Start by marking “Monstress, Vol. 2: La sangre (Monstress, #2)” as Want to Read:
Monstress, Vol. 2: La sangre (Monstress, #2)

Monstress, Vol. 2: La sangre

(Monstress #2)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  13,807 ratings  ·  1,722 reviews
Una coalición de fuerzas está decidida a matar al monstrum que habita en el interior de Maika Mediolobo. Pero la joven Maika tiene su propio objetivo: descubrir los secretos de su madre fallecida, Moriko.

En este segundo volumen de Monstress visitaremos la ciudad costera de Tiria y navegaremos por el mar hasta la misteriosa Isla de los Huesos. Un viaje que obligará a Maika
Published July 1st 2018 by Norma Editorial (first published July 11th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Monstress, Vol. 2, please sign up.
Mitch Issue #13 is going to release in Jan 2018 so it will be continuing. The past 2 volumes released in July of their respective years, so I hope this one …moreIssue #13 is going to release in Jan 2018 so it will be continuing. The past 2 volumes released in July of their respective years, so I hope this one continues that trend. Having to wait so long for this series is killing me. (less)

·  13,807 ratings  ·  1,722 reviews

Start your review of Monstress, Vol. 2: La sangre (Monstress, #2)
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I freaking loved it! This one is even better than the first one. Maika Halfwolf, Kippa, and Captain Ren are all together again in this one. Maika is on a journey to find something and get rid of something. There are a ton of wonderful characters in the book! I took some pictures from my book. They aren't that great but you will get an idea of some of the awesome graphics and creatures =) And they are not in order, just like my life!

ENJOY!

Mel ♥

Anne
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pirates. Of the Caribbean or otherwise.
Arrgh, me matey!

description

Volume 2 probably would have been cool even if Liu hadn't decided to make it pirate-themed, but with the addition of the high seas adventure she really kicked that shit up a notch.

Or is that just me?
You know, sailors just don't get enough credit for being badass in my opinion. Think about it! Mother Nature is a vicious bitch and she's at her most terrifying in the ocean. I mean, who knows what the fuck is lurking down at the bottom of that sucker?!

description

And all that horrific aquatic
Melanie

Vol. 1: Awakening ★★★★★

“Halfwolf’s daughter has returned.”

In Volume Two: The Blood, We are thrown back into this amazing world that I love so much. We are reintroduced to a girl that is living with a monster inside of her. She is being hunted, but trying to piece together all the parts that make up her past, including what happened to her mother, who taught her at a young age to be strong in a world that will refuse to ever accept you.

Moriko and her sidekicks that she doesn’t want to
Samantha
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! I didn't love this volume quite as much as volume 1, but still adored it and this story.
Petrik
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Petrik by: Melanie
Monstress returns with another great installment.

Monstress is the only one out of two graphic novels—the other is Elric adaptation by Julien Blondel—that I’m willing to continue until the end. I know it will still be a while until its completion but to me, the two volume in Monstress is already better than my entire experience with the six-volume I’ve read of Saga by Brian K. V
Caz (littlebookowl)
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Rating: 4.5 stars!

Really enjoying this series so far, and the illustrations are absolutely superb!
Michael Finocchiaro
Excellent continuation from the previous volume from the brilliant Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda. The menagerie of cats, lions, foxes and shark humanoids reminded me of the art in Da qualche parte tra le ombre. The story is still a little convoluted but nonetheless fascinating and engaging. Will Maika come to terms with her dual nature? The Isle of Bones was gorgeously illustrated and I loved the storyline. Only downside is that we have to wait a few more months for Monstress, Vol. 3: HavenVol 3. ...more
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Updated review:

First of all, I have no idea what previously led me to give this 3.0 stars. Obviously, part of it was not rereading vol. 1 beforehand, so a lot of the details flew over my head (b/c crappy memory), but it was more than that, b/c I had tangible feelings of resentment over the "lesser quality" of this second volume.

*rolls eyes at self*

I still think vol. 1 was slightly better. The ending socked me in the FEELS in a way this one didn't, and (despite vol. 2's content) I connected more
David Schaafsma
Update 7/22/18: Eisner Awards 2018, just announced: Monstress took best continuing series, best publication for teens, best painter/multimedia artist (for Takeda), best cover artist (again, for Takeda) and best writer (for Liu). Reread for summer 2018 summer comics class and enjoying it more this time.

8/5/17: “Cats are the great mystery, born in that space where shadow meets light. . . that borderland of dreams and death, and death and life. No door is closed against us. No secret can defy us. W
Wren (fablesandwren)
WrensReads Review:

I guess this is just way over my head. The art is phenomenal and the world seems legitmately awesome; but I just don’t know what the heck is going on the majority of the time and I am just looking at all the pretty pictures.

