Start by marking “The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (Welcome to Night Vale, #3)” as Want to Read:

The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home

(Welcome to Night Vale #3)

From the New York Times bestselling authors of Welcome to Night Vale and It Devours! and the creators of the hit podcast, comes a new novel set in the world of Night Vale and beyond.

In the town of Night Vale, theres a faceless old woman who secretly lives in everyones home, but no one knows how she got there or where she came from...until now. Told in a series of eerie
Published March 24th 2020 by Harper Perennial

Kate No, it reads as a stand-alone. It references Night Vale from the podcast and other books but basically you just need to know thats a place where weird…moreNo, it reads as a stand-alone. It references Night Vale from the podcast and other books but basically you just need to know that’s a place where weird things happen. I researched more on their website as well and they state that all their books are stand-alones. Hope this helps!(less)
Chloe yes it was announced on the podcast

Start your review of The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (Welcome to Night Vale, #3)
Amy
Sep 15, 2019 marked it as to-read
Holy hell I'm stupid excited.
Kathy
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic origin story, filled with clever word play, creepy moments, and unfathomable history.
Rachel
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I attempted many different voices, hoping to find anything that could reach him. I tried being Jesus. I tried being one of the horses. I tried telling him I was his subconscious, but he didnt know what that word meant. He never questioned the existence of the voices, but he certainly did not take them seriously.

This was not what I was expecting, but was still an entertaining read. I thought the vibe was a lot different than It Devours, creepier and more solemn, if I had to pinpoint.

We start out
Tucker

Many thanks to Heather at Harper for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

this is quite the title

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | Reddit | LinkedIn | YouTube |
biblio_mom (Aiza)
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
"My life had measured Itself in moments, in days, and in months, but my best magic nothing. I, like the universe, was called, timeless and ever-expanding".

The story was told from a first-person point of view, the faceless woman herself. It follows the faceless old woman who secretly lives in people houses. She goes around Craig's life watching his every move. Then, she began telling us her own story right from when she was born. Her mother died giving birth to her and when she grew up as a kid,
Kris (Cress)
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This felt very different from other Night Vale books right away, and more like a traditional novel involving danger, thievery, smuggling, and revenge. I kept waiting for it to feel "More Like Night Vale", all the while thoroughly enjoying the main story of The Faceless Old Woman and feeling very confused about how her past intersected with the small sections involving her current interactions with Night Vale resident Craig. By the time it all came together I was completely entranced. The end ...more
The Lit Bitch
Mar 29, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was a huge shot in the dark for me. I hadnt heard of the series before, and the fact that it was the third in a series so I had no idea what I was getting myself into.and its categorized as sci-fi which I usually dont read much of.

I thought the title sounded interesting and I loved the promise of a creepy old woman haunting people and the cover is quirky and eye catching, so in the end I thought..why not.

Its rare that I read a shot in the dark book, I usually try and stick within my
BrittsBookClub
Was I expecting a somewhat scary story about a woman who haunts the homes of people that live in Night Vale? Yes. Is that what I got? No. This story was not what I expected at all, but I still thought it was good. I wish it had a little more of a scary element to it, but thats just personal preference and Im not sure if everyone would agree.

The Story: The story was told using two different time periods. The book used present day, which told the story of the faceless old lady haunting a man named
Diana Imparato
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FanFiAddict
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating: 7.5/10

Thanks to the publisher and authors for an advance reading copy of The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (Welcome to Night Vale #3) for review consideration. This did not influence my thoughts or opinions.

A swashbuckling origin story sure to fill the hearts of the Night Vale audience, though may be more lackluster for those who havent followed from the beginning. An intriguing story with a worthwhile ending.

Ive been aware of the Welcome to Night Vale podcast for
Erikka
I've always loved the character of the faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home. She's so weird and enigmatic. While I absolutely loved this story as an adventure and a journey about revenge, I am a bit saddened that I know more about the FOWWSLIYH. I liked when she was a mystery. I enjoyed this until the last couple chapters. During the back story part of her life, it was a compelling read with some great side characters (esp Rebekah). Once it got to the end though, it was a little ...more
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: mt-bookpile-2019
Craig's life has been watched over (and sometimes "improved") by the title character, who is not just faceless but nameless. She's nameless as we follow her life from pampered daughter living on her family estate on the Mediterranean coast, through a life dedicated to revenge against her father's murder(s), to her life(?) as the Faceless Old Woman. We get her life's story interspersed with her watching and helping Craig and honestly, more of the Craig interactions and less of the life stuff ...more
Jonathan
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great way to delve into one of the enigmatic characters in Night Vale lore. The irony is the fact that while it is following one of the weirder characters, a faceless old woman who secretly lives in every house in Night Vale, due to the framing of the story, it's one of the more normal Night Vale stories. Since the entire story is told from the perspective of the titular character, the real strangeness comes in the present-day portions of the story.
Geonn Cannon
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little torn. As a Night Vale novel, it's kind of terrible. But as a novel about a female pirate with a few Night Vale easter eggs, it's really good. The Night Vale stuff is so minor (honestly, you probably get more from one episode of the podcast) it could be completely cut out and the book would be an original story unconnected to WTNV at all. The fact the main character becomes the Faceless Old Woman barely matters.

