Start by marking “The Fifth Science” as Want to Read:
The Fifth Science

The Fifth Science

The Galactic Human Empire was built atop four sciences: logic, physics, psychology, and sociology. Standing on those pillars, humans spent 100,000 years spreading out into the galaxy: warring, exploring, partying — the usual. Then there was the fifth science. And that killed the empire stone dead.

The Fifth Science is a collection of 12 stories, beginning at the start of the Galact
Published August 24th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Fifth Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fifth Science

Start your review of The Fifth Science
Sam
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly Inspiring

Happened to help change my life, thought I should share.

First I have to say that this book is fantastically written. I’ve long been a fan of Exurb1a’s YouTube videos and I’m so glad that I took the time to start reading his books too. I love how well his sense of humour and ability to trigger an existential crisis have translated across both mediums.

Consciousness, particularly artificial consciousness, acts as the focal point for these stories. While rea
Michelle Bradley

Three
Words.
Abhishek
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In simple words, it is collection of short sci-fi stories that are easy to read and enjoyable. Each story, although different, follows an underlying narrative and philosophy unique to Ex.

In terms of the stories themselves, they each present an interesting thought within them, which one could either think about for some time as a philosophical thought experiment or just enjoy the world crafted by the author.

I think I'd risk spoilers if I reveal the themes of the stories being that the structure
Afonso
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fucking ride!
Jessica
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked it a lot. Some of the writing was a bit scattershot but wow, what concepts
Ilie Simion
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good collection of stories written with the casual characteristic style of Ex (follow his youtube channel if you don't already). Philosophy, humour, spirituality, existentialism mix in each of the stories, all happening in the same universe, at different point in time and space of the human empire, all revolving around the concept of conscience. Characters are all-in-all pretty well portrayed, although some lack depth. You won't care much for them, or remember them for a long time, but they are ...more
Ivan Vuković
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
The cunt can write. Good stuff, definitely recommended ;)
Benno Krojer
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There are books that pretend to be deep and even some that are actually deep but just don't reach and inspire you. This was not one of those. This book made me think about stuff I never thought about before in a very fundamental and beautiful way. All the stories were refreshing and had their unique theme. Each tackled a different core question of human nature.
I love Exurb1a's YouTube channel and think his humour is one of the best I've witnessed in my life. Therefore I enjoyed his style o
Joshi
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
A neat little anthology of stories detailing the discovery of the Fifth Science and how it causes humanity's demise. Easy to read but still manages to deal with very interesting topics and questions (seriously, somebody read this cause I wanna talk about so much from this book)

My favourites were probably the Archaeological story and the "mix of Red vs Blue and The Village" story

Pretty cool, go read it (plus the cover art is beautiful)
JoshuaHartman
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Complete art. From start to finish. Splitting up the timeline into little stories kept it captivating and fresh, and the overarching theme is incredible. Eye-opening in so many ways, from the theories of consciousness to the subtle reminders of our own immorality, there were countless times I had to put the book down and just think about what was being said. Very philosophical but still sci-fi enough.
Daniel Verderese
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining, not amazing

This book, or collection of stories, is very entertaining and thought provoking. Some of the stories are hit or miss though with a few being excellent and some i was just reading to try and get through. I recommend it for people who like physics, sci-fi, and space overall
Roxanne
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Not a fan of short stories, my son got this for my birthday so I didn't know it was short stories. It is well written.
Amy Vavolizza-Runge
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Carson had me read. Very interesting!
Bridget Godfrey
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! I think everyone who has enjoyed any science fiction in the past, or who wants to learn more about panpsychism should undoubtedly pick up this book.

Even if you don’t think you will like it, it is $5 and more than worth a try.
Jonathan Wen
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book discusses the complex sciences, politics, philosophies, and morals of the present and the future. The book is a great mix of suspense, science and facts, humor and much more. The book is a collection of great stories that all wraps up into one epic conclusion. The characters are all relatable and almost like real people and you can truly feel a bond formed between the characters. As soon as I picked up this book I was wrapped up in it and this is one of the best books I've read in a lo ...more
Ben
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As always, Exurb1a delivers bleeding edge food for thought. His writing has become my most anticipated, recommended, and cherished.
Richard
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Fifth Science probably offers a somewhat complete worldview of a Galactic Empire’s deflation and downfall, but its success in delivering a truly original perspective seemed hampered by two significant faults. First, there is the tendency to accentuate the imagined universe with details of our own. This isn’t necessarily a fault, as elements of a familiar universe can help provide grounding for an author’s creative leaps, so my issue has more to do with execution, where the author includes ex ...more
Skyler
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book because it was recommended to me by a friend. We are very into conspiracy theories and how and why the wolrd works, this book does exactly that but in a fun twist. I was expecting this book to me amazing because my friend raved about it and said it covered everything we alsways question. When I read it I was nothing short of satisfied when the book did exactly what they szaid it would. The author chose an interesting way of describing their theories of multiple things, they conv ...more
Dal Fer
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring, thought provoking, and beautiful.

