Start by marking “Open Book” as Want to Read:
Open Book

Open Book

Jessica reveals for the first time her inner monologue and most intimate struggles. Guided by the journals she's kept since age fifteen, and brimming with her unique humor and down-to-earth humanity, Open Book is as inspiring as it is entertaining.

This was supposed to be a very different book. Five years ago, Jessica Simpson was approached to write a motivational guide to
Published February 4th 2020 by Dey Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Open Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open Book

Start your review of Open Book
Robyn
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 Sparrow Stars

What exceptional candid insight to self-discovery, and self-acceptance! This also had a strong spiritual element, which in particular drew me to choose this read. I’d always been curios about the teen pop star, Jessica Simpson and how she made it big with the help of her preacher father/manager. Then, went on to build her own billion dollar fashion line with her mother. This book goes in-depth—her honesty was sometimes shocking, but also refreshing.

The Newlyweds, that featured
Brianna
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bios
Y’all! This book is absolutely wonderful. Yes, Jessica spills the tea. She lets you know exactly what happened behind the scenes of her reality show and her marriage to Nick. She tells us how narcissist John Mayer is (who’s shocked?) Jess dishes on her relationship with Tony Romo (I forgot they dated?) Far better than all of these things, she’s raw and real about her entire life; about abuse she went through as a child, about plastic surgery, about her alcohol problems. Not to mention, Jessica ...more
Kate Nazzaro
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s easy to think of Jessica Simpson as a manufactured pop-tart, and in fact that may be partially true. But this woman is seriously courageous, and incredibly resilient. Imagine not only facing, but then exposing, *everything* about your regrets, failures, body image issues, problems with your loved ones, heartache, etc. in a book. The vast majority of us wouldn’t even face these demons, much less tell our entire community/family about it. She does that plus some- because she leaves herself ...more
Catherine
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
I listened to the audiobook version, which was narrated beautifully by Jessica Simpson. This book was heartfelt, heartbreaking, real, raw, honest, and genuine. I had a lump in my throat and teared up on a couple of occasions. I highly recommend reading this book, especially if you don’t have the greatest opinion of her. Listening to her words definitely changed my feelings about her (for the better). I think her struggles, admissions, and life lessons will also help a lot of people.
Regina Housh
A very self centered person who thinks she is special. Watch VH 1 for a much shorter version so you can read something substantial to refuel your soul.

I would not recommend this book. The only interesting parts have been revealed in the press. The rest is just self centered fluff.
Manny
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love biographies. Simpson did not let me down. A tale of her life from birth, sexual abuse, substance abuse, marriage, love and children. I will say that I was always used to watching Jessica as the virgin. In the book, she talks about "Sexual Napalm" and plenty of sex. I had to remember that she is a grown woman and has children.

Simpson writes about her failed Mickey Mouse Club audition and how Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears beat her out and how she ran into them again as her mother
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I contributed this review to Really Into This

Check out all of our reviews athttps://reallyintothis.com
Happy Reading, friends!

I listened to the audiobook of OPEN BOOK by Jessica Simpson. When I first heard Jessica was writing a memoir, I was not interested in reading it. I figure I'll get some juicy tidbits during the press tour & that will be good enough for me.

Well, the more I read about the book, the more I thought I may pick it up. On publication day, I throw caution to the wind &
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was probably one of the best celebrity autobiographies i've ever read. I do love Jessica Simpson. And i laughed and cried my way through this book with her.
Wendy S.
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book makes me wish we were friends. She is relatable, honest and perhaps most surprisingly, intelligent. Also, incredibly brave!
Lindsay
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, library
When I first saw that Jessica Simpson wrote a memoir I thought “oh great, another celebrity memoir. It’ll probably be short and full of pictures.” Sadly there’s no pictures. Then I saw that it was 400 pages long and thought “what could she possibly have to talk about for 400 pages?” Quite a lot it turns out.
She talks about:
Her drinking problem.
How her family didn’t have a lot of money when she was growing up. (I always thought that her family was well off.)
Being sexually abused by a family
Christy
Feb 15, 2020 added it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2020, celebs
Well that was seriously fun to read. Self-deprecating, warm, funny, personal. And dishy without ever veering into meanness.
KMS
Feb 07, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've always liked Jessica Simpson's music and clothing line so I thought I would really like this book. But, I didn't because it really is ridiculous unrealistic Hollywood fluff. I think it just affirmed that she seems to be a not too bright but beautiful celebrity that proved she cannot relate to normal people. She wrote a book about how she has been an alcoholic for a long time despite always being hyper focused on her children. She talked incessantly about loving herself and letting go off ...more
Lady Delacour
Cleanish.
A few Foul Words.
Adelle
4 1/2 stars

I’m surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. A lot of the big “reveals” are already out in the media, but you get more of an insight to the real person, Jessica’s background, and how she came to be who she is now. I wish there was more about her clothing business, but just seeing how she developed as a person was fun to read.
Leah Feltner
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don’t typically read celebrity autobiographies but I couldn’t help but pick this one up. I feel like I grew up watching Jessica through most of my teen years and all my adulthood. I even still own the DVD set of the show Newlyweds (although I never finished it because they had already divorced before I got through the DVD’s). ;-)
Jessica grew up close to where I did in Texas...I remember back in high school it was common to know someone who was friends with someone who had gone to school with
Jen
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh, my heart. In this book, Jessica Simpson truly reminds me of why I’ve always followed her so closely and adored her as my #1 favorite celebrity since her very first CD. I had started to lose hope in her in the past few years, but this book completely restored my respect for her.