Oh well, to each their own. I’m just going to go read things that make me smile and cry all at once and not make me feel like an idiot.

WrensReads | Goodreads | Twitter | Instagram
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
If I was rating this on artistic style alone, this would get all the stars.

Seriously, the illustrations in this are jaw-dropping and gorgeous, and should be enough for anyone to give this series a chance. The story elements are only slightly less impressive when placed in comparison.

Clearly, the world-building and history of the land/lore is on point in this series, but I think the one thing that's weighing it down is the tendency to try and accomplish too much too quickly. The story often fli
Sean Gibson
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art is still gorgeous, the plot is still creepily intriguing if occasionally brain-befuddling, and the characterization still ranges from compelling to someone-shove-fifty-pounds-of-catnip-in-that-overly-garrulous-cat’s-mouth-to-shut-him-the-hell-up-before-I-decide-it’s-time-make-a-new-tennis-racket.

Add it all up and I’m game for more.
Chad
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The closest thing I've read to a true illustrated fantasy novel. The art and story combine with Manga and Lovecraftian influences for a unique experience. I'm not sure how a book can look both ethereally beautiful and gut-wrenchingly bloody and awful at the same time. Reading this often feels like the first time I read Sandman back in the day, like we're in on something uniquely special that no one else has discovered yet.

BTW, I love Kippa. At first, she comes across as this stupid little girl a
Lucy Langford
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot get over the graphics in these books! So amazing!
Trish
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I'm repeating myself when saying that I'm completely stunned, both by this graphic novel's story and the artwork. But it's true. The second volume is no different from the first - impeccable.

The young Halfwolf travels further to find out what all her mother's actions MEAN, what is living inside of her and why. She is, once again, accompanied by the little fox girl and Ren (the necromancer cat). But we are introduced to new players as well, some of which are characters from Maika's past a
Bradley
A lot of people have raved about Monstress and I am no exception. From the brilliantly detailed and gorgeous artwork to the dark tale of a demon finding its way out of a girl who was born to carry it and destroy the world, I'm lost in my absolute-favorite iteration of dark fantasy.

My only complaint is that I can't keep reading this forever. I want to jump ahead in the future and have in my hands 10 or 20 full volumes and not just two. I want to savor them and gush over them.

You know, gush like I
Hannah
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is, simply put, absolutely stunning story-telling, on all possible levels. There is a reason why Marjorie Liu won the Eisner Award this year (as the first woman, I might add incredulously in the year 2018).

Picking up after the events of the last volume and not losing even the slightest bit of steam, Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda build on their already impressive worldbuilding, adding new cultures and more depth to this world that already feels much bigger than what we have seen so far. And a
Caro the Helmet Lady
Sana Takeda, you're a GOD. The graphic part of this series is so absolutely gorgeous that it works like a portal to another world. At some point while reading you feel like you're immersed into Maika's world, which is beautiful, wild, unpredictable and cruel. One feels like participating in this wicked fairy tale. So fantastic and so real at the same time.

That's why phrases like "are you fucking insane?" or many other f-bombs author likes to insert here and there feel so unnatural and out of pla
Elle (TheBookishActress)
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Monstress
Everything I have came from years of ruthless murder. Am I safe? No. But I love. I am loyal. And that is my redemption.

Yet again, the art style murders me.

And the plot has gotten even more complicated, although with less focus on Sophia and the humans. Maika is on the run in Thyria after destroying Constantine, looking for the people on the back of her photograph: her old nursemaid Catriona and an unknown child. For some reason, she's also attempting to visit the hidden islands, a site that
Acqua
4.75 stars.

This was even better than the first one. Mostly because we start to get some answers - some of them surprising, some of them I saw coming - but also because we get more insight in some of the side characters that were just named in the first volume.
Now I can say with certainty that Moriko Halfwolf is just as scary as her daughter and she doesn't even need a kaiju inside to be like that, for example. Also, this volume introduced some new characters that have a lot of potential (like Sy
Kaitlin
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gettinggraphic
This is a long-awaited sequel for me as I adored the first volume in this world, and the second one was also brilliant. I feel like a lot of the unanswered questions raised by Vol. 1 get some expansion in this volume and although we're still left wondering a lot by the end, I feel more satisfied with the story too.

The artwork of this is BEAUTIFUL. No other way to put it. I just love the details that are so intricate and well-considered from the amazing architecture and landscapes through to the
Celeste
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Full (mini) review now posted!

