Start by marking “Murder in the Forbidden City (Qing Dynasty Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder in the Forbidden City (Qing Dynasty Mysteries, #1)

Murder in the Forbidden City

(Qing Dynasty Mysteries #1)

Peking, 1867

When one of the Empress’s ladies-in-waiting is killed in the Forbidden City, she orders Inspector Gong to find the killer. Unfortunately, as a man, he is forbidden from entering the Inner Court. How is he supposed to solve a murder when he cannot visit the scene of the crime or talk to the women in the victim’s life? He won’t be able to solve this c
Published June 26th 2017 by Red Empress Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Murder in the Forbidden City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in the Forbidden City

Start your review of Murder in the Forbidden City (Qing Dynasty Mysteries, #1)
Jackie
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous mystery story to keep your attention. Lady Li has to help out Inspector Gong when one of the Empresse’s lady in waiting is murdered. Men aren’t allowed near them. Easy reading and before you even realize it, you’re at the end. Fabulous author.
Nadine
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Different (in a good way!)

You land slap bang in the middle of the action. I liked that. The style is different, but I quickly got used to it. After the hectic beginning it does slow down a bit, but the descriptions were interesting. It’s different than any other mystery I’ve read. The fact that it’s in China, in 1867, inside a palace, all these things make for a different kind of story. It felt like the author did extensive research. Alternating POV’s in third person between Inspecto
Linda
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an interesting book. Amanda takes us back in China's history to a time of Emperors and Empresses. There is a murder in the inter-court. Inspector Gong is not allowed where the Ladies and Concubines live. It is forbidden. But Lady Seyi is still dead. How to investigate? After the inspector informs the lady's sister-law of her death they decide that she Lady Li will go undercover to investigate the murder. Lady Li has been a Lady-in-waiting to the Empress before. Join Inspector Gong and Lady ...more
Carol
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC and this is my honest review.
I absolutely loved this mystery. Amanda Roberts has captured the atmosphere and describes the courts and settings very well. Her focus on the fine details bring the characters to life. It is not hard to imagine the boredom of the ladies in waiting, the fear of the courtiers, the reverence and scrapping of kowtowed heads and whispered voices in the presence of the Empress. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to the next. Love the cover
Chelsea
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.

A great story that the author clearly did research for. The author makes readers feel like they are really in the world with vivid descriptions and frequent action. Full of action surrounding politics, the murder, and drama within the court the pages turn by themselves. I’m not sure where the next book will go but I’m excited to find out. Lady Li is a unique character with aspirations and that makes her some
Margaret
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder in the Forbidden City (Qing Dynasty Mysteries Book 1) is written by Amanda Roberts. This fictional murder mystery provides the reader with a view of life in 1867 China. Fans of murder mysteries will see the challenges posed by the social mores of the time as well as the classes existing then. To overcome these obstacles and find the murderer, a great deal of cleverness must be employed. It is a fascinating look at history we rarely have access to in China.
Hollie-Mystery Girl 27
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read I couldn't put it down!!! The story starts off with the murder of fifteen year old Lady Yun a lady in waiting to the Empress of China in 1867. You are drawn in by murder, suspense, twists and a forbidden romance. I recommend this as a fast intriguing read. One that will want you hoping and praying for the sequel. I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Saundra Wright
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An intimate look behind the walls of the Forbidden City with Lady Li as she helps solve a murder. This book hits the spot for history and mystery buff alike, giving a realistic view of life in China and a great murder to solve, developing characters you will hope to meet again in the future. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Greeshma Karkera
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story. However some of the things are very similar to her other Book, Threads of Silk, and most of the characters seem repeated with a little changes to their name. But this book did keep me hooked till the very end. I loved how the tale twisted in the end and left me dumbfounded. A nice read.
Ashley
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A murder mystery that takes place in Chinese history! Love murder mysteries, love asian locations, and history! All this combined is just a wonderful piece of work that anyone who likes those things will enjoy. The murder is so suspenseful I was hooked right up until the end. I can't wait to read more along these lines from Amanda Roberts.
Natasha Ybarra
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A murder set in a different country, in a different time. This was a true who done it and it kept you guessing until the very end. This was a fabulous read that kept me turning pages just to find out what would happen next!

