Start by marking “Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)” as Want to Read:
Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)

Sins of the Fathers

(J.P. Beaumont #24)

Seattle investigator J. P. Beaumont is drawn into an intriguing, and shockingly personal, case in this superb tale of suspense from New York Times bestselling author J. A. Jance.

Former Seattle homicide cop, J. P. Beaumont, is learning to enjoy the new realities of retirementdoing morning crossword puzzles by a roaring fireplace; playing frisbee with his new dog; having qui
Published September 24th 2019 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Sins of the Fathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sins of the Fathers

Start your review of Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
Julie
Sins of the Fathers by J.A. Jance is a 2019 William Morrow publication.

Beaumont’s past comes calling, exposing a long -buried secret!

Usually, I wind up alternating between the three series by J.A. Jance that I follow-'Ali Reynolds', 'Joanna Brady', and 'J.P Beaumont'. I enjoy all of them, but Beaumont was my first love and so of the three series, this is still my favorite.

Somehow, I’ve managed to read two Beaumont mysteries in a row! What a rare, but very pleasant treat!! Not, only that, I wo
Jean
I have read quite a few of the Beaumont series over the years. Every time I read one, I think I should go back and read them all in order, but other books keep getting in the way. I always enjoy J. A. Jance’s writing and her storytelling skills.

The book is well written. The plot twists and turns. Jance inserts some humor in the story. J. P. Beaumont is now retired from the police force and is working as a licensed private investigator. His wife, Mel, is the Chief of Police of Bellingham. In this
Kathleen
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Readers of the J.P. Beaumont detective series have watched him evolve from being an alcoholic to becoming a ‘dry’ 72-year-old retiree happily married to Mel, Chief of Police of Bellingham. Fans of the series will get reacquainted with many of the recurring characters. J.P. is his self-deprecating best while providing local color of the Seattle metropolitan area and recounting the antics of his and Mel’s ninety-pound Irish Wolfhound, Lucy.

This 24th offering starts with a missing person’s case. An
Jeff Dickison
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good J.P. Beaumont book. An old friend hires J.P. to find his junkie daughter, who also happens to have a special connection to J.P. This is more of a murder mystery than an action book. The secondary characters are very good and give a lot of life to this tale. Recommended.
Kay
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first J. P. Beaumont read and it was entertaining. I like the characters and plot. Though not much of a mystery but the procedure was still interesting.

The narrator was very good and gave life to this character and the whole story. Wow it's book #24 and I'll be adding this series to my to-read series.
Cheryl
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this book on Goodreads. JP is retired from the police force and working as a PI. An old friend comes to his house with his premature granddaughter asking for help in finding the mother, his daughter. JP agrees to help and after seeing a picture of his friend's daughter that looks just like his daughter he is sure she is really his child from a one night stand. Interesting story of how he finds the daughter, her boyfriends killer and uncovering a terrible family.
Jim Angstadt
Nov 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This was a fast, enjoyable read. The major characters were well drawn, and the plot moved along quickly. My only doubt concerned Beau. As a recovered alcoholic, he sure had superb analytical skills and a great memory. That's a minor point, but it nibbled away at reasonableness.
Ruth
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was written by one of my favorite authors. Her characters are always interestingly developed and usually set in fairly complex surroundings. That said, the pace at which this one's plot unfolded was pretty far fetched. Why is it that the richer a character is the fewer the obstacles and the less reality a story has? I'm sad that this newest book read so like Stuart Woods novel - entertaining but not very believable, despite a great premise.

Beau and his wife have always been believable.
Natalie
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I totally enjoyed this book. I admit to being surprised since it was the first I’d read in this well-established series. My assumption was that I’d be somewhat lost, but I underestimated the enormous skill of J.A. JANCE who managed to weave a short and comprehensive summary of Beaumont ‘s past adventures and personal experiences into the narrative.