Exurb1a manages to create a science fiction world full of wonder, and mystery. In the format of short stories, "The Fifth Science" intertwines different lives throughout the Human Empire into a single, logical, path.

All of the stories, except for one, have been thought provoking for me, nevertheless they have all been entertaining. Some even made me reevaluate my life priorities, by showing what certain actions (extrapolated in
Ashley Woodrow
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb book.

A Podcast about boardgame lead me to google an unrelated book. Which made me watch a YouTube videi which took me to a science vid and then to a history vid and then to an Exurb1a video about the universe, where I spent over an hour on the channel. Then the Fifth Science showed up as a tailored Amazon advertisment on my Podcast app.

I'm glad that I dedicated part of my 'day out in the cosmos' to reading this. You should read it too.

And yet, for some reason I st
Bieke
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fucking hell, am I glad I read this.
Seriously, Exurb1a never seizes to amaze me. He may never know of my gigantic adoration for him, but that's the point of being human eh?
This book made me reconsider everything I did and did not want to reconsider over the span of four days.

If you have a limited amount of books you could read before death, I hope that you pick The Fifth Science and The Prince Of Milk. If you're ever remotely interested in physics, philosophy or just like
Leo Brown
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely pleasant

Great read. If you find yourself thinking about the meaning of it all, where we might go in the future, or are maybe just a bit bored, definitely give this book a go. It’s not the best or most profound book I’ve ever read, but it’s made me think about things, deep things, in a way that I haven’t in a long time. The tightrope between loneliness in experience and complete awe in the nature of everything always seems a little shorter after I set the book down. And, you know, it’
Suddenly Life
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Sometimes when you're trying to be funny or clever, you dilute your ideas with comic or linguistic contrivances. That's why I was never a fan of Douglas Adams nor was I particularly impressed with this book. The author is obviously very talented and has wonderful mastery of his craft, but sometimes serious thoughts need to be treated seriously. Maybe a coherent novel would've been a better setting for what he was trying to convey.
Claudio Figueiredo
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly good. The stories are independent but have a common thin thread between them. They're diverse, often surprising, deep (mostly) and one of the wildest take on far-future technology I've read since Peter F Hamilton.

As a bonus, if you follow Exurb1a YouTube channel, you'll find some of his most memorable expression and will often find yourself reading something and picturing his voice :)
Gabriel
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is one of the best works of fiction I’ve read. The book is written in the style that is typical of the author’s YouTube material, so are the topics.

It is very thought provoking and emotional (at times). I often ponder the meaning of life and the far future of humankind, but this book has pushed it even further - it is a source of a very diverse set of notions that are worth considering.
Murasakii
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have really enjoyed this stories as much as I enjoy his YouTube channel. It really comes down to make most of what we have right now (or at least that's my impression).
Really entertaining all the stories and all with a deep reasoning behind.
Well if you like the YouTube channel you would definitely enjoy this book.
Shdnx
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a decently written set of short stories presenting a couple of interesting ideas. The stories and characters are not particularly inspired; they clearly just serve to set the context.

Whether you'll like it or hate it will mainly depend on how much do you appreciate exurb1a's style: if you like his YouTube videos, give this try.
Abraxas Longley
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolute ripper. Like all our favourite stories, this collection felt specifically tailored for my soul, sufferings, and dreams. I wish everyone the same beautiful revelations that I experienced in reading this book.

For fans of sci-fi, British humour, existentialism, spirituality, artificial intelli— oh just buy the bloody book already.
Zsolt Parnaki
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t had a book in my hands that I simply cannot put down for many years before this. An easy read, but really makes you think about Life and keeps you on your toes at the same time. If you are familiar with the author’s Youtube channel then you would appreciate the humor, but at the same time be slightly annoyed that you would read the whole book with his voice in your head.
Hristo Daskalov
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always had a weak spot for physics, AI, space, technology and when you add a little bit of human, it's bound to be a great book. I admit am a little biased because i also am a fan of the YouTube channel, but if you like to know what's coming up on the galactic human timeline i strongly recommend The Fifth Science.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Future Primitive: The New Ecotopias
  • The Mammoth Book of Mindblowing SF
  • Three Worlds Collide
  • Chasing Shadows: Visions of Our Coming Transparent World
  • The Best of Larry Niven
  • The Mirror Maker: Stories and Essays
  • Microworlds: Writings on Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Crystal Society (Crystal Trilogy, #1)
  • Ribofunk
  • Accessing the Future: A Disability-Themed Anthology of Speculative Fiction
  • O Human Star, Volume One
  • Shine: An Anthology of Optimistic Science Fiction
  • Meeting Infinity
  • The Apex Book of World SF (Apex Book of World SF #1)
  • Heroes in Hell (Heroes in Hell, #1)
  • The Best of Fredric Brown
  • The Mammoth Book of Futuristic Romance
  • The Matrix Comics, Vol. 1
“Hell isn't a fire pit but a museum of regrets.” 11 likes
“It's funny, you don't convince the living to behave in a proper way; you just wait for them to die and hope their children grow up a little kinder and wiser than their parents.” 4 likes