Start by marking “Our Child of the Stars” as Want to Read:
Our Child of the Stars

Our Child of the Stars

A lost child, the family who try to protect him and the secret that refuses to stay hidden . . .

Molly and Gene Myers were happy, until tragedy blighted their hopes of children. During the years of darkness and despair, they each put their marriage in jeopardy, but now they are starting to rebuild their fragile bond.

This is the year of Woodstock and the moon landings; war i

To ask other readers questions about Our Child of the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Child of the Stars

Carolyn
Suppose an alien spaceship crashed on Earth in the middle of the USA and the only occupant that survived was a small child. What would happen to him? Would the government and the FBI want to capture that child and lock him away in a lab to study and investigate him? What if kind, caring people in a small town hid him away to grow up in a loving environment while he waited for rescue by his own people?

This is the premise of this book. Molly Myers, a nurse and her husband Gene, who lost their own
Pauline
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Our Child of the Stars by Stephen Cox is a science fiction story about family, love and second chances.
In 1969 a meteor crashes in a town in New England. One child rescued from the site is taken to hospital and he is cared for by a nurse Molly Myers. This is no ordinary child and he must be hidden from everyone to keep him safe.
Molly and her husband take the child to live with them and grow to love him as their own.
I enjoyed this book it was a different type of read for me.
I would like to thank
Hayley Gullen
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is great. The book takes an original angle to the trope of alien invasion, focusing on the impact on one little family. It's well paced, with excellent characters - Cory the alien boy is completely believable and endearing. The descriptions of the setting were also beautifully done and brought it to life in my mind. This is both an excellent story and a deep exploration of family and love.
Richard Webb
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A relatable, family-centric story with a compelling premise (adoption of an alien child) which reads like an urban fable. Though definitely warm-hearted, this is not a 'cosy' read -- there is genuine threat, moral dilemma and a twisting plot, all set against a background of social upheaval. A thought-provoking tale of love, community and what it means to be 'human.' Recommended; would make a fabulous film.
Angela Groves
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a breath of fresh air this was! I loved the fact this was set in the 60's. I loved the fact that despite being science fiction, one of the main characters had reservations about getting a TV! I dare anyone not to fall in love with the Meyers family. They are so perfect, yet so flawed. Despite the outlandish nature of the plot, I could easily see this happening today, perhaps not aliens, but certainly government smear campaigns. It probably is.

I could gush about this book forever, so I am ju
Rhiannon Grant
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read. This is a charming story about love, trust, and finding your family - sometimes in unexpected places, such as in a crashed spaceship. Although there are dark parts, and the dangers involved are realistic, overall this is a warm book. The characters struggle with moral questions in a way which makes the story engaging. I'd recommend it to book groups and anyone interested in what it takes to build a community.
Sue Tingey
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was one of those I couldn't put down but didn't want to end. It is beautifully written and certainly stirs the emotions. It is a tale of love, loss, friendship, loyalty and doing the right thing.

I won't write a precis of the book as I read it without knowing anything about it other than what was in the blurb on the back cover and I personally prefer it way. What I will say is it was a real rollercoaster of an emotional ride and I would recommend it to SciFi and fantasy fan
Sue Hampton
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never read anything more exciting than Our Child of the Stars. Over a heady 24 hours, in between Christmas preparations and family visits, I was reluctant to take breaks but afraid to finish. Cory the alien child is irresistibly charming, a character we smell and feel as well as see, hear and love. His strangeness and vulnerability make that emotional attachment as instant as any parent’s, even before he develops as a character in ways all parents recognise and others that set him apart. An ...more
Katherine Hayward
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-blog-tours
Review to come. Thanks to Stephen Cox and publisher for my ARC in exchange for n honest and voluntary review.
Peter Parr
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
" Our Child of the Stars" by Stephen Cox
A superbly written book gently placed in 1960's New England fraught with the cold war, the Space race and the Vietnam war. A slow burning opening changes dramatically when orphan boy child Cory arrives in the hospital of sleepy Amber Grove. Local nurse Molly Myers nurses and nurtures Cory from birth. She and her husband Gene recognise that Cory is special and has some unusual powers, and needs to be brought up discreetly in a family home to protect him fro
Jennifer Brumby
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Our child of the stars” is a book to savour. 1960’s USA. Moms in the kitchen, Space race, Martin Luther King, threat of the Bomb, Hippie festivals, music and lifestyles a-changing. Vietnam. Nurse meets Librarian. Suddenly their small town is blitzed by an extra-ordinary happening. Consequences? Can they protect their un-tellable secret? Can peaceful honest people resist vicious aggression without fighting back? How much power can the President’s pet scientist wield? What is one life worth? Real ...more
Fred Langridge
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sff
I really loved this. It's science fiction, with a twisty-turny plot, and peril - but it's about family and community and how people work.

I am already looking forward to the film. Someone should make the film.
♥ Kayleigh Kehoe ⚜ (Awkword Reviews)✍
3.2*

"Human history was full of blood and terror and she was ashamed of it."

This was a really interesting read. A little slow paced, perhaps, but packed with tension, love, and all kinds of heart rendering emotions.

