Start by marking “The Atlantropa Articles: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Atlantropa Articles: A Novel

The Atlantropa Articles: A Novel

#1 Amazon Best Seller! ─ Dystopian Alternate History: An ambitious feat of engineering and a continent in crisis

For fans of Philip K. Dick’s The Man in the High Castle and Stephen King’s 11/22/63, comes an epic saga by YouTuber Cody Franklin (Alternate History Hub), with contributions from YouTuber Joseph Pisenti (Real Life Lore).

In an alternate timeline, World Wa

Kindle Edition
Published October 15th 2018 by Mango

To ask other readers questions about The Atlantropa Articles, please sign up.
Diego Antonio I read it at 14, and... uhhhh.. let´s just say it depends on the 14 y/o.
I read it at 14, and... uhhhh.. let´s just say it depends on the 14 y/o.
The book of course features themes of Fascism, war, genocide, exploration, discovery, racism, sexism, etc... The opening kinda set´s the stage for how gritty the book is, and it really delves into reminding you of the evils of the Nazis, while also taking an approach of evolving the ideology so it doesn´t feel like a copy paste of 1930s-40s nazism. The protagonist, while having some redeeming qualities is purposefully despicable in many ways (partially due to the whole devout nazi thing), however he does have a character arc that sets up his realization of the lies and deceit his leaders have fed him for a 2nd book (I won´t spoil too much more). It´s a cautionary tale in the same vain as 1984 on how totalitarianism and censorship can shape history to manipulate it. While also mixing in the exploration and discovery of the disney movie Treasure Planet (albeit in a more twisted way). So yeah, if he can handle that kinda stuff, sure! It´s a great book and i highly recommend it!(less)

Start your review of The Atlantropa Articles: A Novel
Aaron
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well... it's rather different from other Nazi Victory alt history scenarios.

I got a little bit of an Iron Dream vibe from this, partially because it breifly explores the idea that Europe is united under a fairly idealized nazi state. I would have to say, however, this is a book that draws heavily from history: Atlantropa being the proposed project by German Architect Herman Sörgel in the 1920s to literally build a massive hydroelectric dam across the Strait of Gibraltar with the hopes it would p
Rodrigo Santamaría
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is good, but no great. I have never seen any of the youtube videos of the author, I was introduced to this book thanks to my boyfriend who has seen all of them. On the one hand, the characters are surprisingly compelling, although I do feel that all the relationships in the book lacked deep, especially the two brothers relationship that only evolves because the plot needs it to. This book is a strange case of well fleshed out characters whose interactions are lackluster .Another problem ...more
Bao
Apr 16, 2019 added it
Sorry if you got a lot of notifications on this, I had trouble with the GUI, but this author was actually a youtuber, who does really cool alternate history videos! Recently, he made this book, around 2018? Anyways, his videos are as good as his book, just amazing! It made me think of just what our world possibly could've been. I don't really think so, but it is a pretty cool what-if story.
John
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'll start off by saying that this was not a good book. It is rather sub-par for the genre. If I could generalize the feel of the book: it felt like I was reading an extended fan fiction.

From the very start of the book I had a feeling this wasn't going to be a good ride. This is disappointing since I had pre-ordered the book after seeing the announcement on Cody's youtube channel. The first chapter was a slog of dully written and gratuitous violence. It was further accented by a boorish usage o
Subdued Reader
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure when I'll read it again as I found it extremely hard hitting. The concepts, however, were fascinating.
Lillie Alice
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Warren Singh-Bartlett
Apr 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Absolutely ghastly. Great idea. Very badly written. Very badly edited. Took me three days to get through the first 39 pages (of 188), before I gave up and binned it.
Love the idea of a book about the Atlantropa project, intrigued by the alternate history aspect in which Hitler isn't a monster (though even in such a fictional context, gooey lines about the Glorious Father are so, so wrong), hated the writing.
Apparently Mr Franklin's book grew out of his Alternate History Hub YouTube site, which t
Gabriel Miller
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of alternate history, deep lore, and compelling characters, I love this book. Despite being Cody Franklin’s first book, it is a definite must read. My expectations were low, truthfully, but the lore of the book, and the style of writing Franklin poses is truly an experience. It’s gritty, yet relatable. It’s dark, yet light hearted. And it’s complicated, yet it’s a light read.

