Jump to ratings and reviews

The Macalisters #3

An Improper Encounter

Lady Sarah Hartford is beautiful, wealthy, widowed, and bored. After agreeing to a scandalous dare to seduce a stranger into her bedchamber, she meets the devilishly handsome doctor, William Gordon. Though both keep their true identities hidden, an intense romance blooms between them, and Sarah finally feels like she could be happy again.

After a three-day affair ends when they arrive in London, William promises to reunite with Sarah after dealing with his ailing father, the reason to which he was summoned to London. But three months pass, and Sarah begins to lose hope of ever seeing her lover again.

Until one day, when he arrives on her doorstep, married, a duke, and with a pregnant duchess in tow. As the pair try to untangle truth from lies while keeping their history a secret from everyone around them, they realize they may never be together.

320 pages, Paperback

First published November 1, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Erica Taylor

12 books150 followers

Erica Taylor is a mother of two and military wife married to her high school sweetheart. Raised in the mountains of Colorado, she holds a BA in History from the University of Colorado. Erica has been writing stories since she can remember, picked up her first romance novel while on a beach vacation as a teenager, and fell in love with falling in love, with sexy heroes and the feisty women who challenge their lives.

www.EricaTaylorAuthor.com
Twitter: @EricaTayor

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (2%)
1 star
2 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 58 reviews
Profile Image for RachelReadsandSings.
1,199 reviews369 followers
December 27, 2018
Overall, I think it’s a good historical romance, but this book was too long. I think it could have been condensed a bit and the story would have still been good.

Also, there was so much drama that the romance definitely took a backseat, which doesn’t make sense when this is supposed to be a ROMANCE novel. And when the drama was finally resolved and William and Sarah FINALLY got together, it was with only 2 pages of the book left! So we end up not even getting a glimpse of what their life together is like once they get married and settle down.

So, I mean....it was good, but def not my fav historical romance.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for providing an e-arc in exchange for an honest review!
Profile Image for Angela.
4,045 reviews48 followers
February 16, 2019
4 Stars

An Improper Encounter is the third book in The Macalisters Series by Erica Taylor. This is an historical/regency romance with some drama, angst, mystery, and suspense. You don’t need to have read the other two books before reading this one, but they would provide wonderful backstories, and give character information that would give you an enhanced reading experience. Even though each book in this series focuses on one particular Macalister, the others all make appearances and we get snippets of what’s happening in their lives too. I am enjoying getting to know the Macalisters and following them on their stories.
This book is Sarah Macalisters story, she became the mother figure to her siblings when their own mother died, and she ‘raised’ them to be a loving and tight-knit group. She then went on to get married, but her husband soon died, leaving her a very wealthy widow. She meets Dr. William Gordon on her travels, and on a dare engages in a scandalous affair. What was just meant to alleviate her boredom, and add a little spark into her life, becomes far more complicated than either could have imagined. Their three day affair awakens feelings that neither really expected- and they begin to make plans together. But Ms. Taylor didn’t make it easy for them, adding a twist or two to make things interesting. Will they find their happiness together? Or will there be too many obstacles in their way?
I recommend this story (and series) to anyone who likes historical/regency romance.

Thank you, Ms. Taylor!
Profile Image for Kristin.
953 reviews94 followers
April 23, 2019
I would like to thank netgalley and Amberjack Publishing for a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

This is book 3 of the Macalister series, and focuses on Sarah, the oldest sibling.

I love this series and really enjoyed Sarah's story. The twists are unique and not overly predictable. I can't wait for the next book.
Profile Image for Tracy Wilkin.
1,115 reviews15 followers
February 20, 2019
An Improper Encounter is book three in the Macalisters by Erica Taylor. These stories from yesteryear are a delightful and much welcome change to my reading regime. A talent with the words, Erica Taylor can certainly keep a reader captivated and eager for more. The story was complete, with characters that were engaging and enigmatic, with personalities and desires not commonly norm for the era. I love reading about a more risque character, and Lady Sarah Hartford is all that, and more. Her and William embarked on an intensely mysterious love affair, while hiding their true identities. If that didn't get your blood flowing, then something is wrong. The William disappears, only to reappear months later.

