Start by marking “The Fifth Science” as Want to Read:
The Fifth Science

The Fifth Science

The Galactic Human Empire was built atop four sciences: logic, physics, psychology, and sociology. Standing on those pillars, humans spent 100,000 years spreading out into the galaxy: warring, exploring, partying — the usual. Then there was the fifth science. And that killed the empire stone dead.

The Fifth Science is a collection of 12 stories, beginning at the start of
Published August 24th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Fifth Science, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fifth Science

Start your review of The Fifth Science
Lyn
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Youtube artist Exurb1a crafted this collection of loosely connected short works and centered around his world building of a declining galactic human empire stretching out over 100,000 years.

Twelve short stories and some bridge material to help explain things form this very unique anthology. Central to what makes this work is the author’s physics and philosophy heavy take on all things human. In an afterward he describes the term “panpsychism” as “the aspects of consciousness can’t be explained i
Sam
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly Inspiring

Happened to help change my life, thought I should share.

First I have to say that this book is fantastically written. I’ve long been a fan of Exurb1a’s YouTube videos and I’m so glad that I took the time to start reading his books too. I love how well his sense of humour and ability to trigger an existential crisis have translated across both mediums.

Consciousness, particularly artificial consciousness, acts as the focal point for these stories. While reading this book, perhaps
Ivan Vuković
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
The cunt can write. Good stuff, definitely recommended ;)
May 舞
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Such an unexpectedly fascinating read; Exurb1a never ceases to impress. Some of the stories were frankly phenomenal, like And the Leaves All Sing of God, Water for Lunch, Be Awake, Be Good, and The Caretaker, while others barely made the cut. Overall though, it was a pretty decent read. I'm still trying to get my head around the idea of conscious stars lining up to build some sort of a galactic machine :'D
Also, there were numerous profound and thought-provoking quotes in this book, for example:
Michelle Bradley

Three
Words.
Abhishek
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In simple words, it is collection of short sci-fi stories that are easy to read and enjoyable. Each story, although different, follows an underlying narrative and philosophy unique to Ex.

In terms of the stories themselves, they each present an interesting thought within them, which one could either think about for some time as a philosophical thought experiment or just enjoy the world crafted by the author.

I think I'd risk spoilers if I reveal the themes of the stories being that the structure
Afonso
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fucking ride!
Jessica
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked it a lot. Some of the writing was a bit scattershot but wow, what concepts
Daniel Arne
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best science fiction books I have ever read.

Please keep in mind that the author is most likely a sex offender. I'd already purchased when I found out, but its worth noting.
Chip
3.5 stars. A very golden-ageish series of short stories, reminiscent of Asimov or Clark, spinning stories that span the length of the universe.
Ilie Simion
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good collection of stories written with the casual characteristic style of Ex (follow his youtube channel if you don't already). Philosophy, humour, spirituality, existentialism mix in each of the stories, all happening in the same universe, at different point in time and space of the human empire, all revolving around the concept of conscience. Characters are all-in-all pretty well portrayed, although some lack depth. You won't care much for them, or remember them for a long time, but they are ...more
Roxanne
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Not a fan of short stories, my son got this for my birthday so I didn't know it was short stories. It is well written.
Kuenzang Palmo
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: worth-the-read
[convinced exurb1a should be one of the writers for black mirror]
Isabel
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think exurb1a's writing is nothing formidable. He is yet to gain experience. However, I have to admit that the way he formulates his ideas is just wonderful.
Some stories in this book are not that good; others are pure art. It really makes you think about how humanity will always remain the same, even if we explore the universe, even if we create sentient artificial intelligence, even if we create god.
But that's not necessarily bad. Sure, we have a lot of defects. But we are more than that.

Even
Richard
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Fifth Science probably offers a somewhat complete worldview of a Galactic Empire’s deflation and downfall, but its success in delivering a truly original perspective seemed hampered by two significant faults. First, there is the tendency to accentuate the imagined universe with details of our own. This isn’t necessarily a fault, as elements of a familiar universe can help provide grounding for an author’s creative leaps, so my issue has more to do with execution, where the author includes ex ...more
Benno Krojer
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There are books that pretend to be deep and even some that are actually deep but just don't reach and inspire you. This was not one of those. This book made me think about stuff I never thought about before in a very fundamental and beautiful way. All the stories were refreshing and had their unique theme. Each tackled a different core question of human nature.
I love Exurb1a's YouTube channel and think his humour is one of the best I've witnessed in my life. Therefore I enjoyed his style of writ
Ashley Woodrow
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb book.

A Podcast about a boardgame led me to google an unrelated book. Which made me watch a YouTube video which took me to a science vid and then to a history vid and then to an Exurb1a video about the universe, where I spent over an hour on the channel. Then the Fifth Science showed up as a tailored Amazon advertisment on my Podcast app.

I'm glad that I dedicated part of my 'day out in the cosmos' to reading this. You should read it too.

