Start by marking “Cryptozoology for Beginners (Codex Arcanum, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cryptozoology for Beginners (Codex Arcanum, #2)

Cryptozoology for Beginners

(Codex Arcanum #2)

The much-anticipated sequel to Sorcery For Beginners is here!

"If you're looking for someone who's got the spell-books covered, you might want to turn to fiction: Matt Harry's Sorcery for Beginners books are a fun getaway for any age." ―BuzzFeed

Six weeks have passed since teenage sorcerers Trish, Owen, and Perry defeated a team of ruthless anti-magic mercenaries called the
Published November 5th 2019 by Inkshares

To ask other readers questions about Cryptozoology for Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cryptozoology for Beginners

Start your review of Cryptozoology for Beginners (Codex Arcanum, #2)
Amy Imogene Reads
3.5 stars!

Part informational, part hilarious, and exactly the type of book that a middle grade reader—or a young-at-heart reader!—would love.

Concept: ★★★
Heart: ★★★★
Enjoyment: ★★★

I picked up Cryptozoology for Beginners without realizing it was a sequel (whoops). However, that being said, this middle grade novel was extremely forgiving with its audience and recapped most of the first book, Sorcery for Beginners, quite nicely. Hooray for recaps!

When student sorcerers Trish, Owen, and Perry discov
Tina
This is a Middle Grade Fantasy, and this is the second book in the Codex Arcanum series. I really loved this book. There are parts of this book that makes me think of Harry Potter. This is a great middle grade book that I think adults will like too. I volunteer at an school library and I like reading middle grade books to talk to the books about the books. I cannot wait to get to talk to the kids about this book. I did win an ARC of this book from a goodreads giveaway, but this review was 100% m ...more
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Confusingly Magical and Diversely Romantic Cryptozoology for Beginners

Sometimes I just randomly pick up a book, having no idea from the cover or premise whether I’ll like it. Cryptozoology for Beginners was one such book. The premise sounded fun if not specifically my thing. Whenever I do this I’m always surprised by which books pay off and which totally fail.

Did Cryptozoology for a Beginners pay off for this Fangirl?
There isn’t a thing wrong with the fantastical, magical world of Codex Arcanum.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Inkshares for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Annie
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Cryptozoology for Beginners is a strange hybrid of a YA "mages vs. technology" fiction narrative wrapped around a "nonfiction" bestiary. It's the second book in the Codex Arcanum series by Matt Harry. Due out 5th Nov 2019 from Inkshares, it's 300 pages and will be available in paperback and ebook formats.

This book starts 6 weeks after the end of the first book in the series with the semi-intrepid crew teaming up with their former nemesis Bryan
Lara Lillibridge
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be delightful, with beautiful descriptive writing, but also humor and drama. There is a Magic School Bus sort of feel to it. The format is enticing, with little sidebar boxes inserted to explain unusual words or fantastic concepts:
“Enchanting Details” (real-life sciencey facts)
“The Codex Arcanum” facts about magic, spells, etc. unique to this story
“Cryptid Corner” Magical Animal facts.

Interspersed in the story are full-page sheets on individual magical creatures (similar to
Marzie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-edelweiss
Review up soon.

I received a Digital Review Copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Seregil of Rhiminee
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Matt Harry's Cryptozoology for Beginners is the second novel in the Codex Arcanum series of middle-grade fantasy novels. This novel is charming escapism and great fun for readers of all ages who love good stories and magical creatures. The author has clearly aspired to make this novel as entertaining as possible and succeeds in it, because everything about the story feels fresh and compelling.

This novel was my first introduction to Matt Harry's fiction. Altho
Kathryn Fletcher
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This delightful book is part fiction story and part cryptozoology information book. There is a well-written story arc to keep fiction readers engaged, but it also has text boxes which define less commonly known words or it contains interesting tidbits of information such as the box above.