Such a delicious story, shrouded in mystery, lies and deception. Heartbreaking decisions, secrecy and a bone deep connection has them struggling to keep afloat. A plethora of emotions were wrenched from me. Suspenseful right until the end, I was entranced with the characters and the context it was written in. A mystifying tale that would suit most readers. 4 stars

Profile Image for Kelly.
194 reviews10 followers
April 5, 2021

It was overcomplicated for no reason. There’s an “oh no he’s trying to kill me” plot introduced in the third act. There’s a bunch of cows trying to get money in the third act. For a romance that started out as a romance and had a promising twist in the middle, it petered out quickly into something that was just silly.

Furthermore, there’s so many things being done here that don’t wash with the time period. One or two you can say, “Well, okay. Odd but there’s some precedent.” After the fourth or fifth, you just throw your hands up. The sad thing is that I was enjoying the book until it became a story about a bunch of strange machinations regarding titles and money with everyone acting like morons.

Pttt.
Profile Image for Sara Oxton.
3,270 reviews12 followers
February 18, 2019
An Improper Encounter by Erica Taylor a five-star read that is most certainly proper. This is the third novel in the Macalisters series, they can be read as stand alone but I have read them as a series and enjoyed them more as such. If you like the historical romance genre then you will enjoy this series. Sarah is definitely my favourite character in this series, she has so much thrown at her but still is a lady throughout. There were parts that dragged a little, bit overall at the end I was happy I had read it.
Profile Image for Ira.
687 reviews10 followers
January 12, 2019
This book kept me on my toes but it also made me rather furious when something rather predictable happened - and people got hurt. Really hurt. Ugh. Unfortunately, the solution was also somewhat predictable sooooo... I was really torn. I loved the story on the whole and I really really loved our hero and our heroine but there were some twists and turns, well,...

William is a wonderful character and Sarah is just amazing. I loved how she dared reach for what she wanted, be it an improper encounter (or some part of it at least) or her dreams.
William, on the other hand, is rather predictably honorable, which is a part of the problem.

On the whole, it is a rather fast-paced story with lots of action, heartbreak and happiness that would have been good and it did actually entertain me well, even though I was missing ...well.. something. I enjoyed reading it and will read it again though.
Profile Image for Cailin Riley.
Author 1 book20 followers
December 21, 2018
This book was an intriguing mix of sweet and spicy. The romance between Sarah and William builds fast at the beginning, before their lives suddenly go separate ways. However, they eventually meet again under different circumstances and it is captivating to see whether or not they will reunite. The chemistry between the two characters is sizzling and I liked how the main protagonist, Sarah, was not your average simpering heroine. She has a little bit of bite and has a strong side that she rarely shows other people. The only thing that could have been improved upon was the pacing of the second half of the book. After such a fast-paced and tumultuous first half, it was a bit disconcerting when the action slowed to a snail's pace. It was almost painful waiting for Sarah and William to throw propriety to the wind and just get together again.
All in all, I think this is a pretty solid romance for anyone who is a fan of the genre or hopes to try it out.
Profile Image for Amina Ibrahim.
62 reviews27 followers
January 25, 2019
Lady Sarah Macalister, a widowed marchioness is  a dragon-in-making of the ton along with her sister-in-law. On their travel to London Sarah is dared to warm her bed by a stranger for the night and she agrees. Thus comes the entry of William Gordon, a handsome surgeon soon-to-be a duke. Because of an accident they continue their journey together during which they fall in love with each other. When the journey ends William promises to come for her after meeting his dying father. Sarah waits for him but he never shows up until three months later at her brothers residence with a heavily pregnant wife. What happens after that? Is this the end of a happy life Sarah imagined? How do they go through the aftermath when a web of lies and deceit is closing in on them?
An Improper Encounter is a splendid historical romance. All the characters were so in-depth, I fell in love with of them. I am curious to know Anna’s life story, Her character was so complex. I loved how Sarah finally prioritized her happiness and achieved what she wanted to, leaving behind her family whom she thought of like a mother. Sarah is one of the strongest female characters I’ve ever read. Erica Taylor is one of my favorite authors from now on. Definitely going to read her other Macalister books.
Profile Image for Jamie Jack.
Author 1 book81 followers
March 6, 2020
Regency Widow Gone Wild Goes Completely Sideways

After reading the first two books of this Macalister series, I was surprised by the first scene of this one. It was just so different from what I had read earlier in the series. As I do like the Regency Widows Gone Wild trope, I was curious to see where the author was going to go with this.

