Start by marking “The Mage-Fire War (The Saga of Recluce, #21)” as Want to Read:
The Mage-Fire War (The Saga of Recluce, #21)

The Mage-Fire War

(The Saga of Recluce #21)

Modesitt continues his bestselling Saga of Recluce with the twenty-first book in this bestselling epic fantasy series.

Once again, prejudices against the use of chaos magic force Beltur and his companions to flee their refuge in Axalt. The rulers of nearby Montgren have offered them sanctuary and the opportunity to become the Councilors of the run-down and disintegrating to
Published August 13th 2019 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Mage-Fire War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mage-Fire War

eyes.2c
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy
Awesome! Modesitt continues to link the past present and future of Recluse!

How is it that I have become absolutely gripped by Beltur and Jessyla's efforts to find a place for themselves in a world that turns against them? Maybe because we all want a sense of place in our own reality.
Continuing on from the 'Outcasts of Order', they and their companions have fled from Axalt to Montegren. They have been given sanctuary by the Duchess and under a new charter appointed as the Council for the disinteg
Jim
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's nice to wrap up this trilogy within the Recluce Saga. Beltur's story is an interesting one, but I can't help feeling a shorter book would have worked better. His self-recrimination & out-sized sense of responsibility got really old. There was also a fair amount of redundancy that hampered an otherwise excellent story.

Best of all, we learn a very important piece of history that really changes things up. (view spoiler)
Liviu
With the caveat that there is one more book in this extended sequence (though taking place some years later and not with beltur as main lead- one can speculate that Taelya will be main lead for various reasons, both related to what we know about Fairhaven to come and intrinsic to this 4 book sequence), so my opinion may change on re-read and /or on reading the next novel in this mini-series as it did in other mini-series of the author set in Recluce or Solidar, I was mostly disapointed by this o ...more
Patrick St-Denis
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Back in 2017, I believed that The Mongrel Mage marked the beginning of a brand new story arc, the first book in what would likely be another two-volume Recluce sequence. Yet it turned out that Beltur had a much bigger story to tell. L. E. Modesitt, jr. tried to write this story arc in his habitual two-book format, but the manuscripts soon reached a size that made it impossible for Tor Books to release them as a pair of novels.

The decision was made to split Beltur's tale into three separate insta
William Bentrim
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Mage-Fire War by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
This book follows the Outcasts of Order. Beltur and Jessyla have taken up residency in Haven by grace of the Duchess. They are expected to bring order (pun intended) to Haven, a lawless and seemingly ungovernable community.
Modesitt writes a great story. In this book he shows how determination and wit can overcome brawn and witlessness, impulsiveness and rancor. Beltur and company must find a way to overcome daunting odds to defeat the Duke’s troops and pr
Nicholas
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mongrel Mage, Outcasts of Order, and The Mage-Fire War are less a trilogy than one book published in three parts. While the first does almost have the typical "semi-conclusion" common to the first volume of the paired Recluce novels, the second and third flowed so directly into each other that I almost expected the chapter numbering to be continuous. As a series it has been fascinating to see a part of that world's history which we had not yet explored, and to learn that that part's history is r ...more
Jason
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I waited for this book ever since the previous one came out and bought it on the day it was released. I *really* wanted to like this book.

I can't, though. It's like Modesitt just picked bits and pieces of previous Recluce books and changed the names. There's very little in this book that isn't already covered in previous books, including everyone's favorite: kitchen cisterns. 😐

I came in expecting the gripping conclusion to Beltur and Jessyla's story. Instead, I got a lot of recycled themes and p
Annarella
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, fantasy
I'm a fan of L.E Modesitt and had high expectations but unfortunately they were not met.
The book failed to keep my attention, I found it slow paced and with too many descriptions.
When something happens I find the writer I loved.
Many thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Nina Høegh-Larsen
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Didn't suffer as much from a rushed ending as the previous book, but neither does it feel as tight as Recluce books normally are. After reading all 3 books in this story arch I wonder slightly about whether things could have been moved around a bit to make it tighter, story wise.
Natty
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brilliant next chapter in this story arc. By the third novel I was so invested in the characters and their stories that I found myself leaning forward in my chair reading as fast as I could as if I too were in the action scenes. Really excellent writing.
Dewayne
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A clean, credible ending of Beltran & his companion’s search for a place & situation where they can (mostly) make their own decisions on how they will live and what goals they will pursue. The trials they faced and the success & failures along the way were all “believable”.

The very end was slightly over the top, I almost expected it to close “and they all lived happily ever after” 😁.
Janette
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, modessit
Not as good as previous novels. Beltur is not his most interesting main character and a lot of the plot seemed to be rehashed from earlier stories This latest Recluse trilogy seems to be the weakest so far. However, I would be interested to what happens to Taeyla as she grows up
Klaus Yde
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good, but just like alle the others, not many new ideas.
Stephen Davis
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Good fast paced story. Nice to have multiple books covering a single character in the world of Recluse.
Tony Fecteau
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The great progression by Beltar and his family and friends was very satisfying. As always, the level of detail and training in the novel had me fascinated from beginning to end.
vaderbird
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Sadly I feel I am ready for recluse to finally wrap up...
5 star - Perfect
Bill
Aug 19, 2019
Blayne Watt
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u

The Saga of Recluce (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1)
  • The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2)
  • The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3)
  • The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)
  • Fall of Angels (The Saga of Recluce, #6)
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)
  • Colors of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #9)
  • Magi'i of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce, #10)