The ideas of brotherhood, family, and survival are themes you will likely encounter in this book. But what is mo
Jack
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it had to be one of my favorite books ever. One of my favorite things about this book is how throughout it, I expected the main character to do something different than what he ended up doing and almost every action he took and every feeling he had took me by surprise. I will worn anyone who wants to read this that the book uses very vulgar language and more than a sufficient amount of gore (including the vivid description of somebody having their skull broken open). I would r ...more
Charlene Sebastian
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It saved my marriage

Recently I had suspicions my wife was cheating on me and I got this book after reading it i received the combined power of god and anime and yeeted my wife and her boyfriend chad into the afterlife I’m now on the run and joined the ira I rate this book a 10 out of 10
Ben
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
I went into this book with not much expectations. I’m a long time viewer of Cody’s, and went in knowing it was his first novel.

Sadly this book disappointed me quite a bit, there were grammatical errors, such as missing commas, spelling errors, such as “cloths” instead of “clothes”, and a few continuity errors. For example, the character’s inner monologue calls something a “ship” before multiple paragraphs of the characters trying to figure out what the strange structure is, before concluding it
Richard
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Good for a first attempted but...

I overall enjoyed Cody's first book and will be looking forward to his next book. However I did see some flaws in this book that should be addressed.
Firstly, the author forget to write a description for a airplane existing when the Camel go's to the wrecked ship so when he later describes the airplane a being up in smoke when the howling dark was leaving and the old man says the scavengers where trying to get to the plane, I was like "wait...what plane are you t
Robert.S
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Sean Barrett
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rather enjoyed the whole experience

I know I'm biased when giving this review due to how much I enjoy Codys YouTube channel, but in saying that I can still appreciate the atlantropa articles at face value.
It's a great first attempt in writing for the author, I was kept interested throughout the book, but I found there was a lack development for minor characters, and some questionable pacing at times. But this was only in a few instances.

To sum it up, Cody Franklin has a bright future ahead of h
Diogo Muller
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This book describes an alternate future where nazi germany builds dams to create new lands between Europe and Africa. So, is it any good? Well, it has very creative worldbuilding, the alternate future sounds plausible - which is expected, given the author. However... pretty much everything else either falls flat or is bland by themselves. The characters evolve a bit, but much of that feels like time wasted. The plot has an interesting idea, but the execution is very, very bad. At the end, I felt ...more
Lucas Albert
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on a alternate history Nazi Germany, as well as a rusty/wasteland type setting. The novel shows us of a future many years in the future, where the Nazis never invaded but instead over time take over all of Europe. The reader is introduced to Captain Ansel; a bitter and harsh war veteran and his noble and peaceful little brother, Ulric. As Ulric and his crew set sail on "The Howling Dark" and soon find themselves discovering the truth on the Scavengers, the führer, and the Atl ...more
Edward
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
A book which starts with a good concept and ends with a whimper. The only character we can even sympathise with is the only one who doesn't commit extreme acts of violence on every other page. However, when he questions the entrenched truth, the true nature of fascism shows as he is ruthlessly killed. A bad book. From the poor descriptions, uncertain technology throughout, bad sense of distances and even worse the constant right-wing rhetoric. I'm glad I read it just so I have a new baseline for ...more
Team Orange
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alright Kids buckle your seat belts because this is a wild ride! The Mediterranean sea is now a great desert called the kiln, with tank-like ships bringing supplies to the scattered settlements. Now join the crew of one of these ships and see the true brutality of the kiln. Hardened veteran Ansel and his newbie brother Ulric play off each other very well, and this leads until some awesome character development.
Also there are Nazis.
They're Nazis.