This book gave me all the feelings and truly took me back in time. While I knew all the big events she talked about, the details were beyond intriguing. She brings the reader right into all the emotions along
The Story Girl
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it

I honestly didn't think I'd give this book more than 3 stars because how relatable could Jessica Simpson really be? And the beginning of the book proved me right. But then she started talking about her sexual assault, getting bullied in high school, and really started opening up. But it wasn't until she started talking about her problems with Nick (and how he took so much of her money), and then her relationship with John Mayer that I really connected. Because how manipulative he was?
Christy Kaehne (Marks)
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the way Jessica read (audiobook) this book and of course the content. She’s real, relatable and open about her struggles. She writes/reads her successes without boasting. One of the best celebrity biographies I’ve read!
Brittany
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very good. I read this in two sittings in one day. I am truly surprised at how much I enjoyed it because I’m not a huge JS fan. It was an honest look at many aspects of her life and was an entertaining read.
Beth
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I listened to the audio version which Jessica narrated herself and I was a little skeptical at first, didn’t know if her voice would be good as a narrator or not but it gave quite a bit to the story because she gets choked up several times and it made me choke up and the beauty of the expression she gives made this book work so well. Of course I loved the gossipy stories about nick (he seems pretty douchy) and John (REALLY effing douchy) but the story about losing her cousin was what really ...more
Holly
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
This was so entertaining! She reads it herself on the audiobook which I especially loved. If you have ever been a Jessica Simpson fan for any reason at any point of her life you need to read this book. She’s so open, surprisingly so throughout her entire career, dating, divorce, dating again, getting married again and having babies! I highly recommend and hope that you love it as much as I did!
Alicia
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thoughts:

- Ugh, Mayer can go to hell for what he did to her
- her religion is confusing to me but I'm glad she has it as it's clearly helpful to her
- #actualbossbabe much like Dolly
- I love ex-drunks because they are my people and I love a sobriety story that involves a non-traditional method (as in, non-rehab, non-AA)
- but ugh, Mayer suuuuuuuucccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkssssssssssss and now I'm upset because he probably did that to Katy Perry too and I love her

She's evolved and it was a fun book.
Katherine
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never been a fan of Jessica Simpson but this is an engaging and candid look at celebrity, the anxieties of always being famous but never quite as successful as her peers (Britney and Christina) and addiction. Simpson is appealingly open about the psychological effects of pursuing fame - the obsession with her weight, the reality show Newlyweds that finally made her as famous as she’d always wanted but left her marriage hollowed out when the cameras weren’t there, her creeping addiction to ...more
Brittney
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not even a little bit embarrased to give this five stars. (ETA - I am, however, embarrassed that a typo in my initial review excluded a necessary "s.")
Stephanie
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jessica is so strong and brave and has been through so much more than anyone knows. I loved her book and I loved hearing it on audible in her voice!
Michelle
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pleasantly surprised

This book isn’t about a popstar. It isn’t a memoir chronicling all of the wonderful expensive and lavish flashy lifestyles that we probably envision Popstars having. This book, is about a woman, trying to discover herself while in the midst of having everybody try to tell her who she should be. Her openness her honesty her humor enabled me to connects not only with her and her story but with myself my fears my anxieties and truly pushing me as the reader to truly understand
Deena Dietrich
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m not even a Jessica Simpson fan but I couldn’t put this book down.
Lydia Serenil
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Listened to the audio book. Not really into pop music but liked Jessica Simpson so I gave it a shot. She is raw, honest, vulnerable and relatable. And a good story teller.
Michelle Ruiz Andrews
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Nick Lachey gossip! The John Mayer gossip! If you’re one of the TRL/Newlyweds generation, this is necessary celeb memoir.
Heather Lowry
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and how open and candid she was about her life. I was already a fan of her and this just made me like her more.

• Thief River Falls
  • Inside Out
  • Name Drop: The Really Good Celebrity Stories I Usually Only Tell at Happy Hour
  • The Wives
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Dear Edward
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • Long Bright River
  • Regretting You
  • Full Circle: From Hollywood to Real Life and Back Again
  • Me
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
Jessica Simpson is an American singer, actress, philanthropist and fashion designer. Simpson rose to fame in the late 1990s starring with her then-husband Nick Lachey in the MTV reality show Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica. She has seven Billboard Top 40 hits, and has two gold and three multi-platinum RIAA-certified albums.

Simpson is married to retired NFL tight end Eric Johnson. They have three
“Sometimes we are all so afraid to be honest with ourselves because we know that honesty will lead to somewhere.” I wrote this ten years ago. “Can fear walk us to something better?” 1 likes
“had these two babies, and I was trying to catch all these firsts and savor every second. I wanted to still be intimate with my husband as my system tried to reset itself—and once the hormones stopped fluctuating, I had no idea what that would even look like. Even with the children outside my body, we were still so strongly connected that their emotions and needs crowded out mine. Was I anxious because of something I was feeling, or was I picking up on Maxwell’s distress about not having a need met in that one second because I was trying to breastfeed her brother? Where did I end and begin? Did it even matter?” 0 likes