Basically, a good book... but barely connected to Night Vale.
Abby
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The prequel to Welcome to Night Vale we didn't know we needed! The faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home has always been a curious character. Where did she come from? Why doesn't she have a face? Why is she so obsessed with Craig? This origin story is truly amazing. We start in the 18th Century when our young heroine grew up and follow her all the way up to present day Night Vale. This book is a beautiful blend between horror and historical fiction and the ending gave me chills. ...more
Sarah Anderson-Pagal
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Very Mean Mudskipper
To me, Night Vale is a glorious cacophony of creepy nonsense that makes sense to me in most satisfying ways. This book is great (3 stars = "I liked it" by Goodreads definitions), however, it's not Night Vale enough. I am disappointed. This may be worth 4 stars, really...
Caroline
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The most fascinating ghost story you'll ever read
tightrope.to.the.sun
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*I was given an advanced readers copy of this novel from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

I first heard of this novel through the Books in the Freezer Podcast when host, Stephanie, did an episode of her most anticipated horror novels of 2020. The very next day, I saw that this was available for request, so I knew I had to give it a shot.

When it arrived, I was concerned that my lack of knowledge about the Night Vale universe (I had only listened to about 10 episodes of the podcast)
Michelle
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this novel...entertaining. It was amusing and fun and forgettable. The quality was good enough to get by, but certainly lackluster compared to the spark and originality of the podcast and the previous novels. This book hung its hat on the impact of a predictable ending. The sidekicks were one-dimensional and diligently served obvious plot functions. Disappointingly, something here didn't click.
For me, this is the first product of the Night Vale universe that seemed franchisey - it has
Michael Cook
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
4.5/5 stars
I love Night Vale. A lot. It's one of those ideas that is eternally malleable. There's so much that can be done with these characters and the setting and novels are a really good way for the authors to push the boundaries of the world. It's what they did with the first two novels, Welcome to Night Vale and It Devours! and it's obviously what they're seeking to do here with their third, The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives in Your Home. The Faceless Old Woman is the perfect
Haley
Sep 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-releases
Part The Haunting of Hill House, part The Count of Monte Cristo, and 100% about a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home.

Who gave Night Vale the right to combine two of my favorite things and one of my favorite characters into one singular book written by two of my favorite people??

Rosa
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Memory lives inside the eyelids."

Rarely do I feel so compelled by my reaction to a book that I feel the need to write a review. But here I am. I did receive an advance copy of this book, however I won it in a giveaway. No expectation of tit for tat here, just a genuine love for the experience I just had.

If you're a fan of the Welcome to Night Vale podcast, you've probably often caught yourself wondering about The Faceless Old Woman. It's easy to wonder. If you've never listened to Welcome to
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
I loved The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home!  I knew it was going to be a great book, and I pre-ordered it the second I heard there was going to be another Night Vale book.

I was really excited about this book in particular because we get the amazing backstory of one of my favorite Night Vale characters.  I don't want to ruin anything for people who haven't read it yet, but I loved learning more about her, and how she came to Night Vale.  I loved the reason she ended up there,
Jiny S
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
The opener was strong and compelling. It was creepy and gave me chills of excitement. I would be content just to read about how this creepy old lady ghost takes care of this Craig and haunts him and the people around him into good decisions. There should be a book on that! It reminds of You by Caroline Kepnes, the stalker murderer psychopath, but with a side of paranormal vigor.

Many stories use this style of writing: use the present time to set the mood of the ending, and then use flashbacks to
Tatiana Dengo
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a trojan horse. You think youre getting a regular Night Vale novel like the previous two, but the bulk of this book is a detailed historical fiction memoir occasionally interrupted by brief chapters about Craig, a Night Vale resident who is being terrorized by a faceless old woman in his home.

Craig only has about five chapters in the book, and some of them are heart-breakingly terrifying; certainly not the usual haha
Daniel Cuthbert
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a mix of Princess-Bride style adventure and first person one sided conversation towards a mysterious Craig, The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives in Your Home, is the third entry into the Welcome To Night Vale universe. Based in the world of the popular podcast Welcome To Night Vale, two different stories converge in ways both familiar and yet still interesting in presentation.

Taking up the majority of the story, we are treated to a tale of a nameless woman who, as a young child watches
Kate
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives in Your Home by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor
A BarksBeachesBooks Review
WOW. I had no idea what to expect with this book. I had never listened to the podcast before reading The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives in Your Home nor had I read the other books. This was an incredible read. It was weird and fascinating and so well written. I couldnt tell where this was going for a little bit, but I did figure out the twist because there wasnt a huge cover
Asdif
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free ARC of this book.

I read the first Night Vale book and enjoyed it, but I didn't intend to put the sequels terribly high on my list of books to read. Now that I've read this one, I'm more excited to go back and read It Devours! (thankfully, the order of the books doesn't seem to matter much).

This book was different from what I expected. The story switches back and forth between 19th century Europe and present-day Night Vale, but spends the vast majority of its word count on the
Sophie
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The latest book by the creators of Welcome to Night Vale, set in the larger Night Vale universe. As the title suggests, its the story of the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home, one of Night Vales most popular characters.

One of the things I love about Night Vale and which I find truly impressive is how its creators never stay in the same place. There is change and development in all the episodes, and this is even more recognizable in the books. At the same time, they dont abandon
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 2 11 Apr 08, 2020 05:44AM
Joseph created and co-writes WELCOME TO NIGHT VALE. He is a writer and editor, and the co-owner of Commonplace Books. Awhile back he moved from California to Brooklyn. Subsequently, events unfolded.

• Stay Sexy & Don’t Get Murdered: The Definitive How-To Guide
  • Elevation
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)
  • Severance
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • A Christmas Carol
  • The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4)
  • The Chestnut Man
  • The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2)
  • Cup Of Comfort For Weddings
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • I Found You
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay (Fantastic Beasts: The Original Screenplay, #1)
  • Ghost Wall
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • Fantastic Beasts - The Crimes of Grindelwald: The Original Screenplay
  • Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles, #1)