Start by marking “Our Child of the Stars” as Want to Read:
Our Child of the Stars

Our Child of the Stars

A lost child, the family who try to protect him and the secret that refuses to stay hidden . . .

Molly and Gene Myers were happy, until tragedy blighted their hopes of children. During the years of darkness and despair, they each put their marriage in jeopardy, but now they are starting to rebuild their fragile bond.

This is the year of Woodstock and the moon landings; war i
Published (first published November 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Our Child of the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Child of the Stars

Start your review of Our Child of the Stars
Carolyn
Suppose an alien spaceship crashed on Earth in the middle of the USA and the only occupant that survived was a small child. What would happen to him? Would the government and the FBI want to capture that child and lock him away in a lab to study and investigate him? What if kind, caring people in a small town hid him away to grow up in a loving environment while he waited for rescue by his own people?

This is the premise of this book. Molly Myers, a nurse and her husband Gene, who lost their own
Pauline
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Our Child of the Stars by Stephen Cox is a science fiction story about family, love and second chances.
In 1969 a meteor crashes in a town in New England. One child rescued from the site is taken to hospital and he is cared for by a nurse Molly Myers. This is no ordinary child and he must be hidden from everyone to keep him safe.
Molly and her husband take the child to live with them and grow to love him as their own.
I enjoyed this book it was a different type of read for me.
I would like to thank
Olivia
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I received a copy from Netgalley. My review is, as usual, honest.

Imagine an alien spaceship crashes on Earth in the 60's somewhere in the middle of the United States, and the only survivor is a small child.

A boy.

How many people would be after him? Of course, both the government and the FBI would love to get their hands on this child. Awaiting him: experiments galore. Poor thing.

Instead, a caring couple hide him away, adopt him as if he were their own and give him the possibility to grow up in a
Kate
This wonderful, enchanting novel spellbound me. I've not read anything like it before. Its portrayal of a young alien child, embraced by a human couple with so much love to give, in the paranoid, moon-reaching world of 1969, is all-powerful and astonishing. I love this book. Its beautiful cover fits with it perfectly. It might be only January but I know this will be in my top 10 for 2019. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

Gene and Molly Myers have been through so much grief, loss and pain. Then, along comes Cory, thrust into their lives in an unconventional way. A survivor of the Amber Grove meteor crash, an orphan, someone to help heal their wounds. He gives them hope, a purpose and the possibility of a future.

It was a normal day, like any other in 1960’s Amber Grove, a small town in Amber County, N
Richard Webb
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A relatable, family-centric story with a compelling premise (adoption of an alien child) which reads like an urban fable. Though definitely warm-hearted, this is not a 'cosy' read -- there is genuine threat, moral dilemma and a twisting plot, all set against a background of social upheaval. A thought-provoking tale of love, community and what it means to be 'human.' Recommended; would make a fabulous film.
Angela Groves
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a breath of fresh air this was! I loved the fact this was set in the 60's. I loved the fact that despite being science fiction, one of the main characters had reservations about getting a TV! I dare anyone not to fall in love with the Meyers family. They are so perfect, yet so flawed. Despite the outlandish nature of the plot, I could easily see this happening today, perhaps not aliens, but certainly government smear campaigns. It probably is.

I could gush about this book forever, so I am ju
Janne Janssens
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Until a week ago, aliens fell in the same category as zombies: fantasy creatures I really don't like. But then I fell in love with Cory, the little alien orphan who fell on earth and was in need of a loving family. Despite his strange looks and habits, Cory's character is so loveable and believable.

Stephen Cox told the story through the eyes of multiple characters. Even though I did not have sympathy for every character, this way I could feel at least empathy. That made this story very credible.
Janne Janssens
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ebook provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Until a week ago, aliens fell in the same category as zombies.: fantasy creatures I really don't like. But then I fell in love with Cory, the little alien orphan who fell on earth and was in need of a loving family. Despite his strange looks and habits, Cory's character is so loveable and believable.

