Start by marking “The Dark Vault” as Want to Read:
The Dark Vault

The Dark Vault

(The Archived #1-2.5)

The two novels from The Archived Series appearing together for the first time.

Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.

Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Mackenzie Bishop’s grandfather first brought her here four years ago, when
Published November 13th 2018 by Titan Books Ltd (first published August 14th 2018)

Start your review of The Dark Vault
Lily ☁️
3 1/2 starsmy full review is now up on my blog!

“Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books. Each body has a story to tell …”

There is a reason why V.E. Schwab is so hugely successful, has earned herself such a loyal fanbase, and has taken not only the Young Adult, but also the Adult Fantasy genre by a storm—and that is her innate ability to create worlds, characters, and storylines that draw you in, mind and heart, and refuse to let you go.

The Dark Vault is, as expected, s
Kai
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The reason I'm rating this book before its release is that I have read this series before. And if you have not, make sure you do.
Amelia
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Archived: 4.5 stars
The Unbound: 5 stars
Ashley Daviau
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s been a week since I’ve finished this book and I’m still struggling to pull my thoughts together because it was so freaking fabulous that it blew my mind into space. This volume contains both books and a short story from The Archived series and I’m glad they came in one handy package because this series is so damn binge worthy! I’ve absolutely loved everything I’ve read by Schwab but this series is in a whole other universe of greatness and by far my favourite by her. The world she created i ...more
Hamad
May 25, 2020 marked it as to-read
Victoria Schwab is a queen and I wanna read all her books!!

description
Drewthereader20
Finally finished this!!!!(:
1) The archived 4/5 stars
2) The unbound 4/5 stars
2.5) Leave the window open 3/5 stars!!
Lata
2020-05 The Unbound: Interesting. Mackenzie questions her sanity as she keeps encountering Owen in what first seem to be dreams, then, later, in her daily life. Also, there are people disappearing, and Mackenzie starts at a new school, only to get a surprise on her first day.
Lots of action, a growing relationship between Mackenzie and Wesley (who's the best!), and, my biggest complaint with this story: Mackenzie refuses to confide in anyone! Augh! Drove me up the wall! So much of the story's act
Kate (beautifulbookland)
Earlier on in the year, if I had to list authors who just didn’t agree with me, V. E. Schwab woulda been one of them. I read A Darker Shade of Magic and the Monsters of Verity series and, while I didn’t dislike them, I wasn’t blown away.

I am now, as they say, eating humble pie because latest books of hers that I’ve read have been fire. I adored Vengeful, but The Vault has stolen my heart.

This book contains both books in The Archived series, plus a short story from Wesley’s point of view (I AM
Marie
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2018-releases
Schwab never ever disappoints with her books and she builds amazing worlds, I am amazed every single time. The Dark Vault was everything I wanted it to be, mysterious, a little creepy at times, filled with suspense and twists and gripping from page one. A wonderful series! :)

Read my full review of The Dark Vault on the blog.

Thank you to Titan Books for sending me a review copy of this book. This did not, in any way, influenced my thoughts and rating.

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitt
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
> 4 stars!

Given this is a bind-up of two books, it’s slightly hard to review errr book one was a 3.5 for me, but book 2 was a steady 4! So I guess I’ll round it up and stick with a 4 overall because I’m a diehard Schwab stan

- honestly I really enjoyed this, Schwab creates really memorable worlds and I’m glad this omnibus edition got released because otherwise I probably would not have read this series :(( (I was too lazy to get my hands on it before, SORRY)

The Dark Vault is a bind up that contains all three stories in Victoria Schwab's Archived series together in print for the first time. I'm going to review each of the stories separately but this has been a really fun series to read so it's one I'd definitely recommend trying.

The Archived:

Imagine a world where after you die a kind of copy of your soul is taken to the Archive to be kept as part of the world history. These copies, also known as “Histories”, contain all of your memories and thou
Sabrina Ye
wtf why I didn't know this until now?????😅
Lorna (lornaslibrary)
It pains me to DNF V.E. Schwab, it really, really does, but if I have to read one more page of Mackenzie Bishop's dumb choices I'm going to start pulling my own hair out. I don't usually write full reviews for DNFs but since I only had 100 pages left of The Unbound I think I've read enough to form a valid opinion.

Plus
-Wesley Ayers
-The Archive itself is a really interesting concept with a lot of potential

Minus
-Mackenzie makes the stupidest life choices I've
Lauren
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
2nd read: Makes me so sad the publisher didn't pick up book three - I wanted to see Mac and Wes become crew

1st read: A new favourite, as predicted.

There was nothing I didn't love about this book: the characters, the world building and the storyline were all fantastic.

I would happily re-read this several times and then some.

Please, please tell me there's going to be more.
Caylynn
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Perfection. Gorgeous. Stunning. Brilliant.

Victoria Schwab can do no wrong. Even when it comes to the books I didn't love as much, such as City of Ghosts and The Near Witch, I know for a fact that there are plenty of readers out there who will consider those books to be as beloved as Schwab's other books are to me.

Full review to come tomorrow, because I technically have to write a review for two books instead of one. Wish me luck lol.
Chanel
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Closer to 3.5 or 3.75 but I’m rounding up because I liked it The Unbound better the The Archived. Though I could’ve done without the cheesy love story at the end...