And I certainly did enjoy a ride for a while. I found the hero and heroine’s interactions as they suffered the storm and made their way to London to be fun and just the right amount of naughty. In this section, the author actually did a good job showing their rapidly developing relationship, and it actually seemed believable. Unfortunately, the book went off the rails for me about midway in the book with the shocking revelation at her family’s Christmas celebration. I was stunned. I hadn't seen it coming at all, which is actually bad, as I think a big thing like that needs to be foreshadowed. Honestly, I almost put the book down to that point, as I felt tricked by the author. But I did like these characters, so I wanted to see how this would shake out.

Unfortunately, I thought the author did a poor job of untangling the mess she had created. She over-complicated it, trying to make everything have relevance and meaning, even when it did not. It was so bad that even one of the bad characters admitted that he didn’t know why he did one of the particularly evil things. That should never happen in a well-written story. Why at that pivotal near-end scene did the agent of the Crown not jump in at some point earlier when the gunfire started? I also thought the heroine in some of this later part acted like a confused, immature ninny. Why would she suddenly start acting that way when she wasn't remotely like that at the beginning? I thought she was far too modern in her thinking for a Regency woman. Also, some terms used by the author did not exist 200 years ago. One final thing: For a woman who considered herself barren, I would have loved to have seen her have a child of her own. All in all, I found this to be a disappointing book.

I received a free copy of this book, but that did not affect my review.

My book blog: https://www.readingfanaticreviews.com
Profile Image for Shelby.
104 reviews
December 24, 2018
***ARC was provided to me for a fair and honest review***

Overall rating: 3.5/5 I loved everything that happens before the pair reach London, then the story slows down considerably for me.

Heroine (Sarah): 4/5 She is the widow to an abusive man who never loved her. Now Sarah travels from house party to house party with her friend and sister-in-law Lydia, a widow herself. Sarah wants more out of life than what the ton can offer. She would love to become a midwife and help new life enter the world.

Hero (William): 3/5 Will is the bastard son of an aristocrat and is very insecure about that fact. He made a name for himself in Scotland as a doctor and a surgeon. He is asked to right some wrongs and fill shoes he never wanted in the first place but does so out of a sense of duty.

Plot: 3.5/5 Two strangers a widow and a mysterious gentleman meet and pretend to be husband and wife at a full in and end up enjoying each other’s company enough to travel together on the road for a bit. Neither want to face what awaits them at the end of their journey. William’s estranged father is dying and wishes to see him one last time. Sarah’s family that she loves but sees in them what she has been denied; happy marriages and children. They fall for each other quickly but what awaits William in London throws up some roadblocks to their happiness.

Personal Review: Everything before they reach Sarah’s family was brilliant and worth the read, but once William goes his father and comes back married, the story becomes harder to get through.

I enjoyed the pacing of the first half of the book but I was expecting Will and Sarah to have more time together when they were reunited at Christmas instead of the brooding and non fights they had.

Honestly, poor Anna. She was complicite in the schemes but she didn’t really have a choice in the matter and paid the ultimate price for her deception.

