Start by marking “Under the Watsons' Porch” as Want to Read:
Under the Watsons' Porch

Under the Watsons' Porch

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  255 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Twelve-year-old Ellie Tremont is bored, and she wishes something, anything, would happen to make her feel alive. So when 14-year-old Tommy Bowers moves in next door, Ellie knows her summer is about to get a lot more interesting. When Tommy suggests they start a camp for the kids on their street under their elderly neighbors’, the Watsons, porch, Ellie quickly agrees. And w ...more
Published April 11th 2006 by Yearling (first published April 11th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Under the Watsons' Porch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Watsons' Porch

Lindsey
This is about a 12 year old girl named Elli. Elli's summers are super boring, but this summer she feels will be different. A new boy just moved into the house right next door. Elli soon meets the boy who's name is Tommy. Tommy is adopted and has a mysterious past. He also seems to have a bad reputation. Elli and Tommy soon become friends however. They find a place under their neighbor's porch and they decide to make a club. So they invite all the little kids in the neighborhood to come join the ...more
Abby
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a good book about two neighbors who become friends and start a club for the little kids in their neighborhood. The two friends overcome the everyday obstacles and become great great friends along the way.
Diane
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: friendship
Ellie meets Tommy, a boy with a bad rep, & wants to be friends agst all wishes
Adrienne
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not a fantastic book, really pretty boring.
Kim Dixon
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Preteen girls
My mom bought this book for herself from a local library that sells unwanted books cheaply. She didn't realize that this was a book mostly written for young girls when she bought it, but once she did, she stopped reading it.(At least that money will go toward new books.) I decided to read this book because I wanted a bit of light reading, to take an afternoon's break from reading the more serious books I normally read.

This is actually a pretty good book about the first weeks of summer for a 12 y
Katherine
Mar 31, 2012 rated it liked it
A cute, tween-age story about a girl and her first real crush. Something, that is for everyone, as real and true as can be. Mixed in with the ideal neighborhood bad boy, Elli Tremont's systematically boring summer turns into one that is filled with thrills, laughter, and the increasing mystery behind her first love. Although the writing is comparable to some that are simply not the best, this book portrays nothing more than what most young girls dream about for their summers; filled with interes ...more
J.Elle
Oct 17, 2007 rated it it was ok
Another teen fiction. It wasn't all that great (no real insightfulness), but what kept me reading was the main character's six-year-old brother Milo. He was darling and precocious and trusting and wonderful. The moments with him were a highlight, like when he went in to sleep with his sister for fear that (imaginary) pit bulls were waiting to eat him as he slept, specifically a white and brown one or how he would always sleep over at a friend's house only to have to be picked up in the middle of ...more
Morpheus Reads
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a nice story and very much suited for the middle school student. I read it first before passing it along to my 11-year-old daughter because it is designated a Youth Romance and...I....just...wasn't...sure, you got me? Turns out it is fine for the preteen because it is more about two kids who bond over a summer and become best friends. It has the youthful twinges of romance and if they were a couple years older the story would turn out differently, but as it is, it is very innocent. I ac ...more
Briana Nielson
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Under the Watsons' Porch, by Susan Shreve, is a very exciting, romantic, adventerous book. Ellie Tremont is always looking for something to do until a boy named Tommy Bowers moves in next door. They decide to set up a little camp for the kids in the neighborhood, under the Watsons' porch. After a while, Ellie's parents are starting to get upset about Ellie and Tommy hanging out together. They say he is a bad example and they don't want her around him as much. But it's too late because Ellie alre ...more
☆Tanner☆ Rowand
Sep 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Twelve-year-old Ellie Tremont is bored, and she wishes something, anything, would happen to make her feel alive. So when 14-year-old Tommy Bowers moves in next door, Ellie knows her summer is about to get a lot more interesting. When Tommy suggests they start a camp for the kids on their street under their elderly neighbors the Watsons, porch, Ellie quickly agrees. And when Tommy gives her a diamond necklace that he says he bought, she’s suspicious, though smitten. But by the time her parents do ...more
°☆.。.:*・Arianna°☆.。.:*・
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I bought this book when I was in middle school because of the summary and loved this book right away. I found this book to be a really cute and sweet kind of romance. Even though the romance was very innocent between Ellie and Tommy I believe that the author wrote their romance perfectly; showing first love. It was really sweet all Tommy was doing for Ellie and what Tommy was planning to do with Ellie for the children in the neighborhood. I thought that this book really represented how a childho ...more
Kristen
I could relate to this book a lot! Ellie's parents are teachers who must learn to look beyond a boy's reputation to see his true good-heart and the great friendship he and their daughter can have. Likewise, I relaized this will probably be something I will have to experience often to truly get to know my future students. This book is great for coming-of-age and for those pre-teens starting to but-heads with their parents!
Amy
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, tween-novel
The author perfectly captures that feeling of your first, true crush. The characters are wholly believable and there is a sweetness to this story and the fragile relationship that develops between the young girl and boy.
However, I couldn't help but wonder if this is one of those children's books that adults like but kids don't really get. I would have to know the reader to recommend this one. It is appropriate for tweens and young teens and definitely would appeal to girls.
Sue (booknbeachbag)
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
What I didn't like about the book was that the "bad boy's" actions didn't prove he'd had a turn around. Perhaps it was enough for Ellie, but not enough for her junior high teacher/parents. That seemed highly unrealistic.