Wouldn’t call this my favorite Schwab work, but I liked it better than Monsters of Verity. 🤷🏽‍♀️
Hannah
The Archived - 4 ⭐️ stars
The Unbound - 4.5 ⭐️ stars

What can I say? I simply love Schwabs writing style.
This story was unexpected and original. I loved the characters - especially Wes and Mac have won my heart. They’re just so pure and ugh I just wanna hug them.
At the first half of the first book I struggled to fully get into the story. This quickly changed as soon as I understood the world and their characters and it then turned into a lot of fun.
I only had some minor issues throughout the serie
Laura (crofteereader)
This is the first book by VE Schwab that I've read that I didn't get bored reading. Unlike in Shades of Magic and Villains, there is no point in which the plot stops or we follow a character who isn't doing anything (I never thought I'd really appreciate first person narrators but in this case I do).

Mackenzie Bishop has an interesting and slightly unbelievable life: she works for a mysterious supernatural organization called The Archive, wrangling Histories (kind of like ghosts but not) that esc
Angelique Simonsen
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best Y/A fantasy I have read all year!! So believable and the storyline was fascinating. I kinda ate this book up lol
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Archived
I have to admit, I found this a little confusing at first. It took me nearly 60 pages to get certain characters straight in my head. However, I was certainly intrigued! The story was quite sad and a lot darker than I expected, with lots of tugging on the heartstrings.

Mackenzie was a likeable protagonist (though sometimes I was unsure of her exact age). And Wesley was certainly book boyfriend material. One of my favourite characters, though, was Roland. He was a precious Hufflepu
Kelly
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full RTC.

The Archived- 4.5 stars.
The Unbound- 4 stars. Also, the extra short story from Wes's POV was really sweet. :)
Overall rating- 4.25 stars.
Do
Shelves: favorites
4.5 🌟
Review to come !
Romana
If had read this series a few years ago, before reading everything else Victoria has written, I'd probably have rated it higher. But it's very clearly one of her earlier works. It's still good and I loved the concept and the mystery. But the writing and the characters are not up to her usual standard. Not bad by any means, but they can't really compare.

Full review
Paige Green
Disclaimer: I bought this on my own for my book club!

Book Series: The Archieved 1-2.5

Rating: 3/5

Publication Date: August 14, 2018

Genre: YA Paranormal

Recommended Age: 15+ (language, some gore, some violence, some mature scenes involving what can be seen as sex)

Publisher: Disney-Hyperion

Pages: 704

Amazon Link

Synopsis: Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.
Monogamist
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I am going to say right away, I have a lot of respect for V.E.Schwab. She is an amazing Writer and she always tells us great stories (Monsters of Verity is one of my fave series ever - I swear).

However, I am always scared of her fans, so if I now say that I really disliked this book and I couldn't wait to be over, I am super worried fans are going to troll me.

I picked this book as Christmas break read, but it totally killed the vibe. The beginning completely threw me off, it was so confusing a
Steff
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the Archive, the dead rest on the shelves like books. Sometimes they wake up and it is Mackenzie Bishop’s job to return the Histories before they slip into madness. As a strange boy appears in Mackenzie’s territory, the Archive is plunged into unrest and Mackenzie uncovers a murder that does not let her go...

I have set myself a challenge this year: to review every book I read. It is only appropriate that I should start with a series written by one of my favorite authors. After Shades of Magic
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)
Every time I read V.E. Schwab, I understand EXACTLY why she has such a huge and quite loyal fanbase – her ability to create such unique plots with vivid and absolutely breath-taking worlds and characters you can’t help but root for; even if they are some of the greyest characters ever to grace our fictional lives!

THE DARK VAULT is a binded copy of the two novels  - The Archived and The Unbound – marvellously written and easily peaking the interest of the readers right from the start – easily evo
Lyra
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I finished this book in the early hours of the morning, having been unable to drop the book after reaching the climax. My thoughts went to the book in most hours of my day, and they also accompanied me in my dreams. I expected to find words and feelings for this series, instead I found I couldn’t pinpoint my exact emotions, except for a warm sense of satisfaction.

Schwab is bloody good at what she does. I am still in that bubble that I have where time doesn’t seem to exist, and I feel like I’m fl
S.M. Boren
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book from Amazon to read with my bestie @mycornerforbooksand and @popthebutterfly readalong. All opinions are my own. 🌟🌟🌟🌟The Dark Vault: The Archived by Victoria Schwab. Mackenzie Bishop's family is moving into an old hotel to open a new coffee shop but the secrets she keeps may be her undoing. New friends in a new place make for a busy transition and History should just be left alone. Once you unwrap one piece the rest comes unraveling quickly. This book in the beginning was c ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Shades of Magic Vol. 2: Night of Knives
  • Vengeful (Villains, #2)
  • Shades of Magic Vol. 1: The Steel Prince
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • Vicious (Villains, #1)
  • Ghosted in L.A. #1
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • The Modern Faerie Tales: Tithe; Valiant; Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #1-3)
  • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
  • The Steel Prince #3 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #3)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3)
  • Warm Up  (Villains, #0.5)
  • The Deck of Omens (The Devouring Gray, #2)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2)
Victoria is the product of a British mother, a Beverly Hills father, and a southern upbringing. Because of this, she has been known to say "tom-ah-toes," "like," and "y'all."

She also tells stories.

She loves fairy tales, and folklore, and stories that make her wonder if the world is really as it seems.

The Archived (3 books)
  • The Archived (The Archived, #1)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • The Returned (The Archived, #3)