Start by marking “Vegetables Unleashed: A Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Vegetables Unleashed: A Cookbook

Vegetables Unleashed: A Cookbook

From the endlessly inventive imaginations of star Spanish-American chef José Andrés and James Beard award-winning writer Matt Goulding, Vegetables Unleashed is a new cookbook that will transform how we think about—and eat—the vast universe of vegetables.

Andrés is famous for his unstoppable energy—and for his belief that vegetables are far sexier than meat can ever be. Show
Published May 21st 2019 by Anthony Bourdain/Ecco

To ask other readers questions about Vegetables Unleashed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegetables Unleashed

KC
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
3.75 His humanitarian work is outstanding and his recipes are pretty good.
T
I am a huge fan of Jose Andres. The recipes of his that I've cooked have always been delicious and intricate tasting, yet extremely accessible and on the easier side to make. Plus, he's always seemed like such a good person and I think his work with World Central Kitchen basically puts him in the company of angels. I've also eaten at Jaleo and the paella and croquttas inhabit my dreamspace to this day.

While, full disclosure, I haven't yet tried any of the recipes from this latest cookbook, I ab
Karen Foster
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this guy! His humanitarian work is so inspiring and he’s so full of infectious passion for people and food.
This book is a wonderful mix of food & travel writing, and super seasonal recipes that focus on produce at it’s peak deliciousness. Most recipes are soooo simple, just letting the beauty of each vegetable sing.
Highly recommend this one....
Tiffany T
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The cover of this book looks a man performing cunnilingus on vegetables. I'm fairly sure he got some strange combination of soil and carrots up his nose. I heard this Chef on NPR Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! Podcast. He credited his wife as the creator of the gazpacho recipe.
Alyce
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Less a cookbook than a call to action, this "love letter to the plant kingdom" is a compendium of Jose Andres' mission, philosophy, principles, ideas, and recipes. Filled with gorgeous photos, I've read it dozens of times for inspiration. Andres is a beautiful human being, and his food is as alluring as his magnanimousness and humanity. The whole roasted cauliflower with barbecue sauce is a nice new twist on a classic. Both of the brussels sprout recipes were superb, and a nice change from roast ...more
Janet Martin
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book! Lots of new and creative ways to look at some of the same old players and some of the best sauce and dressing recipes I've encountered. While only some of these recipes will actually get to my table, this book is fun to read--the writing is enthusiastic and the ideas fresh and new. The photos are wonderful. At least 3/4 of the recipes are vegan, but a few have eggs, butter, or cheese--some of which can be adapted for vegans. A very few more have bits of meat or fish. ...more
Adrienne
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Outstanding! I bookmarked nearly every page of these mouthwatering recipes. Interesting, fun to read commentaries are written for each recipe which is accompanied by a gorgeous photograph. The recipes are all easy to make at home with minimal and readily available ingredients. This is one of, if not the best, most comprehensive cookbooks I have ever read. It surely will be reading, and using it countless times
Thank you José Andrés and Matt Goulding for this awesome vegetarian cookbook.
Joshunda Sanders
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how witty he is about what is clearly an American aversion to eating veggies but what seems like an addiction to food waste. I tried the Aguacates con Cosas (Guacamole Salad) recipe and there are dozens more I can't wait to get the courage up to try. Especially helpful is the pantry section and learning more about his philosophy behind each dish, or the provenance of each recipe. Warning: The photos will make you salivate.
Sarah Cook
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
My favorite cook books are the ones that challenge me to do something new in a way that doesn’t feel daunting. Jose Andres mixes down to earth ingredients and recipes with the downright weird (for the home cook). Microwaved pasta and squash blossom tacos and cauliflower with bechamel made for an interesting read and quite a few earmarked recipes.
Denise
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
More than a cookbook, “Vegetables Unleashed” is an inspirational book on vegetables. The stories on farms and Food Fighters (such as Up Top Acres, Ron Finley and The Chef’s Garden) are interesting, and beautiful photos are showcased throughout. While I won’t attempt many of the recipes, I am inspired to cook and use vegetables differently.
Hafiz
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
The book looks nice its a vegetable cookbook but to me, the best parts of vegetarian cooking is its healthier and often cheaper, but 75% of recipes are full of cream and all kinds of cheeses, defeating this purpose, I'm sure they taste great as would anything with a bunch of milk and cream and cheese in it, but not for me ~
Jenn
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very quirky book on vegetables and the possibilities of interesting vegetarianism. Tons of possibilities for keto vegetarians - the different cauliflower and zucchini recipes as well as the homemade recipes for various sauces, marinated olives, and garlic confit look promising.
Jo
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am far from a vegetarian but one does not need to be to appreciate this book. Besides being a beautiful book with amazing photography, the recipes definitely you want to run to the store to shop and cook right away. I marked so many recipes to try. Can’t wait to get started.
Erika
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I used up a lot of post it tags on this book, inspired for summer produce!
Jan
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Though I may not get beyond microwaving fresh corn on the cob (it is the best way!), this book shows that, once again, the chef is a wonderful human being and creative force.
Kristine
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Picked up some great tips and, of course, fabulous recipes. The stories interspersed throughout about positive influencers were wonderful as was the mouth-watering photography.
Carla
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Broccoli pesto- perfecto!
Paella de verduras
Great, creative recipes and fun to read.
Rebecca
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The man is a hard working innovator and hero. I’ve learned to add more salt to my potatoes cooking water and capers really up my Bloody Mary game. Awesome cookbook.
Sandy
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, book, cookbook, reference
A truly great vegetable book. Great recipes along with great stories.
Vicki Gibson
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous photos. Interesting recipes that are not too complicated.
Amy
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dang - recipe one tried and failed. Ad lib to save. Probably a first world problem. But still....
Virginia
Jun 14, 2019 added it
Shelves: library, cook-book
Some great recipes but the design is just too busy.
Shannon
Jul 13, 2019
Holly
Jun 28, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
José Ramón Andrés Puerta, más conocido como José Andrés, es un cocinero español-estadounidense. Desde 2013 tiene también la nacionalidad estadounidense.

Chef/Owner of ThinkFoodGroup, star of the "Made In Spain" television series, and culinary creator and advocate.