Start by marking “A Version of the Truth” as Want to Read:
A Version of the Truth

A Version of the Truth

We all see what we want to see…

2019: Julianne is preparing a family dinner when her son comes to her and says he’s found something on his iPad. Something so terrible, it will turn Julianne’s world into a nightmare and make her question everything about her marriage and what type of man her husband is or is pretending to be.

1990: Holly is a fresher student at Oxford Univers
Published February 7th 2019 by Avon Books UK

Maureen
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
* 3.5 Stars *

I suppose I was expecting this to be more of a psychological thriller, but it definitely wasn’t that. What I did find was a novel full of hypocritical, elitist characters who represent the most vile and narcissistic excuses for mankind that it’s possible to come across.

Julianne is preparing dinner when her son Stephen tells her that he’s found something really bad on the home computer among his dad’s files. What follows, when Julianne sees exactly what Stephen has discovered, is a
Louise Wilson
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
2019: Julianne is preparing the family dinner when her son tells her that he's found something on his iPad. The discovery will turn Julianne's works upside down and make her question everything about her marriage.

1990: Holly was a fresher student at Oxford University. She falls into an uneasy friendship with a group of older students from the upper echelons of society and begins to have feelings for one of them. But as the year progresses, her friends behaviour grows steadily more disconcerting
Mark
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book came with quite a reputation re other reviews had read and wasn’t sure what to expect
It needs to be said that the book covers gang rape, gay sex and other subjects and yes whilst these things are covered they are relevant to the story and not just ‘thrown in’ for shock value.
The book reminded me, in parts, of a data age ‘Hostel’ ( if you remember those films ) and the whole book ( above subjects included ) is dark and chilling
The story revolves around characters who met at Uni, some fr
Dannii Elle
I'm totally confused on how to feel about this one. I could scarcely put this book down and yet can't say I enjoyed any of what I read. How is that possible?

Perhaps it is due to the unlikable nature of every one of the characters that inhabited this narrative, fraught with drama and yet of little intrigue. There wasn't one individual the reader could root for, which does not usually bother me and yet here it served to distance me from the text. The characters repeatedly make unforgivable decisio
Selena
Sep 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
I received a free e copy of A Version of the Truth by B P Walter from NetGalley for my honest review.

I will be very honest in saying that this book was not for me. I could not finish this book. There were matters involving, rape, racism and strong sexual violence that I just could not handle.
Mandy White
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A Version of the Truth by B P Walter is a tough book to write a review for without giving too much away. This book will not be for everyone as it deals with some very dark and confronting issues. There are some very graphic scenes that I found hard to read. Still having mixed feeling about it all now - lets just say that it was not what I was expecting when I started this book.

The story is told in 2 storylines - that of Julianne in 2019 who is getting ready for Christmas when her son shows her s
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

This is a dark, twisted and addictive read from B.P. Walter. Set in the present day and focusing on Julianne, whose son has found something awful on their family ipad, the story also takes us back to 1990, when student Holly heads off for the first time to university at Oxford. What follows is shocking, horrifying and absorbing, and I found myself not wanting to put this book down, despite the disturbing subject matter and themes (which I won't give away here
Liz Barnsley
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5*

A Version Of The Truth will not be quite what you expect it to be seems the likely outcome. So it's quite difficult to review without spoilers.

I can say that I started this book yesterday evening then stayed up until 2am to finish it - it grips you in unexpected ways and for unexpected reasons. I do believe this may end up being a marmite book. Ultimately I decided it was clever. Its certainly fairly graphic and endlessly fascinating.

I can't say I liked any of the characters at all even be
Cora Tea Party Princess

Content Warnings: rape, sexual assault, coercion, homophobia.

Although this book was excellently written, I can't give it more than three and a half stars. It's a difficult book, it took me ten days to read because I had to keep putting it down, it's a generally triggering book that left me feeling very uneasy. It's dark and it's serious and it's disconcerting and it's scary.
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It’s told by Julianne and Holly. Holly’s story was set during her time at oxford university in 1990 and Julianne’s from the present day. I liked both characters and did feel awful for them both throughout the book. I couldn’t stand Ernest, Ally or James. They thought because they were rich they could do anything they wanted. The book dealt with very serious subjects and it was tough to read but I think the author wrote the book extremely well. The book can be graphic so ...more
Elaine
Oct 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
If you want to read a story about privileged, entitled, perverted white men and the mousy, doormat, weak wives who “love” them, then you will enjoy A Version of the Truth.

Told in past and present POVs from Holly, a sheltered freshman student at Oxford, and Julianne, the wife of James, also of Oxford.

A traumatic assault Holly suffered as a young woman will have devastating repercussions for everyone involved in the future.

Let me be blunt; there are no nice people here, not even vaguely sympath
Ludwig
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
"The fear, which had helped me continue to fight back, steadily became like an anaesthestic."

When I heard that this book is in the vein of Anatomy of A Scandal, no matter how much nostalgia I get when thinking of that novel, I was completely determined to read A Version of The Truth.

However, I was SO astounded by the vicious scenes - featuring heartless characters - that were used to portray sexual abuse in this book.

There were also so many other highlights in this read, such as:
* A voyeurism
Brandy
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Sex. Drugs. College. Sorry kids - no rock-n-roll in this twisted, gnarly, dark tale.

A Version of the Truth hits a bit too close to home for me; however, I muddled through triumphantly. It’s a good read for those with a strong heart and no skeletons hanging in the closet waiting to say “hello” reminding you of a past you wish would stay buried. A Version of the Truth keeps you tuned in, stringing you along, twisting you in ways you didn’t think you could be twisted. Even though the books main top
Julie Parks
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic plot, if a bit hard to believe but then again, seeing the news today, maybe not really. This book certainly takes the domestic thriller to the next level.

