Start by marking “Rise (Rule, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rise (Rule, #2)

Rise

(Rule #2)

Sisters Akeylah, Ren, and Zofi are all a step closer to their dying father's throne, a step closer to the crown that will allow one of them to rule over Kolonya. But the sisters' pasts continue to haunt them. Each hides a secret marked with blood and betrayal, and now their blackmailer is holding nothing back. When King Andros discovers the sisters' traitorous pasts, the c ...more
Published June 11th 2019 by Little, Brown Books For Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rise, please sign up.

Ellen Goodlett
Sep 10, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote-it
A Brief Summary

RULE: wow, some people are horrible.

RISE: ... oh god, EVERYONE IS ATROCIOUS.
Amanda
Jan 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-releases
Thank goodness this one is coming out this year because the end of RULE was just mean.
Tracy Banghart
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such an awesome follow-up to Rule. I love the world that Ellen Goodlett has created, and her sisters. They're just so awesome!! Strong in their own ways, with distinct and interesting personalities. This book had so many twists and turns - I truly didn't know how it was all going to shake out, but I love how it did. Great writing, great characters, great world.
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Wait, Rule, which I still have to read, just came out today. But the sequel already has a cover and a synopsis!? Well dang, this publisher is working fast. Won't read the synopsis for now though cause I don't wanna be spoiled lol
Shelley
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Source* Library
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

Rise, by author Ellen Goodlett, is the second and final installment in the authors Rule duology. Author combines perennially popular fantasy and adventure tropes--a battle for the crown, dark magic, secret heritages--with a romantic, commercial plot, including a central F/F romance. This is the perfect duology for people who like a little bit of Pretty Little Liars with their Game of Thrones. The story picks up immediately where R
Tucker
Sep 24, 2018 marked it as not-released-tbr
what?!? There's a sequel already?!? I haven't even read the first one
Crazy4Books
Zofis fierce and adventurous with a strong desire to heIp her scorned fellow Travelers. Being a Traveler can make life pretty dangerous, but its instilled a fighting instincts in Zofi that will help her keep fighting when all hope seems lost. Akeylahs abusive upbringing has given her the determination and quiet strenght of a survivor. Shes smart and very perceptive. Being able to read people and hide her emotions were often essential to avoid her fathers wrath and now those skills will help her ...more
Beth
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I went into this series not realizing it is a duology, and thinking the first was...ok...it started slow but by the end had managed to capture my attention enough that when the opportunity to read #2 came around, I went for it. I'm quite glad I did, as I honestly liked #2 better. The pacing seemed better, and the main characters came into their own. They faced battles both individually and together, and the fact that they happened to be 3 strong women characters certainly was great. The end (no ...more
Susan Pearlstein
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Professional Reader

The sequel did not live up to the promise of the first book. Let's call it sophomore slump. Ms. Goodlett is a capable writer and no doubt will improve as she gains experience.

My review, as submitted to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette:
Rise, the concluding novel in Pittsburgh native Ellen Goodlett’s debut series, begins right where its predecessor, Rule, concludes. Three half-sisters, Zofi, Florencia and Akeylah, initially strangers to each other, have been summoned to the castle by the gravely ill m
S. Johnson
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brittany (BritReadsBooks)
*I received a copy of this title from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

I have to say that I actually enjoyed this much more than the first book! Where where the first book was lacking character depth, I felt that more was added this time around. I really liked the high stakes and cleverly twisted plot! All the secrets come out and there are some pretty big reveals. Ellen Goodlett does a great job of keeping you guessing and convincing you who the villain is until the moment where s
Ruby
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful continuation! It picks up right where the first book left off, and I wonder if this series was originally conceived as a single novel before being split into two for publication. In any case, I definitely enjoyed both novels, and while the first novel had some rough writing in places, the writing in the second was smoother, and the plot moved at a good, quick pace, to the point I pretty much read the whole novel in one sitting.

Of the sisters, Akeylah was my favorite, and I r
A.R. Hellbender
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
In some ways, this book surpassed the first one (the magic system got really cool, for example). However, the story was a lot less interesting for me now that I’ve already read the first book & seen the world & the characters. So I felt like this 2nd installment brought nothing new to the table, and there was no reason why what happened in this book couldn’t have been added on to the first one.
Also, the “surprise villain” trope has been done to death and is my least favorite trope in exi
Hannah
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ellen Goodlett... you’ve done it again! Rule was excellent (besides the cliffhanger that destroyed me) but you have out done yourself!! You gave the girls the proper ending they deserved and, although I’m sad the story is over, made my heart overjoyed! :)

I loved how the story progressed and all the drama it contained. The character development was excellent and my heart swelled up reading how the girls grew from Rule to Rise.

You’ve made the perfect world and although I’m sad it’s over, you have
Queueofthoughts
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Sequel

I read the first book with low expectations and found myself pleasantly surprised by the fantastic world and characters. The ending of it lead to me having very high hopes for this sequel and I was not disappointed! It had enough intrigue and development on the characters I’ve grown to love to make me a very happy reader indeed. I definitely recommend these books to anyone who enjoys this genre.
Jaimedsworld
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another win for Ellen Goodlett on her debut duo. Every twist, betrayal and secret from the first book Rule only becomes more entangled and crazy in this one. With attacks on the three sisters, no one knows who to turn to, who to trust or how long they’ll survive. This book keeps you guessing till the last page.
Jessica (piscesbooklover)
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reading
I really enjoyed this sequel to Rule that picks up where Rule left off and finishes the stories of the three girls. While I found Rule to be an OK read, I was somewhat disappointed in the book as it held such a promising storyline that I thought could have been executed better. That said, I was interested enough after the cliffhanger ending of Rule to plan on reading the sequel, and I'm happy to report that the sequel really redeemed the story for me.

Rise begins by immediately throwing you into
Meghan L
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
A very good follow up to Rule! Lots of twists and turns in the plot, kept me hanging on wondering what would come next. I approve of (view spoiler) I really enjoyed this duology!
Jen T
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5
Review coming soon.
Becky Roberts
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wrapped

Wrapped up the 2 book series well and in my opinion was better than the first book. I enjoyed.the twists and turns and unexpected surprises.
Jessica Chillcott
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So good. I read it in a day. Loved the sisterly bond and loved that they worked together in the end to put a stop to the blackmailer.
Lola
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this conclusion. I hope one day we will see what Akeylah, Zofi, and Ren are up to in the future.
Alisa Robles
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ohh man. I really enjoyed the ending of this duology. I was so sure that the blackmailer was one person, but it turned out to be someone else that I did not expect! Definitely a page turner for sure.
Kirstie Brown
Jun 18, 2019
Alishia J.
Jul 20, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Winter War Awakening (Blood Rose Rebelion #3)
  • Before the Broken Star
  • Untitled
  • Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)
  • Nyxia Uprising (The Nyxia Triad, #3)
  • Sisters of Sword and Song
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Find Me Their Bones (Bring Me Their Hearts, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled, #1)
  • Queen of Ruin (Grace and Fury, #2)
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
  • War of the Bastards (Royal Bastards, #3)
  • These Divided Shores (Stream Raiders, #2)
  • The Sky Weaver (Iskari, #3)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
Ellen Goodlett writes because otherwise she would spend her days plotting to take over the world. She figures that the former would benefit humanity ever so slightly more than the latter (which would be disastrous and involve a lot of cats in government positions). Her debut novel, RULE, about three girls competing for the throne in a fantasy world, will publish in fall 2018 with Little Brown.

Rule (2 books)