And another note, Check out the author's YouTube c
Christopher
I really wish I could say I liked this book. The only reason it even gets two stars is because it's an interesting concept. However it starts rough, improves briefly and then any editing seems to go out the window in the latter half of the book. There are missing punctuation marks, typos, there's even a section with pages out of order (153-155). If he had delayed this and worked more on it, made sure he had a good editor, it could have been at least a decent book, but it seems more like he shoul ...more
Rob
Feb 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
I really don't like giving this even one star.

Advertised as "for fans of Man in the High Castle" I kept waiting for it to turn the corner to "here is where the allegory is; nazi's = bad".

By the halfway point of the book I had to give up and accept that I was tricked into reading a masturbatory "if only the nazis had won" fantasy. If the latter half of the book has any redeeming qualities I'll never know.

I dont know (or particularly care about) the authors politics or beliefs. As a writer they'
Jack Borovitz
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good Book

So, to start out I got this book because I enjoy watching Cody’s channel and wanted to be supportive. As I started reading though I really enjoyed the story and the way that Cody melded our world and this world together. I especially appreciated how he clearly showed the time era where our timeline splits from this one. I look forward to hopefully seeing more books by him in the future!
Dave C
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A desert not a sea

Creative idea, average writing, brother vs brother conflict at the heart of the story. The third Reich has lasted thousands of years, drained the Mediterranean and still fights the Jews who scavenge through the desert remains of the sea. An old book is found and suddenly all is not as it seems.

A very vivid portrait of the desert found after the sea is drained is strongest aspect of book.
Jennifer Ostand
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

If you’re interested in anything history or enjoy historical “what if’s” then you’ll enjoy this novel. The bias that nazis would have had in this future is portrayed very nicely, and let’s the reader reflect on their current knowledge of history and compare it to the scenario in the novel.
Steven Saunders
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Disappointed. The premise was interesting and the writing quality was decent. The story was not too interesting though. Not much happens. The technology of 2000 years from now seems too primitive and the story drags. The main character was a terrible person, making it hard to enjoy the book. So much more could have been done with this premise rather than a booring trip across the Kiln.
Mivan Howard
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
This is an excellent concept. I have loved the authors work on YouTube and I think the world of Atlantropa can be explored in further fiction to no end. Alternate history and historical fiction lovers should consider a read. Unfortunately I struggled to connect with the lead character. Writing in first person is also quite unusual and I found it distracting from the story. Worth reading nonetheless.
Blake Leitch
This was a good idea for a book poorly edited. Very poorly edited. This would’ve worked much better as a short story, or the clearly vast potential for lore needed much more exploration to create the intended novel.
Lisa Duke
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I really liked the concept of this alternate history book. I felt the ending left too many unanswered questions. Perhaps this is set up to be a series, and if that's the case, I'd give it another star.
William Weston
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irl-shelf
The fantastic world created by Cody Franklin is rich in history and culture all of which is expertly shown through the eyes of the protagonist. A fantastic read, and a must read for alternate history fans.
Madeline Geier
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good read *spoiler *

A little slow to start, but the action is good and I like a book that dares to not have a happy neat ending.
Payton
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Storytelling is very hard to read and plot is very repetitive, but pretty interesting concept.

• The Fifth Science
  • The Prince of Milk
  • The Bridge to Lucy Dunne
  • You Suck at Cooking: The Absurdly Practical Guide to Sucking Slightly Less at Making Food
  • Logic Beach: Part I
  • Vinland Saga Omnibus, Vol. 6
  • Vinland Saga Omnibus, Vol. 5
  • Aus dem Leben eines Taugenichts
  • Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe, Faust, Der Tragödie Erster Teil
  • Goliath (Leviathan, #3)
  • Answers to Questions You’ve Never Asked: Explaining the What If in Science, Geography and the Absurd
  • Names on the Land: A Historical Account of Place-Naming in the United States