The parallel timelines tangle dangerously inevitably leading toward a predictably tragic climax that blows up your entire emotion system.

Big thanks to Avon Books for the chance to read this in exchange for my honest review.
Shalini
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A hard hitting book with a gritty look at the sexual perversions in a fictional version written to understate the truth and bring the realities to the forefront.

2 timelines with Holly as the narrator in 1990 and Julianne in 2019, the book started with Julianne's son finding files in the family drop box which shattered their lives. Holly's story had its own gruesome reality where a crush led to obsession which led to rape.

BP Walter writing came with a bold stroke with graphic details of all the
Helen (TBC)
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbc, netgalley
I absolutely loved this ... what a cracking debut - horrendously plausible!

This novel starts off deceptively gently but then think of all the cliches - 'gripping', 'couldn't put it down', had me holding my breath' - every single one of them applied to me when reading this!

Character driven, tense and skillfully woven over two time lines this is a brilliant read. If you are squeamish about it containing a fairly graphic (but not gratuitous or erotic) sex scene then this one isn't for you, it IS
Eeva
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There's an “I let out a breath I only now realised I’ve been holding” line on page 19 and I think that's all you need to know about this book.

But seriously, the premise of this book is brilliant and I was very interested at the beginning. The reviews said it's dark and weird and twisted and creepy and shocking and let me tell you I love those things.
Unfortunately the book fell very flat.
Underdevelopped characters. Weak and stupid people everywhere. I don't mind the fact that they're all unlikabl
peggy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, thriller
After reading this book I am not sure if I enjoyed it. Saying that I was gripped and could not put this book down.
Be warned this book is very graphic in places and OMG so very dark.
The story spans twenty-five years and dips in two time periods, past and present.
Something is brought to light and a group of old friends are forced are now forced to answer some very uncomfortable questions. As a group these characters are far from likeable. I can't give too much away but I will say what does conse
K.S. Marsden
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Julianne discovers her husband might be hiding something; something that started with their days at university.

I received a free copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

This book follows two connected timelines - the modern day Julianne, who is married to James; and the 90's Holly, who has a major crush on James when they both attend Oxford.

I was worried, coming into this book, after reading some reviews about the trigger warnings, that it wouldn't be for me; but I actually thought
Stephanie
A Version Of The Truth wasn’t really what I expected it to be. I did expect secrets to be revealed and for lives to fall apart. What I didn’t expect was for the storyline to be mainly about how one of the characters dealt with what she found out. I also didn’t expect to detest so many of the characters, most of them are repulsive. There were only two I liked throughout, but they appeared less than everybody else. Two did grow on me as I read more and I realised how they had been duped. The other ...more
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
After reading this I looked at the reviews and saw a mixture of different views on this story. This is why I love reading. We all don’t like the same books and that can be a great positive.

I really didn’t like the characters in this story. It’s rare I find a book that I didn’t click with any of the characters.

This is one of those books that won’t be for everyone. Personally I love taboo reads so I enjoyed this story. The author knows how to push the readers. Take them out of their comfort zone
Sophie Bristow Harris
A Version of The Truth is told over two timelines - 1991 by Holly and 2019 by Julianne.
This book seemed very familiar to me and I should mention it could contain triggers for some people to be wary of....
I really liked the two characters I’ve mentioned but all the others were pretty despicable really!
A well written psychological thriller.
CwtchUpBooks
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dark, twisted debut. Not what I expected but still enjoyable.
Renita D'Silva
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Disturbing and dark
Denise
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
This one really wasn't for me. It wasn't quite what I expected based on the description. I was expecting a domestic psychological suspense and it was more of a rich bad boys/sexual assault story. Not as interesting as it seemed and too many sex scenes for my taste.
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a really hard one for me to rate. I so wanted to give a glowing review for release date but unfortunately, I found this one quite hard to swallow.

I was quite intrigued by the opening of this one but things quickly went downhill from that awful cliché hated by bookworms everywhere: “I let out a breath I only now realised I’ve been holding”. Later on, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall was incorrectly referenced as being written by Emily Brontë. I know this is nit-picking but the fact that little
Kat
Jan 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me feel really uncomfortable. I wanted to stop reading and say I couldn't finish it. By the point I felt like this, I'd read a lot of it though so I carried on. I think the author has done it on purpose to make most of characters horrible and not feel anything but anger towards them. I liked holly and did throughout. even though I didn't like this book very much, I did get to the epilogue and want to read more of that.

Thanks goes to net galley and the publishers for providing me
Nilton Teixeira
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this book was a great surprise to me and I can’t remember how it ended up on my list of books ordered from the public library. It is a well written drama. The storyline may not be pleasant (or suitable) for some, but it did not upset me or made me want to stop. I was completely hooked and drawn to the story. I really needed to finish it. Only during the last 20% of the book I was finally shocked. To think that something like that may exist in real life is terrifying. It’s beyond my imagina ...more
Jill
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow this book took a turn I wasn't expecting toward a dark and deviant underworld that’s truly shocking and horrifying but at the same time very absorbing. I couldn't put this book down despite it's disturbing subject matter.
G
Sep 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
A big thank you to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for providing me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

TW: (gang) rape, homophobic undertones, one instance of racism, generally triggering

I'm a big fan of disturbing, creepy books. And yet...

Everything from this book also interested me from the start. From the description and the cover to everyone's reviews about how WEIRD it was. I like weird. But this wasn't necessarily good weird. This was under-developed, played-for-shock weird. Before I st
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »