Start by marking “Skidding Into Oblivion” as Want to Read:
Skidding Into Oblivion

Skidding Into Oblivion

We each inhabit many worlds, often at the same time. From worlds on the inside, to the world on a cosmic scale. Worlds imposed on us, and worlds of our own making.

In time, though, all worlds will end. Bear witness:

After the death of their grandmother, two cousins return to their family’s rural homestead to find a community rotting from the soul outward, and a secret nobod
Paperback, First, 350 pages
Published February 19th 2019 by ChiZine Publications

To ask other readers questions about Skidding Into Oblivion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skidding Into Oblivion

Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
These stories don’t just skid into oblivion. I would say they run full-tilt, brake lines cut, plummeting off the edge with no chance of turning back.

What glorious freedom in that end!

Each story that Hodge creates is a full world of its own, crafted with the care of a full length novel, something that I find quite rare in short stories. As a reader, I could see beyond the edges of the story, beyond just the characters on the page, peeking a glimpse into the rest of their world, and more important
Paul
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So many terrifying things about "Skidding Into Oblivion!"

First, Mr. Hodge is a skilled horror writer, who can deliver the chills as well as the best in the genre. He has a sick imagination, and uses it well. Will I ever read a bleaker short story than "One Possible Shape of Things to Come?" If I do, will I survive?

Second, he's changed my assumptions about the horror genre, the subtext of which I've always assumed was psychological (your primal fears grown tentacles and marching down the street,
Karen
I DNF'd this not because the writing is poor or the stories are too scary/not scary enough. I actually quite enjoyed the first two I read. However, I realized my attention was starting to wane. I'm not a huge fan of short stories in general, and horror isn't really my thing (this book was gifted to me), so I'll have to pass on the rest of this collection.
Lauren
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“These were dark waters, full of secrets and unintended tombs [...] They were sepulchers of dread, trapped in another world where they so plainly did not belong.”

First and foremost, I want to give a HUGE thank you to ChiZine Publications for sending me an ebook copy of Skidding into Oblivion by Brian Hodge in exchange for an honest review.

Skidding into Oblivion will be released on February 26 and if you buy only one book this month, let it be this book. I read an ebook but I'm seriously conside
Scotty
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-best
I never read short story collections like novels. I usually have three or four going at any given time, and I'm always sort of skipping back and forth between them. Even with collections by my favorite authors (H.P. Lovecraft, Gemma Files, John Langan, Shirley Jackson, etc.) and classics like King's "Skeleton Crew" and Barker's "Books of Blood," I tend to sample more than feast.

So I was surprised when I found myself three-quarters of the way through Brian Hodge's "Skidding Into Oblivion" with no
Ryan
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-read
Brian Hodge is an author whose work you ought to know. And yet to my dishonor, while I was familiar with his name, I hadn’t read anything by him until recently. Then I found this collection, and the story contained therein entitled "The Stagnant Breath of Change."

The story opens with two horrors: a man who won’t/can’t/is not allowed to die, and a town that will not abide change. Both are tied to one another. The man, Beasley, is the last of his ilk, a good-ole-boy-town-patriarch type who we’ll l
Chad Brock
B.
Jan 10, 2019
Toni | Dark Reads
Jan 11, 2019
Brian Hodge, called “a writer of spectacularly unflinching gifts” by Peter Straub, is the award-winning author of ten novels of horror and crime/noir. He’s also written well over 100 short stories, novelettes, and novellas, and four full-length collections. His first collection, The Convulsion Factory, was ranked by critic Stanley Wiater as among the 113 best books of modern horror.

He lives in Col