Start by marking “Small Town Hearts” as Want to Read:
Small Town Hearts

Small Town Hearts

Fresh out of high school, Babe Vogel should be thrilled to have the whole summer at her fingertips. She loves living in her lighthouse home in the sleepy Maine beach town of Oar’s Rest and being a barista at the Busy Bean, but she’s totally freaking out about how her life will change when her two best friends go to college in the fall. And when a reckless kiss causes all t ...more
Published March 19th 2019 by Swoon Reads

Start your review of Small Town Hearts
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*3.5/5

A little dramatic at times, but beautifully written and it captures summer time so ridiculously well. This is a great book to pick up next if you loved How To Make a Wish by Ashley Herring Blake but you want something just a little bit lighter.
Vicky Again
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I’ve watched Small Town Hearts evolve over quite a few years, and the final product is *chef’s kiss* amazing.

It’s extremely atmospheric, filled with a cast of messy yet endearing characters, and featuring a swoony summer romance that leaves you wishing you had a summer romance too.

I’m so happy to finally be bringing my review your way, and I can’t gush enough about this book and how much I love it.

The character dynamics are complex and meaningful.

This is definitely my favorite part of the who
Romie
this was honestly so adorable? I don't think my heart can handle it. this was super soft. but at the same time it dealt with very important subjects, such as coming out and respecting that someone may not be ready yet to share their sexuality with the world, outgrowing friendships and discovering who you can be on your own, understanding what makes you happy and what you want out of life. this book was the perfect summer book, with a bisexual main character I would give my life for. (4.25)

link t
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
*I received a copy for the blog tour, this in no way affected my opinion*

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Original review posted on my blog : Word Wonders

CW: Recreational drug use, alcohol consumption, alcohol abuse (wuth dubious consent), manipulative friendship.

I have been excited for Small Town Hearts for MONTHS so of course I jumped on the occasion to read and review it when the blog tour was announced. And to no one’s surprise, much less mine, I ended up absolutely loving it. This is the kind of boo
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
This review originally appeared on Novel Ink.

Small Town Hearts is a sweet, realistic coming-of-age story that’s impossible not to love. We follow our protagonist, Babe Vogel, during a summer that does not go at all as she planned. With both of her childhood best friends preparing to leave for college come fall, Babe is ready to spend the summer making one last b
Kay
Many thanks to Swoon Reads/Macmillan for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review

This book was so adorable! It was so cute and sweet and had be swooning all the way through. I read in January, so the middle of winter, and the whole time this book had be thinking summer summer need summer now.

The setting and premise of this book is basically your perfect summer (or any time of the year) read! Set in a cute little town in Maine, this book includes long languid days on the beach,
Kate (GirlReading)
There is so much to love about this book:

* The small town, where everybody knows your name, that's why neighbours become good friends, Gilmore Girls vibe.
* THE FOOD. I swear, I was hungry 99% of the time whilst reading this.
* The exploration into the complexities of friendships.
* The fact that the MC wasn't going to college and that, not only was totally okay with it, it was her choice!
* The uncomplicated discussions and general acceptance surrounding sexuality (the MC is bi).
* The love interest
Holly
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
*2.5 stars ✨

This was a hard one to rate. For the most part I enjoyed this book. The things I liked about it: 1. I loved Oar's Rest! This was a Maine small town where I would love to live. Lillie Vale wrote a setting that just made you feel good all over. 2. I loved Busy's. I want their baked goods!! 3. I enjoyed Babe and Levi's story, I wish it had gone a little more into their love story. 4. I liked Lucy as a character the best. I wouldn't mind a book centered around her:) What I didn't like:
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
set aside @ 10%

I'm definitely going to pick this back up soon, but 1) the weather sucks here and this book's setting is making me grumpy and envious, and 2) I'm so not in the mood for weird melodrama in books right now :(
Tiffany (Read By Tiffany)
Small Town Hearts is a book that is easy to love—it fills your heart with warm nostalgia and sweet memories of summer, friendship, and love. Babe, our lovable and refreshing protagonist, is a small-town girl who is facing that melancholy transition period in her life of post-high school graduation. As her childhood best friends, Penny and Chad, prepare for college, this summer is meant to be the perfect one to spend together, but things get thrown off the rails when a messy kiss threatens their ...more
Lillie Vale
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
If you're seeing this, it's because you're reading Small Town Hearts or thinking about reading Small Town Hearts, and that makes me so incredibly happy!