Cryptozoology for Beginners
by Matt Harry
Illustrator Juliane Crump
Publisher Inkshares

Trish is a 13 year old girl with a secret…a very personal secret which has already destroyed her relationship with her best fr
babs.books
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“𝕋𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕖 𝕢𝕦𝕖𝕤𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟𝕤,” 𝕣𝕖𝕡𝕖𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕕 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕊𝕡𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕩. “𝕓𝕦𝕥 𝕗𝕚𝕣𝕤𝕥 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕞𝕦𝕤𝕥 𝕒𝕟𝕤𝕨𝕖𝕣 𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕖: 𝕀 𝕒𝕞 𝕟𝕖𝕚𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕓𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕟𝕠𝕣 𝕤𝕠𝕝𝕕, 𝕪𝕖𝕥 𝕔𝕒𝕟 𝕓𝕖 𝕧𝕒𝕝𝕦𝕖𝕕 𝕞𝕠𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕟 𝕘𝕠𝕝𝕕. 𝕀 𝕒𝕞 𝕓𝕦𝕚𝕝𝕥 𝕦𝕡 𝕟𝕠𝕥 𝕓𝕪 𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕓𝕦𝕥 𝕔𝕒𝕟 𝕓𝕖 𝕓𝕣𝕠𝕜𝕖𝕟 𝕓𝕪 𝕒 𝕤𝕚𝕟𝕘𝕝𝕖 𝕞𝕒𝕟. 𝕎𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕒𝕞 𝕀?” - Matt Harry • Cryptozoology for Beginners.
4.5 stars!
‘Cryptozoology for Beginners’ is the second installment in Matt Harry’s Codex Arcanum series. But if you’re starting out of order (like me!), everything is recapped early on, so no worries!
This is honestly a book I wish younger me cou
Elisabeth
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cryptozoology for Beginners written by Matt Harry and illustrated by Juliane Crump captivated my inner child. I had a blast reading it and I enjoyed how entertaining, funny, and educational this book was.
Even thought this book is meant as a sequel to The Sorcery for Beginners, I had no problem reading it as a stand alone. Anything important from the first book was recapped in this book so I did not feel like I missed anything important since I did not read the first book.

Adventure around the w
Tess (books.with.tess)
Wow! What do you get when you take a portion of Harry Potter's magical world, a dash of Percy Jackson's spunk and humor, and add a big cup of Marvel's Doctor Strange's beautiful, magical hand movements and spells? You get the imagination of Matt Harry! (And my new favorite sequel)

I LOVED "Sorcery for beginners" and "Cryptozoologi for beginners" had a lot to live up to in my book. Did it deliver? DID IT EVER!! It exceeded my expectations and my imagination!
In this book we focus on Trish - Big Tri
Kathleen
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a teen fantasy novel featuring all of the creatures you know from urban legends, like the Loch Ness monster and some I hadn't heard of before. The teens are learning magic on the fly as they use it to protect the cryptids from a group that is hostile to them. The creatures are featured in full page vignettes with drawings sprinkled about the book as you read the part of the adventure each one is featured in. There are also boxes on some pages to further explain other aspects and concepts ...more
Rachel
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a free ARC from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review*

I did read this prior to reading Sorcery for Beginners so I really had no idea what to expect, but it had me hooked from page 1. This book was so much more than I was expecting - it has adventure, humor, magic but also touches on more serious issues like coming out, being accepted, conflicts with parents, and standing up for your beliefs and values. Trisha is a great character for younger readers - she's
Cherei
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bestseller, thriller, ya
Cryptozoology for Beginners (Codex Arcanum) by Matt Harry is easily on par with all of the Fantastic Beast/Harry Potter novels! Kids of all ages are going to love this series! All of the characters are fleshed out so well that most readers are going to be able to identify with at least one of the characters themselves! Such a fun book!

Someone is going about ridding the world of "mythological creatures" that actually do exist... just not easily found by humans! Thrilling on-the-go action all the
Sheri
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: won
I won a copy of this book, but this is my honest review.

I am not the target audience for this book, but wanted to read it before giving to my nieces and nephews. I also had not read the first book in the series but although this one tells to make sure to read it first, it didn't seem necessary.

I believe that many kids and adults could enjoy this book. This book is full of magic, danger and animals (possibly not real). Follow along as a group of middle school kids try to save the cryptids of the
Dustin Spencer
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of cryptozoology. I also am just a huge animal lover, so this book really drew me in.

First, I feel like this book is better than the first, maybe its we are getting more of the perspective of Trish instead of Owen, not sure, but the first was already great, so to see it improved upon is awesome.