Slight spoiler, but if you read the plot provided by the publisher, not really:
I have a hard time believing that Will would not send word from London as he promised to do instead of letting Sarah believe something had happened to him. Every other part of his character and utter sense of duty dictates he wouldn’t just leave her without explanation. I know he does address it but it still doesn’t fit with his character.
Profile Image for Laura Furuta.
2,046 reviews25 followers
February 9, 2019
An Improper Encounter (The Macalisters Book 3)
By: Erica Taylor
5 out of 5 stars

The story An Improper Encounter (The Macalisters Book 3) by Erica Taylor is a historical romance book. It is a story that I loved reading just as much as the first two books in the series. It is set in a time that there are rules of society and how one lives their lives. To go against the rules can cause scandal and leave a permanent mark on a person. It is in this time period that Lady Sarah Hartford meets William Gordon. I loved Lady Sarah’s character. She is a woman who is strong and independent. I loved reading about how the romance between her and William starts. Lady Sarah begins to feel like she has found happiness. William then disappears and reappears married, a duke, and with a pregnant duchess. While trying to keep their relationship a secret both Lady Sarah and William try to uncover the truth from lies. Read this book to find out what happens. This is a story that hooked me in from the very beginning and didn’t let me go until I had finished the last page. It took me on an emotional rollercoaster that continually went up and down. I found myself caring about Lady Sarah and William with each chapter that I read. I also enjoyed reading about the other characters in the story. Some of them are familiar as they have been brought forward from the first two books in the series. There is bantering and flirting that goes on between Lady Sarah and William as well as some steamy scenes that make the temperature in the room rise. Don’t miss out on a wonderful story that has some amazing characters. I highly recommend both the book and the series.
Profile Image for E.A..
941 reviews27 followers
February 19, 2019
An Improper Encounter (The Macalisters #3) by Erica Taylor was an engaging, steamy read, that had me hooked from start to finish.

Not my first read by this author or in this series, needless to say but I'm a little hooked on this series. I've always been visitor to historical fiction but never stay longer than a few books here and there. This book opens in a bar setting, already telling you this isn't going to be your normal historical fiction. This series, has sparked a new reading fire, and I'm liking it.

Fast pace and steamy, we're tossed into the love affair right out of the gate, and it moves fast, fun and a little hot. I love the straightforwardness of Sarah, she's isn't just a proper lady. She's got sass and bight. She saw what she wanted and went after it. William was pretty okay as well, but I really enjoyed Sarah's character as a whole.

I will say that after the love affair, things did slow down a little bit. And that misunderstanding, was a little too predictable, and well, as much as I love Sarah, and that first half of the book, I just wish the second half had the same hot steamy engagement. I don't know if it was done to up the word count, but I felt like I was wading through mud to get to the point where Sarah and William finally got to be together again.

Overall I very much enjoy this story, so please take my super high recommendation and my stamp of approval, that you need to get your hands on not only this book but the others in the series.

Happy Reading

-E.A. Walsh
Profile Image for Jenni Bishop.
2,859 reviews22 followers
February 22, 2019
An Improper Encounter (The Macalisters Book 3) by Erica Taylor is an historical romance
with with lots of mystery and drama, heartache and suspense, scandal and attempted
murder, lies and deceit. As I have mentioned before historical romances are not my thing
unless they are done right and trust me Erica has done it right. The characters in this series
are family and are in each and every book, given there are so many of them, so I suggest
you read the other two books before reading this one, so you know and understand their
wonderful background and their stories, which makes the reading experience so much
better. Erica has thrown in quite a few twists to this plot and keeps you guessing all the way
through.
Sarah survived being ill treated in a horrible marriage but is now a widow. She helped/helps
raise her younger siblings after the death of her parents and has always acted like the lady
she is expected to be in society, even though she is tired of it. Whilst away, her best friend
dares her to put aside propriety and just live.
William Gordon gets the shock of his life, when stopping at an Inn, where he meets the
lovely widow. Travelling together brings them closer than they ever could have imagined and
promises were made. Unfortunately lies and deceit had other ideas that lead to pain and
heartache, sorrow and hate and broken hearts.
I recommend this series to all historical romance lovers and even those who are not and
want to take a chance like I did.
678 reviews5 followers
March 2, 2019
An Improper Encounter (The Macalisters #3) by Erica Taylor
5 out of 5stars
An Improper Encounter is the third book in the Macalisters series written by Erica Taylor
And it’s the second book that I have read by this author and I loved the story. The plot was excellent and well written. The characters are strong and well written and I the loved the banter and quirkiness from them as well. We even see what the other characters from the first two books are up too.
Lady Sarah Hartford has done her duty to her family. She is beautiful, wealthy, widowed, and bored. Her sister in law and herself are at a inn and after agreeing to a scandalous dare to seduce a stranger into her bedchamber, she meets the devilishly handsome doctor, William Gordon. Though both keep their true identities hidden, an intense romance blooms between them, and Sarah finally feels like she could be happy again.
After they arrive in London, William promises to reunite with Sarah after dealing with his ailing father, the reason to which he was summoned to London. But three months pass, and Sarah begins to lose hope of ever seeing her lover again.
A few months later he arrives on her doorstep, married, a duke, and with a pregnant duchess in tow. As the pair try to untangle truth from lies while keeping their history a secret from everyone around them, they realize they may never be together.
I really enjoyed this book an highly recommend this book
By
Tracy
@tracym