This worked as a very engaging stand-alone with an intricate and fascinating plot. It totally held my interest and. I intend to read a lot more of JA
3 no 7
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Sins of the Fathers” is book twenty-four in J.A. Jance’s J. P Beaumont series, but all readers will find it entertaining. Any needed background information on the characters is provided as part of the story. Jonas Piedmont Beaumont, “Beau,” is now retired, living in Bellingham where his wife Melissa is Chief of Police. He has mellowed somewhat, but is becoming bored with crossword puzzles and playing with his dog. The easy conversational style gives the reader the feeling of sitting with J.P. c ...more
Sue
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this author. Her characters come to life and seem to be real people. JP Beaumont has still “got it”. I keep thinking it’s about time to retire this character and then she puts out another great story!! Awesome read! Haven’t enjoyed a book this much in a while!
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

4.5 hearts

I read all the series by JA Jance and they are such a comfortable, pleasant read. Well, they are all mysteries where there is often murder and some horrible things happen to people. But I love the style and the characters, who are so familiar to me.

Sins of the Fathers is the 24th book in the JP Beaumont series
Lyn
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I really enjoyed this Beaumont book. It explains a bit of his past so it can be read as a standalone, but if you are familiar with the series (I have read all to date), it doesn't bog down the narrative at all. This book is less gory than some of the earlier books in this series.
Gerry
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved this new Beaumont book. He's now living in Bellingham and is a PI. This is a case that ends up involving him!
i loved the characters and the storyline.
Barbara Schultz
I am a J.A. Jance fan # 36 for me. My favorites have been Joanna Brady and Ali Reynolds, I was never big on JP’s stories but I liked this one more than I thought I would. ...more
Chris Conley
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boy, oh boy, Beau’s life just keeps getting more convoluted and interesting. This is a terrific chapter in his life.
Karen Wegman
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series and I adore this author. One of the things I like about J. A. Jance is that she has allowed Beaumont's character to grow. I have read every single book in the Series and every time I see that a new book is out I can't wait to read. In this latest book, Beau is 72 years old and he behaves in an age appropriate manner. He is not leaping tall buildings or running all over like a crazy man. Throughout the years, Ms Jance has shown us a character who with all of his "warts" has gro ...more
Joan
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J.P. Beaumont, working as a private investigator, finds himself involved in a convoluted case when Alan Dale arrives on his doorstep with his infant granddaughter. The baby’s mother left the hospital and disappeared; Dale wants to find her so he can legally take custody of the child. J.P. sets out to find the baby’s missing mother, but when the case takes an unexpected turn, he finds himself involved in fraud and murder.

In this, the twenty-fourth outing for J.P. Beaumont, readers will find the e
Kaijsa
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The J.P. Beaumont series is my favorite one Jance writes, so I'm happy she's picked it up again. This book seems to have jumped a little bit forward in time from the previous one, but Beau still has Lucy (formerly known as Rambo), the Irish wolfhound he kept after she saved him from being shot in Proof of Life. Lucy is mostly healed from her wounds and is living with Beau and Mel in Bellingham. Alan Dale, an acquaintance from one of Beau's old homicide cases arrives on the doorstep and asks for ...more
Dorothy Bennett
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mystery writer J.A. Jance just gets better and better. And her character, J.P. Beaumont, retired detective, just gets better and better! In Jance's latest, SINS OF THE FATHERS, Beaumont's enjoyment of his retired life is interrupted by the arrival of an old acquaintance, Alan Dale, a widower who by a quirk of fate has taken charge of his granddaughter after Dale's daughter, a drug addict, has turned the newborn baby over to foster care. Along with Dale's arrival and Beaumont's attempt to help hi ...more
Terry Lynn Bender
I've read the J.P. Beaumont series since the beginning and while not serious literature, they have always been an enjoyable read. The author has a good plot but her many rants about the "poisonous political correctness" (complete with a few racial slurs) and her incessant complaining about Seattle traffic, was offensive and tiresome. She also throws in pages of Seattle history that reads like she it was taken verbatim from a middle school textbook. At first it was interesting but eventually read ...more
Abibliofob
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, private-eye
It's not every day you get to be a father at 72 but that is what happens to private investigator J.P. Beaumont. It starts out as a missing person but it soon evolving into cheating people out of their inheritance and finally murder. After a couple of books that was quite slow J.A. Jance is once again showing how good a writer she is. This is a great and somewhat different series that I really recommend.
Gloria ~ mzglorybe
A strong 4 star rating
What a pleasure to visit with JP Beaumont again. My hubby and I are Jance fans and look forward to each of her releases in the series she writes. We have to admit that although we like Sheriff Brady of Bisbee AZ, and Ali Reynolds of the Phoenix area, both of which we are very familiar with, JP is our favorite character. His series takes place in the Seattle/Bellingham area of Washington. We were looking forward to the pleasure of his company once again and were not disappoi
Megargee
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Over the years I have read all of the J.P. Beaumont novels available in our library in order. In recent years I have been increasingly disappointed in the series, some of the more recent entries being padded with "cut and paste" summaries of past cases (which is also true of Jance's Sheriff Brady series) and detailed instructions on how to navigate Seattle's highways and byways.
"Sins of the Father's" was a pleasant surprise. Jance inserts a prologue that briefly, repeat briefly, summarizes Bea
Toni
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.75 Stars

