Start by marking “Rock and Roll Woods” as Want to Read:
Rock and Roll Woods

Rock and Roll Woods

Kuda is a bit of a grump who doesn’t like change. So when he wakes up to new neighbors and loud, strange noises in his woods, he is not happy. Will his desire to be with his friends overcome his objections to loud sounds? And might Kuda’s courage help him discover that new things and rock and roll music can be pretty great? Featuring helpful backmatter about Sensory ...more
Published October 5th 2018 by Clear Fork Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Rock and Roll Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rock and Roll Woods

Start your review of Rock and Roll Woods
Jon Nakapalau
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with wonderful art! Both children and adults can learn from this simple yet well researched story.
Teresa
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this sweet tale about adjusting to changes and gentle friendship, kids (and even adults) will be able to relate to charming Kuda bear who needs some time to get used to new noises and new neighbors. The story is complemented by bright but soft illustrations and offers helpful guidance in the back matter for parents and teachers to understand and help kids who may have disabilities that prevent them from adapting quickly to new things.
Sharon Coffey
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: newest-reads
Our lovable main character, Kuda, is a bear that loves the quiet, soft sounds that live in the trees and streams of the woods. Then . . . new noisy neighbors bring Rock & Roll to the woods. Kuda doesn’t like how their music changes the peacefulness of the woods. Read this sweet, humorous story to find out how perspective and patience can transform.

Sensory Integration can be challenging to many children and adults alike. Those that struggle with this will see themselves in Kuda. Every
Cheryl
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kuda likes his peace and simple noises of the woods. Being noise sensitive, I can relate!. But new neighbors move into the neighborhood and start making a new type of noise -- loud and booming. Kuda doesn't like the new noises. They are too loud and hurt his ears. He hides away, covering his ears, but the sound keep coming through. The new neighbors throw a party. Kuda, missing all his friends, goes and watches from outside. But soon he can't help but feel the beat and start moving to the music ...more
Gayle Krause
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The delicate balance of sensory overload is beautifully addressed in Sherry Howard’s ROCK AND ROLL WOODS. Loud noises can trigger certain children to feel overwhelmed or upset and Kuda, the bear, represents these children perfectly. When he wakes one morning to BOOM, WHAPPA, WHAPPA, his quiet world turns upside down. He doesn’t like loud noises and seeks relief in his cave with earmuffs and blankets. None-the-less, it persists to echo throughout the woods and his friends jump and jive to the ...more
Mary Uhles
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a child who never could stand the sound of bangs and pops and booms in movies and TV I can identify with Kuda in his struggle to find peace in the woods after his new noise neighbors move in. Sure they are playing a rocking set but change can be hard. It can also be lonely as Kuda's friends all run off to bop with the band, leaving him out of sorts and alone. It takes a bit for Kuda to relax and lean into the music but when he finally does he discovers he can make his own music... and enjoy ...more
Sara Fajardo
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I related to this book on a lot of levels. I love being in nature enjoying the sights and sounds and feel chagrined when loud noises interrupt my thoughts. Kuda's reactions to the new neighbor's music were charming. The slow build up of tension as he tries to find ways to block out the noise and the slow letting down of his guard and discovering new ways to enjoy himself was touching. The repetition of Boom Whappa Whappa and descriptions of the other sounds painted a vivid soundscape that made ...more
Evelyn Bookless
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BOOM! Whappa, Whappa! What an awesome picture book from Sherry Howard!
My son really enjoyed Rock and Roll Woods and related well to Kuda the Bear who didn't like loud, new noises, but grew brave with time. This book is full of heart and it was lovely to see the love, support and friendship between Bear and Rabbit. The ending when Kuda eventually faces his fears and finds a way to embrace the noise is just perfect. A super read for any child and especially for those with sensory integration
Danielle Dufayet
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Poor Kuda. I, too, much prefer the sounds of nature, but then again I love a good beat! I was thinking Kuda was never going to join the party - then, he picks up some sticks and finds his rhythm after all - with a little help from his friends. I was happy to see Kuda open up to something new and embracing it because that's what life is all about - trying new things that you think you won't like...then you do!
Meera Sriram
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this fun and meaningful read, Kuda bear who likes his quiet, wakes up to new and musically noisy neighbors in the woods. He squirms, resists, walks away... until he stops, tries, and learns to tap to the beat and dance to the tune of his friends! Offering a relatable experience to kids with sensory challenges, this story is sure to help kids empathize with their peers that take time to adapt to change. Great book for read-aloud and classroom discussions. Kudos to Kuda, kudos to the author!
Vanessa Keel
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book very much. The illustrations are fun and Kuda is a loveable bear. We've all experienced loud neighbors and at times want to curl up and cover our ears. I love how Sherry uses this experience to showcase how children with sensory integration issues feel. We can relate as parents. I'm glad Kuda not only adjusts to the rock & roll scene that hits his woods but actually starts to love it. This is a book that will make your heart thump.
Heather Montgomery
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A powerful book for helping children understand (1) overcoming a challenge or (2) being empathetic for others who are have a sensory integration issue. In this sweet story, one grumpy bear grumbles about the new noise in his neighborhood until, little by little, he is sucked into the joy of creating music with his friends. I particularly appreciated the author's note about sensory integration issues.
Suzie Olsen
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is really cute! I hate using the word cute, but I can't think of a more fitting word. The woodland animals ooze cute, and I enjoyed how the bear resisted the music as it was too loud. So many kids find live music too loud, so what a good way to connect with kids. I loved the ending though, but I don't want to give it away! If you like cute woodland animals and rock and roll, this book is for you and your child!
Melissa Stoller
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A rocking debut from Sherry Howard! Kuda bear doesn't love loud noises and that's exactly what he's hearing in his neck of the woods. Kids will love seeing Kuda adapt to change, and also learn that sometimes loud sounds, music, and drums aren't so bad after all. Adorable illustrations by Anika A. Wolf enhance the story that kids will ask for again and again. And parents will appreciate the underlying layer that can be applied to children with sensory integration issues.
Janie Reinart
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Sherry Howard is a master storyteller. Her passion for writing for children comes to life in her delightful story, Rock and Roll Woods. A great read aloud, onomatopoeic words—((Boom Whappa Whappa)), whoosh, swish, thumpity-thumped—dance through the story. The characters embrace the universal themes of friendship, kindness, and acceptance. Kuda’s bravery to try something new will encourage readers to do the same.

Sophia Gholz
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
“They swirled and twirled, dipped and dropped, clapped and stomped.”

A playful story about a grumpy bear and his quest for quiet. This musical tale will have children dancing and clapping right along with each “Boom Boom Boom!” This is a great read aloud coupled with adorable illustrations that everyone will enjoy.
B.J. Lee
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kids will cheer when Kuda finds his groove. A fabulous book for children who are overly sensitive to stimuli of various sorts, or on the autistic spectrum. Howard does a great job with the storytelling and the illustrations are a delight.
Pj
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is very cute. The illustrations go well with the dialogue in this heartwarming tale of overcoming fear of change and coming together as a community.
Viviane Elbee
Adorable illustrations and funny refrain - "BOOM - whappa whappa" that had the kids laughing and repeating along.
Young kids who like music and silliness may enjoy this one.
Elaine
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The refrain- BOOM - WHAPPA WHAPPA- will have kids begging for more. Lots of fun use of onomatopeia in this fun read-aloud for young children. Adorable illustrations to boot!
Eleanor Peterson
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Bear and I have something in common; we don’t like noise. But although Bear hates loud noises, deep inside, he wants to be part of the fun. Beautifully illustrated.
Raven Howell
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet, enchanting book for children! Five stars - perfect for "family reading night" or sharing.
Nick
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is an odd little book, perhaps better intended than executed. I enjoyed the story a great deal, which seemed to be about a bear learning to like something new. Then, as an afterword, the author turned it retroactively into something else, which felt strange. I have no problem with a story that teaches about sensory overload and its place on the autism spectrum, but this story didn't seem to be about that. The story was written in a way that suggested that bear simply didn't know or like ...more
Alayne Kay
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Being a nature lover who has mild sensory sensitivity, I can relate to Kuda when the BOOM Whappa Whappa takes over the gentle sounds of the woods. And I feel for him when he finds himself alone trying to shut out the new sounds. The onomatopoeia used throughout the book makes it a fun read aloud, and the illustrations are perfect the young listeners’ curious eyes. There are a couple of layers in this story, and the author explains them in the back of the book. She also includes information about ...more
Lana
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is an adorable picture book about a bear named Kuda that starts hearing some loud and new sounds in the woods. He doesn’t like the loud noises, especially unfamiliar ones. He tries to block out the noise any way he can with no luck. Finally he discovers what the noise is all about, and that maybe it wasn’t so bad after all.
The illustrations are wonderful and I love the author’s note at the end of the book. She talks about children with sensory integration issues and how she wrote the book
Susan
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb-dv, picture-books
Kuda the bear likes soft sounds, so when a rock-and-roll-loving animal moves to his neighborhood, he doesn't like it one bit. Can he learn to appreciate rock and roll? Using fun woodland creatures and a few bear puns, Sherry Howard weaves a story that will be relatable to anyone who's wished for quiet, and especially those with autism or sensory integration issues (as she explains in the back matter). I also adore the illustrations and a found a few more puns in those.
Laura Lavoie
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Kuda the bear doesn't like his noisy new music-playing neighbor. This is a great read to help understand sensory sensitivities. Beyond that, Kuda is a sweet character and the repetition of the musical beat throughout is fun for kids to repeat. A big hit with the little ones in my household!
Lauren Kerstein
Kuda is a loveable, relatable character! I absolutely loved witnessing Kuda's growth and courage in this wonderful story! I highly recommend Rock and Roll Woods for home and classroom reading! This book is inspiring and a lot of fun!
Mic
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We really enjoyed this book! Great story and adorable illustrations.
Jolene Gutiérrez
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kuda the bear doesn't like the loud noises the new neighbors are making. He doesn't like new things in general. But all of his friends are really enjoying the neighbors' music. . .will Kuda try something new?

• Daddy, Can You See the Moon?
  • Pippa's Passover Plate