Stephen Cox told the story through the eyes of multiple character
Peter Parr
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
" Our Child of the Stars" by Stephen Cox
A superbly written book gently placed in 1960's New England fraught with the cold war, the Space race and the Vietnam war. A slow burning opening changes dramatically when orphan boy child Cory arrives in the hospital of sleepy Amber Grove. Local nurse Molly Myers nurses and nurtures Cory from birth. She and her husband Gene recognise that Cory is special and has some unusual powers, and needs to be brought up discreetly in a family home to protect him fro
The Nerd Daily
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Carolyn Percy

1969, a year of extraordinary events like Woodstock and the Moon Landings, but also where the Vietnam war is still raging and global superpowers teetering on the precipice of mutual annihilation. About to be caught up in the middle of this are Molly and Gene Myers, a young couple living in the quiet New England town of Amber Grove. Tragedy has caused the Myers’ marriage to go through a shaky patch but they are starting to rebuild.

Th
Sophie
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that manages to be a meditation on family love as well as a total page-turner that ratchets up the tension right to the last moment. It takes a familiar story, alien comes to earth, and gives it a fresh slant as we follow the story through the couple that take him him and fight to keep him secret and safe. I totally fell in love with Cory, the alien orphan, his heart, his enthusiasm and his discovery of our world in all its messy complexity. He is totally believable as are all the ...more
Sue Tingey
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was one of those I couldn't put down but didn't want to end. It is beautifully written and certainly stirs the emotions. It is a tale of love, loss, friendship, loyalty and doing the right thing.

I won't write a precis of the book as I read it without knowing anything about it other than what was in the blurb on the back cover and I personally prefer it way. What I will say is it was a real rollercoaster of an emotional ride and I would recommend it to SciFi and fantasy fan
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

Due to my ill-timed slump, it took me longer than usual to complete this. Nevertheless I did find myself intrigued by the overall premise of the story. Once diving into the read, the reader is thrown into the Woodstock era where we meet married couple Gene and Carol, a troubling duo whose lives soon spin of control when dealt with death, grief, deception, infidelity, and substance abuse. Fast forward, we meet 'Corey', a special 'boy' that comes along and everything changes.

I won'
Sue Hampton
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never read anything more exciting than Our Child of the Stars. Over a heady 24 hours, in between Christmas preparations and family visits, I was reluctant to take breaks but afraid to finish. Cory the alien child is irresistibly charming, a character we smell and feel as well as see, hear and love. His strangeness and vulnerability make that emotional attachment as instant as any parent’s, even before he develops as a character in ways all parents recognise and others that set him apart. An ...more
Rhiannon Grant
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read. This is a charming story about love, trust, and finding your family - sometimes in unexpected places, such as in a crashed spaceship. Although there are dark parts, and the dangers involved are realistic, overall this is a warm book. The characters struggle with moral questions in a way which makes the story engaging. I'd recommend it to book groups and anyone interested in what it takes to build a community.
Katherine Hayward Pérez
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-blog-tours
Molly Myers is a nurse who is very good at her job. She and her husband Gene have to fight through their own tragedy after they lose their own child.

Their town is damaged by a meteor and Molly has to tend to patients, but there's one who she feels drawn to. An alien mother and son are in the hospital and Molly is more concerned about them than most. She feels she wants to do more to help him, that anybody deserves medical treatment, no matter what species.

There are the usual hospital problems,
Jennifer Brumby
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who
“Our child of the stars” is a book to savour. 1960’s USA. Moms in the kitchen, Space race, Martin Luther King, threat of the Bomb, Hippie festivals, music and lifestyles a-changing. Vietnam. Nurse meets Librarian. Suddenly their small town is blitzed by an extra-ordinary happening. Consequences? Can they protect their un-tellable secret? Can peaceful honest people resist vicious aggression without fighting back? How much power can the President’s pet scientist wield? What is one life worth? Real ...more
Tony J
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A page turner. I don’t dig Sci-Fi but once this book got going I was hooked. Mixed themes which are intriguing and I soon really cared about the characters. Several times it got exiting and I couldn’t see how it could go . Some really loving friends and wicked, powerful authority figures. Plus lots more. I don’t want to give the plot away so I will stop.
A good present for Christmas.
Fred Langridge
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sff
I really loved this. It's science fiction, with a twisty-turny plot, and peril - but it's about family and community and how people work.

I am already looking forward to the film. Someone should make the film.
Kayleigh Kehoe ♡
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, sci-fi
wordpresstumblrinstagramtwitter
_____________________________

3.2*

"Human history was full of blood and terror and she was ashamed of it."

This was a really interesting read. A little slow paced, perhaps, but packed with tension, love, and all kinds of heart rendering emotions.

