Start by marking “Breakout” as Want to Read:
Breakout

Breakout

Six days.

That’s the amount of time until Lezah’s execution.

She’ll die never knowing what got her locked up in this godforsaken prison in the first place. Her only chance of survival is to escape. Except the monitoring bracelet that digs into her wrist, the roaming AI, and the implant in her neck make freedom close to impossible.

Her best chance is to team up with the fou
Published June 3rd 2019 by Entangled Publishing LLC (Teen)

To ask other readers questions about Breakout, please sign up.
A.M. Rose Stephanie,
Thanks for asking. The release date is set for June 3, 2019.
Best,
Ann

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
Breakout was an intense ride that kept me on the edge of my seat. I found myself completely captured by this story and had to know what happened next. So this book refused to be put down and I needed to know that everyone I cared for survived. There were lots of twists and turns and while I tried my hardest to put the clues together, I was still left in the dark at times. I loved that this book challenged me. So if you're a fan of dystopian, then definitely give this book a try!
My legs beg for
Carrie
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Breakout by A.M. Rose is a young adult science fiction fantasy that is a dystopian, futuristic version of our society. The story is one that is rather fast paced as the characters face constant dangers.

Lezah is in prison with no memory of how she got there or if she did anything to deserve being locked up. There are only six days left on Lezah’s prison sentence but she will not be set free when her countdown is over, instead Lezah will be executed.

With a bracelet on that monitors every move and
Schizanthus
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I’ll admit it. I requested to read this book solely because of the awesome spider on the front cover. Yes, I quickly glanced at the blurb so was intrigued by how the prison escape would unfold but really, the spider had already clinched the deal.
This is a place they send people to die when they’ve done something wrong. Really wrong.
Lezah is number twenty-two. She’s in prison but has no memory of committing a crime, and the clock on her metal bracelet is counting down to her expiration date.

E
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
The wonderful Jen over at Star-Crossed Book Blog made this book sound so compelling, I decided I have to read it for myself!

Here is Jen's amazing review if you'd like to check it out! :D
Meg
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of A.M. Rose’s new book, BREAKOUT. Lezah, a prisoner in a dark near future world, is set to be executed in six days. But the prison isn’t a simple place. As she searches for an escape, the secrets she she uncovers changes how she sees everything about her overly surveilled, ruined world.

First of all, the world building blew my mind. I LOVE a good sci-fi and this book did not disappoint. Lezah was a great heroine. I rooted for her from page one, and when Seph
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
You can find the full review and all the fancy and/or randomness that accompanies it at It Starts at Midnight .

Breakout was fun and entertaining, but that was about the sum of it for me. It has vibes of The Hunger Games, but I don't fully understand the "why" of the story. I would have liked a bit of a deeper connection with Lezah, but the story is definitely more action-driven. While the plot is engaging, we don't really get a sense for the world in which it is taking place. Obviously some Bad
Jypsy
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Breakout is a dystopian science fiction story. The story centers around a terrible prison where people who have done terrible things go to die. Lezah finds herself here, but she doesn't know why. The past month of her life is a total blank. This prison is technologically controlled with robots in charge. Each inmate wears a bracelet that counts down to their day of death. Lezah and another inmate find a way to remove the bracelet. They intend to escape. Will they make it out alive? The story is ...more
Katya Becerra
This is the second book I had the pleasure of blurbing!

I'm super excited for A.M. Rose's BREAKOUT (formerly Not Innocent), hitting bookshelves in early 2019.

Here's my official blurb:

"A.M. Rose's sophomore novel, BREAKOUT, is sure to take readers on a fascinating journey into the distant (or not so distant) future, where technology controls every aspects of life and state surveillance reigns supreme. Part cyberpunk dystopia, part frantic prison break romp, and part science fiction, BREAKOUT wi
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
Lezah is at Ironport Detention, but she has no idea why.  No one goes by their names.  They're just numbers.  Each prisoner wears a bracelet that not only monitors their every move, but it also shocks them when they do something wrong.  The bracelets have their execution countdown on them.  When they come to take away a girl across from her cell, they make the prisoners watch as she is tortured.  Lezah has never really talked to her roommate.  But Clara's time is almost up and she realizes that ...more
Amber (The Book Bratz)
All I’m saying that there better be a book 2 because there are too many things that have been left unanswered
Vicky Skinner
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If ever there was a book with nonstop action, this is it! Not a single dull moment from first page to last! Fans of dystopian novels are going to love this one! Shocking, exciting, and a little romantic!
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Dystopian
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