1,258 reviews3 followers
March 1, 2020
I really procrastinated over whether to pick up this book or not simply because of the book description indicating that the H, William, was quite possibly a cad and not worthy of H status. I am glad that I finally convinced myself to take a leap of faith in the writing skill of the author and go ahead and read it.
Sarah is a beautiful young widow and at the urging of a friend is looking to spice up her life a bit. She meets William when he is traveling to the deathbed of his estranged father. Although a bastard, his father had acknowledged him and given him his name. What follows is an agreement between them to travel together to London. While doing so they begin an affair that becomes a deep and true love. At least Sarah thought so anyway. After arriving in London William promises to come back for Sarah but he mysteriously disappears and shows up two months later with a pregnant wife! That part of the book description almost kept me from reading this book and I do still think William was a cad but you will have to read this to see just how Ms. Taylor manages to get Sarah and William their HEA. Needless to say, it does involve a surprising twist or two. You will fall in love with Sarah and you will also be tempted to give William a good swift kick to his derriere!

Profile Image for Michelle Austin.
2,606 reviews31 followers
February 18, 2019
An Improper Encounter was a good 4 star read and book three in The Macalisters series.

Sarah is a widow who is looking for a man to warm her bed. She was challenged by Lady Lydia Hartford, her widowed sister-in-law. They had a reward on the line. The winner is free from anything Radcliff for six whole months.

This is how she meets William. William is on his way to London when he stopped for the night. Intrigued by Sarah, he went along with her little game. These two end up traveling together and start to fall in love. Sarah is finally starting to feel happy again. When William disappears and reappears as a Duke with a pregnant wife, things change drastically.

Is he really married and if so why? Can Sarah and William figure things out and have a HEA?

Overall this was a fun read, I had some LOL moments with the bantering between them. The secondary characters were good, I liked seeing some of the other characters from previous books in the series. You can read this as a stand alone, however it’s best to start with book one. Erica Taylor does a great job of pulling you right in with her writing. I would like to see more from these two since it felt like it ended quickly, we do get a HEA which I was happy with. 1-click and get started today.
Profile Image for Katie.
2,082 reviews11 followers
February 12, 2019
An Improper Encounter (The Macalisters, #3)
By Erica Taylor
4 stars

An Improper Encounter was another wonderful read by Erica Taylor. I have really enjoyed all of the books in this series so far. The author’s attention to detail is second to none, she really makes it so easy for me as a reader to imagine what I am reading – at times it is like I am watching a period drama. I really liked the storyline for this book, it was a little different to what I have read before – I thought the characters were great. I loved the chemistry between Sarah and William! It was really believable. Sarah was a really strong female lead – I love it when this genre of story has such a strong, independent female main character. After everything she went through she seemed to come out fighting! I admire that about her.
After Sarah and Williams first encounter I have to admit that the rest of the way through the story I was rooting for them to find their way back to each other again. This book could be read as a standalone however I would absolutely recommend reading the first two books also as they are just as good as this one.
I look forward to reading more from this author again in the future!
Profile Image for Adrienne B.
248 reviews6 followers
December 28, 2018
An Improper Encounter is a refreshing and fun read. It is light and was engaging throughout. Sarah is a likeable, independent woman who refuses to conform to the expectations placed upon her. She struggles with her desire to be a useful and helpful member of society while also adhering to the customs of a woman in an elevated position. By default of birth and marriage, her goal is to rise to the highest levels of the ton. But when William Gordon walks into her life, she sees that her life can be much more fulfilling. William is a mysterious stranger who seems to be hiding many secrets behind his witty and adventurous personality. Sarah sees a chance to help rescue William, but in the end will their roles be reversed? And can their immediate attraction lead to anything long term or is it just a passing flirtation?