A meteor crashes next to the town of Amber Grove. Molly, a nurse, immediately repairs to the hospital where she helps everyone she can. Gene, her husband, is working at the local library at the time and
Jo
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
An orphaned alien is 'adopted' by a childless couple in 1960s America. This was a sweet tale that had me utterly captivated. I was charmed by Cory and how he adapted to life on Earth. One for the ET fans.
Rita
Thank you Netgalley and Quercus Books for providing me an ARC of this book, in exchange for an honest review.

Our Child of the Stars is original and heartwarming, but in the end it didn't quite hit the mark for me.

Our Child of the Stars tells the story of a couple that has been touched by tragedy and, besides their love for each other, is finding it hard to overxome their issues and keep their marriage together. Then, a meteor falls and everything changes: now there's an orphan little kid that ne
Lucy
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I would classify myself as a casual fan of science fiction. I enjoy it but it’s not my favourite genre and although I dabble from time to time in reading it, a majority of the time my sci-fi fix is from tv or films. That being said I loved ‘our child of the stars’. It’s a thrilling, compelling and heart-warming tale and once you get going it’s very hard to put down. It’s perfect if you’re new to sci-fi/ not really a fan of conventional sci-fi because it doesn’t feel like you’re reading a science
SD
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most rounded female characters I have read about in a long time

What does a real woman do when she has a moral dilemma that will challenge her whole world?
Molly, the most rounded woman I've read about in a long time, decides to do the kindest thing, despite her own misgivings, her crippling depression, and the conforming behaviour expected of her.
Living in a fearful, traditional community, Molly and her husband Gene listen to their hearts. Aware of the dying plea of a very different
Peter Gee
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-sl-laser
Gripping and heartwarming sci-fi

This is a really enjoyable book. Was gripped throughout and intrigued by Cory, and it is a lovely heartwarming story as well.
Jodi
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the 1960s, a loving couple named Molly and Gene Myers meet, marry, conceive a baby, and lose the baby. After that, while they still love each other very much, their marriage turns turbulent. Then a meteor hits their sleepy small town. Molly is a nurse and is called upon to treat many patients. However, the most interesting patient of all came with that meteor, which is actually a ship--an alien child.

Our Child of the Stars is primarily about Molly, Gene, and that child, later to be called Cor
Joanne Sheppard
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stephen Cox's debut novel Our Child Of The Stars opens with a typical, small-town American family in the late 1960s getting ready for Halloween. But what makes this family different is that the only child, Cory, is an alien.

Our Child Of The Stars is set in the late 1960s, when the space race and the Cold War were rumbling on and conservative America felt threatened by the rise of counter-culture. Nixon is in the White House and America is at war in Vietnam, but at the same time Woodstock is abou
keikii Eats Books
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To read more of my reviews, check out my blog at keikii Eats Books!

Quote:
Molly,
I thought we agreed, no secrets. When I screwed up, I told you. I don’t know what the deal is, but it’s eating you up. You’ve got to decide, because I can’t live with someone who doesn’t trust me.
That hieroglyph meant, Love you, Gene.

Review:
Our Child of the Stars is very beautifully written. I just love the tone and direction the narration takes with every part of the story. I found myself adoring something I don'
David Harris
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm grateful to Jo Fletcher Books for an advance e-copy of this book via NetGalley - and indeed for a finished hardback copy too which is a real work of beauty. If you can, take yourself to a bookshop and hold it in your hands! And then buy it, obviously.

I'd been looking forward to the book, based on advance "noise", and there was a extra layer of intrigue because of it being Cox's first book. That always raises the possibility of something a little different. I mean, obviously some aspiring aut
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Book of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #1)
  • A Pale Light in the Black (NeoG #1)
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • The Glass Magician
  • This Town Sleeps
  • Goldilocks
  • The Human Son
  • Moontangled (The Harwood Spellbook, #2.5)
  • Stormblood (The Common, #1)
  • Not So Stories
  • The Shadow Saint (The Black Iron Legacy, #2)
  • Master of Sorrows (The Silent Gods #1)
  • Unfollow Me
  • Making Wolf
  • As the World Falls Down
  • The Last Smile in Sunder City (The Fetch Phillips Archives, #1)
  • The Last Human
  • M for Mammy
My grandmother told me I read too much. I remember walking in the garden when I was small, telling myself stories.

In August 2012 in a caravan, in a field, up a mountainous rocky track that made a hired 4×4 essential, in Wales, in the rainiest summer fortnight I can remember … there, I sat and started my first novel. It was a lot of work and a lot of fun. That book has yet to find its home in the w