claire Calderwood’s sister, Rachel, was brutal

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 2671 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 31 - Apr 30, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Next Girl to Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Next Girl to Die

Felicia Grossman
    I adored Next Girl to Die. The book was totally heart-pounding. I had to finish it, to know what happened. I was totally invested in the Claire and the case. I thought the collision of past and present was really well-down. I never doubted the logic of the case or the story.

What was really special about the book was how well the setting, the small island and town was drawn. I loved the mythology and family histories and culture that the author created. All the little bits which explained each c
    Elesha
    Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I read this book a couple different times during it's creation. Dea has put together a twisty mystery with a main character who never recovered from the disappearance of her sister. Now back in the town where it all happened, Claire is overwhelmed by memories and the need to solve the most recent deaths that are similar to her sister's--if she can stay alive. Throw in a little romance with a sexy investigative reporter, and this book will keep you reading.
    Michelle
    This is a really disappointing review to write. I had high hopes for a new series that I could get into and unfortunately, I am not going to be writing a positive review.

Claire Calderwood is a detective in Detroit who ran away from her small town past. Her older sister, Rachel was found dead when they were teens and the killer never found. She is called back to her tiny island to help investigate a new murder - the body found in the same place as Claire's sister. We follow Claire as she tries t
    Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This was one of those books that I was so engrossed in, I had to keep the Kindle next to me throughout the day to snag every few minutes I could! I was actually angry when pulled away from it! And it was so unpredictable, I had no fewer than 4 competing theories at any given moment. At 94% through, I thought I had it all figured out, and I was wrong!

I think the most compelling part of the book though, lies in the untangling of the lives and lies of the families in the small town. There is someth
    Dan
    Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A gripping psychological thriller, Dea Poirier's debut introduces us to Detective Claire Claderwood, the prodigal daughter of Vinalhaven, returning to town when the local police need her help investigating the murder of a young woman. Claire has her own sense of guilt and dark memories to combat, even as the death toll climbs.

Poirier's prose is terse and suspenseful, capturing the paradoxical claustrophobia of small-town island life. With no shortage of suspects, I was kept guessing about the k
    Sarah Van Goethem
    This book kept me on the edge of my seat the whole way. Packed with a creepy island atmosphere, small town history, a strong but scarred main character, and a romance, this murder mystery kept me guessing every step of the way. Everyone was a suspect. I loved the way the past and the present were weaved together. The prose is simple and the pace is fast.
    Could not put this down, read it in 24 hours.
    Julia Phillips
    Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Fast-paced thriller + main character who's a strong woman + setting on a creepy island community. What's not to love?
    Yawatta Hosby
    Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: crime
    ***Thank you NetGalley for giving me a ARC to give honest review***

I loved this murder mystery. There were so many red herrings that I didn’t guess the correct serial killer until the very end. The suspense had me sitting on the edge of my seat. The author did great with character’s voice. I felt so bad for Claire losing her older sister that I wanted to give her a hug.

The author was also great with setting and description. I’ve never stepped foot in Maine, but I could picture every spot vividly
    Tarrah Marie
    Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    An invoking and well thought out thriller. Dea Poirier takes her time to narrate an elaborate setting and plot that tells her readers a story opposed to delivering a quick adrenaline rush. As the story unwinds, Poirier develops each character with this subtle dark underpinning that leaves a sense of impending mystery surrounding everyone in the novel. The main character has been perfectly crafted for a premier novel in the series. Poirier has given enough contextual material for the reader to co ...more
    Noelle Brighton
    Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Exquisite writing! Ms. Poirer created a masterful suspense that kept me on the edge of my seat and introduced me to characters that I fell in love with. I savored the story, wanting it to last, but near the end the pages were turning faster and faster as the climax approached. The ending was cathartic in more ways than one. This is one of those books that you want to read slowly because you just don't want the story to end but at the same time, you can't put it down! Highly recommend!
    Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Wendy Heard
    Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    THE NEXT GIRL TO DIE is a smart, fast-paced, and intensely well-written procedural thriller, and it takes place in one of the best settings I’ve had the pleasure of reading in a long time: a lonely island off the coast of Maine. The island has more secrets than residents, with each character more ominously suspicious than the last. Poirier is a diabolical plotter, and this tight debut is fraught with tension and mystery.
    Avid Reader
    Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Next Girl to Die (The Calderwood Cases #1) by Dea Poirier
    5 stars
    M/F Thriller
    Triggers: Murder, Kidnapping
    I was given this book for an honest review by Wicked Reads.

Claire is from a small town where her sister was brutally murdered. When a new murder is committed that is eerily like her sisters, Claire is called back to her island, small town to help solve the case.

Noah is a reporter who knows far more about these cases and wants to help. I found his character almost endearing because of how much
    Daniela Petrova
    Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Great detective mystery with a strong woman protagonist. Packed with twists and turns, it kept me turning the pages until the killer was finally revealed at the end. Detective Calderwood is a very compelling character and her personal connection to the murders made the stakes that much higher and the story more poignant. Can't wait for the next book in the series.
    Rebecca Oberholtzer
    This book kept me on edge the entire read. This is my kind of mystery. Girls keep dying, who is doing it???? Mix in a little romance and family dysfunction, makes for a great book. I would definitely be recommending this and can't wait to ready a sequel!
    Michelle
    Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Enjoyed

Well written with just the right amount of descriptive detail and a great story Line about a female detective having to go back to her roots to solve murders of young girls with a bit out romance thrown in.
    Kimberly
    Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This was a very interesting first book of a new series. I love detective stories when the main character has their own personal reasons for wanting to solve the case. The past moves to the present and it shows that secrets don’t remain buried for long.
    Andrea Copley
    Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book is exactly the type of police procedural I love to read...and I was not disappointed! Next Girl to Die was filled with suspense from beginning to end. I enjoyed the book and will look forward to additional stories in the series.