The character of Ellie wasn't particularly likable but as another reviewer wrote, Milo was adorable.
Shiya
Dec 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i finished this good book i honestly loved this book to start with this book .this book had mystery an everything loved it soo much the two main characters were Elle Termonte an Tommy Browser. these were to kids who really like each other very much.they gave each other there hearts. you should read his book if you like a romance/ mystery.
Diane Folz
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Excellent story about twelve year old Ellie, a "good girl" (both parents are teachers!) who falls head over heals for the new "bad boy" who has moved in next door. The young man, Tommy, has been in and out of foster care his whole life so he brings a unique set of problems to the relationship. Anyone who likes a little romance mixed with a lot of reality will really enjoy this one!
Jan Coates
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked a lot of things about this book (the cover is great!), but the ending left me unsatisfied. I didn't really see what the 12-year-old girl had gained from the experience; I wasn't convinced the "delinquent" boy had actually changed for the better, either. Interesting plot though, with the Lollipop Garden and all.
Rachel
Sep 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: school-10
This was a good book with a sweet story-line. Should have been an easy read, but It kinda got lost and then I forgot about it and by the time I got around to it i forgot what was going on. Good book on friendship none the less.
Shiya
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is sooo good i love the mystery in it. mystery books represent me to well. its has u wondering whats gonna happen in the en. this is what i think is gonna happen i think that there gonna have sex even thought that there only 12 and 13
Loni
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was okay. It was pretty boring, even for a younger reader. The plot is lacking and it feels like the book never has a climax or an interesting movement in the plot.

A note for young readers: there are references to smoking and stealing.
Jnase1
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good middle grade book for girls. Definitely a book about growing up and experiencing new feelings towards boys. If you enjoyed "Are You There God? It's Me Margaret", you would enjoy this read as well.
Brionnac
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is
Mackenzie
Oct 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
best book ever!!!!
Zoe
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite book ever!!
Tootsie
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not too great. There was a lot of boring elements to it that just made you not want to read on. But, I forced myself to and it got better but it was the same old, nothing special.
Payton
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really different kind of book but still pretty good!
Abby Starkel
I really liked this book. It displays a lesson in the story, and is easy to follow. I didn't really find anything I disliked about this book.
Manders
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
sucky ending but otherwise its ok
Talley
  • The Umbrella
  • Water Tales: Aquamarine and Indigo
  • Fancy White Trash
  • Itch
  • The Society of Unrelenting Vigilance (Candle Man, #1)
  • Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Babe Ruth Baseball (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #6)
  • The Loud Silence of Francine Green
  • Here Today
  • Agnes Parker . . . Girl in Progress
  • Lord of the Kill
  • Maya Running
  • The Little Lamb
  • When I Was Older
  • An Ocean Apart, a World Away
Also know as Susan Shreve. Received the following awards: Jenny Moore Award, George Washington University, 1978; Notable Book citation, American Library Association (ALA), 1979, for Family Secrets: Five Very Important Stories; Best Book for Young Adults citation, ALA, 1980, for The Masquerade; Notable Children's Trade Book in the Field of Social Studies, National Council for Social Studies and the ...more
More about Susan Richards Shreve