And yet, for some reason I still resent those bloody
Joshi
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
A neat little anthology of stories detailing the discovery of the Fifth Science and how it causes humanity's demise. Easy to read but still manages to deal with very interesting topics and questions (seriously, somebody read this cause I wanna talk about so much from this book)

My favourites were probably the Archaeological story and the "mix of Red vs Blue and The Village" story

Pretty cool, go read it (plus the cover art is beautiful)
Daniel Verderese
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very entertaining, not amazing

This book, or collection of stories, is very entertaining and thought provoking. Some of the stories are hit or miss though with a few being excellent and some i was just reading to try and get through. I recommend it for people who like physics, sci-fi, and space overall
Savyasachi Jagadeeshan
Similar to hitchhikers guide series. Less funny. More grandiose. More boring.
Debbie
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was initially surprised when my science fiction book club chose The Fifth Science to read. The author is Exurb1a. Exurb1a has a YouTube channel where he reads some of his work, tells jokes and performs music. I went into this book with pretty low expectations and ended up pleasantly surprised on how much I enjoyed The Fifth Science.
The book consists of approximately a dozen short stories having to do with the fifth science. The first 4 sciences are logic, physics, psychology and sociology. The
Lauren
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
never rly delved into science fiction before this book, but it was a good entryway into sci-fi themes and philosophy. the ideas in each short story were complex but the author writes in a simplified way, so that it’s accessible to younger audiences and people like me who haven’t studied science since year 10 lol—

all in all, i liked some of the stories and their morals more than others, but probably wouldn’t read again anytime soon tho bc the writing style sometimes was a bit too in-your-face and
JoshuaHartman
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Complete art. From start to finish. Splitting up the timeline into little stories kept it captivating and fresh, and the overarching theme is incredible. Eye-opening in so many ways, from the theories of consciousness to the subtle reminders of our own immorality, there were countless times I had to put the book down and just think about what was being said. Very philosophical but still sci-fi enough.
Noelle
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection of short stories along the same vein as Black Mirror or Twilight Zone... weird, nerdy, a little dark, and highly entertaining.
Daniel Di
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall an enjoyable set of stories that requires some deeper thought on consciousness and humanity.
Some very interesting/gripping stories that felt similar to Twilight Zone plots, but a few that didn’t spark much interest.
Took a while to get to grips with the universe building as it jumps in very quickly, but becomes even more enjoyable towards the end when you can see the links between all the stories and their settings.
Aditya Prasad
I love the videos this guy makes. Super inspiring, great stories, and other cool stuff that are hard to describe with a few words. The guy is unique. There is also a ton of controversy around him. Making him a prime case study for why it's ok to love the art and seperate it from the artist. But that is a topic worth really delving into.

Anyway coming to the book itself, Exurb1a manages to create a most fabulous world. There are some true gems in there,

For Every Dove a Bullet

A good way to start th
Lance
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Fifth Science is a collection of short stories, though less of an anthology and more episodic. It chronicles the rise of humanity from shooting and screwing in a singular planet, to the discovery of interstellar travel for shooting and screwing across galaxies.

The world-building is a charming delight. Technology has become terrifyingly efficient; bigger, shinier, smarter toys for the same scared, sweaty, but always stubborn ape. Author Exurb1a’s characters find themselves sitting in idyllic
Bridget Godfrey
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! I think everyone who has enjoyed any science fiction in the past, or who wants to learn more about panpsychism should undoubtedly pick up this book.

Even if you don’t think you will like it, it is $5 and more than worth a try.
Jonathan Wen
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book discusses the complex sciences, politics, philosophies, and morals of the present and the future. The book is a great mix of suspense, science and facts, humor and much more. The book is a collection of great stories that all wraps up into one epic conclusion. The characters are all relatable and almost like real people and you can truly feel a bond formed between the characters. As soon as I picked up this book I was wrapped up in it and this is one of the best books I've read in a lo ...more
Bieke
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fucking hell, am I glad I read this.
Seriously, Exurb1a never seizes to amaze me. He may never know of my gigantic adoration for him, but that's the point of being human eh?
This book made me reconsider everything I did and did not want to reconsider over the span of four days.

If you have a limited amount of books you could read before death, I hope that you pick The Fifth Science and The Prince Of Milk. If you're ever remotely interested in physics, philosophy or just like reading fantastic books
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Instantiation
  • The Bosch: A Novella (Polity Universe)
  • Notes from the End of Everything
  • The Atlantropa Articles: A Novel
  • Deep Black
  • Ra
  • The Forest
  • The Human (Rise of the Jain #3)
  • Fine Structure
  • New Eden
  • The Fable of the Dragon-Tyrant
  • The Doors of Eden
  • The Oppenheimer Alternative
  • The Jupiter Catastrophe: Hard Science Fiction (Ice Moon Book 5)
Exurb1a likes fiction with a metaphysical backbone. He enjoys trying to write that kind of stuff himself.

He also runs a subpar YouTube channel of the same name.