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

I enjoyed this installment even more than the first! It still provided the gorgeous artwork I had come to expect from the first installment, but I was more invested in the plot. Kippa, or Little Fox, remains my favorite character. She is adorable and loyal and intelligent and just the sweetest little thing ever. She far too precious for the world in which she lives. I love the character development of our Halfwolf heroine, and the deep que
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Loved this even more than the first one - while still dark, it had that comedic relief with Maika's adorable sidekicks, Kippa and Ren.

This issue takes us across some new destinations, including a pirate ship, the isle of ghosts, with all sorts of sirens and sea creatures and ghostly mirages.

There's also a back story about Maika's mother and her past which she sets out to discover. I loved discovering more about the relationship between them both.

The art style continues to be beautiful, detaile
Allison Hurd
Gotdamn, this story is SO GOOD!

CONTENT WARNINGS (just a list of topics): (view spoiler)

I think the only downside, aside from how dark it is, is that I'd left it too long and forgotten some of the worldbuilding details. I was able to piece it together, but it took me a minute.

Other than that, the art, layout, themes, dialogue, character development...just stunning. That's the only word I have for it.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Vol. 1: Awakening ★★★★★
Vol. 2: The Blood ★★★★★
Vol. 3: Haven ★★★★★

What a beautiful, fantastic continuation of the series. I love how well-developed the world and lore in Monstress is, and I might have enjoyed The Blood even more than Awakening, if only because it featured less child torture/death (which is just a personal trigger of mine that I had to fight past to enjoy Vol. 1).

While there's less death of innocents in this volume, there's definitely still a ton of bloodshed, and we meet a lot o
Ginger
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art work is amazing! I can’t get over the graphic art in this series. Kudos to the illustrator, Sana Takeda!

The plot and world building is getter better. I still feel like it jumps around too much with the plot and characters. Going back into past tense with Maika Halfwolf as a child does help though on understanding the plot.

At times, I get confused with the world building and what is going down. I feel that if I get more information about her mother, this will help.

BUT... it is getting eas
Irene Sim
Too much blood, too many cryptic conversations.... It took me a while to get into the story and still I can't say if I understood much of what was said or done. Nonetheless, the art is AMAZING, and I can always re-read to discover all the little details I missed the first time.
It still surprises me how well this matriarchal society is built, how natural everything flows in the story in the absence of men.
Schizanthus Nerd
If my rambling review after my reread of Volume 1 didn’t convince you that I finally understand what’s so amazing about Monstress, then this may. The first thing I did after I finished reading Volume 2 was to buy the signed B&N exclusive edition of Monstress Book One!

A Note About Spoilers: I can’t write this review without including some information about what happens in this Volume. I’ve tried to stay away from spoilery bits but our definitions of what constitutes spoilers may differ, so please
Faith M ✨
This first one was cool, but didn't really do it for me. This one, though, was seriously awesome. I'm loving this aesthetic, this art, and this world.
daisy
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this series. I thought the first volume was great, but this one was even better. The art is absolutely gorgeous and the character designs are some of the loveliest I've ever seen, quite possibly some of my all-time favourites. Honestly, every time I picked this up to read some more, it made me want to put it back down so I could draw. Art aside, though - the story is really starting to move along and pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together in a way that has me suuuuper intrigu ...more
Robin & Kelsey: Grandma Wolf 2 2 Jul 06, 2020 02:40PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #37 Monstress v2 by Marjorie M. Liu 1 3 Feb 18, 2018 07:51AM

• Saga, Vol. 9
  • Saga, Vol. 6
  • Saga, Vol. 2
  • Saga, Vol. 5
  • Saga, Vol. 3
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 3: Commercial Suicide (The Wicked + The Divine #3)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 5: Imperial Phase, Part I (The Wicked + The Divine #5)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 4: Rising Action (The Wicked + The Divine #4)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 9: Okay (the wicked + the divine #9)
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
New York Times bestselling and award-winning writer Marjorie Liu is best known for her fiction and comic books. She teaches comic book writing at MIT, and she leads a class on Popular Fiction at the Voices of Our Nation (VONA) workshop.

Ms. Liu is a highly celebrated comic book writer. Her extensive work with Marvel includes the bestselling Dark Wolverine series, NYX: No Way Home, X-23, and Black

Monstress (5 books)
  • Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening
  • Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • Monstress, Vol. 5

Articles featuring this book

Marjorie Liu is the author of more than 19 novels and the co-creator and writer of the award-winning horror fantasy grap...
“Just because you are afraid you won't have anything tomorrow doesn't mean you shouldn't help people today.” 18 likes
“But focus always on your shame, and your shame will eat you. It will become you. That is the coward's way. A coward never has to learn.” 18 likes