Start by marking “The Fever King (Feverwake, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fever King (Feverwake, #1)

The Fever King

(Feverwake #1)

In the former United States, sixteen-year-old Noam Álvaro wakes up in a hospital bed, the sole survivor of the viral magic that killed his family and made him a technopath. His ability to control technology attracts the attention of the minister of defense and thrusts him into the magical elite of the nation of Carolinia.

The son of undocumented immigrants, Noam
Published March 1st 2019 by Skyscape

Chaima ✨ شيماء
Me: *picks up a book with very high expectations and ends up disappointed*

My brain: *slamming fists on table* REGRET REGRET REGRET REGRET REGRET REGRET REGR

I relish the risk incurred by picking up a book that might inspire love or hate because both ends are passionate. As a reader, what I dread the most is the middle ground, the lukewarm, the books that lack whatever alchemy is needed to ensure they land on my heart with a sound of impact. Unfortunately, my images of The Fever King are alreof/>My
may ➹
The thing about The Fever King is that it’s about so many different things that it’s just truly indescribable.

It’s about a virus that has taken so many innocent lives, yet has become a magical blessing for those who survive it. It’s about moral ambiguity and deciding what’s right and wrong for you but also for everyone else. It’s about identity, and trauma, and finding your place in a world that is always changing.

It’s about a boy named Noam, and a boy named Dara, and what they must do to keep living in a world that demands m
Lily ☁️
My full review is now up on my blog!

There’s something about books that make you avoid any and all real life responsibilities, stay up until 2 a.m., bleary-eyed and exhausted, and leave you with your soul crushed beyond recognition—and have you loving every single second of it. Something that leaves a distinctly enunciated yes in its wake that reverberates warmly in your heart with its perfect, almost poetic diction, and its all-consuming intensity.

And that special something has ensconced
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
2.5 stars. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

It’s the 22nd century, and North America is divided into several different countries in the aftermath of a worldwide disaster. A plague that first hit back in the early part of the 21st century killed ― and continues to kill ― almost every person who get infected with the virus. Those few who survive become “witchings,” developing a variety of magical powers as a result of the virus’s presence in their body.

Noam Álvaro is a bisexual teenage
Lola
The premise of this book sounded captivating and I couldn’t wait for the author to introduce the romance between the two male characters who basically hate each other, but I did not expect this YA story to be so… mature. The world-building is dark, Noam works to improve the conditions of refugees by working with government officials and developing his own powers, and there are plenty of secrets no one cares to share. There’s drinking, drugs, sex. Adult stuff.

It’s a page-turner, but not an insta
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I had no idea that I need this book in my life until I stumbled upon the synopsis.
Dang! That sounds so intriguing!
My gay romance radar went on autopilot and my inner queer faerie is slaphappy! *lol*
Guess that's what you call a win-win situation. XD
Jamie Finch
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not going to lie, the only reason I decided to pick this book up was for the m/m rep, which did not disappoint (prepare for a lot of angst). I honestly didn’t know much else about it or what to expect, so I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

This book was incredibly diverse and the bisexual representation in particular, made me ridiculously happy.

“I meant it when I said I wasn’t gay” Noam said.
Ames looked disbelieving , but she didn’t pull away.
Noam smirked. “ Bi
Acqua
Was this completely predictable? Yes.
Did I care? Not even a little, and that should tell you something about how well-written these characters are.

The Fever King is the first book in a futuristic sci-fantasy series set in what is left of the once-United States. It follows a main character who is bisexual, Jewish and Colombian and it features a main m/m romance. It's a story that talks about a lot of interesting themes, and I'm going to get to that in this review, but first I want to talk about what this book made me think about pr/>The/>Did
Malanie
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ppl who love The Foxhole Court, but also science
Recommended to Malanie by: Lily ☁️
arc sent by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

I was nervous about this one!!!!!!!. I don’t usually get into SF-F books???????? (which is a part of my personality we’re working on this year, pls contribute to the cause with your recs)

But I appreciated the hell out of this book. IT WAS SO CHARACTER-DRIVEN???? But at the same time, we’re given science! and betrayal! AND TRUE LOVE FOR THE GAYS! This was an excellent novel.

What is this book about?
Noam (a gorgeous bisexual high school dropout) lives i/>But(which
⚔ Silvia ⚓
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the author for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

Me: h-
Victoria Lee, probably: I'll make sure you never know happiness again

THAT HURTED but like in a good way.

It’s hard to say in a sentence what The Fever King is about.

You could say it’s about Noam, a Jewish Latino bisexual teen who survives the magic virus that kills most of the population and leaves him a witching, status which grants him a spot among the people he and his family have always fought against. You could say it’s abagain
THATh-
Victoria
Hamad
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“That was the whole point. Governments didn’t have to listen to the people until the people made it hurt to not listen.”

🌟 I picked this up because a couple of trusted bloggers read it and loved it. The book came out during the time I had my finals back at university. I then started seeing many disappointed readers reviewing it and this book’s average rating was going down steadily (At the time of this review it is 3.
Monica
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Really enjoyed this! It kept my interest thru the entire story. I only wish it had been longer and more developed. I would definitely read a sequel!

*Thanks to NetGalley and publishers for the advanced reader’s copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
there are antiheroes and gay shit in this
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
“It's all random chance. The universe. Us. An infinite cascade of chaos. A series of impossible accidents is the only reason we even exist.”

The Fever King absolutely blew me away. Here's something I don't say often, but even though the premise didn't get me too excited, the execution was incredible. I thought I was tired of dystopian books, but The Fever King proved that new twists can be put onto a genre that's been trod into the ground. It's a book that's poignant in this day and age, exploring how trauma, especially intergenerabut The/>The
Vicky Who Reads
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 stars

THIS BOOK, Y’ALL.

