Start by marking “Under Her Cursed Scythe (The Blessed or Cursed Series Book 0)” as Want to Read:
Under Her Cursed Scythe (The Blessed or Cursed Series Book 0)

Under Her Cursed Scythe (The Blessed or Cursed Series Book 0)

A harmless small town girl by day and a merciless killer at night.
Published October 20th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Under Her Cursed Scythe, please sign up.
J.M. Wong You may or may not know that the whole process of writing & publishing this novel is all part of an EXPERIMENT of mine. And one of the things I…moreYou may or may not know that the whole process of writing & publishing this novel is all part of an EXPERIMENT of mine. And one of the things I experimented on is breaking traditions. Two of the things I did to breakthrough traditions are starting the novel with just dialogues and adding Chinese characters in the story:

(1) The dialogues at the beginning are referenced to the format of a play script plus how Chinese novels normally start their stories.

Unlike typical English fictions, a lot of Chinese novels do not give a clear sense of what the characters look like, a distinct image of who the character is or give out the setting at the beginning of their stories, they let the readers guess and only reveal this info in the middle or even at the end. That's also used in movies and animes (rarely in English written works though) where the characters' appearance is obscured at the beginning, only to be revealed in the middle or when necessary. I have always enjoyed that sense of mystery when reading Chinese novels like that and watching movies with this kind of openings.

(2) The Chinese characters are placed there intentionally to see whether readers can see another function of words-treat them as pictures.

This might not happen for English words but if you have some knowledge concerning the Chinese characters, you will know that their forms can be seen as pictures and their meanings are generated from these "pictures". Though readers might not understand the meaning behind the Chinese characters, I am trying to see whether they can overcome this lack of knowledge on the meaning of those words and simply treat them as pictures in between words. (Of course, for those who understand Chinese, they would definitely see something more out of those Chinese characters, perhaps a pattern or an old Chinese fairytale I referenced to.) I have seen Chinese novels doing that and I really want to share this style of writing with English speakers as well, to understand the complexity and beauty of novels written in Chinese.

What's more, I wanted to do these two things because I am starting to get tired of the none-changing style of writing but I do understand it's hard for some people to accept this style immediately. Thus, I would say this book is suitable for readers who are not constrained by the traditional style of English books, want a taste for a new style of writing and are open to new forms of fiction. If you are interested, do read the book and tell me your feelings concerning these two "abnormals" in this book!

p.s. Thank you for those who have left their thoughts on my book! Your feedback surely provide me valuable lessons and data for future reference!(less)

Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

"A harmless small town girl by day and a merciless killer at night."

Any premise that starts with this line is going to immediately capture my attention!! Then add in a reaper and a shadowy group chasing her and I was all in for Under Her Cursed Scythe. You may be skeptical... surely this girl wasn't really a killer... BUT she IS!! And it's an incredible, wild ride!! And by an indie author from Hong Kong...

The copy I received has an upd
Madhu MaBookYard -
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Rating : 4🌟

I ended up LOVING the characters so much!!!Omg I can't believe I read this book in a single sitting!!
Thankyou J.M.Wong for the review copy! 😍
This book revolves around our main character Alivia, who tries really hard to help her family as well as escape the clutches of the 'Blessers'. The first thing I really loved about this book was the format in which the story is told. So it starts at a later date, and as the plot progresses, you get a flashback of the events that happened lead
Krutika Puranik
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Under her cursed scythe.
~
Thank you for the review copy @j.m.wong :)
~
I have never been too fond of fantasy novels but lately I am more welcoming in my attempts to give them a try. So when my eyes fell on this cover, I was more than happy to give it a read. Under her cursed scythe is a fantasy young adult novel and first in its series.
~
Alivia, the protagonist is not a normal teenager for she carries within herself the deepest secrets. While she looks like any other young girl during the day, she t
Ronita Banerjee
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Name- Under Her Cursed Scythe
Written & Published by- J.M. Wong
Pages- 556 (A6 Paperback Version)

Review-
What is it exactly that forces a sweet young girl to reap souls mercilessly?
Alivia, is a 13 year old school girl. Mistaking her as sweet and innocent might cost you your soul.
A school girl in the morning and a reaper of souls at night, Alivia's life is anything but normal with her ever demanding mother and her zombie of a brother for whom she painstakingly reaps innocent soul so as to please
A.L.I.E.N
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Title : Under Her Cursed Scythe

Author : J.M. Wong

Format : Paperback

Length : 560 pages

My Take on this book :

Cursed Scythe is a first book in the blessed or cursed series.