But first and foremost, take care of your mental health <3 Below is a list of content warnings for anyone who might need them.

* manipulative friendship
* mention of casual drug usage (weed, not shown on the page)
* alcohol consumption (on page)
* alcohol abuse (a character drinks and parties to the point of dehydration and sleep-deprivation; two c
Laura (bbliophile)
This was so incredibly cute!!

Also, I made some playlists for this book. You can find them here.
Lily ☁️
I’m finally starting this book, and I can’t wait for all the summery vibes, because I’m currently freezing to death, even bundled up in two sweaters & a blanket. 🌞

Blog | Bloglovin’ | Instagram | TumblrTwitter
Samantha (WLABB)
This was NOT turning out to be the summer Babe was expecting. She had planned to laze her days away on the beach with her besties eating tacos, but one mistake, and she was ousted from the group. To add to her misery, her ex-girlfriend was back in town after unceremoniously cutting Babe out of her life. All seemed lost, until a silver lining, in the form of a summer boy, appeared.

I am going to tell you right now - I was rooting for the summer boy from the very beginning. Levi was such a sweet li
Anna Luce
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
★★★✰✰ 3 stars

I had a similar reading experience with The Music of What Happens since there too I found that what could have been a potentially cute love story was overshadowed by a deleterious friendship.
Small Town Hearts started well enough. The main character meets a cute 'summery boy' (a term that become increasingly annoying as the story progresses) at work and they seem to have great chemistry. The meet-cute romance between them is not the sole focus of the story as for much of the narrati
Marie
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases, arcs
Well, if I had to sum up this book in a word, it would be: ADORABLE.
I really loved the small town vibes and setting, giving me all the summer feels I was looking for. I adored ALL THE FOOD and cakes in this book (I got hungry while reading... multiple times). The romance was well-built and adorable and I just really really liked them together okay.
Definitely a book I'd recommend for marshmallows/contemporary lovers like me :)

Read my review of Small Town Hearts on the blog.

Emma
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay. I must say I expected a bit more and I was bored in certain parts of it, but other than that it was a pleasant and cute story to read. I think the main relationship took a lot of time to evolve and it's something that bugged me a little bit.
I really appreciated how the "outgrowing of friendships" theme was dealt with, it's usually something you don't get to find in YAs and here it was well done.
I also really enjoyed all the descriptions of the beautiful little seaside town
Savannah
Omg, that was so damn cute! It was the perfect book! I don’t even have any words. It was just that amazing, sweet, sugary, summery, etc (y’all get the point). Please just read this book y’all! 😭💕

5 sugar coated, sand dusted, saltwater dipped stars!
kav (xreadingsolacex)
Disclaimer: I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This in no way impacted my review.

To everyone who ever needed a second chance

Small Town Hearts by Lillie Vale is a contemporary novel about Babe Vogel, our bisexual mc, who has great plans for her first summer after high school, but is more-than disappointed to find out her summer will not as filled with happiness and fun as she had hoped. Babe's friendship with her two best friends, Penny and Chad
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Review first appeared on The Bent Bookworm!*~

5/5 stars for an adorable, realistic summer romance! I was not expecting to love this book as much as I did. But I was intrigued by the synopsis, being a small-town girl at heart myself, and while I’ve only visited Maine once it was gorgeous and picturesque and I would love to go back.
“The cardinal rule of every beach town is that locals do not get involved with tourists. They always leave.”

Babe is a bisexual baking barista (try saying that five ti
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

Small Town Hearts is the kind of book that makes you feel warm inside despite the freezing cold weather. It is a cute and summery read set in a picturesque beach town, and the main character is realistic. I would definitely recommend this one to fans of Sarah Dessen and Morgan Matson.

❀ REALISTIC PLOT

This book tells the story of Babe, a girl who haas just graduated high school and is spending her summer working and contemplating the changes that will occur in the fa
Fanna
"I wanted a hand to hold, a face to cup, an ear to whisper into."