I would be happy to recommend Erica Taylor's newest novel An Improper Encounter , and also any other books in the Macalister series. I also want to thank NetGalley and Amberjack Publishing for a chance to read and review this book.
Profile Image for Delacey.
966 reviews4 followers
January 11, 2019
This was the first book by Erica Taylor that I've read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters were well developed and the plot was good. The pace of the story did slow down a bit in the second half, but a lot of that time was spent resolving the different threads woven into the story. The only thing I would have liked was a little more closure to Lydia's part of the story- unless of course she's getting a story of her own. This book had some humour and it also has my kleenex warning, so beware if reading in public. This is the third book in the series and can easily be read as a standalone, though if you want to read the earlier ones you should do so first - keep in mind the book order is not chronological- book 2 happens before book 1 and should be read in that order. Overall, a very good regency romance. *I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and this is my voluntary and honest review.
Profile Image for Sheri.
764 reviews1 follower
February 17, 2019
An Improper Encounter by Erica Taylor is the third book in The Macalister's series. This can be read as a standalone book but I recommend reading the other books because it lays some of the background down. The story is about Sarah Hartford and William Gordon set during in the past. Sarah is great because of being a submissive female she is strong and focused. This is a time period when reputations were very important and could ultimately make or break a person. Sarah and William had met in the past but when they meet again the circumstances have changed. Will they be a happily ever after?
I have enjoyed this series and this book as well. The characters are interesting and there is always a little bit of suspense to the stories. I also like that no one seems to be a complete dope. People are flawed but are smart enough and interesting. This keeps the stories progressing and me reading. I look forward to where this series progresses next.
Profile Image for Bridget Love to read Lewis.
1,528 reviews7 followers
November 23, 2019
A one night stand