Cursed Scythe is a perfect blend of magic, mystery,pain, happiness,spells and so on…

If some ask me, what the book is actually about ?? I will say that it is a blend of Harry Potter and Lord of the rings.

It is a story of a girl Alivia and her death, a Cursed ring which she holds….her unexpectedly meeting with Blessers… Will she a
Kaushik Chakraborty
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
According to me , picking up the character of Alivia is quite interesting . Alivia , a 13 year school girl during day time and a reaper of souls at night , a merciless killer at night .
This is a dark fantasy , which reminds me very much of #halloween .
But then she meets a particular blesser (a group of "agents" who are neither Witches nor Witch hunters but bear features of both) and doubts in herself fo
Kritika  Gupta
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a mind-boggling, thrilling and awesome novel it was!
The first part of “The Blessed or Cursed Series”, by J.M.Wong, under her Cursed Scythe is very amazingly written with all the characters well described. At first by the cover of the book, I wasn’t able to make out what the story is all about, but later as I dived deeper into the novel, I was not able to keep this aside due to the curiosity that emerged in me about what is going to happen next.
The story is about this little girl named Aliv
skiltonsbooks
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is centered around a young girl named Alivia. She spends her days slumbering in school, always being on the bad side of luck, which has branded her "The Jinx" by her classmates. By night, however, Alivia hunts down and reaps the souls of marked ones with the help of her ring. That is until one day she gets tracked down by the blessers- agents who collect reaper's rings.
As we get closer and closer to halloween, Alivia begins to question her reaping ways and begins to uncover secrets abou
Toya
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book starts out a bit confusing because we are thrown into a scene where a boy who was murdered is trying to recount the last memories surrounding his life to a mysterious being in a purgatory-like environment. The boy’s memories are incredibly foggy, but one thing that he vividly remembers is being killed by a girl 8 days prior to Halloween.

Alyvia is a fourteen-year old grim reaper. Every night, she must reap souls on behalf of her tyrannical mother in order to restore her brother’s soul. W
Rutuja Ramteke
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
❤Under Her Cursed Scythe By J.M Wong❤
Genre: YA Fantasy
Book 1
Plot: A harmless small town girl by day and a merciless killer at night.
Alivia stops at nothing to reap souls. But, unlike other murderers, her soul remains intact. When she unexpectedly encounters the Blessers- a group of "agents" who are neither Witches nor Witch hunters but bear features of both, she begins to doubt her decisions of killing, and eventually leads her to discovering the dark secrets behind her witchy family and that
Priyambada Das
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book- Under Her Cursed Scythe
Author- J.M. Wong
Pages- 556

A sweet little girl disguised as a soul reaper
The moment you're mistaken by her looks as a sweet, innocent girl, you'll be dead with your soul ripped by her.

But why would a school going, leading a normal life by the day, 13 year old girl Alivia turn into such a monster at night ?

With a super thrilling fantasy with a Soul Reaper on the chase by a group of Blessers, the Author has done a fantastic job at weaving a mind-blowing fantasy, an
Disha Ray
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
🎀 The cover of the book is very simple. It shows the appropriate theme. I liked it's colour. The title justifies the book.
🎀 The characters are very unique and different. They seems a bit confusing at the beginning but later as the story picks up it's pace, the characters are developed perfectly. Appreciation to the author for the hard work.
🎀 The character of Alivia is very interesting. I liked her character a lot.
🎀 The plot is amazing. I liked the story line. It was refreshing.
🎀 The book i
Sukanya   (theemptycartridge)
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
It is the first book in the 'Blessed or Cursed' series by the author. This book is a mixture of several magical fantasies including Harry Potter. The book is filled with magic, spells, love, hate, pain, etc. Alivia, a small girl is on a mission set by her mother that needs to reap souls for a ritual. Alivia, although hates to do this but accepts it in order to win some love from her mother who only intends to love her zombie son. Deprived of mother's love, Alivia reaps out almost adequate souls ...more
Chresann Dsouza
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a really amazing read. I truly appreciate the way the author has expanded the horizons of her imagination and creativity to pen down her story which is set up in a totally different world.

The Language used was easy going and lucid,
Though this book was 500+ pages, it kept me gripped till the end all credit for which goes to the amazing narration of this story.

The writing style was good and to the point, it does not bore the reader instead it keeps one engaged into it.

The plot was f
Kriz M
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Under Her Cursed Scythe This Is Not My Typical Genre But I Enjoyed Reading This Book. The Plot Was Interesting, The Narration Was To The Point And Easy To Follow. Loved Alivia And Her Brother Luke!!!