A meteor crashes next to the town of Amber Grove. Molly, a nurse, immediately repairs to the hospital where she helps everyone she can. Gene, her husband, is working at the local library at the time and is saved by not being flattened and impaled by foreign metal objects by sheer l
Sophie
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that manages to be a meditation on family love as well as a total page-turner that ratchets up the tension right to the last moment. It takes a familiar story, alien comes to earth, and gives it a fresh slant as we follow the story through the couple that take him him and fight to keep him secret and safe. I totally fell in love with Cory, the alien orphan, his heart, his enthusiasm and his discovery of our world in all its messy complexity. He is totally believable as are all the ...more
Tony J
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A page turner. I don’t dig Sci-Fi but once this book got going I was hooked. Mixed themes which are intriguing and I soon really cared about the characters. Several times it got exiting and I couldn’t see how it could go . Some really loving friends and wicked, powerful authority figures. Plus lots more. I don’t want to give the plot away so I will stop.
A good present for Christmas.
Peter Gee
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-sl-laser
Gripping and heartwarming sci-fi

This is a really enjoyable book. Was gripped throughout and intrigued by Cory, and it is a lovely heartwarming story as well.
SD
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most rounded female characters I have read about in a long time

What does a real woman do when she has a moral dilemma that will challenge her whole world?
Molly, the most rounded woman I've read about in a long time, decides to do the kindest thing, despite her own misgivings, her crippling depression, and the conforming behaviour expected of her.
Living in a fearful, traditional community, Molly and her husband Gene listen to their hearts. Aware of the dying plea of a very different
Lucy
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I would classify myself as a casual fan of science fiction. I enjoy it but it’s not my favourite genre and although I dabble from time to time in reading it, a majority of the time my sci-fi fix is from tv or films. That being said I loved ‘our child of the stars’. It’s a thrilling, compelling and heart-warming tale and once you get going it’s very hard to put down. It’s perfect if you’re new to sci-fi/ not really a fan of conventional sci-fi because it doesn’t feel like you’re reading a science
Amanda Evans
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a beautiful story of family and love. The story centres around Molly and Gene Myer's and their love of a child who is different. Molly and Gene's marriage is falling apart after tragedy strikes and they can't have children. Molly turns to alcohol and it is when a meteor strikes their small town that life gives them a second chance, with a child in need of protection, a family, and most of all love.

Cory is Molly's salvation. She and Gene decide to keep him secret and hopefully safe. Of co
Anna
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Mr Hedley M Batchelor
An outstanding book! Not my usual variety of SF, but I’m so glad I read it. I normally never get round to writing reviews of the many books I read, but I just had to do so in this case. Beautifully crafted and written story - I shall keep an eye out for any future books by this author.
Juliet
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this lovely, thoughtful, book.
Hannah Edwards
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book reminds me of some of Stephen King's best novels, in that (a) it has a supernatural angle that somehow feels very plausible, (b) you really, really care about the characters, (c) you think about it when you're not reading it, and (d) when you finish it, you want more. It is moving, original, and feels very real. I loved it and really hope there is a sequel!
Carolyn
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Tragedy has seen Molly and Gene Myers' marriage going through a rough patch recently, but things are finally starting to turn around. Then a meteor crashes into their small New England hometown, causing chaos. Among the victims, there is one - a rather special little boy - who will turn their lives upside down but, at the same time, fill them with the kind of joy they thought they'd lost the chance of experiencing. But these are turbulent times and there are always those who would seek to use hi ...more
Kelly Van Damme
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Our Child of the Stars takes us to the US in the 1960s. A meteor strikes earth and in its wake, a spacecraft crashes. There are no survivors, save one little alien boy, on the brink of death. Think ET, but with a greyish purple hue and tentacles. Drama ensues: what is this boy’s physical makeup like, is he a danger to us, are we to him, what does he know about his people, about his ship? While the Powers that Be try to cover up the alien landing, the boy’s nurse falls desperately in love with hi ...more
Kayleigh
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Our Child of the Stars is so lovely, I found it really hard to put down and just wanted to stay in the story. This is an excellent twist on the alien crash landing narrative - just a child in need of a new family and a lovely commentary on the family bonds that are made, not by birth but by choice. I especially enjoyed that the events of the story occur in the 1960s, as events of that period provide a perfect background.
Jana
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I thought this book was really interesting. The plot may not be completely groundbreakingly unique, but to me, the whole book really fed off its characters and the relationships between them, especially those between the main characters Molly, Gene and Cory. It's not your typical sci fi story, I would say, but if you like sort of sci fi family stories, this is a good one.
Caroline
Dec 07, 2018
Oliver Greer
Dec 12, 2018
Sally B
Dec 27, 2018
My grandmother told me I read too much. I remember walking in the garden when I was small, telling myself stories.

In August 2012 in a caravan, in a field, up a mountainous rocky track that made a hired 4×4 essential, in Wales, in the rainiest summer fortnight I can remember … there, I sat and started my first novel. It was a lot of work and a lot of fun. That book has yet to find its home in the w