A.M. Rose's Breakout is part cyberpunk dystopia, part frantic prison break romp, and part science fiction. This is a story that features Lezah, or #22 of #49 in a maximum prison where she only has 6 days left before she becomes just another number in a much deeper conspiracy. Set in a tech-controlled prison where artificial intelligent roaming servants seem to be in control, it is a place they send people to die when they've d
Jessica Calla
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
BREAKOUT is an awesome, Young Adult Sci-Fi story set in a dystopian world where technology controls, humanity is scarce, and fear dominates. The main character is Lezah, an inmate in a tech-controlled prison, who is scheduled to be executed but who truly wants to survive. In a world of technology, however, escape is risky, and she's going to need a little help from her friends.

From the very start, this book jumped into the action, and like Ms. Rose's debut, ROAD TO EUGENICA, it soon proved itse
Erin
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A.M. Rose did it again. This book is high tension from the very first page, anytime I thought I knew what was coming next I was surprised. A.M. Rose has a way of leaving breadcrumbs that don't become obvious until the bomb drops. And you're like - OMG - now that I know it's soooo obvious.

As soon as I started reading this book I couldn't put it down. It's about Lezah who is set to be executed in six days unless she can find a way out of a prison that will do anything to keep her locked inside.

If
Kayla McGrath
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Twelve’s voice cuts through me like broken glass. That’s basically what she is now. That’s what they’ll do to her - break her into a thousand shards.”

True to an A.M. Rose novel, “Breakout” had a plot twist ending that left me stunned and reeling.

Set in a future where the world has been ravaged by climate change, our protagonist Lezah is locked in a harsh and stringent prison with no knowledge as to how or why. But that’s not even the worst part.

Her execution is scheduled in six days.

Along with
Erica Chilson
I received a free copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 Stars

Young Adult age-range: 12+, including profanity, kissing, and mild science fiction violence.

A.M. Rose is a new-to-me author, and I'm curious to read more in the future. Breakout is not listed as the debut in a series, however I hope there is more to come to answer many threads left untied.

Shelby
~I received a free copy to read & review for Wicked Reads~

Breakout was an exciting, young-adult, sci-fi read!
My attention was grabbed from the beginning. We follow a young lady, imprisoned with no memory of committing a crime. Fear gripped me, but I had no know what was going on.
This future world is a strange place, where computers walk amongst men and fear dominates all.

When Lezah and her cell-mate agree that they need to breakout before their death-date of 4 days and 1 day, respectively,
Tammy Oja
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
**I was lucky enough to get to read an arc of this on NetGalley. The opinions are my own and in no way do I base them on getting the arc. Books are sacred and I care about the review process and it’s integrity**

Breakout is a page turning fast read that keeps you guessing until the author decides to reveal the twists. It’s unique blend of dystopian and futuristic setting melds perfectly into a story that gives you a glimpse into the what if. From the very first pages I found myself holding my bre
Debbie Turk
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
An Entertaining & Pacey Read With Some Darker Elements!😱🔗⚡🌴🌉

This is a fast paced YA Dystopian Fantasy.
We have a group of 3 girls initially, led by Lezah then Clara followed by Ruthie. Lezah & Clara are Cell Mates in Prison & both have been given a death sentence!😳 Lezah can't even remember why she was arrested let alone what she could have done that would've led to her being given the Death Penalty!!😱😢 Their prison Guards are ArtifIcially Intelligent Beings but they seem to be havin
Olivia Farr
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
BREAKOUT is a thrilling and fast-paced YA sci-fi/dystopian. Lezah is in prison for a crime she cannot remember. This future prison is cruel where the guards are robots and the prisoners must wear bracelets that discipline them with shocks for any steps out of line (even just a movement to pick up something they dropped). When their counter runs out, it seems that they will be killed. Lezah’s bracelet is rapidly approaching zero.