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
Rick
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit it's not a modern classic or anything, but it's interesting and well-written enough that I wish the author would get the hell on with finishing the second story.
Barb VanderWel
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
Alec Caveira
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall this was really good, I especially loved the setting, and how the author managed to make me feel like I was actually there with the characters. I also liked the way the mystery unraveled, and I think the reveal made a lot of sense, yet I hadn't been able to guess the murderer.
However, I didn't really care about the romance plot line at all. It kind of seemed to come out of nowhere and not add anything to the story.
There were also some quotes that came across as really transph
Laurence
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well researched, highly readable and entertaining

The novel is set in nineteenth century China, as westerners are beginning to enter and trade with China. When one of the emperor's ladies inwaiting is murdered, a police inspector is charged with finding the murderer. However, cultural rules and court structure prevent him from entering the forbidden city to interview witnesses or view the scene of the crime. He must enlist the aid of a noble woman who is related to the victim, to help his search. As
Penny
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I enjoyed reading the book. I had just finished a book by another author that was about the Chinese Imperial Court from the same time period. I thought based on the two books, that the author did a good job showing the flavor of the court and what it was like. The only thing that was a little jarring was her use of some very modern phrases that would not have even been used by English speaking people of that time period, "kids" instead of children, and the phrase "no way". Otherwis
Pamela
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining!

I found the book to be a great light read! I enjoy books that are placed both in a foreign climate and a historical time. China bro g one of my favorites. It is a great plot, really, with a world hidden from most people. I do think the author could have done with more, research, as I found it less believable than I would have liked regarding a couple of details. However, a great read and glad I found it!
B.E.
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An interesting look into 19th century China and its Imperial Court with what seemed like more updated language for more modern readers. Plus, it had an intriguing mystery with plenty of twists and a whodunnit I didn't see coming. Good stuff. The hint of romance was surprising, but cool. Definitely worth a read. I'm glad I picked this one up. It was a refreshingly different read while still feeding my love of mysteries.
Deborah Necessary
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love anything about the Orient. This book set in China and most of the action taking place in the Forbidden City was just my cup of tea. The opulence, but the sheer waste amazed me. I mean 100 dishes for the Empress, I mean give me a break. A great murder mystery that kept me guessing until the end!
Anita
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent mystery 5 stars

Historical China. Murder in the inner court. How can the inspector investigate the crime when he cannot even view the location of speak to any of the many possible witnesses. Intrigue. Romance. A very different culture. Surprise solution. Believable characters. Suspense.
Karen
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is ok

This is an "unsuitable man and high born lady solve mysteries and become lovers" series. This setting being China instead of English society is what makes it stand out. I was not a fan of the writing style- it was almost "YA" - kind of juvenile. I do intend to read the next book in the series, as I did enjoy the setting and the mystery.
Yanper
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was not bad, certainly not a big mystery, but well written. The story happens in China inside the imperial palace in the forbidden city and this fact makes the difference with every other crime mystery.
Phil Ellenberger
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed

Good mystery. My first insight into Chinese (historical) culture was an enjoyable venture. The forbidden city is fascinating. One thing we lean is that the society has much in common all over the world
Elsbeth
I really enjoyed this mystery set in China. To learn more about China in the 1900's and especially life in the Forbidden City. Combined with a good mystery. Couldn't be better!
I' m looking forward to reading the next book in this series!
Susanne
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This was enjoyable, reading about a different culture, but I would have liked a more 3D version, particularly of the inspector hero. Quite aside from the cultural attitudes that come with such a setting, he came across as flat and arrogant, with a sudden flip to being 'understanding' of the heroine's qualities.
However, I would like to try the next book in this series to see if these protagonists are more fleshed out. Recommended.
Peter Gerrie
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
A reasonably engaging murder mystery. Perhaps I will read others
Jacki Prettyman
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I seldom give a 5 star rating but this book definitely deserved it. It grabbed and kept my attention and when I was done I immediately bought the second in the series.
Michele Kabacinski
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little slow in starting, suspense becomes very real in the last quarter of the book. Ending was a contrived, mass-market appeal disappointment.
Su
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, easy and entertaining read.
Rachel Cacek
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An original myster

An intriguing story set in the time frame of ancient Chinese culture. An Imperial palace beset with plotting, and murder.
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Please merge/combine 4 18 Jun 03, 2019 02:32PM

• By Any Means (Men of Our Times Book 1)
  • Servant of the Crown: A Two Book Set (Servant of the Crown Mysteries)
  • The Watanabe Name
  • The Bermondsey Poisoner (Penny Green #6)
  • The Northminster Mysteries Box Set 1: Books 1-3 (The Northminster Mysteries Box Sets)
  • Ginger Gold Mysteries Books 1-3 (Ginger Gold #1-3)
  • The Devil in Beauty (Lord Trevelin Mystery #1)
  • Web of Deceit (Dewey Webb Private Investigator #1)
  • Death Unholy (DI Tremayne Thriller #1)
  • City of Desire
  • The Only Secret Left to Keep
  • Last Secret Chamber (Joey Peruggia #2)
  • Gold Mountain (The Laramie Series, #5)
  • A Dandy in Aspic
  • The Girl Puzzle: A Story of Nellie Bly
  • Moriarty Meets His Match (A Professor & Mrs. Moriarty Mystery, #1)
  • Live Wire (What Doesn't Kill You #13; Maggie #1)
  • An Unwelcome Guest (Penny Green Series Book 7)