Sarah takes a bet and a Scottish stranger to her room one night in an inn! Sarah chickens out and can't quite go through with it! A carriage accident rescued children and another night later Sarah has fallen in love with Will! Will is a Doctor of medicine and a Lord! He keeps much of himself from Sarah except he's a bastard he is deeply ashamed of not being legitimate but this does batter to Sarah! Will asked her to marry him and thus begins a tangled web of deceit! Will appears months later at Sarah's family home as a Duke and with a pregnant wife! Several times Will asked Sarah to be his wife and this is irritating to me! Will left Sarah for months and deceived her for months thinking the worst has happened to him! Torn between her feelings Sarah forges herself a career and a future but will it include Will! There are secrets revealed and trust broken! Will's fathers hatred ran deep you will have to read to find out how deep!
Profile Image for Nancy.
1,095 reviews15 followers
January 9, 2019
This is such a delightful story. Romance and mystery are thrown together to make a great story. Lady Sarah has been widowed for three years and yet still wears the grey of mourning, not because she loved her husband so dearly but because it is the proper thing to do. Her mother died birthing the ninth child and Sarah has worked to raise the family. Her brother is married so she has no real home but on her way to see her siblings she is caught in a terrible storm with her sister-in-law, Lydia. She makes the acquaintance of William Gordon a doctor from Scotland who has been summoned home by his father. They get to know each other without really knowing who the other one is. A deep love develops but it is not to be at this time. The story goes on to tell us what happens to them and how they wonder in and out of each other's life. Can they find love together? That is the question.
Profile Image for Katie Kearney .
1,046 reviews4 followers
February 15, 2019
An Improper Encounter (The Macalisters Book 3) By Erica Taylor. This author has definitely opened my eyes and mind to taking a liking to historical romance. I was never a fan but this series has had me rethinking that for sure. Once again the author writes a story that I just sank into and didn’t want to leave. The female main character Sarah is one of my favorites this year. I love the back and forth with Sarah and William they draw you in and don’t let go. The author does a wonderful job of writing characters and a storyline that plays out before your eyes. It’s well written and paced nicely never feeling rushed or lacking anything. I’m giving this book a five star review and highly recommend it to everyone.
4,369 reviews29 followers
February 26, 2020
Unexpected and wonderful tale.
Sarah meets William on a bet and a friendship of sorts grows. Neither had told the truth about who they really are but the fondness between them is still there. Then there is something major that stands in their way. That is not the only twists that will come to this couple. Can love survive a separation? Will they find each other again? These are question that are answered in this brilliant piece. It was a joy to read it had all the emotions, fear, sadness, happiness, loneliness, but most of all love to borrow a phrase from the author" Love is the only thing that truly matters in life.” Do yourself a favor and pick this one up. I did receive a free copy of this book and voluntarily chose to review it.
Profile Image for Sissy's Romance Book Review .
7,522 reviews16 followers
April 15, 2020
An Improper Encounter by Erica Taylor is book Three in The Macalisters Series. This is the story of William Gordon and Sarah Macalisters Hartford. I have read the previous books but I do feel you can make this a standalone book if you wish to do so.
Sarah is a widower who like many didn't care for their husband so she is done being in the morning stage for his death. While traveling she ends up being with William who is traveling to his father who is dying. Although William is not close at all to his father he does go forward to attend him. William and Sarah become close and even travel together some promising to meet again once William is done with his father. But when they do see each other again it appears that things aren't what they though it would be.

Profile Image for Dianna .
213 reviews
November 27, 2018
Wow. Erica Taylor has done it again. It was such a long wait for book 3, but it was so worth it. Taylor has such a way with words. I found myself caught up in the whirlwind of mystery and romance. My stomach was in knots. I found myself wiping my eyes as I hurt and grieved along with these characters. Sarah was such an empowering character and her story left me feeling strong and capable of many things. Sarah’s journey was filled with trials and Taylor’s words pulled me in and I felt like I was one of the Macalisters. I have come to care for these fictional characters and I’ve been sucked into their lives. Each one so unique and amazing. I cannot wait for book 4!
1,182 reviews9 followers
December 16, 2018
This is a well written story revolving around Sarah, a widow, and William, a doctor who later inherits a dukedom. They meet by chance at an inn, where Sarah’s friend challenges her to sleep tonight with a man she does not know. In walks William and the story starts. After delays due to bad weather, they develop an attachment to each other that is later tested. The story involves manipulation by his dying father, lies told by Anna and attempts on his life. The story is a good read and there is a lot that happens. They have a HEA but it takes about one year for everything to work out. It is s good read and I would recommend this book.
Profile Image for Margaret.
2,139 reviews12 followers
January 20, 2019
Almost

An illegitimate son is returning to London and his father's death bed. On the way, he's in a carriage accident during bad weather. Seeking shelter at an inn, they have no shelter available. A widow overhearing the conversation claims he is her husband and they share a room for the night. From there their lives become more entwined and complicated. I wouldn't put this book down until you finish it. There are so many twists and turns, it can get complicated keeping up with the story. Nevertheless by the end of the book, I realized I did enjoy it. Definitely an emotional rollercoaster.
1,399 reviews10 followers
February 9, 2019
Erica Taylor does a masterful job continuing her regency series and staying true to the characters already introduced in the previous series’ books. The writing style is full of wit, flawed characters, playful banter, a feisty heroine, and headstrong leading man. Familh continues to play such a large part in both main characters’ storyline development. Like Austen, the characters are prideful and bound to duty. And like Austen, these characters step boldly off the page and into your heart. Loved this book and series. Hoping there are more to come!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 58 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.