The book follows Detective Claire Calderwood as she returns to her hometown in Maine. Her sister was brutally murdered fifteen years before, and now a similar murder has been committed. There was some lack of details fleshed out about Claire's return home--inclu
    Lyn
    Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: mystery, crime, suspense
    My thanks to the publisher for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for a fair review, and to NetGalley for facilitating.

I read this book in two sittings. It would have been one, but it was two in the morning and I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. When a book pulls me in and keeps me reading like that, I'm a happy girl. Now, the reasons why.

The characters and plot gripped me, but the questions presented at the outset demanded answers. The author doles out bits of information little
    Lynda Kelly
    Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: deleted
    This was my Kindle First monthly choice and it was a tough choice this month for me. However, I think I selected the wrong one......I read as far as page 47 in this but then gave up on it. Yet it's really hard to describe what I don't like about it. The writing seems oddly juvenile to me, like it was written by someone very young or for a younger audience than me.....lines like "Another death in this park makes my skin crawl, and a bad feeling makes my stomach roil." Maybe it's just me as writin ...more
    Judi
    Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This is the first in a series and first read of this author. I really enjoyed this one, lots of action and keeps you guessing what is going on!

Detective Claire Calderwood is returning home at the request of the local police force. They have two girls that were missing and now found dead and they are hoping for Claires help. She has been working in Detroit on the homicide department and they need her help in this one, as 15 years ago, Claire's sister, Rachel was a victim also..They think these mu
    Jenn Brouwer
    Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thank You to Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
    I thoroughly enjoyed this book, the characters were well developed and like-able, the story line was solid and suspenseful and it held my attention start to finish. We follow Claire through her journey through her past in reliving that fateful night her sister died and her present trying to catch a killer whose methods match those of her sisters killer. The only complaints i have is that i found the story a little slow pace
    Eva Seyler
    Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Well I definitely didn’t just stay up until 2am to finish this, nope, not me... *shifty eyes* SO good. So creeptastic.
    Cindy ~
    The bones for this book were good. Strong, likable heroine, a good mystery with suspense and a sick and twisted killer. But it was lacking in flesh. For me it bordered on being choppy. It lacked fleshed out details between one scene to another. One minute she is a homicide detective in Detroit and the next she is on a ferry returning home after 15 years to help local police. No mention of did she quit her job or take a leave a absence – we the reader were just left of out what happened in betwee ...more
    Jeanette Porcaro
    This nail biting thriller is everything you would ever want in a murder mystery. It grabs you in and keeps you guessing until the end. I have never read any of Dea’s work but after reading this novel I am going to have to start! The touch of a steamy romance wasn’t bad either. This was easily a 5 star novel and is one of my favorite thrillers thus far for 2019. If you are a murder mystery enthusiast like I am then pick up this book when it comes out in May!

Brook Monaco Barker
    Love a book with a strong-willed female protagonist, especially in a story which grabs my attention from the first chapter. I couldn't put this book down and wasn't expecting all twists along the way. Will definitely recommend this book.
    C
    Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    The publisher provided me with a digital review copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley for facilitating the exchange.

Review score: 3.5 stars out of 5, rounded up

In Dea Poirier’s debut novel, Next Girl to Die, a strong willed female detective returns home to face her past. She’s drawn back to the remote island town of Vinalhaven, Maine, by a request to join a murder investigation. Said case features an MO that is so very similar to that of her sister’s murder
    Shana Kelly
    Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Next Girl to Die has a very familiar feel for those that have read Sharp Objects or the Tracy Crosswhite series. A pretty quick moving plot, yet well developed characters. I thorough enjoyed this book and look forward to the next installment by Dea Poirier!

Thanks to Thomas and Mercer and Netgalley for this ARC.
    Paul Grealish
    Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
    With 'Next Girl to Die', author Dear Poirier hasn't just written a thrilling murder mystery, she has crafted a deep, rich fictional world in which it takes place.

Detective Claire Calderwood, still haunted by the death of her sister years before, returns to her unhappy hometown of killer Vinalhaven to pursue a killer. What follows is more than a mere procedural. Against a gothic backdrop of broken people and sullen skies, the author weaves in complex family histories and an interesting romantic s
    Christine Marie
    I want to thank Netgalley for the opportunity to read this ebook ARC in exchange for my personal review and opinion of this novel.
    We started off with a heart pound and amazing story of a sister who is a detective and was asking to investigate recent murders that happen in her hometown, this little island in Maine. The more I read the more I wanted to know who the murder was and how everything was connected. We travel the journey of an emotional roller coaster with the Detective Claire, sadly th
    • The Whisper Man
    • An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera, #1)
    • The Red Labyrinth
    • Temper
    • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
    • Songs from the Deep
    • Before the Broken Star
    • Sweet Dreams
    • The King's Questioner
    • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder
    • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
    • Last Girl Lied To
    • Dear Wife
    • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
    • Seven Devils (Seven Devils, #1)
    • There Will Come a Darkness (There Will Come a Darkness, #1)
    • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
    • Nameless Queen
    Dea Poirier was raised in Edmond, Oklahoma, where she found her passion during a creative writing course. She studied computer science and political science at the University of Central Oklahoma. She later spent time living on both coasts and traveling the United States before finally putting down roots in central Florida. She now resides somewhere between Disney and the swamp.