When something unusual happens and Lezah is able to get a small need
Francesca
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me a free copy in exchange of an honest review*

The hunger games meets The maze runner: in this fast-paced book set in futuristic and post-war California, Lezah doesn't remember why she's imprisoned. Escaping from the prison where she's being kept and teaming up with a bunch of other teenage prisoners, Lezah is on the road to discover what is happening to her homeland and what is happened to her.
Good plot (sometimes a bit predictable), well rou
Ally
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 out of 5 stars.

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review of Breakout.

Breakout is the story of how Lezah, a convicted criminal living on a futuristic hellscape death row, breaks out of prison and unwillingly picks up four friends while she's at it. The concept really caught my attention more than the cover did, and it promised a mystery -- one I don't really feel paid off as well as it could have. While the story scraped through passably in the end, I had a lot of
WycEd Reader
Jun 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Erica – ☆☆☆☆
A.M. Rose is a new-to-me author, and I'm curious to read more in the future. Breakout is not listed as the debut in a series, however, I hope there is more to come to answer many threads left untied.

Breakout starts with some confusion, because the narrator doesn't know where she is, why she's there, how she got there, with a large portion of her recent memory blank. Held prisoner, the world-building is futuristic, science fiction, a dystopian vi
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Breakout begins with Lezah in her prison cell contemplating her escape. The plan is not going so well as she has no memory of how she got there in the first place. Lezah has no memory of the day she was brought into the prison she doesn’t even know what she did to get there. All she can remember is working day in and day out helping her mother take care of her little brother ever since the day her father disappeared.

On her wrist is a bracelet that she has no memory of how or who put it there. O
Aly
Actual rating is 3.5/5 stars.

So! Breakout.

Let me start of by saying that I did enjoy this book for what it was, a fast-paced, dystopian-vibe, prison breakout, YA novel with pretty enjoyable characters.

Things get started right away, like right away. About 5% in we're already getting into escape plans and forming bonds with characters. It starts off fast, and it doesn't ever slow down at all. At some points it gets a little too fast, but it doesn't detach much from the overall story. If you li
Elysian Fields
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
Its not often I get a book based on the cover but this cover really pulled me in (I am a huge sucker for spiders) and once I read the blurb I knew I had to read the story that went along with it.

I am new to this author and still fairly new to YA/Sci-Fi stories. While there were many things I liked about this story, there were also a few things that didn't work for me (also please remember that I received an early copy so some things might change upon the final draft and because of that parts of
Suz Jay
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
“But along with all my other possessions, my government issued SOUL is gone, too. And no one can live without their SOUL, without the device that’s their phone—computer—appearance alternator—money—you can’t buy anything, go anywhere, or even communicate with anyone. Not having it solidifies the fact that my time is running out.”*

Just as the days until Lezah’s execution for a crime she can’t rememb
Erika
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was honestly so good but I'm disappointed in the ending. Still, I enjoyed it enough that I didn't mind it too much which is why I'm giving it a 4 stars.

Now, I'm not one to compare books but this reminded me of Maze Runner. Despite Maze runner having more danger compared to this book, I felt like this one was more suspenseful.
The story is well written albeit it jumps to multiple concepts.

For the characters, I liked Lezah and Seph a lot. I don't know why I thought Seph was going to be those a
Lynndell
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Good storyline, rushed ending.
Thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Teen for the opportunity to read and review Breakout by A.M. Rose!
A prison full of young prisoners, with the last of their lives ticking away while robots guard and serve them, makes up the character pool for the first part of the book. Two cell mates try to escape since they don’t have anything to lose. They get another prisoner added to the escape party and the three of them accidentally end up in a juvenile prison for young men.
Fizza
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This tale is woven around a mysterious place where people go to die, not willingly of course. These people are criminals and that's their penalty. But two girls decide they don't want to die so soon. Firstly, because who does? But also because they feel wronged. Their crimes were not so great. There is no reason for them to face certain death. As they plan their escape and try to break out from this prison they will face many challenges and meet more people along the way. Some will be friends an ...more
A.M. Rose is the author of Road to Eugenica, and Breakout (formerly titled Not Innocent) is the writer of young adult novels, drinker of too much coffee (with way too much coconut creamer), and lover of all carbohydrates.
Currently, she lives in Houston, TX with her three boys (yes, her husband is in that count) and three cats. When she isn’t writing, she is an avid reader, critiquer, (is that eve