Start by marking “Valhalla” as Want to Read:
Valhalla

Valhalla

Sakuma has served as a Valkyrie for centuries, smoothly escorting thousands of souls to the grand halls of Valhalla. While the world tears itself apart during WWII, he is summoned to retrieve the soul of a fallen Japanese soldier, Ishii Hiroshi. To Sakuma's surprise, Ishii refuses his invitation to eternity.

The two meet again and again as the war repeatedly sends Ishii to
ebook
Published December 31st 2018 by Ninestar Press

To ask other readers questions about Valhalla, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valhalla

Start your review of Valhalla
E.M. Hamill
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this little short story. It was luminous and pure and left me with tears in my eyes.
Sammie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, loved
This was such a good read! I loved Sakuma and Hiroshi and the way Ashton represented their relationship. The love Ashton has for the characters is evident in every word, and the love the Sakuma and Hiroshi have for each other will give you the most amazing warm fuzzies imaginable. I highly reccomend this book =)
Joyfully Jay
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elizabeth
A Joyfully Jay review.

Valhalla is not a story about war, for all that war forms the backdrop. This is a story about a good man fighting, as best he can, for those he is responsible for. For the men in his unit, for the people who can’t defend themselves, for his country, even if he doesn’t agree with the direction his country has chosen or the men that have been called upon to lead it. For all that there is talk of Heaven and Valhalla (though they aren’t the same place), this isn’t a
Rian Durant
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
If I have to choose one word to describe this book, it will be ephemeral.

The synopsis it intrigued me, and I read it quite quickly. Although it didn’t have a “Wow!” effect for me, I’m glad I picked it.

Valhalla is mainly about the growing relationship between a human soldier who refuses to die before giving everything he can for his people and a Valkyrie who comes to take his soul away and then comes again and again for the same purpose, but it is no longer just the call of duty that beacons him
Valerie
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural
Short and very very sweet—with a surprising amount of banter for a story about trying to get someone to die
Evie Drae
When I sat down to start Valhalla by L.A. Ashton—from NineStar Press—I only intended to read the first chapter. I had a million things on my to-do list and simply wanted to spend a little me time with a good book and a cuppa Joe. However, next thing I knew, I was hitting the end and frantically swiping left in hopes of more words miraculously appearing on my phone.

I’ll be honest and say, when I’m hunting a pleasure read, I’m not one to pick up a historical anything, let alone a historical fantas
Shady
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of short stories, novelettes, and novellas and loved Valhalla which has officially become one of my favorites! I mostly read science fiction, but this story was very accessible and focused on human stubbornness and determination, so I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys fiction because it's just plain good. It has excellent characters who have a very fun dynamic, has a good pace that keeps you wanting to read it all in one sitting, and has a very satisfying ending. So, if ...more
Kazza
This novella is not too dissimilar in concept to Kendal McKenna's fantastic Nights In Canaan. Both are different to the normal fare. I would not describe Valhalla as "MM," nor a romance in any traditional sense of the word, but there is a connection between Sakuma and Ishii that cannot be denied, one that is more ethereal in nature.

Slightly longer review at
Potential-Moon-Banner-Goodreads.png
Melanie
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words review

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

For the full review, visit https://wp.me/p220KL-fI9 on 1/9

From that review: "I was lured in by this synopsis, a Valkyrie  sent to summon a soul of a soldier who refuses to die, believing his duty is not yet over.  And the emotional part of this story absolutely won me over.  The bond that grew between Sakuma and Ishii was powerful, based on a shared beliefs, and background even though they were centuries apart.  I found their rel
May
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
*Received an ARC from netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

When I first read the synopsis of Valhalla, the premise of the book was difficult to wrap my head around. There were so many elements that just didn’t seem like they would work together cohesively – WW2, Norse Mythology, Japanese characters – but I was wrong.

Ashton balances the numerous elements by keeping the rest of the backdrop pretty vague so that we, as readers, aren’t inundated with information. There are really only four ch
Amy
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you, NetGalley and the publisher for the chance to read this novella!

Title: Valhalla
Author: L.A Ashton
Genre: Fantasy romance
Release date: 31st December 2018
My Rating: 4 stars
Trigger/content warnings: Some violence and gore, descriptions of war.

Very emotional, sweet, gripping and fast-paced short story!
Extremely likeable and well-built characters, the world building was great, especially for a novella.

Set against the backdrop of WW2, Japanese soldier Ishii is dying. Enter Valkyrie Saku
Amy
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-them, arc-s
Wow, this was such a beautiful story, with a wonderful ending. It’s a story of a Valkyrie finding a mortal, a stubborn one, that doesn’t want to die over and over again in battles. They become friends in the times they see each other, and in the end, I’d say they fall in love or are falling in love. The ending is perfect in the only way in can be, and it’s so beautiful! This is a true gem of a story, and I can not say enough of how beautiful it is.
Alex Harrow
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the idea behind this story and its unique take on the Valkyrie myth!
Harlow Massey
Wow. Not sure what else to say other than... wow. This wasn't anything like what I expected it to be. It was a total delight. It will take you places you never even thought you wanted to go, yet you'll be clamoring for more. This is my second book by this author and I'm already bumping them up my TBR list for all future works.
˗ˏˋ eg ˎˊ˗
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, lgbt, read-2019
Set against the harrowing backdrop of WWII, the story that Ashton produced was so very human and deeply emotional. The connection that developed between Sakuma and Ishii was slow, tender, and filled with so much fun and respect. I loved it!
Leah
I very much enjoyed this novella and getting to watch Sakuma and Ishii get to know each other.

Read the full review on my blog.
A.R. Hellbender
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
For a story this short, it gave me so many feels. Also, Japanese queer valkyries. Need I say more?
AIly
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
2+ Nothing special, but at the same time not irritating, which is good. Could have been better if the book was lengthier and there were more details added to the non-Earth world description.
Adam
Lily M
Feb 27, 2019
Tawnya
Sep 09, 2019

• Bear, Otter, and the Kid (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #1)
  • The Cardigans (Criminal Intentions: Season One #1)
  • Textual Relations
  • Frost
  • NoX
  • Cult of Personality (Criminal Intentions: Season One #7)
  • Where There’s Smoke (Criminal Intentions: Season One #6)
  • It's Witchcraft (Criminal Intentions: Season One #5)
  • Changing Faces (Criminal Intentions: Season One #4)
  • The Man with the Glass Eye (Criminal Intentions: Season One #3)
  • Junk Shop Blues (Criminal Intentions: Season One #2)
  • Anhaga
  • Arrows Through Archer
  • Leo Loves Aries (Signs of Love, #1)
  • #Junkie (GearShark, #1)
  • Prey (Infected, #1)
  • Simple Men
  • Life Lessons (Life Lessons, #1)
L. A. Ashton is an LGBT+ author writing LGBT+ fiction. They enjoy rock music, traveling, and anything else that adds color to their daydreams. They believe in the healing properties of art and of having a cat firmly stationed on one’s lap. Their official site can be found at www.LAAshton.com. ...more

News & Interviews