Small Town Hearts is a sweet, romantic contemporary that lays out the summer of Babe, a townie at heart and lover of everything baking, a true barista. It deals with themes of friendship, love, and finding oneself. It will make you crave all the sugary sweets, slices of cake, and iced coffees while also slowly burning you with all the summer vibes. If you're looking for a light yet intricately woven summer story th
The Clever Reader
3.5 Stars

loved the concept of the small town seaside town where boy falls in love with girl. It gave me some Stars Hollow feels where everyone knows everyone, and everyone helps everyone. I really enjoyed those bits.

It's the summer after graduation. The summer of change. Babe works at the local coffee shop and lives in the lighthouse on the hill. When her best friend asks her for a favor she finds herself in a situation that tests her friendships. Babe seemed to always get the short end of the
Jordyn
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ABSOLUTELY FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK.
The setting and atmosphere was fantastic, the romance is so swoon, and the writing?? THE WRITING. I was captivated, entranced, all of it.
Full thoughts can be found on my blog:
Pragati Chaudhari
For full review - Small Town Hearts on The Inked In Book Blog

*ARC received as a part of the blog tour. The thoughts are entirely my own and in no way biased.*

Small Town Hearts is the journey of one kickass protag, Babe, as she navigates through life after her high school graduation. Things are definitely changing for her and this story shows how she adapts to them, how she takes life as it comes and makes the best of what she has. It is a beautiful coming of age story and I love the simplicity o
michelle (magical reads)

read on my blog

We're still teenagers. So if life was just a plot structure, we'd still be in the rising action stage. Our lives are just beginning.

Small Town Hearts truly took my breath away. This book was such a delight, and I can't wait for everyone to read it and fall in love like I did. Also, I totally recommend reading this while listening to Kacey Musgraves's Golden Hour; it really completes the experience (and I totally did not tear up while doing so).

The thing that made me w
Shalini | Book Rambler
This book is so adorable 😍 and I loved every bit of it. The story is perfectly set up in a little town in Maine and the descriptions of the beach, lighthouse... everything made me dive right into the book. Don't even get me started on all the glorious foods that are mentioned in the book🤤🤤

In Small Town Hearts, we meet Babe who works as a barista and makes baked goodies😱 I loved Babe because she knows what to do with her life, she is passionate and...I want her to be my friend. As her ex-girlfri
Cait (Caitsbooks)
I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All quotes are taken from the ARC, and all opinions are my own.

Overall: 5/5 Stars
Characters: 5/5
Setting: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Plot and Themes: 5/5
Awesomeness Factor: 5/5
Review in a Nutshell: Small Town Hearts is a fantastic read, with something for everyone, from an adorable romance to a great portrayal of the ups and downs of friendships.

"This was the summer that everything had come undone, unspooling our lives like the wickedest of st
Ally (The Nature of Pages)
This book was cute! That’s the main word that pops into my head when I think about it.

The plot line felt a little repetitive as if the main cast of characters ran in circles while trying to figure their lives out. It still held my attention enough to enjoy the light read to the end.

The characters were lovable but I never felt like we really got to know them enough to fall utterly in love. Sure, as a reader I related to some of the issues (like going to college in the fall) but not much deeper. I
Nandini | Novels and Nebulas
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary romance who want bisexual rep
Shelves: 2019
Note: I received a free digital ARC of the book via the author and publisher as a part of the promotional blog tour

This book ended up on my 2019 anticipated contemporary reads list thanks to Simant @ Flipping Through the Pages. I signed up for the blog tour to support a desi author's work. I didn't have high expectations from it as contemporary romance is mostly unfamiliar to me.

Babe, the protagonist, was a flawed yet relatable character as she was afraid to explore who she was outside her comfo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate
  • Time of Our Lives
  • Hearts Made for Breaking
  • Fake It Till You Break It
Lillie Vale is the young adult author of ALA's 2020 Rainbow Books List honoree Small Town Hearts and Beauty and the Besharam. Born in Mumbai, she grew up in Mississippi, Texas, and North Dakota. She writes about girls fighting back, the liminality of between-places, the myriad ways in which we’re haunted, and the sometimes monstrous sentience of nature. Vale lives in an Indiana college town where ...more

News & Interviews