This is the 24th book in the J.P. Beaumont series by J.A. Jance. And I have to say that I was so impressed by this book. It is the twenty-fourth book in a series and it is still written as if the character is fresh and new. That says something about the talent of the author.

I have not read a book by this author before and if I had, it would have been a long time ago.

I felt such a kinship with J.P. Beaumont… like he was a long lost relative that I just clicked with. I just clicked with
Joan
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I have thoroughly enjoyed the J P Beaumont series from Jance. I have followed his career in the Seattle PD and then his retirement to Bellingham. Now he is a PI and here he is on a somewhat personal case. An old acquaintance with a new grandchild and a missing daughter. A daughter who looks so much like Beaumont's daughter he wonders if she might be the result of a one night stand decades ago.

This novel of Beaumont as a PI is a welcome change from the “shoot 'em up” police detective novels. The
Jan
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not very often, like pretty much never, do I figure out who done it, how they did it, or why they did it in a mystery novel that I'm reading. I read the entire Kinsey Milhone series from Sue Grafton, all 25 books, and never once had a clue. Dang she was a terrific writer. So I was surprised how easy this one was to figure out. After Beau started talking to the elderly neighbor and saw the sign posted for the new housing development it wasn't difficult to put everything together and figure o ...more
Diane Saul
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a J. P.Beaumont novel. Alan Dale, a man from the past shows up on J. P.’s doorstep with a baby in tow asking for help. Alans daughter, the baby’s Mother, walked out of the hospital after giving birth and disappeared, she has been into drugs and living on the street. Alan has temporary custody of his Grandaughter but he can’t go home to Texas until he gets a signature relinquishing custody from the baby’s parents. He wants J. P to help him. The trail leads to unexpected revelations.

This i
Brenda
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
6/5 if that was possible! Can be read as a stand alone. You may want to find the first 23.

Emotionally charged novel featuring JP Beaumont, now a 72 years old licensed private investigator married to Bellingham WA Chief of Police Mel Soames.

When Al Dale arrives at JP's door carrying Athena in a baby carrier JP discovers a daughter (and granddaughter) he never knew he had.

The plot twists as JP searches for Athena's parents Naomi and Petey are intriguing and intense.

The conclusion is heart breaki
Carol
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's been two years since the last J.P. Beaumont novel. It's good to have him back. He's still struggling with retirement, his drinking, and with time on his hands, he welcomes the opportunity to put his newly acquired P.I. licence to use. He soon finds that the baby's young mother is not the only one he's looking for. Seems the father is also missing. Beaumont always did a top-notch job of investigating and leaving no stone unturned when he was with the police department and he does no less of ...more
Play Book Tag: Sins of the Fathers by J.A. Jance - 4 stars 2 15 Oct 14, 2019 02:57AM

• Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • Angel Eyes (Spenser, #47)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine #2)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch, #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bitterest Pill (Jesse Stone, #18)
  • Stealth (Stone Barrington, #51)
  • The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • Treason (Stone Barrington, #52)
  • Long Range (Joe Pickett #20)
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #5)
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport #30)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • What Rose Forgot
  • Blindside (Michael Bennett, #12)
  • Hindsight (Kendra Michaels, #7)
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross Book, #27)
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann

J.P. Beaumont (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont, #1)
  • Injustice for All (J.P. Beaumont, #2)
  • Trial by Fury (J.P. Beaumont, #3)
  • Taking the Fifth (J.P. Beaumont, #4)
  • Improbable Cause (J.P. Beaumont, #5)
  • A More Perfect Union (J.P. Beaumont, #6)
  • Dismissed with Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont, #7)
  • Minor in Possession (J.P. Beaumont, #8)
  • Payment in Kind (J.P. Beaumont, #9)
  • Without Due Process (J.P. Beaumont, #10)

News & Interviews