Second, this book is full of action, and really allowed for us to take a journey with the characters, full of growth from the characters and some surprising twists that I was not expecting
Rivka
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
So lovely people from @inkshares send me this copy of Cryptozoology for Beginners. I finished it last night and It was so much fun. If you’re looking for a fun, action packed middle grade - this is a book for you. It’s a story of three teenage who have to go around the world and save magical creatures from some pretty bad people 🦎🦖🐉 There are drawing of the creatures and side notes all throughout the book. It’s so much fun to read. There is also book one to this series, Sorcery for Beginners but ...more
Barmak Behdadnia
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Generally, a sequel to a terrific novel is never quite as good as the first, but I must say that Matt Harry delivers. He took me on a wonderful adventure while Juliane Crump brought to life a menagerie of magical creatures: some cuddly and others that you would want to meet in a dark wooded area. Well done! Can't wait for the next in the series!
Shianne
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WHAT DID I JUST READ?!?! This book was even better then the first one. I literally can't think right now. I'm also hoping there's a third book. Please? I don't want to spoil but Jacinda was my favorite character. And Trish... And Perry. Oh, and Bryan. I'm never gonna stop, because they were all my favorite!
Real_Tony C.
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: big-books
Halfway through the book, I stopped reading it for a while. I looked for some summaries online to see if I basically read the whole book without actually reading it. Then I went back to the blurb and immediately, my brain forced me to keep reading until the end.

Rating: 4.99
Madison Milaszewski
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
A fun sequel to Sorcery for Beginners. I definitely enjoyed this continuation of the first novel and seeing the characters grow and undertake a new journey to save endangered cryptids. I am thankful for this Goodreads Giveaway!
Annarella
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book part fantasy and part non fiction that kept me hooked till the end.
It's well written and informative, a great read for both adults and children.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Theediscerning
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Downloaded in error (I thought this was my second non-fiction book on the subject in weeks) I stuck with this novel til the end, despite several elements. The sidebars for one have to go down as inherently annoying – forever interrupting our heroes from book one and their search worldwide for cryptids in the face of their enemies. They also make proceedings rather repetitive at times, and only really work once when they suggest we write to our MPs and campaign for more lawful magic – before then ...more
Kathy Ulrich balman
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My 13 yr old daughter is a huge cryptozoology fan. She liked that this book was not only a thrilling story with lots of action and mystery, but that it also included facts, stats, profiles and more on each creature throughout the book. These sidebars added an education aspect to the story. The categories covered science, history, geography and more which we greatly appreciated, seeing as we are a homeschool family. Despite the warning in the front we did not read the first book in this series be ...more
Jenna
Oct 29, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: reviewed
"Cryptozoology for Beginners" is interesting conceptually, but its execution is lacking in depth and tone. Two of the smarter characters speak with the same stilted vocabulary and nuance that they are almost indistinguishable even though one is an adult and the other is an eighth grader. The side bars were intriguing until the reader realizes that they do not enhance the narrative in any meaningful way, aside from shamelessly promoting the first book in the series, "Sorcery for Beginners". Rerea ...more
Katrina Radle
Nicollette Winiewicz
Jun 07, 2020

• Such a Fun Age
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • If You Give A Jerk A Gingerbread (Reindeer Falls, #2)
  • Mooncakes
  • The One Night Stand Before Christmas (Reindeer Falls, #3)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Furia
  • A Pocketful of Lodestones (The Time Traveler Professor, #2)
  • What Science Is and How It Really Works
  • The Unlikely Life of Maisie Meadows
  • The Last Van Gogh
  • Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven
  • Monsters in the Bible: There are Ghosts, Dragons, Zombies and other Monsters in your Bible?!
  • Slow Cooker Thanksgiving: 21 Recipe for a Perfect Holiday (Healthy Recipes, Crock Pot Recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, Caveman Diet, Stone Age Food, Clean Food, Holiday Food)
  • Mortuary Confidential: Undertakers Spill the Dirt
  • Out of this World Truths about the Solar System Astronomy 5th Grade | Astronomy & Space Science
  • The Mouse in the Hammock, a Christmas Tale: A book about Small Acts of Kindness
  • Top Free Stuff Online: Consumer Money Saving Tips freebies freestuff free money free books free entertainment
Matt Harry received an MFA in Film Production from USC’s School of Cinematic Arts, and has worked as a filmmaker, editor, screenwriter, college professor, movie critic, and story consultant. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife and two sons.

Codex Arcanum (2 books)
  • Sorcery for Beginners (Codex Arcanum, #1)