I love it so much? It was tightly written and wonderfully set up and I love the characters and am SO DEAD at the ending.

Whew! I could scream about this book all day, honestly.

In short, if you get anything from this review, it’s that you should READ THE FEVER KING. GO.

The lovable characters + ships.

Honestly, Victoria Lee is a master at creating characters I love and feel intensely attached to.

It’s one thing to write characters that are real or interesting, but it’s a completely other thing to writeGO.
The
Tucker
Let me preface this mini review by saying I have talked to the author and she seems really nice. I have nothing against her. That said, I unfortunately did not enjoy this as much as I hoped I would. I was expecting a lot of sci-fi (which there was but not as much as I was expecting.) I had trouble staying focused on the story. (But that's mostly because I had some personal things going on while I was reading this.) All in all, I loved the writing style. The story intrigued me at first but slowly ...more
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
4.25

The Fever King is a diverse and gripping sci-fi thriller of suspense. The fast-paced political intrigue between the two major factions in a post US apocalyptic world and the main protagonist tangled up in it all had me glued to the pages.

The former US has been befallen with a virus that destroyed most of the population and left two major metropoles. Atlantia in the southeast, a nuclear wasteland comprised of refugee camps, a place where all the sick people were dumped into; and
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Original review posted on my blog : Word Wonders

CW: mention and description of suicide, illness, death, violence, fascism, drug use, excessive drinking, pedophilia, statutory rape, abuse in all its forms, manipulation, trauma, murder, gore, generational trauma, ableist language, slut-shaming.

Do you ever rate a book five stars and the more you think about it the more you realize just how much more you love it and how you wish you could give it a billion more stars? Because that’s me with The Fever King./>CW:
Romie
so, about the ending, i'm in total denial. i'm fine. *screams into a pillow*
Melissa
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay. This book fits so well with what I love: apocalyptic, sci-fi, fantasy, suspense... Bring magic in a futuristic world and you got me. Add a romantic story, and I'm hooked! A couple of times, I would have hidden myself behind my eyes if I was watching a movie. I devoured the book, loved loved loved!

Many thanks to Skyscape for my e-copy of this book through NetGalley.
Benjamin
Probably the biggest disappointment of the year. RTC
☙ percy ❧
Feb 02, 2019 marked it as ebooks-tbr  ·  review of another edition
YO one of my most anticipated books goes on the amazon first reads selection??? it's motherfuckin christmas
;3
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, sci-fi, lgbt
3.5

noam, dara, and that gay shit: 👌💓🌈🏳🌈😘
that ending: 😰😥😓😓
everything else: 🧐🤔🤷♀😴😵
Natasha Ngan
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My kind of sci-fi: sharp, smart and political, with something important to say about our own world. Lee offers a fresh twist on magic that makes THE FEVER KING feel totally new and unique. I was absorbed in Noam's world from the first page - and was dreading leaving it by the last.

Also: DARA FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review – thank you!

The first 65% of this book was so boring I was deeply concerned I’d have to DNF it. And then – incredibly – the plot went from plodding along to flat-out sprinting. Honestly, I nearly got whiplash from the sudden change of pace.

But! It’s that change of pace which definitely saved this book from utter tedium.

In this futuristic world, the US has been split into two countries – Carolinia, the north, and Atlantia, the so
Lauren Lanzilotta
I don’t know why I allow any book ending to paralyze me like this.
Unacceptable.

The sci-fi genre seems to be creeping up on me out of the blue. After reading the Illuminae files, I realized that I’d been missing out on an entire slew of fantastic books. The Fever King quickly becoming one of the hidden gems among them.

Noam Álvaro, a sixteen year old boy, is the sole survivor of a viral magic that killed his entire family. Soon after, he discovers that the reason for his survival was because he is a
TL
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.25 to 2.5 stars

This is just gonna be random thoughts scattered instead 0f a proper review.. bear with me.

Wish world building was less vague.. was confused in the beginning..not enough to put me off but would have made it easier to sink into the story... the powers have a vague Xmen ish feel to em but not much action with training for much of the story. The science behind developing different powers is very fascinating and wish more time had been devoted to that as well.
Surina
This is why I DON'T read uncompleted series because after I finish the first book, which of course ends on a HUGE cliffhanger, I can't ever grab the second book immediately and find out what happens next so I end up biting my nails all year while waiting for the next book and by the time the second book comes up my poor nails are GONE.

Am I being slightly melodramatic? Yes. Maybe. But after that ending I am a certifiable mess so I feel fully entitled to cry into the void right now.

♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
Gay and fantasy. What more could I ask for?
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
“I would rather die than do nothing.”
Friends, there are some books that just suck you into their pages from the start and stay with you after you finish. The Fever King is one of those rare books. I was captivated from the first page and filled every spare moment I had with reading this amazing debut novel. For two days I started and ended my day reading The Fever King, and actually went to work an hour later than normal so I could finish the book yesterday. (and I absolutely hate having to staystars

• Tarnished Are the Stars
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • The Devouring Gray (The Devouring Gray, #1)
  • A Place For Wolves
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • Keep This to Yourself
  • All of Us with Wings
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Wise and the Wicked
  • Earth to Charlie
  • Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • The Perfect Assassin (The Chronicles of Ghadid, #1)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
Victoria Lee grew up in Durham, North Carolina, where she spent twelve ascetic years as a vegetarian before discovering spicy chicken wings are, in fact, a delicacy. She’s been a state finalist competitive pianist, a hitchhiker, a pizza connoisseur, an EMT, an expat in China and Sweden, and a science doctoral student. She’s also a bit of a snob about fancy whisky.

Victoria writes early

Feverwake (2 books)
  • The Electric Heir (Feverwake, #2)