I Very MUCH Disliked The 'Supposed Mother'. Thoroughly Enjoyed The Friendships Displayed And The Way Joshua And Alivia's Relationship Evolved Throughout The Book As The Story Progresses.

Overall It Was A Very Unique Story Being Added To The Fantasy Genre World. My Only Critique Is That It Couldve Be
Zel
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
(The author kindly sent me a finished copy of this book. In no way are my views and opinions of this book tainted because of it.)

When the author first approached me offering to send me a copy in exchange of a copy, I immediately agreed because I'm in dire need of fantasy books about Grim Reapers, angels, demons and not just the usual magic stuff because I need a breather from those.

I have mixed emotions about this book. I'm on the Gray part where I like it and I don't. But first, let's break it
DTBooks
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had mixed feelings about saying okay to reading this book when J.M. Wong first approached me on Instagram. Don’t get me wrong, I love supporting small authors and indie authors, but I am often weary of reading work done by authors whose first language is not English. I am am sure they all write beautifully in their native tongue, but translating to English does not always go well and things can be confusing or just a bit too simple for me to really enjoy. However, I read the summary on amazon ...more
Erika O’Neill
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
1.5/5⭐

So..as much as I wanted to, I didn’t like this book. In fact, I had to DNF it, because the grammar and spelling was so wrong, I felt like I couldn’t understand what was going on. I DNFed after about 3 chapters, 30 pages in.

So first of all, the GRAMMAR. I am really picky about grammar as incorrect grammar makes me cringe so hard. I wouldn’t recommend reading this book if that’s a pet peeve.

There was also incorrect French grammar which drew the line for me. There was a part that included th
Elena Bishop
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a long book but an exciting one. As mentioned in the "warning" part, it requires you quite a lot of patience before you realize where the hidden gems were.

It sparked my curiosity when the book started without a clear description of the appearance of the characters in the first chapters. I was confused at first, but then, I understood the purpose of it. The crazy part about this book is that I think there is not a definite answer as to who one of mysterious speakers was because I thought it
Haniah
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
The plot of the book is interesting but the dialogue was unnatural and the writing didn't flow smoothly. The whole book was a little slow paced for my taste and it was hard to be fully invested in the story-line. There wasn't adequate world building or character development. I really tried to like the book but it just wasn't my cup of tea.I am grateful to the author for sending me a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
Stacia | stacialovestoread
I buddy-read this book with an Instagram friend, and from the off we both had issues with the book. For her, it was that some of the French phrases were not translated properly. I never would’ve caught these issues, because I do not speak, nor do I know French. However, the issues that caught my eye were the various grammar and spelling problems. Are usually try to read through grammar issues, especially with self-published authors, but this one I feel needed a second look before making it to th ...more
Hennie
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
3.5 stars. Thank you J.M.Wong for providing me a copy of your book in exchange for an honest review.

Just finished reading this book and it was okay-ish. Slightly confusing in several parts. Let's start at the beginning, the first couple of pages (5) when we meet our first characters the speech is just off, also their actions. For example:  Soon!? Then where is this? Why am I- (is still struggling to comprehend the whole situation). Maybe it's just me but I've never seen actions in brackets. As
Katherine
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found the book in a book exchange corner and I am glad that I found it! Like the author, English is my second language as well and knowing that she has written a book entirely in ENGLISH really inspires me a lot! I showed the book to my English teacher and she encouraged me to read it and write a review for it so here I am!

I was even more surprised when I finished reading the book. The plot is super intriguing! There were so many mysteries and it felt like Harry Potter and the Shadow Hunters b
Jdlreads
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author sent me a copy in exchange for an honest review. In no way, my reviews/opinions were affected or influenced by this.

The characters were awesome. They have their own distinct characteristic. All of them, they have their own strengths and weaknesses, and I think that is really important.

The first part was a bit confusing, but as the story goes, you will understand everything one by one.

There were grammatical errors, the choice of words was sometimes terrible.

I think the author was tryin
Natasa ❤️ Herondale
Jun 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs-ebook
I was so confused into what was going on throughout the beginning of the book. I understood some scenes . But I felt like the events that where happening overshadowed the world building which was non existent .
There might be a good story here but just this story isn’t for me. I need to give J.M.Wong some credit and getting it published.
Thank you J.M Wong for sending me a copy of your book in exchange for a honest review.
Karen
Man Reader King
Alexander The Reader
J.M. Wong
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Bhavini Vijayanathan